PDA

View Full Version : Do negative levels affect spell DC?

Ixahinon
2011-08-14, 04:21 PM
The title says it all. You lose say...5 levels. Your spell DC is normally 17. But you take a -5 to your caster ability modifier, so isn't it a DC 12?

P.S I need a page or something cite this

Optimator
2011-08-14, 04:25 PM
Read the glossary. It tells you exactly what negative levels do and do not do.

To answer your question though, no, spell DCs are untouched.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-14, 04:25 PM
That's not how you calculate DCs at all. DCs are 10 + spell level + relevant ability score modifier.

Citation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm).

Sucrose
2011-08-14, 04:26 PM
No. You take penalties to ability checks, not to the actual ability, which is, oddly enough, unchanged. You do lose spells from your highest levels castable equal to your negative levels, but your DCs for what you still can cast are unchanged.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-14, 04:28 PM
Yeah Dcs are untouched , generally the confusion comes from this...

The character gains one or more negative levels, which might permanently drain the character’s levels. If the subject has at least as many negative levels as Hit Dice, he dies. Each negative level gives a creature the following penalties: -1 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks; loss of 5 hit points; and -1 to effective level (for determining the power, duration, DC, and other details of spells or special abilities). In addition, a spellcaster loses one spell or spell slot from the highest spell level castable.

^^ from the srd

Flickerdart
2011-08-14, 04:29 PM
Do note that losing 5 CLs means you now can't cast two levels worth of spells, and the lower level spells do indeed have lower DCs.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-14, 04:34 PM
Yeah Dcs are untouched , generally the confusion comes from this...

That refers to spell-like and supernatural abilities, whose DCs are calculated thus: 10 + half HD + Cha mod (usually). The DC of such an ability would drop by 1 for every 2 negative levels inflicted.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-14, 04:35 PM
That refers to spell-like and supernatural abilities, whose DCs are calculated thus: 10 + half HD + Cha mod (usually). The DC of such an ability would drop by 1 for every 2 negative levels inflicted.

I completely agree, just stating where I believe the confusion on this comes from --- as a DM it has been asked to me on occasion as well.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-14, 04:47 PM
I completely agree, just stating where I believe the confusion on this comes from --- as a DM it has been asked to me on occasion as well.

Ahhhh, got it. Yeah, I do believe you're right.