PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a dragon

Adindra
2011-08-13, 02:39 PM
How much does it cost to buy a dragon of say juvenile size?

I have a player playing a dragon rider and im trying to figure out how to get him a suitable mount to ride and i can't for the life of me figure out how to get one to him. :smallfrown:

Ernir
2011-08-13, 02:47 PM
Dragons are sentient, intelligent, and powerful creatures in 3.5. They are not sold.

But you can get one on your side with the Dragon Cohort feat (Draconomicon). Leadership works too, but Dragon Cohort is more specialized.

Coidzor
2011-08-13, 02:58 PM
Rage Drakes are alright for mid-level mounts, but they are not true dragons, just dragon typed.

If you're going to ride a dragon, you're pretty much stuck with non-true dragons or being a small-sized creature riding on a baby gold dragon super mount based off of paladin special mount interacting with dragon steed.

Yorrin
2011-08-13, 03:02 PM
Or you could use my houserule... whenever bargaining with powerful creatures that you come across, treat the interaction like Planar Binding. I'm pretty sure my players don't even know this is the official rule, either. I just have them roleplay it.

Drachasor
2011-08-13, 03:06 PM
1. Kill a dragon or have a dragon friend.
2. Have a sample of said dragon.
3. Be a Wizard or have a Wizard friend
4. Cast Simulacrum or use an item your friend made that lets you cast it once

Zale
2011-08-13, 03:11 PM
Dragons are sentient, intelligent, and powerful creatures in 3.5. They are not usually sold.

Fixed that for you. These are PCs after all, so you can throw morals out the window.

Apparently, the Arms and Equipment guide says they have to be reared from the egg to be trained (Because they will not consent to such a thing otherwise.) An Egg costs 10,000 gold. The training costs at least 5000 gold.

So you're better off just getting one as a cohort or just something that is a dragon for a given value of dragonyness.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-13, 03:23 PM
Fixed that for you. These are PCs after all, so you can throw morals out the window.

Apparently, the Arms and Equipment guide says they have to be reared from the egg to be trained (Because they will not consent to such a thing otherwise.) An Egg costs 10,000 gold. The training costs at least 5000 gold.

So you're better off just getting one as a cohort or just something that is a dragon for a given value of dragonyness.
Or playing as a Warforged/Elan and say "I spend each day feeding the dragon until its a Wyrm. Now its adventuring time!"

Jack_Simth
2011-08-13, 03:34 PM
Or playing as a Warforged/Elan and say "I spend each day feeding the dragon until its a Wyrm. Now its adventuring time!"It's really, really easy, as a DM, to prevent that, well within the rules:
Simply ignore the player's attempt to hand-waive away the time.

So while you're waiting the 1,001 years until the egg reached Wyrm status, if you're not going on adventures during that time, your character is out of the game. Have fun sitting off to the side.

Coidzor
2011-08-13, 03:43 PM
Or you could use my houserule... whenever bargaining with powerful creatures that you come across, treat the interaction like Planar Binding. I'm pretty sure my players don't even know this is the official rule, either. I just have them roleplay it.

Well, there's some Draconomonomnomicon stuff on the whole bargaining thing.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-13, 03:43 PM
It's really, really easy, as a DM, to prevent that, well within the rules:
Simply ignore the player's attempt to hand-waive away the time.

So while you're waiting the 1,001 years until the egg reached Wyrm status, if you're not going on adventures during that time, your character is out of the game. Have fun sitting off to the side.

"I begin crafting hand baskets" is one way, or "I level till I get Leadership, and then make a basket weaving empire" is another :p

I am not saying I would say "I wait till its a wyrm," but rolling a crafting check for handbaskets and then roleplaying haggling their sales could keep me entertained for a while.

Infernalbargain
2011-08-13, 05:05 PM
I believe it is underwater basket weaving that you're looking for.

Greenish
2011-08-14, 12:46 AM
It's really, really easy, as a DM, to prevent that, well within the rules:
Simply ignore the player's attempt to hand-waive away the time.So? OP is trying to figure a way to give his player a dragon, not to keep it away from him.