PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking my last feat

Mikka
2011-08-13, 01:09 PM
I'm having a real hard time picking my last feat. I just don't know what to get, does anyone have any suggestions? :thog:

Ohh, and i guess im very open to other suggestions as well. Im going straight Chameleon from here on (Races of Destiny) , here she is:

Baralta Silvermane

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-IXhGg-mhgV0/TkPxM4Rb6CI/AAAAAAAAALA/p7ECNOm_RMk/another_girl_by_zoonoid-d3jna5o.jpg

Walking with the sure economical and confident movements of a soldier theres no doubt about Baraltas profession. While her silken silver hair and shapely features could have lead one to believe she was a genteel damsel the scars covering her face and the ever distrustful scowl on her brow wipes away any thoughts in that direction. She wears a mixture of well worn plate and mail protecting her vitals while leaving her limbs relatively unencumbered and with enough room to move. A scratched and dented iron shield has been slung across her back where it hangs below a pair of quivers and a crossbow. A slender blade is on each hip, both in unremarkable wood and leather scabbards that are nearly as worn as her shield.

Thanks for the help guys :thog:

AMFV
2011-08-13, 01:15 PM
Weapon Focus (Quarterstaff).

But seriously, I would recommend something like Jack of All Trades, if you're going for the Chameleon feel it's mechanically inferior to a lot of options but it does open up your out of combat options considerably and allows you to do more stuff and essentially be more chameleony.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-13, 01:26 PM
Magic device attunement is a good one for jack of all trades, since it lets you use a magic device without a check if you can succeed once at it.

Greenish
2011-08-13, 01:31 PM
You could just drop one of the flaws if you can't figure a feat you'd need. :smalltongue:

By the way, isn't there a rule about burning most of your WBL on a single item?

Mikka
2011-08-13, 01:35 PM
if you're going for the Chameleon feel it's mechanically inferior to a lot of options but it does open up your out of combat options considerably and allows you to do more stuff and essentially be more chameleony.

Its not so much chameleonishness im looking for as much as fun versatility.

but say, what would you suggest for a spellsword kind of character? : )

There is? D:

Magic device attunement is a good one for jack of all trades, since it lets you use a magic device without a check if you can succeed once at it.

Less useful considering she can activate all arcane and divine devices because of her spellcasting : O

Mikka
2011-08-13, 01:36 PM
Weapon Finesse or Leadership?

Any other suggestions?

Metahuman1
2011-08-13, 02:50 PM
Improved Initiative is always neat. Keen Intellect could be useful (Dump Wis.), if you wanted to dip a level of Warblade, Crusader, or Swordsage, I'd say get Adaptive Style.

Yorrin
2011-08-13, 02:58 PM
I'd grab Martial Study: Shadow Jaunt, then have your next two feats be Martial Stance: Child of Shadow and Shadow Blade. Dex to damage is nice.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-13, 03:22 PM
There is a teleportation reserve feat that grants you unlimited shortrange teleports, and another that grants you infinite healing. They would work for jack of all trade types as well.

Yorrin
2011-08-13, 03:23 PM
There is a teleportation reserve feat that grants you unlimited shortrange teleports, and another that grants you infinite healing. They would work for jack of all trade types as well.

Good call. Dimensional Jaunt in Complete Mage, iirc.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-13, 05:54 PM
I think the DMG might make it a 'suggestion,' thus not a rule at all. And ya, I think it suggests the DM prevent players from putting more than half their gold in a single item.

This is also good for several reasons.
Starting a character at level 19 or 20, you can afford some of the cheaper epic items. So drop most of your wealth into the right [epic] item, and find yourself significantly more powerful than the character who spread their wealth out over 20 different magic items.

Also, putting all of your gold into a single magic item is extremely risky. It's too easy to get items stolen or broken.

As is, your character is a level 6 character who is extremely poor in terms of items. As a caster type, it hurts you less than it would a fighter, but still, it is painful.
Except for a few rounds per day when you grant yourself an extra action.

I'd really suggest ditching the belt of battle for now. Invest in some basic defenses like AC and saves. Watch your survivability go up.

Do you really want to use that netherese battle curse, since it works off of your dump stat?

Xtomjames
2011-08-13, 06:41 PM
Spellfire Wielder...

herrhauptmann
2011-08-13, 06:48 PM
Spellfire Wielder...

Hmmm, not too bad an idea I think.
Requires Magic of Faerun of course. DM might nix/change it due to being 3.0.

Grants you a pool of spellfire. 1d6 damage per level expended. Half damage is fire, half is raw energy. Reflex save for half.
Or 2 points of HP healed per level expended.

Spellfire by itself isn't very powerful. But having it grants you options, and a lot of ready made enemies (cult of dragon, zhents, etc). Avoid spellfire channeler PrC.

Mikka
2011-08-13, 08:35 PM
I think the DMG might make it a 'suggestion,' thus not a rule at all. And ya, I think it suggests the DM prevent players from putting more than half their gold in a single item.

This is also good for several reasons.
Starting a character at level 19 or 20, you can afford some of the cheaper epic items. So drop most of your wealth into the right [epic] item, and find yourself significantly more powerful than the character who spread their wealth out over 20 different magic items.

Also, putting all of your gold into a single magic item is extremely risky. It's too easy to get items stolen or broken.

As is, your character is a level 6 character who is extremely poor in terms of items. As a caster type, it hurts you less than it would a fighter, but still, it is painful.
Except for a few rounds per day when you grant yourself an extra action.

I'd really suggest ditching the belt of battle for now. Invest in some basic defenses like AC and saves. Watch your survivability go up.

Do you really want to use that netherese battle curse, since it works off of your dump stat?

Hmm, you may be right.

Lets see. .

Ring of protection +1 , 2k

Mithral Full plate 10k ..

+5 AC :D

. . . or what to do what to do. . .

And yes, i think im losing the netherese battle curse as well. +1 to attack and an odd chance for a minor curse is not really worth it.

I'm considering changing race to Illumian and getting Uurkrau sigil. . would let me cast cleric spells substantially easier (from chameleon) boost my CL slightly and it kinda fits with the blue glow of my character portrait..

That or ANOTHER feat : P

I'm leaning towards weapon finesse with the first.. but 1 feat for +2 to attack doesn't seem that cool. .even if my dex might improve by 2-4 eventually.

Go illumian, uurkrau. Make dex 18, int 16. Go finesse (+3 to hit, +1 ac) , -18 skillpoints ,

lose Belt of Battle , make Mithril Breastplate (4000) , gloves of dexterity +2 (4000), Ring of Deflection (2000) Mithril Steel Shield (1000)

+4 AC

?. .. hmmm!

herrhauptmann
2011-08-13, 09:12 PM
Can you swap out your flaws? Perhaps vulnerable for murky eyed?

Also, I'd suggest the martial study/stance feats from ToB.
I believe that Iron Mind has a maneuver (low level too) that lets you swap a concentration check for your reflex save. It would be a 1/encounter thing I think, but that could be enough to save your bacon when you need it.

And I bet that your reflex save is pretty low yeah?

OOH OOH!
There's the martial discipline items in the back of ToB as well. Without a martial class, they're of limited use, but still good. Or a weapon with a martial ability.
Perhaps a shadow hand rapier, now when you're in a SH stance, or using a SH maneuver, you get a +1 or +2 to attack and/or damage. (Sorry, away from books right now. So some details are fuzzy)
Just what you need, more decisions.:smallwink:

Greenish
2011-08-13, 09:33 PM
Can you swap out your flaws? Perhaps vulnerable for murky eyed?Murky-Eyed is arguably more serious than Vulnerable.

I believe that Iron Mind has a maneuver (low level too) that lets you swap a concentration check for your reflex save.It's 2nd level Diamond Mind maneuver, Action Before Thought. Iron Heart's key skill is balance (though it's not used in any maneuver).

Perhaps a shadow hand rapier, now when you're in a SH stance, or using a SH maneuver, you get a +1 or +2 to attack and/or damage. (Sorry, away from books right now. So some details are fuzzy)+3 to attack. You'd need two feats to get any of the Shadow Hand stances, though.

Jopustopin
2011-08-13, 09:48 PM
I hate to be "that guy" on the forums but Duskblades cannot qualify for chameleon unless they have a way of making Bluff a class skill.

Greenish
2011-08-13, 09:55 PM
I hate to be "that guy" on the forums but Duskblades cannot qualify for chameleon unless they have a way of making Bluff a class skill.Ah, that's one feat slot filled. Criminal Background, City of Stormreach.

Seems her childhood wasn't quite so privileged. :smalltongue:

AMFV
2011-08-13, 10:20 PM
I hate to be "that guy" on the forums but Duskblades cannot qualify for chameleon unless they have a way of making Bluff a class skill.

Sure they can, at level 13.

Disguise would be a lot harder to get than bluff in any case.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-13, 10:57 PM
Murky-Eyed is arguably more serious than Vulnerable.

It's 2nd level Diamond Mind maneuver, Action Before Thought. Iron Heart's key skill is balance (though it's not used in any maneuver).

+3 to attack. You'd need two feats to get any of the Shadow Hand stances, though.

Ouch, didn't realize I was that off on the names. Even without having the books handy, that's pretty bad.

What do you mean by "more serious?"
If the game doesn't often have creatures with concealment, then murky eyed becomes the ideal flaw: hardly ever affects the character. :smallbiggrin: