PDA

View Full Version : Gish Feats

yugi24862
2011-08-13, 03:21 PM
I'm making a 9th level Gish in Gestalt, using 2-handed weapons and Heavy armour. I've got 3 regular feats and 2 Fighter ones left to pick, and cant think of anything. Here is what I've got so far. Arcane Strike, Eschew Materials, Extend Spell, Power Attack, Heavy Armor Optimization. What else am I missing?

Yorrin
2011-08-13, 03:22 PM
Based on what you've posted I assume you're a Fighter|Wizard? Which classes (especially which caster) you pick makes a big difference...

yugi24862
2011-08-13, 03:43 PM
The caster is a homebrew class, The mage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203055) The basics are that it uses points to cast instead of slots, and it is spontaneous casting with a few sets of themed spells (like Monster Summoning, Personal buffs, evocations, the like) from both arcane and divine lists. Other side is fighter then Homebrew gish Prc, further down the same page.

FMArthur
2011-08-13, 03:44 PM
Quicken Spell and Easy Metamagic (Quicken Spell) are fantastic for a gish so that you can actually cast spells while you whack people and dramatically reduce time wasted with buffs. Rapid Metamagic is required to make use of this if you are spontaneous, but overall you'll actually be better off if you are spontaneous because you are well set-up to take Practical Metamagic (Quicken Spell) later on after you take Dragontouched to get the Dragonblood subtype (it's preferable to acquire that through your race but that can't be helped after you're already playing). Easy and Practical will reduce Quicken to a +2 adjustment, which rocks.

Reading the class, just Quicken and Easy Metamagic is all you can benefit from. It's still a good deal and the improvement to your action economy is still very relevant.

Mikka
2011-08-13, 04:01 PM
How are you casting spells in heavy armor?

Netherese Battle Curse is nice : )

yugi24862
2011-08-13, 04:07 PM
The homebrew class allows me to cast in whatever armour I can wear.

daemonaetea
2011-08-13, 05:52 PM
Perhaps Somatic Weaponry? Goes well with your Eschew Materials, so the only reason your hands will have to leave your weapon is to use a focus for a spell (or expensive component, of course). I'm not a great optimizer though, so I'm unsure if that feat is well thought of.

Greenish
2011-08-13, 06:38 PM
Perhaps Somatic Weaponry? Goes well with your Eschew Materials, so the only reason your hands will have to leave your weapon is to use a focus for a spell (or expensive component, of course). I'm not a great optimizer though, so I'm unsure if that feat is well thought of.The general consensus (despite the Sage agreeing with it) is that taking one hand off of a two-handed weapon, or grasping it again with that other hand are both free actions, so keeping both hands on the weapon doesn't actually benefit you at all.

Well, unless you provoke an AoO by casting, and the opponent uses it to try and disarm you, but that's why you wear a locked gauntlet in the other hand. :smalltongue: