PDA

View Full Version : So, anyone watching "Durarara!!" on Adult Swim?

Elrik
2011-08-15, 02:16 AM
I’ve been watching it for the past two weeks. I haven’t read the manga but this looks like the kind of thing I should start pointlessly investing money and time into. The characters are interesting, Izaya Orihira is too mysterious to be just a regular human, Celty is a captivating protagonist, etc.

Has anyone watched the series, or is planning on tuning in on Saturdays? It’s on at 12:30 after Bleach, which I also sort of enjoy (but it’s going through some painful filler episodes at this point, I think Charlotte Chuhlhourne just died or something).

Or, if you're smart, you could just record it and watch it in the morning or something, which I should seriously start doing.

Flickerdart
2011-08-15, 12:59 PM
There's plenty more interesting characters in the show than Izaya and Celty. Especially the boring ones. The manga also has a bunch of stuff the show doesn't cover.

Morph Bark
2011-08-15, 01:05 PM
There's plenty more interesting characters in the show than Izaya and Celty. Especially the boring ones. The manga also has a bunch of stuff the show doesn't cover.

Oh god yes. Durarara's boring people have such strange twists revealed only later on.

Yes, even that guy. Especially that guy.

Tengu_temp
2011-08-15, 02:07 PM
Durarara is a bit worse than Baccano, but it's still very good and enjoyable. And yes, it's one of the shows where every single character is awesome and/or crazy. My favorites are the Shinra household and Dotachin's group, the latter of which really makes the otherwise bleh third arc of the anime for me.

Pokonic
2011-08-15, 02:23 PM
I started seeing it about a month ago, and so far has grabbed my attention. In fact, I dont even like Baccano, and am still likeing this.

Fri
2011-08-15, 03:24 PM
I used to like baccano much more, but with time, and with the manga getting published officially here, slowly somehow I'm starting to enjoy durarara better and better, especially the first half of the anime. I'm going to watch baccano again to see whether it's just because I've just seen it once though.

Haruki-kun
2011-08-15, 06:29 PM
I actually did things backwards: I watched Durarara!! first and then I watched Baccano!. While I agree Baccano! is better, Durarara!! is still pretty amazing.

Rappy
2011-08-15, 08:21 PM
Yes, I am watching.

...What, you wanted more than that? :smalltongue:

irenicObserver
2011-08-15, 10:28 PM
HELL YES!!! *ahem*

I am a big fan of the show, yes.

Elrik
2011-08-15, 11:31 PM

So far, most of the side character segments I've seen are also pretty captivating. Normally I'm into an animated show just because of a few cool characters (*cough* Azula and Zuko) but this one looks like I'll have to dig into my wallet and get the manga too.

Yes, I am watching.

...What, you wanted more than that? :smalltongue:

Yes.

IS IT GOOD? :smallbiggrin:

Admiral Squish
2011-08-16, 02:11 AM
I've seen all the episodes of Durarara, but I've never really heard of Baccano. I'll have to check that out.

EDIT: Jaccuzi Splot has got to be the best name EVER.

Lord Seth
2011-08-16, 08:38 PM
I'm puzzled by the love Durarara seems to get. Nothing seems to ever happen in the show, the characters are all fairly boring and without any real personality, and I can't even seem to find anything resembling a storyline. I probably would've given up on it if not for the fact that it's sandwiched between two anime I do want to watch.

Seraph
2011-08-16, 08:43 PM
I'm puzzled by the love Durarara seems to get. Nothing seems to ever happen in the show, the characters are all fairly boring and without any real personality, and I can't even seem to find anything resembling a storyline. I probably would've given up on it if not for the fact that it's sandwiched between two anime I do want to watch.

it's very slow burning. most of the "boring" characters turn out to be anything but.

Lord Seth
2011-08-16, 08:51 PM
it's very slow burning.That was another issue I had with the show; the pacing so far is horrendous, if I can even call it pacing (doesn't pacing require actual movement?).

I'm willing to accept that maybe the show just takes a while to get going, but we're 8 episodes in already on a 26-episode series. If it doesn't get better by the time Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood finishes, I'm probably going to just quit watching it.

Reverent-One
2011-08-16, 08:59 PM
Well, it's at the point now where the plot threads that they've laid over the past few episodes are tying together, you should at least like the pacing more from here on out.

Starwulf
2011-08-16, 09:56 PM
Well, it's at the point now where the plot threads that they've laid over the past few episodes are tying together, you should at least like the pacing more from here on out.

Yeah, I just finally got around to watching the episode that aired Saturday night, and by the end of the episode, with the things that were revealed(Selties head), along with other knowledge, I'm starting to really see an over-all plot emerge, and how various characters tie into it. The one thing that I am highly curious about though, is the Slasher or whatever, with the burning red eyes. I do hope more of that arc is explored soon, and how it ties into that Medical Company, and the others.

Rappy
2011-08-16, 11:20 PM
Yes.

IS IT GOOD? :smallbiggrin:
It's a fairly good show. Not the best I've ever seen, but it draws my interest in the resolution of the various plots at hand and the curiosity for what happens next.

Fri
2011-08-17, 03:37 AM

The first half isn't plot/arc focused. It's basically just slice of life, though with hint of bigger plot, and not your average sitcom life. It's not like slice of life series are rare. You won't say Friends slow paced because there aren't musch of a story arc there, would you? I can see how people can be disappointed if they're expecting something with overreaching storyline though.

Lord Seth
2011-08-17, 07:13 PM
The first half isn't plot/arc focused. It's basically just slice of life, though with hint of bigger plot, and not your average sitcom life. It's not like slice of life series are rare. You won't say Friends slow paced because there aren't musch of a story arc there, would you?Friends was a comedy, however. As long as the jokes kept coming, you can forgive other areas where it's lacking. Actually, comedies in general are pretty low on any kind of complex story, but as long as they're funny we can forgive that aspect.

I can see how people can be disappointed if they're expecting something with overreaching storyline though.I don't mind things without much of an overreaching storyline, and I don't have a problem with slice of life either. But I don't feel like I've been given much if any reason to care about anything in the show. There's no plot to speak of and the characters are so unengaging I have trouble remembering much of anything about them.

The series reminds me a bit of the movie Nashville, but Nashville was a heck of a lot better than Durarara!!! has been so far. I learned much more about the characters in that movie than I have in Durarara!!! so far, and Nashville was shorter than the total length of the Durarara episodes up to this point.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-17, 07:22 PM
I missed the last two episodes and feel as though I'd be lost if I started watching again. It did look good though.

Viera Champion
2011-08-17, 10:19 PM
Me and my friends had an anime party and we watched the whole series in one day, subbed of course. I started recording the dubbed version last week.

Durarara has the most AMAZING Surprise twists and crazy things ever! We all freaked out like every episode goes our minds kept getting blown.

Kato
2011-08-18, 01:33 PM
Durarara has the most AMAZING Surprise twists and crazy things ever! We all freaked out like every episode goes our minds kept getting blown.

Uhm... really? Not that I didn't enjoy the show but it was rather low on 'AMAZING surprise twists' I dare say. Or maybe I've just become too genre savvy. It's still a nice show but lots of nit not that surprising (well, two or three)

Morph Bark
2011-08-19, 05:13 AM
That was another issue I had with the show; the pacing so far is horrendous, if I can even call it pacing (doesn't pacing require actual movement?).

I'm willing to accept that maybe the show just takes a while to get going, but we're 8 episodes in already on a 26-episode series. If it doesn't get better by the time Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood finishes, I'm probably going to just quit watching it.

It wasn't until the end that I realized "wow, looking back, there's actually quite a lot that happened". Basically, Durarara is like one of those movies that follow several characters that seem to have nothing to do with one another and who seem to just be going on with their lives, until right at the end it is revealed it was all part of a big overarching plot that is actually pretty interesting.

I also have to agree with what was said before: the first half is boring, which is mostly because you don't know yet what is really going on other than "slice of life".