PDA

View Full Version : The Warp Walker [3.5 base class]

Ekul
2011-08-13, 08:53 PM
Sometimes, we're disappointed by the movement options of melee classes. There is the occasional melee warrior that breaks the mold and even attempts to barely address this stunning disadvantage. (Swordsage, Duskblade) There's items, sure, but items are not enough. So I thought I would base a class loosely off the Vanguard of Mass Effect 2. That's right, it's...

The Warp Walker

Warp Walkers are a a form of Spatial Adept- an ability that bears resemblance to both the magic schools conjuration and transmutation and the psionic disciplines psychoportation and psychokinesis. Warp Walkers believe that position is everything- most adventurers who specialize melee have nothing to say against a flying foe, but a Warp Walker prides himself or herself on getting past that disadvantage. Many will display tactical brilliance on the field of battle- they study how the terrain effects their foes and how foes become uncomfortable in certain positions.
Some Warp Walkers, though, tend to be brash and headstrong. This is mainly because they can often afford to just warp away when they get into danger.

Hit Points: d10
Skills: 2+Int (times 4 at first level)
Class Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Knowledge (architecture and engineering), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (geography), Knowledge (the planes), Listen, Profession, Search, Spot

{table]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude|Reflex|Will|Special
1|+0|+2|+2|+0|Fast Movement, Warp Rush
2|+1|+3|+3|+0|Insightful Strength
3|+2|+3|+3|+1|Warp Charge
4|+3|+4|+4|+1|Dodge
5|+3|+4|+4|+1|Warp Slam
6|+4|+5|+5|+2|Terrain Champion, Warp Skip
7|+5|+5|+5|+2|Abjurant Blink
8|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2|Rapid Warp
9|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|Mobility, Warp Stall
10|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|Sonic Boom
11|+8/+3|+7|+7|+3|Warp Flurry (+6/+6/+1)
12|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Warp Slip
13|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|Blazing Warp
14|+10/+5|+9|+9|+4|Warp Aura
15|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+5|Greater Sonic Boom
16|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Improved Warp Flurry(+11/+11/+6/+1)
17|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Phase Warp
18|+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Warp Cannon
19|+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Warp Reflector
20|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Omega Warp Rush[/table]

Class features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Warp Walker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as light armor and shields (except for tower shields).

Fast Movement(Ex): A Warp Walker's land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This is an inherent bonus. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the Warp Walker’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.

Warp Rush(Su): Warp Rush is the standard ability around which the entire class is based. At first level, this amounts to him adding his class level to checks made to resist grapple attempts, trip attempts and Bull rushes. The Warp Walker also subtracts his class level number of dice from falling damage, and may additionally choose whether or not to inflict the damage of the fall onto whoever he collides with when he reaches the ground. This applies to anything that does damage due to collision with a wall, or the ground. (Like explosive spell.)

Insightful Strength(Su): At 2nd level, the Warp Walker may add his Warp Walker Character levels, (up to his Wisdom modifier) to all of his strength based checks including when using strength for his attack and damage bonus.

Warp Charge(Su): At 3rd level, the Warp Walker gains the ability to charge (or bullrush or overrun) over or through any terrain within his maximum charging distance (two times base speed) in order to attack his target. In order to do this, he must make a jump check with a DC of one fourth the distance charged. (For the purpose of this ability, the character is considered running.) Note that there is no lower limit for the range.
Unlike other supernatural abilities, it does provoke attacks of opportunity, but only for leaving its original square, not for entering and leaving through squares with reach.
When targeting an invisible or non-existent opponent, select the square. If missed, then he begins falling diagonally in the angle that had used in order to get to the square until he touches land. The attack may still hit an opponent or an ally, in which case, falling damage occurs to both parties (Though see Warp Rush.)
If the jump check fails, double the result number of feet in that direction is the square you end up in, and then the "miss condition" as described above occurs. If successful, after the attack is resolved if the Warp Walker is in the air, he falls to the ground.

Dodge: The Warp Walker automatically gains the Dodge feat at 4th level. If the Warp Walker already has Dodge, he instead gains Mobility. If he already has Mobility, he gains a feat of his choice.

Warp Slam(Su): At 5th level, when using Warp Charge, whether as part of a charge, bullrush or overrun, he may add one half of the jump check to the damage.

Terrain Champion(Ex): At 6th level, the Warp Walker may choose to ignore all penalties given due to unfavorable terrain and double his terrain bonuses.

Warp Skip(Ex): At 6th level, the Warp Walker may forgo the attack(s) granted by Warp Charge and take a standard action instead.

Abjurant Blink(Su): At 7th level, when surrounded by an area of affect ability, where the area of affect lasts at least a round (For example, a zone of truth but not an inflict wounds, mass spell) the Warp Walker may, as an immediate action blink out of the field to the edge of it, to a maximum up 5 feet per character level. If there is no where to go (For example, if all of the edges of the spell are embedded in solid rock), the Warp Walker is merely teleported to the closest point to the outside of the spell. Note that this effect may allow a Warp Walker to leave an antimagic field, a null psionics field or any similar ability negating affects. The use of this ability causes a point of damage for every 5 feet traveled.

Rapid Warp(Su): At 8th level and thereafter for the purposes of charging and Warp Charge, the jump check DC is reduced to one eighth of the distance charged, and the max charging distance is doubled (Since a charge is twice the ground movement, Rapid warp is four times ground movement).

Mobility: The Warp Walker automatically gains the Mobility feat at 9th level. If the Warp Walker already has Mobility, he gains a feat of his choice.

Warp Stall(Su): At 9th level Warp Walker may as a swift action make a DC 10 concentration check to stop falling for as long as he wants. This stalls movements in all directions, but not other actions. He can maintain this concentration without a check unless damaged, then he has to make a Concentration check with a DC of the damage that was done to him to stay at that point. The stall does not remove the falling damage from the distance he has fallen if he releases control, he can make a jump from that position. In this case, his fall counter resets.

Sonic Boom(Su): At 10th level as a standard action, the Warp Walker can send out a sonic boom as the spell Shout, only with a 20 ft radius centered on the Warp Walker with a DC of 14+Wis.

Warp Flurry(Su): At 11th level, during a full attack, the Warp Walker may choose to take a -2 penalty on all attacks to attack one additional time at his best base attack bonus.

Warp Slip(Su): At 12th level, when using the Warp Skip class feature, the may squeeze through tunnels that are 3 size categories too small without penalty and may make a second move action instead of a standard action.

Blazing Warp(Su): At 13th level, the maximum distance that can be charged increases to six times ground movement speed, and the DC for the check is one tenth the distance charged. In addition to the half of the jump check added to damage, one half the check in fire damage is added.

Warp Aura(Su): At 14th level, the Warp Walker gets a +3 dodge bonus, which stacks with Dodge and Mobility.

Greater Sonic Boom(Su): At 15th level as a standard action, the Warp Walker can send out a sonic boom as the spell Greater Shout, only with a 40 ft radius centered on the Warp Walker with a DC of 18+Wis.

Improved Warp Flurry(Su): At 16th level, the Warp Walker now takes a -1 for being in a flurry instead of a -2.

Phase Warp(Su): At 17th level while using Warp Charge, Warp Skip or Warp slip, the character is counted as incoporeal.

Warp Cannon(Su): At 18th level, while using Warp Charge, the maximum charging distance is increased to eight times the ground speed. The DC is one twelfth of the distance charged. When charging, he also may choose to deal damage in a cylinder with a radius of 5' and a length long as the charge. Anyone affected must take a reflex half or take damage equal to the jump check+jump check in fire damage/2+5d6 sonic damage. The target takes this damage as long as the charge hits.

Warp Reflector(Su): At 19th level, the Warp Walker may ready an action in order to reflect any single projectile or ranged touch attack back on its user.

Omega Warp Rush(Su): At 20th level, the Warp Walker absorbs all damage done by collision with a wall, or the ground (such as falling damage or explosive spell.)
(And thus, is immune to the massive damage of Locate City bomb. Heh.)

Feats:

Warp Rider:
Prerequisites: Warp Charge
Benefits: You may be counted as though you are mounted when in the air for all purposes of feats, rules, etc. In any case where a ride check or ranks would be necessary, instead make a jump check or use jump ranks. This feat also negates the need for the Mounted Combat Feat. This feat is a supernatural ability.

Warp Throw:
Prerequisites: Throwing weapon proficiency, Warp Charge
Benefits: The range of throwing weapons is increased tenfold and strength may be used in place of dexterity. This feat is a supernatural ability.
Special: This feat may be taken multiple times. Each time it is taken, the multiplier of the range increases by 5.

Bank Warp Throw:
Prerequisites: Warp Throw, Warp Charge
Benefits: When throwing a weapon, the Warp Walker may curve the weapon up to a 45 degree angle. This feat is a supernatural ability.

Warp Return:
Prerequisites: Warp Throw, Warp Charge
Benefits: The Warp Walker may treat any weapon as though it had the returning property, as long as he had it in his possession the round beforehand. This feat is a supernatural ability.

Passenger Warp:
Prerequisites: Warp Skip
Benefits: The Warp Walker may carry several other people (As long as they and their equipment are within his drag encumbrance) when Warp Skipping or Warp Slipping. The Warp Walker may not take any standard actions, but the passenger may still take standard actions. This feat is a supernatural ability.
Normal: The Warp Walker cannot drag anything while Warp Skipping or Warp Slipping.

eftexar
2011-08-13, 09:02 PM
Pretty cool, but as RAW, Omega Warp Rush could technically make you immune to all melee attacks and all good things in life (aka violent thrust).
Another problem I have is, is that if I were to take levels in the class, it doesn't give me any choice to the abilities I gain.

Ekul
2011-08-13, 09:04 PM
Pretty cool, but as RAW, Omega Warp Rush could technically make you immune to all melee attacks and all good things in life (aka violent thrust).
Another problem I have is, is that if I were to take levels in the class, it doesn't give me any choice to the abilities I gain.

Not sure how to word it though- There are a couple of ways to do damage due to moving through squares or "falling sideways" like Explosive Spell, Violent thrust, etc.

Maybe I'll just make it negate falling damage.

eftexar
2011-08-13, 09:08 PM
I would make it negate falling and collision damage. I think collision is a bit more defined (referring to your whole body colliding with something).

Ekul
2011-08-13, 09:13 PM
I would make it negate falling and collision damage. I think collision is a bit more defined (referring to your whole body colliding with something).

Hmm, that works. Thanks.

Tacitus
2011-08-13, 11:34 PM
Insightful Strength(Su): At 2nd level, the Warp Walker may add his Wisdom to all of his strength based checks including when using strength for his attack and damage bonus.

You add your wisdom to strength. So a Str score of 18 and a Wis score of 18 becomes an effective ability score of 36 for the purposes of killing someone? I suppose you mean Wisdom Modifier to strength based checks and skill checks and as a bonus to attack and damage? At second level that is WAY too much. I'd say stagger this somewhat, because all at once at 2nd level means that its begging to be dipped.

Warp Charge, etc:
From looking at it, you get to add your jump check (which will probably be super huge) to damage on a warp charge twice? Jump checks can get really damn high super fast, and there is a cheap belt to let you take 10 on all jump checks. At 5th level you can probably expect in the range of a +16 jump check mod, assuming Wis and Str of 15 and no items.

eftexar
2011-08-13, 11:45 PM
I would suggest, for limiting wisdom modifier to strength, that you restrict the bonus to a maximum of your levels in warp walker. As to warp charge, what do you think, add half the check to damage?

Ekul
2011-08-14, 12:37 AM
Okay... Just made a sample level 8 character. Did NOT know how easy it is to, with a bit of optimizing, get the jump check up to >100 using traits (Quick), and adding in boots of striding, which means the speed is 60. Doubling the base land speed in a charge (50) gets 110 total, which means that when charging, we get 220. 220/10*4 for the jump check gets 88. The striding boots add +5, 11 ranks, boom. That's 104 with an item of less than 6000 gp, without accounting the strength, wisdom or the ring of haste. In order to alleviate this problem, I'm going to change this passage from:

At 5th level, when using Warp Charge, whether as part of a charge, bullrush or overrun, he may add the jump check to the damage.
To:

At 5th level, when using Warp Charge, whether as part of a charge, bullrush or overrun, he may add one sixth of the jump check to the damage.

Additionally, I'm changing the distance of the charge to double the jump check made.

And yes, I'll add the wisdom bonus limitation of the level. That's a smart idea to prevent excessive dipping.

Greenish
2011-08-14, 12:42 AM
Charge doesn't double your move speed, it just allows you to move twice that.

Is there a particular reason why the class sports non-standard 3+int skillpoints per level?

eftexar
2011-08-14, 12:44 AM
I think a 6th is too penalizing (1/2 to 1/4 is more reasonable). Some campaigns don't offer that many magic items (at least not that early on). When judging the average skill check of a level may suggest this equation: level + 3 + 3 for dex + 12 for feats + 5 for class abilities or items. At level 20 41 is the highest check you should expect. Although I suppose with a running start this is 45. Expecting any higher than that is ridiculous.
If your that worried about this ability, I would suggest adding a clause that excludes bonuses granted by items indirectly or directly. Or you could just restrict it to skill ranks + dexterity modifier + d20 (without other modifiers).

Ekul
2011-08-14, 12:44 AM
Charge doesn't double your move speed, it just allows you to move twice that.

Is there a particular reason why the class sports non-standard 3+int skillpoints per level?

No particular reason.
Should it be 2 or 4? I'm guessing 2.

I think a 6th is too penalizing (1/2 to 1/4 is more reasonable). Some campaigns don't offer that many magic items. When judging the average skill check of a level may suggest this equation: level + 3 + 3 dex + 12 for feats + 5 for class abilities or items. At level 20 41 is the highest check you should expect. Although I suppose with a running start this is 45. Expecting any higher than that is ridiculous.
If your that worried about this ability, I would suggest adding a clause that excludes bonuses granted by items indirectly or directly. Or you could just restrict it to skill ranks + dexterity modifier + d20 (without other modifiers).
Hmm... If I did that, I would want the distance traveled due to the jump to change with each multiplier.

EDIT: Considering some adapted rules I made, the character now no longer doubles his speed base speed until level 13, he can merely go twice as far. In addition, the damage is divided by four. Under this, before level 13, he has a +4 bonus due to speed (+8 if we take Quick). At level 13, he gains a +20 instead (28 if we take Quick) This basically increases his damage from 1 or 2 to 5 or 7. If we consider items and stuff, none of these double because they are not "Base", so 4 due to ranks, 0-5 due to the d20, 2 due to feats, ~5 due to items. Does this sound reasonable? Alternatively, we could do /2 instead, since I misunderstood the charging rule. 8 due to ranks, 0-10 due to the d20, 10 due to items, 4 due to feats, so somewhere around 20 average damage.

Tacitus
2011-08-14, 01:44 AM
Look, if you want to use a skill check to do damage you should compare to Maneuvers that do the same thing. Diamond Mind maneuvers lets you use concentration checks for things, including a higher level one where you deal extra damage equal to the check times four. Granted, its a lot harder to boost Concentration than Jump, but this isn't a terrible starting point.

I suggest not increasing/multiplying your speed at all, but allowing the jump checks to scale how they will. Yeah, maybe fast movement, but specify if its an Enhancement bonus to speed or not, as multiple bonuses of the same type do not stack. Besides, being able to charge further doesn't increase your movement speed for jump checks. I think Cheetahs can charge x8 move speed 1/minute or something, and they don't get a bonus to jump checks while doing so.

It'll still make for large jump checks, but it won't scale in strange ways. Somewhere at the beginning add half the jump check, then increase to full jump check, then x2 at the upper end.

Ekul
2011-08-14, 01:51 AM
It'll still make for large jump checks, but it won't scale in strange ways. Somewhere at the beginning add half the jump check, then increase to full jump check, then x2 at the upper end.

Yeah, at this point that seems like the best decision. Thank you for your input.