PDA

View Full Version : Spellblade [3.5 class]

ideasmith
2011-08-12, 10:19 PM
Spellblade

Basically, I gestalted the five core NPC classes and wrote the result up as a PC class.

Hit Die: d8
Alignment: Any.

Class Skills
The spellblade’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: All skills are class skills for the spellblade.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Spellbade
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3| Summon familiar

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Bonus feat

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+2|
+5|

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5| Bonus feat

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+3|
+6| |

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7| Bonus feat

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+4|
+8|

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8| |

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+5|
+9| Bonus feat

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10| |
18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11|

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11| Bonus feat

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12| [/table]

{table=head]Per-Day
{table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | - | - | -
1st | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
2nd | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
3rd | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - | - |
4th | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
5th | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
6th | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
7th | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
8th | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - | - | - | - |
9th | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - |
10th | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - |
11th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - | - |
12th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - | - | - |
13th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - |
14th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | - |
15th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - | - |
16th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - | - |
17th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - |
18th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | - |
19th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - |
20th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - |
[/table][/table]

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the spellblade NPC class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The spellblade is proficient in the use of all simple and martial weapons and all armor and shields.

Spells: A spellblade casts divine spells which are drawn from the adept spell list. Like a cleric, a spellblade must choose and prepare her spells in advance. Unlike a cleric, a spellblade cannot spontaneously cast cure or inflict spells.
To prepare or cast a spell, a spellblade must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a spellblade’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the spellblade’s Wisdom modifier.
Spellblades, unlike wizards, do not acquire their spells from books or scrolls, nor do they prepare them through study. Instead, they meditate or pray for their spells, receiving them as divine inspiration or through their own strength of faith. Each spellblade must choose a time each day at which she must spend an hour in quiet contemplation or supplication to regain her daily allotment of spells. Time spent resting has no effect on whether a spellblade can prepare spells.
Like other spellcasters, a spellblade can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on the table above. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score.
When the table above indicates that the spellblade gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level, she gains only the bonus spells she would be entitled to based on her Wisdom score for that spell level.
Each spellblade has a particular holy symbol (as a divine focus) depending on the spellblade’s magical tradition.
Summon Familiar: At 2nd level, a spellblade can call a familiar, just as a sorcerer or wizard can.
Bonus Feats: At 3rd level, and every four levels thereafter (at 7th, 11th, 15th, and 19th), a spellblade gains a bonus feat. At each such opportunity, she can choose a feat. The spellblade must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat.
These bonus feats are in addition to the feat that a character of any class gets from advancing levels.

Change Log

8/13/2011: Added basic concept. (Thank you, Pyromancer999)

8/13/2011: Fixed levels in spells per day table (Thank you, Pyromancer999, Ziegander)

8/13/2011: Removed misplaced '-', (Thank you, Zale)

8/16/2011: Changed class skills to ‘all skills’. (Thank you, Ziegander)

8/16/2011: Added bonus feats (Thank you Zale, Pyromancer 999)

Pyromancer999
2011-08-12, 11:03 PM
An NPC version of the Duskblade? Well done. Still, I'd suggest making a short, more melee-oriented class spell list as opposed to the Adept Spell list, which is more a small time cleric/wizard list. Also, I'd suggest maybe only allowing access up to 5th level spells.

Ziegander
2011-08-12, 11:26 PM
Two points:

1) That class skill list is pretty extensive. In the Core rules there are only 11 skills not in that list. I suggest limiting them to the Adept's list of class skills + 10 skills of the Spellblade's choice.

2) The Adept spell list only goes up to 5th level spells... you're better off making your own spell list.

Zale
2011-08-12, 11:30 PM
3) Your table shows you getting -3 1st level spells at level six. May want to fix that.

ideasmith
2011-08-13, 03:26 PM
An NPC version of the Duskblade? Well done. Still, I'd suggest making a short, more melee-oriented class spell list as opposed to the Adept Spell list, which is more a small time cleric/wizard list. Also, I'd suggest maybe only allowing access up to 5th level spells.
I intend this as a PC class and am not familiar with the Duskblade. The spells-per-day above 5th were a typo.

Two points:

1) That class skill list is pretty extensive. In the Core rules there are only 11 skills not in that list. I suggest limiting them to the Adept's list of class skills + 10 skills of the Spellblade's choice.
I am not sure what makes an extensive skill list a problem, or how you decided which two NPC classes to suggest retaining class skills from.

2) The Adept spell list only goes up to 5th level spells... you're better off making your own spell list.
The spells-per-day above 5th were a typo. Fixed.

3) Your table shows you getting -3 1st level spells at level six. May want to fix that.
Fixed.

Zale
2011-08-13, 03:35 PM
So you put together all of the NPC classes and got this?

Interesting.

You may want to give them a few more class features, though.

Ziegander
2011-08-13, 04:31 PM
I am not sure what makes an extensive skill list a problem, or how you decided which two NPC classes to suggest retaining class skills from.

It isn't a problem except that the "choice of 10 other skills" is really a just of which 1 skill do I not want. Which is a bit disingenuous. There's just no reason for them to have every skill except 1.

Pyromancer999
2011-08-14, 12:59 PM
I intend this as a PC class and am not familiar with the Duskblade. The spells-per-day above 5th were a typo.

Really? Then this needs work. The Duskblade(from Player's Handbook II) has all these class features and more, excepting Summon Familiar, and is also quite a bit more powerful than this class is.

Ziegander
2011-08-14, 05:25 PM
This class makes me want to build the vancian version of the PsyWar.

ideasmith
2011-08-14, 06:09 PM
So you put together all of the NPC classes and got this?

Interesting.

You may want to give them a few more class features, though.
Looks like.

It isn't a problem except that the "choice of 10 other skills" is really a just of which 1 skill do I not want. Which is a bit disingenuous. There's just no reason for them to have every skill except 1.
In that case, I would go with increasing the class skills to “All skills are class skills.

Really? Then this needs work. The Duskblade(from Player's Handbook II) has all these class features and more, excepting Summon Familiar, and is also quite a bit more powerful than this class is.
Okay, the spellblade needs some upgrading. Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I’m going with bonus feats. Any suggestions as to how many?

Morph Bark
2011-08-14, 07:09 PM
Lacks Magewright. :smallyuk::smalltongue:

Seriously though, this is basically what I'm doing for most royalty in my current campaign, as the human king requires his progeny to become capable in magic, swordsmanship and also have the support of at least two churches before he'll consider them for inheriting the throne.

Two points:

Or giving them all skills.

Pyromancer999
2011-08-14, 07:39 PM
Okay, the spellblade needs some upgrading. Unless someone comes up with a better idea, I’m going with bonus feats. Any suggestions as to how many?

It really depends on what kinds of bonus feats you intend to offer? Fighter? Reserve? Some other type? Select as you will?

Also, if you're interested, I have a few suggestions(and a class feature I was planning to use for a Duskblade remake but probably won't make as I'm tied up with some other stuff) that I'd be willing to contribute, if you're interested.

Maraxus1
2011-08-15, 06:45 AM
It's not just because there is a stronger class, this class is bad. If you think in this way, with every new class that has to top all previous classes, your game becomes more power-loaded. This is okay if you want to sell books but it does not need to be for homebrew stuff.

What this class shines at, that the Duskblade does not is 2+Int skills vs. 6+Int skills.
Also the Duskblade has a very limited number of spells known (Level +1 plus some cantrips), while this class knows all it's spells.
The Duskblade has quite a number of swift spells on his list, while the Adept has a few utility goodies (Invisibility, web, polymorph) above the Duskblade. However, the Duskblade can spontaneously cast then and has a plethora of spells per day (personal opinion, the player probably thinks you can never have enough spells pay day. I think double-digits simply don't belong into that table...)
And the duskblade has a few special abilities, some dedicated to casting in armor, what this divine spellcaster already does, a bit for the quickening (overlapping with his swift spells) and then channeling touch spells into real attacks.

I think the classes are sufficiently different so that they can both exists. If you'd value them, the Duskblade would be slightly ahead, but I'd say, the Spellblade is halfway between the Duskblade and the Bard (who we all know is useless but still fun to have around): Now the Spellblade's spell list has better straightforward spells (lightning bold, baleful polymorph) but less utility. They are en par on skills, bardic knowledge and music are better then a familiar but the good BAB and divine spell casting (armored not only in light) more then outweigh the special ability advantage.

ideasmith
2011-08-15, 11:53 AM
This class makes me want to build the vancian version of the PsyWar.
Sounds interesting.

Lacks Magewright. :smallyuk::smalltongue:
When doing, 3.5, I mostly stick with OGL sources.

Seriously though, this is basically what I'm doing for most royalty in my current campaign, as the human king requires his progeny to become capable in magic, swordsmanship and also have the support of at least two churches before he'll consider them for inheriting the throne.
Sounds interesting

Or giving them all skills.
Which is what I will probably end up doing.

It really depends on what kinds of bonus feats you intend to offer? Fighter? Reserve? Some other type? Select as you will?
If I go with bonus feats at all, most likely, ‘whatever the spellblade has the prerequisites for'.

Also, if you're interested, I have a few suggestions(and a class feature I was planning to use for a Duskblade remake but probably won't make as I'm tied up with some other stuff) that I'd be willing to contribute, if you're interested.
I am interested in suggestions. Thank you.

It's not just because there is a stronger class, this class is bad. If you think in this way, with every new class that has to top all previous classes, your game becomes more power-loaded. This is okay if you want to sell books but it does not need to be for homebrew stuff.

What this class shines at, that the Duskblade does not is 2+Int skills vs. 6+Int skills.
Also the Duskblade has a very limited number of spells known (Level +1 plus some cantrips), while this class knows all it's spells.
The Duskblade has quite a number of swift spells on his list, while the Adept has a few utility goodies (Invisibility, web, polymorph) above the Duskblade. However, the Duskblade can spontaneously cast then and has a plethora of spells per day (personal opinion, the player probably thinks you can never have enough spells pay day. I think double-digits simply don't belong into that table...)
And the duskblade has a few special abilities, some dedicated to casting in armor, what this divine spellcaster already does, a bit for the quickening (overlapping with his swift spells) and then channeling touch spells into real attacks.

I think the classes are sufficiently different so that they can both exists. If you'd value them, the Duskblade would be slightly ahead, but I'd say, the Spellblade is halfway between the Duskblade and the Bard (who we all know is useless but still fun to have around): Now the Spellblade's spell list has better straightforward spells (lightning bold, baleful polymorph) but less utility. They are en par on skills, bardic knowledge and music are better then a familiar but the good BAB and divine spell casting (armored not only in light) more then outweigh the special ability advantage.
I may have spoken too soon on the ‘needs upgrading’ issue. Especially with both lightning bolt and baleful polymorph on the adept spell list.

Pyromancer999
2011-08-15, 01:46 PM
I am interested in suggestions. Thank you.

Alright then, here are my suggestions:

Give them Blade Channel, like the Duskblade. Yes, it may be already used as a class feature, but it's a good one for a melee/spellcasting type
Look through the Duskblade Spell List and the Spell Compendium(if available) to replace a few Adept spells that aren't necessarily suited to a warrior, or at least add a little more warrior-mage flavor to the list. For that matter, you might want to look at Complete Warrior for some spells.
Duskblade also had stuf to boost the DC of spells cast through Blade Channel, so you might want to consider something like that

Also, the class feature I was talking about basically was this: Use a spell through Blade Channel? Okay, here's some free levels of metamagic effects. Thoughts?

ideasmith
2011-08-16, 12:23 PM

Give them Blade Channel, like the Duskblade. Yes, it may be already used as a class feature, but it's a good one for a melee/spellcasting type
Look through the Duskblade Spell List and the Spell Compendium(if available) to replace a few Adept spells that aren't necessarily suited to a warrior, or at least add a little more warrior-mage flavor to the list. For that matter, you might want to look at Complete Warrior for some spells.
Duskblade also had stuf to boost the DC of spells cast through Blade Channel, so you might want to consider something like that

Also, the class feature I was talking about basically was this: Use a spell through Blade Channel? Okay, here's some free levels of metamagic effects. Thoughts?

Thank you. I decided to go with bonus feats instead for a number of reasons, one of which is not having access to the sources you are asking me to draw from.

ideasmith
2011-08-16, 12:25 PM

Thank you. I decided to go with bonus feats instead for a number of reasons, one of which is not having access to the sources you are asking me to draw from.