PDA

View Full Version : Shield Slam 3.5 (CW) and Shield Slam PF (PH)

Griffin
2011-08-15, 10:04 AM
I was looking around for shield feats, and found that, both PF and 3.5 have a feat named the same but that do diferent things, the 3.5 one dazes the oponent while the PF one applies a free bull rush without AoO from your enemy (even if you don't' have the improved bull rush feat)

I know that it is posibly an update from paizo to the original Feat, but I also know that all of paizo material is compatible with any 3.5 material, so my question is, can this 2 feats on a character created in PF? and if the answer is yes, will both feats apply when using a full round action shield bash o in a shield charge?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-08-15, 10:20 AM
Even if your DM lets you take them both they won't stack, Shield Slam (PF) applies on a shield bash attack, Shield Slam (3.5) is it's own separate full round action.

Griffin
2011-08-15, 10:22 AM
Even if your DM lets you take them both they won't stack, Shield Slam (PF) applies on a shield bash attack, Shield Slam (3.5) is it's own separate full round action.

But, it is possible to pick them both, even if they don't stack?

In any case, both apply on a shield bash attack, so why they wont stack?, if you charge I guess they don't stack, but if you do a full round action shield bash, I'm not so sure they don't stack...

supermonkeyjoe
2011-08-15, 10:31 AM
If the DM lets you take 3.5 feats in the pathfinder game then yes you could take both but they would be used separately;

The pathfinder rules say;

Shield Bash Attacks: You can bash an opponent with a heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See “shield, heavy” on Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a heavy shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon. If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its Armor Class bonus until your next turn. An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

Shield Slam from complete warrior reads;
As a full-round action or as a charge action, you may make an attack with your shield against an opponent.
This is not a shield bash, this is a completely separate full round action that deals shield bash damage and has a chance to stun so the pathfinder shield bash wouldn't technically apply.

Griffin
2011-08-15, 10:38 AM
If the DM lets you take 3.5 feats in the pathfinder game then yes you could take both but they would be used separately;

The pathfinder rules say;

Shield Slam from complete warrior reads;
This is not a shield bash, this is a completely separate full round action that deals shield bash damage and has a chance to stun so the pathfinder shield bash wouldn't technically apply.

Thats the part I don't get, if it does deal shield bash damage, why would the 2 wouldn't stack?, I mean, yes, its still a full round action, but its a still a shield bash, and the full round action applies to movement and standard action, but free action (such as the bull rush provided by the shield slam from PF) could still be applied, or so I presume or guess

Thanks also for the first response, that was the main question of the topic, just need to clarify this second question too

supermonkeyjoe
2011-08-15, 10:45 AM
The way I'm reading it is that the Shield Slam does the same amount of damage as a shield bash, but it isn't a shield bash.

A shield bash is an attack that uses the shield as an off hand weapon.

A shield slam is a full round or charge action that deals the same damage as a shield bash and has a chance to daze your opponent.

The only reason I wouldn't allow it is because then it would also stack with the shield charge feat which you need to take Shield Slam(3.5) then you could charge your foe, hit with a shield and damage, trip daze and bull rush them all at once.

Griffin
2011-08-15, 10:48 AM
The way I'm reading it is that the Shield Slam does the same amount of damage as a shield bash, but it isn't a shield bash.

A shield bash is an attack that uses the shield as an off hand weapon.

A shield slam is a full round or charge action that deals the same damage as a shield bash and has a chance to daze your opponent.

The only reason I wouldn't allow it is because then it would also stack with the shield charge feat which you need to take Shield Slam(3.5) then you could charge your foe, hit with a shield and damage, trip daze and bull rush them all at once.

I do understand it, because thats was my thinking, Im trying to find out what can I do with a shield, so from your point of view, it shouldnt be allowed, but, its not RAW, so, its up to the DM then?

Hamburgers
2011-08-15, 11:56 AM
The Shield Slam feat gives you a special type of attack. Just because it happens to be the same amount of damage does not make it a shield bash.

Griffin
2011-08-15, 12:42 PM
The Shield Slam feat gives you a special type of attack. Just because it happens to be the same amount of damage does not make it a shield bash.

Its not about the damage at all, its about the source of the attack, whats the diference between an attack with a shield and shield bash?

As far as my little understanding tells me, there are none

Starbuck_II
2011-08-15, 07:58 PM
Its not about the damage at all, its about the source of the attack, whats the diference between an attack with a shield and shield bash?

You could only combine both with a Charge since you one feat limits useage (except in Charges).

The Random NPC
2011-08-15, 11:09 PM

An attack action and a full action are different. If you have an ability that stuns when you use a move action, you would stun when you use a full round action. They are two different actions. Just because you make an attack with a shield, it doesn't make it a shield bash.