PDA

View Full Version : So I couldn't find anywhere that actually explains how PrCs work...

NOhara24
2011-08-14, 02:36 PM
Hello all, hopefully this will be a quick thread so we can get back to serious discussion. I'm in a 3.5 campaign currently, and my Paladin is going to take a level in Gray Guard. Wonderful.

I'm looking at the saves and such for a level 1 GG, and how does BAB and saves and such transfer over? What about rolling HP? I still roll a d10 every time I level up, but my BAB and saves aren't REPLACED with a level 1 GG's worth correct? I think they stack with my 6 levels in paladin, but I wanted to be sure before I started marking up my character sheet. If someone could clear that up, or point me in the direction of the correct sourcebook, I'd be a happy kid.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-14, 02:38 PM
Hello all, hopefully this will be a quick thread so we can get back to serious discussion. I'm in a 3.5 campaign currently, and my Paladin is going to take a level in Gray Guard. Wonderful.

I'm looking at the saves and such for a level 1 GG, and how does BAB and saves and such transfer over? What about rolling HP? I still roll a d10 every time I level up, but my BAB and saves aren't REPLACED with a level 1 GG's worth correct? I think they stack with my 6 levels in paladin, but I wanted to be sure before I started marking up my character sheet. If someone could clear that up, or point me in the direction of the correct sourcebook, I'd be a happy kid.

Works the same way multiclassing does but there are prereqs to take the PrC and there are no multiclassing penalties for prestige classes...

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/multiclass.htm

Sitzkrieg
2011-08-14, 04:59 PM
That link is the right resource. Basically you just add everything together, and it stacks. If your current BAB is 4, for example, and your new prestige class lists +1 BAB at first level, then your new BAB is 5. Same thing for saves, except that your prestige class probably gives you +2 to certain saves when you take the first level of the class. Remember that when your BAB gets to +6, you're allowed to make a second attack, so your real BAB is +6/+1, even if that doesn't seem obvious at first because it's not listed in your prestige class anywhere. Good luck!

holywhippet
2011-08-14, 07:14 PM
Also, certain base classes state that if you take a level in anything else you can no longer keep taking levels in that base class (like monks and paladins). Prestige classes are an exception to this rule.

Greenish
2011-08-14, 07:18 PM
Also, certain base classes state that if you take a level in anything else you can no longer keep taking levels in that base class (like monks and paladins). Prestige classes are an exception to this rule.No, they aren't. Some PrCs (such as Gray Guard) have specific exceptions for it, but PrCs in general are not exempt.

holywhippet
2011-08-14, 07:46 PM
Are you sure? I was told they were. Might have just been my DMs interpretation.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-14, 07:48 PM
Are you sure? I was told they were. Might have just been my DMs interpretation.

Yeah, that's a houserule. A decent one, but a houserule.

Keld Denar
2011-08-14, 07:50 PM
Greenish is correct. Some PrCs have explicitly exceptions, for example Grey Guard for Paladins, or Tattood Monk for Monks. If they don't have an exception, then they keep you from going back. So a Monk who took levels in Pious Templar, for example, couldn't go back to being a Monk without some other special exception.

Cerlis
2011-08-14, 08:19 PM
its usually at the end of the PrC entry. Like the dwarven defender. the last, or almost last thing it says is "a Paladin who takes levels of Dwarven Defender may continue advancing as a paladin".

And yes, when you multiclass all the hitdice , saves, and BAB stack

So you can really increase your saves by multiclassing , while you'd normally have to wait till...lvl 4 or 5 (no idea) to get +4 base save, you could instead have one levevl in one class, and one level in another for +4

A fighter 1/monk1 has a Fort +4, Ref+2, Will+2, unlike a fighter 2 who would have like....Fort+2 or +3 or something and thats it.

He could then take a lvl in tattooed monk and get Fort 6 ref 4 will 4. and then another class that has good saves on all three and go 8 6 6. (Keep in mind i'm guessing . all i remember is monk has good on all saves)

simularly if you take one level dips in 1/2 or 3/4 BAB progression classes will never increase his BAB (which is why people often have alternate rules for this)

So a rogue/cleric/monk/ninja/Beguiler/Binder, despite having a character lvl of 6, would have +0 base attack bonus, since he is taking only one level in each class, and thus not gaining a base attack bonus from any.

ericgrau
2011-08-14, 09:53 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/prestigeClasses.htm

herrhauptmann
2011-08-14, 10:08 PM
simularly if you take one level dips in 1/2 or 3/4 BAB progression classes will never increase his BAB (which is why people often have alternate rules for this)

Just one alternate rule generally: Fractional BAB/Saves.
It's a sidebar in UA, in the middle of the gestalt section, but I'm having a hard time finding it in the SRD.

Cerlis
2011-08-15, 08:00 AM
Just one alternate rule generally: Fractional BAB/Saves.
It's a sidebar in UA, in the middle of the gestalt section, but I'm having a hard time finding it in the SRD.

yes, thats the alternate rule i was trying to mention. dont remember where i saw it. shoulda figured it was UA