PDA

View Full Version : Arrows that heal people?

maximus25
2011-08-13, 09:15 PM
In my latest campaign, the party cleric had arrows that she fired and healed people. They did something like 3 damage but healed you for 20 or something. Can anyone tell me what these arrows would be? We started a new one with the same people and I rolled up the cleric this time. At least 3 people are being melee beatstick characters so I rolled up the cleric with a bow and am gonna focus on using that to attack as well as heal my own party members.

Fenryr
2011-08-13, 09:22 PM
Are you sure the arrows were magical? The cleric had no prestige class or multiclass or something similar?

I've never heard of such a thing. I'm sure someone else will help ya.

maximus25
2011-08-13, 09:28 PM
Pretty sure, they might have just been spell storing arrows holding cure spells

Drachasor
2011-08-13, 09:31 PM
Probably Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#spellStoring) with Cure Serious Wounds. That's my guess.

Technically this isn't a legal enchantment to put on a ranged weapon/ammo. Well, I guess the rules are a bit unclear on that, actually. You can't find ranged weapons/ammo like that, anyhow.

maximus25
2011-08-13, 09:50 PM
Alright, thanks for the quick replies. I'll keep looking.

vhfforever
2011-08-13, 09:54 PM
I recall a 3.0 Splatbook (either Defenders of the Faith or Masters of the Wild) that had curing arrows, but they worked off of CLW and nothing that healed a higher amount than that.

Elboxo
2011-08-13, 09:55 PM
The only other thing i can think of is arcane archer....... but it's arcane.....

Drachasor
2011-08-13, 10:05 PM
Alright, thanks for the quick replies. I'll keep looking.

The illegality of Spell Storing is a somewhat subtle point and very easy to miss. In fact, it might be argued it is NOT illegal. That said, it is a bit broken imho, especially once you get multiple attacks per round. (Also note, it costs 4000 gold for 50 such arrows, or 80 gold each).

Cure Serious Wounds would heal for 3d8+CL, max 3d8+15. So, a caster level of 7 is sufficient to average 20.5. It isn't hard to find arrows in books that deal for a lesser amount of damage, though even a d6 arrow just averages 3.5 damage.

That really seems to fit with what you are saying. I know of nothing else that could match it.

maximus25
2011-08-13, 10:08 PM
They were drow hand crossbow bolts, so they dealt 1d4 damage

TurtleKing
2011-08-13, 11:04 PM
I have four spells for you to consider with ranged healing.

1. Light of Venya (SPC, 3rd) is a medium range blast spell that floats around your head as a light spell (10min/level) before you fire one of the two bolts. A bolt deals some damage to most targets and double to undead and evil outsiders. The other effect is a heal on par with CLW at medium range.
2. Close Wounds (SPC, 2nd) is a close range use even out of turn spell that heals for just enough to keep them up. IF you use it in response to an attack can negate the attack.
3. Channeled Divine Health (PHBII, 4th) is a variable casting time with a corresponding variable range and healing. Cast for at least 2 full rounds to gain a long range Cure Critical.
4. Healing Spirit from PHBII is ok, but Healing Sphere from BoEF is even better. Healing Sphere heals for more for 2d8+1/+10 each touch while Healing Spirit only heals for 1d8 with each touch. Healing Sphere is also available one level earlier at level 3 instead of level 4 with Healing Spirit. The last advantage is Healing Sphere automatically lasts 1 min while Healing Spirit gets upto 1 min. Both are controllable with medium range.

twas_Brillig
2011-08-13, 11:20 PM
I recall a 3.0 Splatbook (either Defenders of the Faith or Masters of the Wild) that had curing arrows, but they worked off of CLW and nothing that healed a higher amount than that.

Definitely Masters of the Wild. I'm pretty sure they explicitly dealt no damage, though.

gomipile
2011-08-14, 12:09 AM
The illegality of Spell Storing is a somewhat subtle point and very easy to miss. In fact, it might be argued it is NOT illegal. That said, it is a bit broken imho, especially once you get multiple attacks per round. (Also note, it costs 4000 gold for 50 such arrows, or 80 gold each).

Um, wouldn't that be 8000 gold for 50, since you need to put a +1 enhancement bonus on first, and spell storing is also a +1, and a +2 total has an 8000 gold base price. Unless you meant the cost to create, before factoring in the XP cost for the creator, which would be 4000.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm

maximus25
2011-08-14, 12:13 AM
I have four spells for you to consider with ranged healing.

1. Light of Venya (SPC, 3rd) is a medium range blast spell that floats around your head as a light spell (10min/level) before you fire one of the two bolts. A bolt deals some damage to most targets and double to undead and evil outsiders. The other effect is a heal on par with CLW at medium range.
2. Close Wounds (SPC, 2nd) is a close range use even out of turn spell that heals for just enough to keep them up. IF you use it in response to an attack can negate the attack.
3. Channeled Divine Health (PHBII, 4th) is a variable casting time with a corresponding variable range and healing. Cast for at least 2 full rounds to gain a long range Cure Critical.
4. Healing Spirit from PHBII is ok, but Healing Sphere from BoEF is even better. Healing Sphere heals for more for 2d8+1/+10 each touch while Healing Spirit only heals for 1d8 with each touch. Healing Sphere is also available one level earlier at level 3 instead of level 4 with Healing Spirit. The last advantage is Healing Sphere automatically lasts 1 min while Healing Spirit gets upto 1 min. Both are controllable with medium range.

That's very helpful, thank you.

TurtleKing
2011-08-14, 12:33 AM
Your welcome.

Edit: The Light of Venya does 3d6 per bolt or 6d6 per bolt to undead and evil outsiders. So a 3rd level spell at Cleric level 5 dealing 6d6 from both shots or 12d6 to undead and evil outsiders. How many spells hit that hard at level 5?

maximus25
2011-08-14, 12:58 AM
Your welcome.

Edit: The Light of Venya does 3d6 per bolt or 6d6 per bolt to undead and evil outsiders. So a 3rd level spell at Cleric level 5 dealing 6d6 from both shots or 12d6 to undead and evil outsiders. How many spells hit that hard at level 5?

None, I'd say.

Cerlis
2011-08-14, 01:21 AM
well it is undead. a orison/cantrip does 1d6 to undead (disrupt undead i think) while i think all the other spells (acid splash, ray of frost) deal 1d3. If its against a very specific creature type its usually alot of dmg. See the draconomicon and the PrC that gains 10d6 sneak attack vs dragons in 5 lvls or the other slayer who deals 1d6 permanent damage to any dragon he attacks or that attacks him

----------------

back on topic. if you do want to try the idea of a shiv arrow of healing, consider small damage weapons or even shuriken (1d2 dmg at medium i believe) made out of silver (-1 dmg).

probably wont but i just wanted to point out that you can do that same thing but without the 3 dmg.

The Random NPC
2011-08-14, 01:31 AM
I believe there are blunt arrows that do nonlethal damage in Races of the Wild.

maximus25
2011-08-14, 01:33 AM
well it is undead. a orison/cantrip does 1d6 to undead (disrupt undead i think) while i think all the other spells (acid splash, ray of frost) deal 1d3. If its against a very specific creature type its usually alot of dmg. See the draconomicon and the PrC that gains 10d6 sneak attack vs dragons in 5 lvls or the other slayer who deals 1d6 permanent damage to any dragon he attacks or that attacks him

----------------

back on topic. if you do want to try the idea of a shiv arrow of healing, consider small damage weapons or even shuriken (1d2 dmg at medium i believe) made out of silver (-1 dmg).

probably wont but i just wanted to point out that you can do that same thing but without the 3 dmg.

So I deal one damage then heal them for a bunch? That sounds awesome.

HunterOfJello
2011-08-14, 01:56 AM
There is that one weapon or weapon enhancement that activates a cure spell when it hits an enemy so that you can use it to check if the creature is undead or not. If they're living, then they'll just be angry at you for stabbing them in the face with a suddenly healed wound. If they've undead, then they'll be angry at you, have taken more damage than a normal hit, and try to bite your face off.

Flickerdart
2011-08-14, 02:04 AM
There's a torture implement in BoVD that cures and damages for the same amount. Since weapons deal double damage when used for torture, you could adapt this thing as a weapon that heals twice what it inflicts. This is houserule territory though, since the item in question may or may not have been an Iron Maiden, something fairly difficult to weaponize.

Jarveiyan
2011-08-14, 06:09 AM
Masters of the Wild pg.29 - cure light/moderate/serious/critical arrows, it does no actual damage just healing.

Drachasor
2011-08-14, 07:37 AM
Um, wouldn't that be 8000 gold for 50, since you need to put a +1 enhancement bonus on first, and spell storing is also a +1, and a +2 total has an 8000 gold base price. Unless you meant the cost to create, before factoring in the XP cost for the creator, which would be 4000.

Ah yes, my mistake, I forgot the 2000k base price for weapons since it has been so long since I'ved played.

160 gold per arrow then.

Runestar
2011-08-14, 08:08 AM
It's possible he has the smiting spell metamagic feat from PHB2, which he is applying to the arrows he fire (basically emulates the duskblade's arcane channeling feature). In fact, once he reaches lv13+, he would be able to apply this to heal spells. :smallbiggrin:

vhfforever
2011-08-14, 09:47 AM
Masters of the Wild pg.29 - cure light/moderate/serious/critical arrows, it does no actual damage just healing.

Thanks. :) I couldn't remember the specifics as it's been a long time since I used the book for anything except the Forsaker

TurtleKing
2011-08-14, 10:11 AM
Oh I just thought of another ranged healing spell. In Races of Destiny you have Insignia of Healing. It has were you create an insignia of some sort be it a badge, pin or something for your allies to wear. Then you can heal them for about a CLW within long range. Yes I just said anyone wearing the insignia withing 400+40ft/CL of you gets a CLW. One Cleric can heal an army with this spell. Main thing can heal a lot more people...or hurt if undead more than any other healing spell. Grab the spells for Insignia of Blessing and Warding for an army wide Bless and Ward from just one cleric.

Fitz10019
2011-08-14, 10:42 AM

Also note, 50 MW arrows to enchant would cost 350gp, and each Spell Storing arrow would be a seperate 'weapon' needing it's own casting of CSW (or whatever spell) to hold that spell.

Drachasor
2011-08-14, 11:05 AM
Also note, 50 MW arrows to enchant would cost 350gp, and each Spell Storing arrow would be a seperate 'weapon' needing it's own casting of CSW (or whatever spell) to hold that spell.

We're assuming the party cleric (likely the person using the arrows going by the OP) will be doing the spellcasting.

maximus25
2011-08-17, 04:35 PM
Oh I just thought of another ranged healing spell. In Races of Destiny you have Insignia of Healing. It has were you create an insignia of some sort be it a badge, pin or something for your allies to wear. Then you can heal them for about a CLW within long range. Yes I just said anyone wearing the insignia withing 400+40ft/CL of you gets a CLW. One Cleric can heal an army with this spell. Main thing can heal a lot more people...or hurt if undead more than any other healing spell. Grab the spells for Insignia of Blessing and Warding for an army wide Bless and Ward from just one cleric.

That's awesome. Thank you for that. So they just keep this on them at all times and as a standard action they all get a CLW from me.

Blisstake
2011-08-17, 05:08 PM
Dragon Magazine (can't remember which issue) had a healing crossbow bolt. It didn't do any damage though... and was a bolt rather than an arrow. Wasn't too impressive if I recalle correctly.

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-17, 05:33 PM
A two-level dip into Arcane Archer, combined with an area healing spell, would do it. Of course, that would require you to be an elf, and you'd need to get at least 1st-level arcane casting somewhere, so maybe even as many as three levels wasted. Probably not worth it. But pinging people with arrows to activate Positive Energy Aura from a distance is cool, I guess?

hewhosaysfish
2011-08-18, 07:14 AM

In one campaign I played in, the party's Ninja/Monk/Ranger picked up some spell-storing shuriken and got them filled with not just cures but Remove Paralysis, Remove Blindness/Deafness, etc.

And he could TWF-Flurry with them, if he needed to.

Feytalist
2011-08-18, 07:46 AM
Something similar, although not quite the same, are Inquisitor's bracers in MIC. 3/day heal some damage along with an attack, apparently to root out intelligent undead among the general population. I think it specifically mentions a melee attack, though.

Andorax
2011-08-18, 01:01 PM
Precident: Sleep Arrow (DMG 228). Essentially, a +1 arrow that deals nonlethal damage and inflicts a (targetted) sleep effect on the person hit.

Using that as a model, one could make the case for a Cure Light Wounds arrow (deals 1d6 nonlethal, heals 1d8+1 hps, and equivilant nonlethal...so likely does no damage at all).

The price for a sleep arrow is 132gp. 1 +1 arrow costs 46 (2301/50), so presumably the cost of "converts to nonlethal" and "targetted 1x1 spell" add up to 86 GP.

Myself, I'd be inclined to assign the nonlethality the 11gp difference, and say that the arrow-spell is half-again that of a potion, or triple that of a scroll.

So what we're left with is the ability to "weaponize" arrows of curing at a cost equal to 3x the normal scroll cost, +57 GP. For DM convenience, I'd recommend two minor modifications...round the "extra" cost down to 50 for ease of calculation, and 'hand-waive' the nonlethal damage entirely.

Arrow of CLW: 125 GP
Arrow of CMW: 800 GP
Arrow of CSW: 1175 GP
Arrow of CCW: 2150 GP

At least...that's what I'd do if it were my campaign.

BlueInc
2011-08-18, 01:47 PM
Get a Metamagic Rod of Reach (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/rods/metamagic-rods/metamagic-reach)? If you still want to use your bow, check out some cleric builds (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0) using things like Zen Archery, which is feat that allows you to use your Wisdom instead of Dex when making ranged attack rolls.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-18, 02:15 PM
I don't know about arrows, but a dip into Warlock nets you access to Eldritch Disciple, which has a class ability that lets you heal with your EB...