PDA

View Full Version : Hengenyokai sparrow?

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-13, 01:27 PM
The hengenyokai from oriental adventures has an alternate form that is a sparrow. I can't seem to find stats for a sparrow anywhere though. is it fine sized? what would the stat adjustments be? what would my flight speed be? Could I be a psion and just be a tiny bird flying around exploding people heads? cause if so, awesome.

Rogue Shadows
2011-08-13, 01:48 PM
The hengenyokai from oriental adventures has an alternate form that is a sparrow. I can't seem to find stats for a sparrow anywhere though.

I'm pretty sure you just use the stats from Table 1-3: Hengeyokai Animal Forms, on page 12 of Oriental Adventures, plus your own stats.

EDIT:
Remember that as of the update to 3.5 provided by Dragon Magazine #318, hengeyokai are now Humanoid (shapechanger) rather than Shapechangers, and they have no level adjustment.

is it fine sized?

Table says yes.

what would the stat adjustments be? what would my flight speed be?

According to the table, as a sparrow, you have: STR 1, DEX 23, CON 10; AC 24 (+8 size, +6 dex), 1 foot land speed; base fly speed of 50 feet (no maneuverability is given, but given what I've seen sparrows be able to do IRL, I'd say "perfect")

EDIT
Oh, and you have no natural attacks whatsoever in sparrow form, according to the table.

Could I be a psion and just be a tiny bird flying around exploding people heads? cause if so, awesome.

YES.

You must do this thing.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-13, 02:04 PM
thank you so much! and no level adjustment? bad-ass. I always thought they weren't quite deserving of a full +1. I know what I'm being for my friends upcoming psionic campaign! It's my friends copy of oriental adventures and I didn't even notice the table. I feel stupid now. :smallredface:

Zale
2011-08-13, 02:17 PM
Could I be a psion and just be a tiny bird flying around exploding people heads? cause if so, awesome.

:cool:

Awesome funniness.

... That gives me an idea.

Could you have an awakened whale psion? :elan:

FMArthur
2011-08-13, 02:54 PM
Heheh, I remember also being confused by Hengeyokai the first time I read up on them because I didn't expect that they would have two different charts on different pages, one of which was after the race description ended and another had started.

BenInHB
2011-08-13, 03:28 PM
I would disagree with Perfect flight. Sparrows are very very agile fliers but I wouldn't call it perfect. The only animal I would give perfect flight would be a humming bird.

Rogue Shadows
2011-08-13, 03:48 PM
I would disagree with Perfect flight. Sparrows are very very agile fliers but I wouldn't call it perfect. The only animal I would give perfect flight would be a humming bird.

I have seen them dive through fences without even slowing down and change direction 180 degrees with a snap of the wings.

wuwuwu
2011-08-13, 03:52 PM
But they can't hover, so they don't have perfect maneuverability.

BiblioRook
2011-08-13, 04:55 PM

This right here is why I love animal characters. Particularly animal casters :smallbiggrin:

Rogue Shadows
2011-08-13, 04:56 PM
But they can't hover, so they don't have perfect maneuverability.

Nope, seen that too, when they're trying to get into their nests that they've tucked away in overhanging roofs and the like.

I don't think they can do it for very long, but they certainly can hover for a round or two.

Flickerdart
2011-08-13, 05:03 PM
Good maneuverability flight can both hover and turn on a dime. The only difference is turn angle and vertical flight speed.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-13, 06:09 PM
God this is awesome. I had a question about the whole changing shape thing. When I become a sparrow and my constitution goes down to 10, do I lose Hit points from my total?

Flickerdart
2011-08-13, 07:35 PM
God this is awesome. I had a question about the whole changing shape thing. When I become a sparrow and my constitution goes down to 10, do I lose Hit points from my total?
Nope. HP is not affected by shapechanging.

wuwuwu
2011-08-13, 07:44 PM
Good maneuverability flight can both hover and turn on a dime. The only difference is turn angle and vertical flight speed.

Oh, oops. :smallredface:
I thought for sure that only perfect could hover. Should look it up before I post, next time, shouldn't I?

NineThePuma
2011-08-13, 08:54 PM
Wanna know something amusing?

The Hummingbird is described as an example of something having Good maneuverability.

The Hummingbird statblock? Gives it Average maneuverability.

NNescio
2011-08-13, 09:07 PM

The Hummingbird is described as an example of something having Good maneuverability.

Wait... there's a statblock? I thought it just used the Thrush's.

NineThePuma
2011-08-13, 09:09 PM
It does =D

Darrin
2011-08-15, 06:33 AM

From the OA Web Errata:

"p. 11, Table 1-2: Crane and sparrow hengeyokai should list (average) after the fly speeds."

Kaje
2011-08-17, 07:37 PM
I love sparrow henges. Be a warlock to blast people to bits. Be a gestalt warlock/rogue to do it even better. Be a spellthief and sit on a factotum's shoulder all the time, spamming his SLAs.

Ditto
2011-08-17, 08:05 PM
May want to check errata on the errata... there was some discussion of this during an Iron Chef competition and there was an update to something beyond the dragon magazine item. It's still awesome, but you'll want to get all your facts straight. :smallbiggrin:

Mikka
2011-08-18, 03:50 AM
Strength Score Light Load Medium Load Heavy Load
1 3 lb. or less 4-6 lb. 7-10 lb.

Just don't plan on having any items xD

Darrin
2011-08-18, 06:23 AM
May want to check errata on the errata... there was some discussion of this during an Iron Chef competition and there was an update to something beyond the dragon magazine item. It's still awesome, but you'll want to get all your facts straight. :smallbiggrin:

I know in general Iron Chef doesn't allow Dragon Magazine material, but I'm unclear on their position on Dragon #318. There are quite a few differences between the published OA Web Errata and the 3.5 update. Most notably, the changes to Hengeyokai, Vanara, and various magic item costs only appear in Dragon #318. If your DM can't find that issue (it wasn't published anywhere else) or rules that he won't allow Dragon #318, then Hengeyokai go back to being LA +1, but the Vanara become the ultimate spellcaster race: Int +2, Wis +2, Str -2. The Kimono of Storing becomes an incredible bargain (4400 GP, two gloves of storing) along with the Wondrous Writing Set (2060 GP, +10 *untyped* bonus to Forgery checks).

Person_Man
2011-08-18, 09:24 AM
If you want to get into really hilarious (but less powerful) territory, try a Hengenyokai sparrow Knight. Take the Confound the Big Folk feat. Move into an enemy's space. Use Test of Mettle. Most enemies must Save or attack you (and not your allies). And 50% of the attacks that would hit you instead hit the creature whose space you are in (thanks to Confound). It's pretty much the best Aggro combo in the game.

Prime32
2011-08-18, 09:42 AM
A PF build I did recently: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12790

No brains
2011-08-18, 12:31 PM
If you want to get into really hilarious (but less powerful) territory, try a Hengenyokai sparrow Knight. Take the Confound the Big Folk feat. Move into an enemy's space. Use Test of Mettle. Most enemies must Save or attack you (and not your allies). And 50% of the attacks that would hit you instead hit the creature whose space you are in (thanks to Confound). It's pretty much the best Aggro combo in the game.

The bluebird of DESPAIR!

Further, in regards to shape changing into the sparrow, do magic items with passive effects like a cloak of charisma keep functioning?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-11-22, 05:28 PM
*Thread Necromancy*

Sorry for this, but it's asking the exact same question I have.

But what kind of items could still be worn/used by a sparrow?
Would something like Vow of Poverty aid the character at all?
Should I give it something like Telepathy to communicate with other players?
With carry weight, isn't items weight cut down drastically when made for fine creatures? If so how much is it cut down by?

nedz
2013-11-22, 05:54 PM
Plate Mail

Two rings should be OK

Rings have no appreciable weight