PDA

View Full Version : Aztec Half-Vampire Sorcerer

the humanity
2011-08-15, 12:56 AM
well, I'm starting a new campaign with a brand new DM.

my character is a Dhampir sorcerer with a tendency to mailman it. I've decided the following things about him-
1) His name is Xical (unimportant) from Chult (same)
2) He views blood as the embodiment of a soul, and thus doesn't share it with anyone.
3) He feels that some souls cannot be redeemed, and therefore are ok to savor as a meal. However, he does like to make sure before he does so. As such, it will be a rare blood drinking.
4) He has ceremonies he likes to do before he drinks blood.

What should he do in these ceremonies? What are good bloodsucker sorcerer type lines? Aztec lines?

Vemynal
2011-08-15, 01:41 AM
sounds kinda like Dexter from the show "Dexter"

Maybe check out a character synopsis for more ideas?

jguy
2011-08-15, 01:41 AM
Is this a Pathfinder game? If so, check out their bloodlines. You could probably find one that fits your character pretty well. Heck, there is an Undead Bloodline even.

GodGoblin
2011-08-15, 04:54 AM
Also what template are you using exactly for half vamp? I thought they were usually LA heavy...

Ravens_cry
2011-08-15, 07:37 AM
Also what template are you using exactly for half vamp? I thought they were usually LA heavy...
Dhampir or 'half-vampire' is a race (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/dhampir) in Pathfinder, not a template.
I agree with jguy, Bloodlines would be good for this. Undead might be interesting, but some of the Jungle-themed ones, like Serpentine (http://http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/serpentine-bloodline)*, could be thematic with the Aztec idea.
*No known relation to the forum member.

the humanity
2011-08-16, 01:26 AM
This is pure flavor.

and sadly, this is slightly vamped PF Dhampir for a 3.5 campaign. change some bonuses and all that. I am taking draconic heritage feats, but only to get more vampirelike qualities like temporary flight. I could work it in I guess.

drakir_nosslin
2011-08-16, 02:57 AM
The Spell Thematics feat is nice if you want to add extra flavor to your character, with the added benefit of +1 CL on your chosen spells (of which you may gain 9.)
The Blood Magus PRC (CM or CA, don't remember) is very suitable for this theme as well, but the prereqs sucks, check with your DM if you can substitute them for something else.

the humanity
2011-08-16, 10:22 AM
I don't need any help with the build, just looking for fun flavor concepts.

Example:
In Aztec human sacrifice, a knife would be used to cut from abdomen to sternum and the heart would be pulled out and put in a cup after the body was discarded. The character could use this technique instead of the usual neck bite when he does his blood drinking.

Analytica
2011-08-16, 10:28 AM
Maybe use analysis of blood as a tool to understand someone? Prefers to use divination using blood samples as a focus, for instance? Needs to taste someone before he can really understand who they are?

Alternately, illusions based on using blood sampled from other people, or animals: project a "false soul".

EDIT: Also: your magic is your soul. For that magic circle of evil, draw the circle with your blood. Buffing spells likewise. For a magic weapon spell, slash your hand with the blade. Mage armor by smearing your blood onto your body. Etc.

WinWin
2011-08-16, 11:52 AM
Do a search for the game Dominions. The nation Mictlan is inspired by Aztec legends and fantasy tropes, particularly blood magic.

the humanity
2011-08-16, 07:37 PM
Maybe use analysis of blood as a tool to understand someone? Prefers to use divination using blood samples as a focus, for instance? Needs to taste someone before he can really understand who they are?

Alternately, illusions based on using blood sampled from other people, or animals: project a "false soul".

EDIT: Also: your magic is your soul. For that magic circle of evil, draw the circle with your blood. Buffing spells likewise. For a magic weapon spell, slash your hand with the blade. Mage armor by smearing your blood onto your body. Etc.

All good ideas, but I really like the bolded.

the connection to Dexter is uncanny. truth be told, I have never watched a single episode, but if wikipedia is anything to go by, the nail was hit right on the head by that concept, though with the need being satisfied by the eating being one of a constant intense craving, not a psychological thrill. if anything it has as much in common with a strong willed Taxxon (Animorphs) as him.

I can't find very much information on Dominions. what I have found is the Mictlan are very very evil. I'm thinking less evil, more heroically struggling to sate itself without truly sinning. If it helps, pretend (this is regardless of your own particular morals about the subject) that the act of eating another is not a sin, but preventing one from reaching a good afterlife is, and Xical thinks his eating of another's blood will prevent them from going that way.

Vemynal
2011-08-16, 09:06 PM
the connection to Dexter is uncanny. truth be told, I have never watched a single episode, but if wikipedia is anything to go by, the nail was hit right on the head by that concept

you're welcome :)

As someone who is an *avid* fan of the show I can say this about Dexter; he is all about the struggle.

He enjoys the kill, he psychologically needs to kill. If he goes a certain length of time without killing someone he becomes frayed at the edges. Not able to focus or think straight.
Maybe some sort of killing based flaw, that requires you to kill (for a slight bonus) but if you go without it for a time you receive a slight negative adjustment?

But he has to follow "Harry's Code" the code put down by his step-father. It requires him to always first find *proof* that this person has killed someone else in the past, and has escaped justice. (exceptions: he killed a pedophile once who hadn't murdered anyone but had taken creepy pictures of his step-daughter. More power to him imo)

Maybe you're character is required to follow some code that requires proof of evil deeds? Dexter uses a lot of his CSI training for detective work to confirm if someone is a bad person. I could see these codes operating a lot like the "vampires can't enter a house uninvited" except more along the lines of "Always have to speak with the target before hand", "Can not kill target in any place you were both seen together", etc.

Dexter also does all of this under the noses of all his coworkers in the Miami Homicide department. Maybe no one knows about your characters blood drinking and you're the member of some elite guard force.
On occasion Dexter would help bad guys escape justice by destroying evidence so he can get to the victim himself instead of lettign the police take his victim. Maybe you're character would do the same.

the humanity
2011-08-16, 09:27 PM
hmm. if this isn't allowed on the forum (I can't remember tbh) but anyone know a place I can watch an episode or two of the show besides whenever it's on?

Ravens_cry
2011-08-17, 02:28 AM
Try your local library? Some have quite extensive collections of television series on DVD and/or VHS, I know mine does.