PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones/Alan Quatermain-esque PrCs

Elric VIII
2011-08-14, 10:16 PM
Are there any PrCs that represent an archaeoloist/explorer?

Something similar to Loremaster, but more mechanically interesting than just a few flat bonuses.

The only thing is that I would like to find one that is:

a) Divine
b) Doesn't lose CL.
c) Has at least 4+Int skill points/level.

This isn't for any set character, but a vague idea of something that might be fun to play.

McQ
2011-08-14, 10:25 PM
Not sure if it meets your specifications, but the Temple Raider of Olidimmara is my suggestion. I believe it's from the Complete Divine?

Coidzor
2011-08-14, 10:28 PM
Extreme Explorer, I believe was supposed to do that. It's Eberronian, I believe, but I don't think it satisfies anything but C for you.

deuxhero
2011-08-14, 10:35 PM
Not sure if it meets your specifications, but the Temple Raider of Olidimmara is my suggestion. I believe it's from the Complete Divine?

Yeah, was thinking that from the title (even though all I know of it is the name).

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-14, 10:46 PM
I think there is an Illuminian only-PrC like that in Races of Destiny; but I can't check at the moment, anyone willing to do that?

Malimar
2011-08-14, 10:54 PM
My first inclination would be Archivist, that's very close to what you're looking for, both fluff-wise and crunch-wise. However, it is a base class instead of a prestige class prestige class with no requirements that you can take at first level.

TwylyghT
2011-08-14, 11:00 PM
Temple raider actually had its own spell progression and spell list, instead of advancing existing. Other than that it firs the requirements.

Coidzor
2011-08-14, 11:09 PM
I think there is an Illuminian only-PrC like that in Races of Destiny; but I can't check at the moment, anyone willing to do that?

Loredelver, I think. I believe they offer something like bardic knowledge as well.

Can't remember if it's arcane-only or not though.

Elric VIII
2011-08-14, 11:31 PM
My first inclination would be Archivist, that's very close to what you're looking for, both fluff-wise and crunch-wise. However, it is a base class instead of a prestige class prestige class with no requirements that you can take at first level.

Well, TBH, I was thinking about Archivist or Cloistered Cleric/PrC Ranger as the base of this character. It's just that continuing Archivist doesn't really grant anything very new beyond Dark Knowledge, and the higher level effects are more easily duplicated by spells. Continuing PrC Ranger, beyond the first few levels does not grant much, as my goal is not an archer/melee, but the wilderness-survival and scouting spells of the Ranger.

Loredelver, I think. I believe they offer something like bardic knowledge as well.

Can't remember if it's arcane-only or not though.

Sadly it's Arcane.

Extreme Explorer, I believe was supposed to do that. It's Eberronian, I believe, but I don't think it satisfies anything but C for you.

Took a look at this class and it seemes to be basically a Wilderness Rogue with some extra action point abilities. Since my group doesn't use AP and I am not too fond of the system, personally, I think I'll skip this class. Thank you, though.

Coidzor
2011-08-14, 11:41 PM
Well, TBH, I was thinking about Archivist or Cloistered Cleric/PrC Ranger as the base of this character. It's just that continuing Archivist doesn't really grant anything very new beyond Dark Knowledge, and the higher level effects are more easily duplicated by spells. Continuing PrC Ranger, beyond the first few levels does not grant much, as my goal is not an archer/melee, but the wilderness-survival and scouting spells of the Ranger.

Able Learner + Sneakattacking Spellcaster PrCs (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240.0) if all you're really wanting to do is add a bit o' skillfullness to the chassis?

Though being divine probably is the real linchpin here.

Elric VIII
2011-08-14, 11:46 PM
Able Learner + Sneakattacking Spellcaster PrCs (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240.0) if all you're really wanting to do is add a bit o' skillfullness to the chassis?

Though being divine probably is the real linchpin here.

I actually already took a look at that guide prior to this thread. The only real option is Daggerspell Shaper.

Although, with the Cleric chassis I can dip into Rogue and take Sacred Outlaw.

gomipile
2011-08-14, 11:53 PM
Church Inquisitor meets your mechanical requirements, but the fluff is either great or only great for a BBEG.

Geomancer, likewise, but is even worse fluff-wise. I suppose you could make it work in a "scarred but enhanced by my adventures" way, but meh.

4 Levels of seeker of the Misty Isle could be excellent for an elven Alan Quatermain. (or all 10 for flavor, given that you only lose 2 caster levels.)

Coidzor
2011-08-15, 12:25 AM
Say, how are Divine Oracle's skillpoints?

NamelessNPC
2011-08-15, 01:18 AM
Pathfinder Oracle with the Lore mistery?
full spontaneous divine casting, 4+int skill points/lvl, CHA based, can use cha instead of int with knowledge skills.

it's not "archeological" in any way whatsoever, but that part you can fluff it up

now that I re-read it, most of its revelations come from learning about the past, so maybe it's good

Roc Ness
2011-08-15, 01:27 AM
How about the Giant's Divine Trickster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172910)? Pretty much everything that you specified, except it doesn't really have any abilities catered especially to adventurer-types.

Zaq
2011-08-15, 01:38 AM
Complete Champion has a couple of options.

Holt Warden is divine, 10/10 CL, and 4 + INT skills from a respectable list, but might not be quite the flavor you're after.

Paragnostic Apostle is actually pretty close to the mark, I think. Divine or arcane (no restriction), 5/5 CL, 4 + INT skills, reasonably appropriate flavor. The problem is that, well, if Indy is an adventuring archaeologist, the skill list is definitely geared more towards the "archeologist" part than the "adventuring" part.

There's always Ruathar (RotW), but it's only 3 levels long and has some horrific prereqs (sure, the skill/BAB/spell prereqs are damn near automatic, but you have to be a friend to the elves! Yuck).

Elric VIII
2011-08-15, 11:02 AM
Complete Champion has a couple of options.

Holt Warden is divine, 10/10 CL, and 4 + INT skills from a respectable list, but might not be quite the flavor you're after.

Paragnostic Apostle is actually pretty close to the mark, I think. Divine or arcane (no restriction), 5/5 CL, 4 + INT skills, reasonably appropriate flavor. The problem is that, well, if Indy is an adventuring archaeologist, the skill list is definitely geared more towards the "archeologist" part than the "adventuring" part.

There's always Ruathar (RotW), but it's only 3 levels long and has some horrific prereqs (sure, the skill/BAB/spell prereqs are damn near automatic, but you have to be a friend to the elves! Yuck).

Holt Warden seems perfect, thank you.

Socratov
2011-08-16, 12:34 PM
the first issue I have with your question is that indiana jones and quartermain are two completely different characters.

I see Indiana Jones as an archeologist first and nizi fighter extraordinaire second. I'd interpret this as a ranger with profession: Archeologist. Why ranger? He hates nazis and snakes with a passion we can only dream of. His archeologist background would indeed make him an ideal candidate for the temple raider of olidaramma.

Quartermain however is a hunter, and a crackshot at that. mechanicly I'd put him onto the scout baseclass, with a sniper PrC.

the second thing that bugs me is teh fact that neither actually tends to use spellcasting. Indi 'just' swings with his whip and does what rangers do foremost in the tracking department. I'd give him a locate object, but not really that much spellcasting (and ranger gives him a bit of spellcasting). the only magic Quatermain uses is beïng blessed by an african witchdoctor prohiboing him to die when on the african continent.

I do think however both to be extremely skilled (instead of relying on magic) so 4+int would be too little skillpoints, I'd rather give both 6.

as for PrC's that would go well with the concepts:

QuartermainL Order of the bow Initiate(CWar p.68), Cragtop Archer (RoS p.101).

Indiana Jones: Temple raider of Olidammara (CDiv p.67) and if you can refluff it a bit hellbreaker(FCII p.86) (a thief stealing artifacts from hell).

I know it's not exactly your recipe, but it does help with the characterconcepts...

nyarlathotep
2011-08-16, 12:47 PM
Seeker of the misty isle meets most of the needed requirements, but is only 8/10 casting and requires elf or half-elf.

Urpriest
2011-08-16, 12:48 PM
There's an excellent PrC in...Secrets of Xen'Drik? For this sort of thing if you want spellcasting. Primal Scholar. Fits all your criteria, and has a "exploring the wild ruins of blah" flavor to boot.

Elric VIII
2011-08-16, 01:03 PM
the first issue I have with your question is that indiana jones and quartermain are two completely different characters.

I see Indiana Jones as an archeologist first and nizi fighter extraordinaire second. I'd interpret this as a ranger with profession: Archeologist. Why ranger? He hates nazis and snakes with a passion we can only dream of. His archeologist background would indeed make him an ideal candidate for the temple raider of olidaramma.

Quartermain however is a hunter, and a crackshot at that. mechanicly I'd put him onto the scout baseclass, with a sniper PrC.

the second thing that bugs me is teh fact that neither actually tends to use spellcasting. Indi 'just' swings with his whip and does what rangers do foremost in the tracking department. I'd give him a locate object, but not really that much spellcasting (and ranger gives him a bit of spellcasting). the only magic Quatermain uses is beïng blessed by an african witchdoctor prohiboing him to die when on the african continent.

I do think however both to be extremely skilled (instead of relying on magic) so 4+int would be too little skillpoints, I'd rather give both 6.

as for PrC's that would go well with the concepts:

QuartermainL Order of the bow Initiate(CWar p.68), Cragtop Archer (RoS p.101).

Indiana Jones: Temple raider of Olidammara (CDiv p.67) and if you can refluff it a bit hellbreaker(FCII p.86) (a thief stealing artifacts from hell).

I know it's not exactly your recipe, but it does help with the characterconcepts...

I probably wasn't clear on exactly what I meant by the title. I don't want to recreaste those characters, I was to recreate the similar aspect of their personalities (note: I'm going for the Quatermain in Haggard's nvels, not the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen).

They are both somewhat grizzled/jaded individuals that rely on wit, wisdom, and knowledge to gain the upper hand. They are also explorers of sorts (although it is somewhat reluctant on the part of Quatermain) that delve into mythological mysteries.

There's an excellent PrC in...Secrets of Xen'Drik? For this sort of thing if you want spellcasting. Primal Scholar. Fits all your criteria, and has a "exploring the wild ruins of blah" flavor to boot.

Sadly, that has the same problem as Extreme Explorer of being an action point-based class. I think a slightly refluffed version of Holt Warden is the best choice for me (I was thinking of changing the Talk-to-Trees ability to something like Lore: digging up random bits of knowledge from yor memory).

Stix
2011-08-16, 07:02 PM

the complete divine Temple Raider was a revamp of the Temple Raider from Song and Silence (IMHO neither are very good classes) also in Song and silence is the Royal Explorer which is a pretty skill oriented class but has some interesting fluff if you're going for the explorer type.