PDA

View Full Version : Jade Pheonix Psion: Broken or Not

Amphetryon
2011-08-12, 09:12 PM
What it says on the tin. Would it be breaking anything - comparatively speaking - to allow JPM to be entered via a psionic class and progress that class instead of the normal casting class? Any obvious pitfalls I'm overlooking?

Seerow
2011-08-12, 09:15 PM
Given a psion is in of itself slightly weaker than a Wizard, I'd be inclined to say that it's fine.

Eldariel
2011-08-12, 09:18 PM
Further, given JPM is on the weaker side of a hybrid PRC it would be more than fine. Compared to RKV, JPM is positively tame (and the entry requirements are harsh; can't get in before level 7). It's definitely more than fair but I think it's better to homebrew a more appropriate combination PRC (given much of JPM is very fluff-specific and doesn't make sense on most initiator/psions who probably focus on Diamond Mind anyways).

Drachasor
2011-08-12, 09:58 PM
Further, given JPM is on the weaker side of a hybrid PRC it would be more than fine. Compared to RKV, JPM is positively tame (and the entry requirements are harsh; can't get in before level 7). It's definitely more than fair but I think it's better to homebrew a more appropriate combination PRC (given much of JPM is very fluff-specific and doesn't make sense on most initiator/psions who probably focus on Diamond Mind anyways).

Eh, the Fluff can be freely ignored, but I agree JPM is on the weak side for hybrid PrCs.

Amphetryon
2011-08-12, 10:53 PM

Character is being brought in at level 7, which eases some of that pain. I'm thinking he'll have the option of by the book "light side" or "dark side" focusing instead on Shadow Hand/Setting Sun (unless there's a better option).

HunterOfJello
2011-08-12, 11:05 PM
a Jade Pheonix Ardent would be pretty badass. that's all i can think of

Eldariel
2011-08-13, 05:19 AM
Eh, the Fluff can be freely ignored, but I agree JPM is on the weak side for hybrid PrCs.

It can but many of the abilities are pretty non-sensical. "I explode"; wut. "But then you exploded again. You really got to stop doing that." Sigh. There's some good stuff there, though.

Akal Saris
2011-08-13, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I don't think allowing it would break any games. Psionics always needs more support anyhow.

Drachasor
2011-08-13, 08:11 AM
It can but many of the abilities are pretty non-sensical. "I explode"; wut. "But then you exploded again. You really got to stop doing that." Sigh. There's some good stuff there, though.

Might as well say magic itself is nonsensical. I don't see your point.

Eldariel
2011-08-13, 09:19 AM
Might as well say magic itself is nonsensical. I don't see your point.

I'm just saying it ain't the greatest of abilities and if making a Psionic Initiator, I'd rather get something more useful. It's just not the kinda ability I feel one really should be receiving in a generic version of the class.

Drachasor
2011-08-13, 10:15 AM
I'm just saying it ain't the greatest of abilities and if making a Psionic Initiator, I'd rather get something more useful. It's just not the kinda ability I feel one really should be receiving in a generic version of the class.

Agreed, the abilities are not that great. I think they make perfect sense for what they are though. In some ways I think they make more sense as a psionic class. That's the feeling I have anyhow.

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-13, 12:11 PM
a Jade Pheonix Ardent would be pretty badass. that's all i can think of

Yeah, Ardent is about the strongest thing you can reasonably expect with this. Take a look at a full-ML Ardent JPM and consider whether you'd allow it. If so, nothing else that's reasonable PO will really be as powerful.

faceroll
2011-08-13, 12:13 PM
Yeah, Ardent is about the strongest thing you can reasonably expect with this. Take a look at a full-ML Ardent JPM and consider whether you'd allow it. If so, nothing else that's reasonable PO will really be as powerful.

Aren't Ardents extremely restricted on powers known, especially multiclassing ardents with so few mantles?

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-13, 01:38 PM
Yes, but with things like mantle substitution or maybe some thematic choices that usually isn't a huge problem.

I mean I guess Ardent isn't THE STRONGEST, but I can see it being one of the better approaches to a non-full-progression class like this. Maybe a psion or erudite can be stronger overall with a larger or more versatile power selection, but Ardent's your best shot at having the highest level powers with this, which is what I wanted him to consider.

DeAnno
2011-08-13, 03:01 PM
The problem with not fully advanced Ardents flinging high ML powers about with abandon is they nova themselves really quickly. I don't know too much about building them, but I think you'd definitely want to focus on long term buffs.