PDA

View Full Version : Combat robots

pendell
2011-08-15, 11:16 AM
Just checked out build your own combat robot (http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Combat-Robot/dp/0072194642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313424556&sr=8-1) from my local library (Chantilly regional). Looks like fascinating reading. I'm wondering if anyone ELSE is planning on building their own robot army of death to counter the zombie invasion when it happens.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Traab
2011-08-15, 12:12 PM
Im thinking an oversized Ziggo. If you dont know who that was, it was the lightweight champ of battlebots. Probably the hardest to beat bot ive ever seen. It was like a half dome that spun REALLY fast, with a sort of scoop protrusion that it used to slam into and toss other bots. That thing was deadly. Make it about the size of a Labrador Retriever and add some blades to it and it will slice, dice, and julienne any zombies that get within range.

Keld Denar
2011-08-15, 12:50 PM
There is a league for combat robots over here on the left coast. They are called WAR (Western Allied Robotics).

Brian, the REAL question is, will you integrate your robotic mini-fridge expertese into the design of a combat robot? It needs to be able to shred your opponents into a pulp while simultaneously delivering frothy refreshments. Make it happen!

pendell
2011-08-15, 01:31 PM
Brian, the REAL question is, will you integrate your robotic mini-fridge expertese into the design of a combat robot? It needs to be able to shred your opponents into a pulp while simultaneously delivering frothy refreshments. Make it happen!

Working on that very thing. While we did not build it, I'm thinking of incorporating some variation on the beer cannon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVyLuosZ1rY). Plus, a robotic minibar would be able to trundle down to the refilling station and fill itself. Also pursue guests who were foolish enough to try to leave without paying their bill, heh heh.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

druid91
2011-08-15, 01:33 PM
Pendell makes Robotic mini-fridges?

A robotic mini-fridge. That's almost as crazy as the Ad-mech microwave. (It's a microwave with springs like a toaster. It shoots the cooked food out down a ramp onto the counter.)

pendell
2011-08-15, 01:36 PM
Pendell makes Robotic mini-fridges?

A robotic mini-fridge. That's almost as crazy as the Ad-mech microwave. (It's a microwave with springs like a toaster. It shoots the cooked food out down a ramp onto the counter.)

Actually , they're minibars (http://www.minibar.ch/standard.cfm?ID_n=204&haupt=137&unter=204&language=1). Sensors detect when a guest takes a drink out and automatically bills their account. I'm considering how to add mobility and weapons to the next generation.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

druid91
2011-08-15, 01:51 PM
Actually , they're minibars (http://www.minibar.ch/standard.cfm?ID_n=204&haupt=137&unter=204&language=1). Sensors detect when a guest takes a drink out and automatically bills their account. I'm considering how to add mobility and weapons to the next generation.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Oh... I was imagining a little fridge on tank treads. That shot cans/bottles out to a claw which lifted it to grabbing height.

Keld Denar
2011-08-15, 01:56 PM
Proof that pendell is awesome. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190024)

As if proof was actually needed...

Tyndmyr
2011-08-15, 02:08 PM
Just checked out build your own combat robot (http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Combat-Robot/dp/0072194642/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313424556&sr=8-1) from my local library (Chantilly regional). Looks like fascinating reading. I'm wondering if anyone ELSE is planning on building their own robot army of death to counter the zombie invasion when it happens.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I have a series of half-built robotic warships at 1:144 scale in my living room. And yes, one of them already has weapon systems.

Does that count?

pendell
2011-08-15, 02:18 PM
I have a series of half-built robotic warships at 1:144 scale in my living room. And yes, one of them already has weapon systems.

Does that count?

You're expecting zombies by sea? Wouldn't they just walk across the seafloor like Pirates of the Caribbean?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

druid91
2011-08-15, 02:19 PM

Does that count?

You remind me so much of my friend with this comment.

he has a miniature robotic Soviet Typhoon IIRC. Made a comment about looking to install torpedo tubes on facebook.

Tyndmyr
2011-08-15, 02:57 PM
It's extremely hard to use proper torpedoes of the right scale...but you can cheat it by mounting the compressed air in the sub, and still get some propulsion that way.

Encourage him to do it!

Mercenary Pen
2011-08-16, 12:58 PM
Well, in terms of building combat robots there's quite a steep UK-induced learning curve, courtesy of Robot Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Wars_%28TV_series%29)- which to the best of my knowledge pioneered things like self-righting mechanisms and other similarly brutal weapons...

Edit: Further digging tells me that SRiMechs were actually american in origin.

cattoy
2011-08-17, 02:36 PM
Ziggo dominated his weight class for quite a while, but pound for pound, I never saw any bot as nasty as Hazard. The problem with full-body spinners like Ziggo is that they are often their own worst enemy. Any irregularity in the ground surface and they're gyrating completely out of control. Also, if just one of their spikes gets knocked off, the resulting imbalance makes them useless.

If you really needed a bot to defend yourself against zombies, I would probably go with something a little larger like Surgeon General, a heavyweight. (the flywheel bot that eviscerated killerhurtz)

In a world full of uneven surfaces, you'll want a larger bot with larger tires to deal with real world environments. Also, more weight lets you do more damage.

Mercenary Pen
2011-08-17, 02:58 PM
Ziggo dominated his weight class for quite a while, but pound for pound, I never saw any bot as nasty as Hazard.

If you really needed a bot to defend yourself against zombies, I would probably go with something a little larger like Surgeon General, a heavyweight. (the flywheel bot that eviscerated killerhurtz)

In a world full of uneven surfaces, you'll want a larger bot with larger tires to deal with real world environments. Also, more weight lets you do more damage.

As a Brit, I have to promote the merits of Razer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razer_%28robot%29), which demonstrated continual design evolution to keep placing highly and indeed winning events- and on top of all that the cobra style design was awesome.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-17, 03:40 PM
You remind me so much of my friend with this comment.

he has a miniature robotic Soviet Typhoon IIRC. Made a comment about looking to install torpedo tubes on facebook.
At least he wasn't looking to install ballistic missile launchers.:smalleek:

Jalor
2011-08-17, 06:28 PM
Im thinking an oversized Ziggo. If you dont know who that was, it was the lightweight champ of battlebots. Probably the hardest to beat bot ive ever seen. It was like a half dome that spun REALLY fast, with a sort of scoop protrusion that it used to slam into and toss other bots. That thing was deadly. Make it about the size of a Labrador Retriever and add some blades to it and it will slice, dice, and julienne any zombies that get within range.

Ziggo was successful for several reasons that might not be immediately obvious. The shaft that spins the shell is hollow, with the antenna mounted inside. This keeps the antenna stationary, so the flag on top can be used to show which way the front wheels are pointing (most robots of that design have no such feature, which makes driving them that much harder). Ziggo is also built very close to the weight limit; when completed, it was actually a pound over, so the builder drilled holes in every part of the chassis not vital to the bot's structural integrity and grinded the shell down a bit. The weapon also uses an unusual gear ratio, so it takes longer to spin up than other bots of its size and design, but strikes with more force. Almost no opponent ever took advantage of this fact.

The end result; a compact, maneuverable robot a pound or two heavier than most others in its class, with an unusually forceful weapon made of tool steel.

druid91
2011-08-20, 09:25 AM
At least he wasn't looking to install ballistic missile launchers.:smalleek:

We are talking about a person who rigged up a robotic turret in their Dorm-room in order to pelt intruders with nerf darts while he was gone.

That's probably next.

cattoy
2011-08-21, 01:53 PM
Ziggo was successful for several reasons that might not be immediately obvious. The shaft that spins the shell is hollow, with the antenna mounted inside. This keeps the antenna stationary, so the flag on top can be used to show which way the front wheels are pointing (most robots of that design have no such feature, which makes driving them that much harder). Ziggo is also built very close to the weight limit; when completed, it was actually a pound over, so the builder drilled holes in every part of the chassis not vital to the bot's structural integrity and grinded the shell down a bit. The weapon also uses an unusual gear ratio, so it takes longer to spin up than other bots of its size and design, but strikes with more force. Almost no opponent ever took advantage of this fact.

The end result; a compact, maneuverable robot a pound or two heavier than most others in its class, with an unusually forceful weapon made of tool steel.

With spinners, you never use gears to transfer energy to the spinning part. It's suicide. When you use gears, all the energy of impact is imparted directly to the gears, which will strip or shatter them instantly, leaving you literally and figuratively toothless.

In my years of attending Battlebots, I've lost count of the one-hit wonders who used gears, chains or other rigid mechanisms to power flywheel type weapons. It seems like such a good idea, right until you hit something solid.

In any case, it is a magnificently engineered bot, but it is limited by its reliance on optimal operating circumstances. As with anything heavy spinning fast, even a tiny imperfection will cause it to oscillate violently, rendering it useless. Full body spinners are way overrated.

Fay Graydon
2011-08-21, 05:18 PM
Just putting in my two pence...
I've met the behemoth boys (from robot wars) twice, once at an anime expo one year, and once again at a little sci fi fair thing.
The second time i actually got to have a little tiny go with one of there robots

Was amazing <3

Keld Denar
2011-08-22, 01:59 PM
I was always more of a fan of Son of Whyachi (http://www.teamwhyachi.com/sow.htm) from Battle Bots. A 3-hammer bludgeoning spinner on a walking chassis. I watched Robo Wars a bit, but it was always on a wierd channel at wierd times, and I'm pretty sure they were reruns anyway. I liked Battle Bots, but I always wished they would do multi-bot battles. The hazards on Battle Bots were also better than those on Robo Wars, with the exception of the boss bots whom I felt added a bit too much bias to the match.

TheThan
2011-08-22, 05:12 PM
I was always more of a fan of Son of Whyachi (http://www.teamwhyachi.com/sow.htm) from Battle Bots. A 3-hammer bludgeoning spinner on a walking chassis. I watched Robo Wars a bit, but it was always on a wierd channel at wierd times, and I'm pretty sure they were reruns anyway. I liked Battle Bots, but I always wished they would do multi-bot battles. The hazards on Battle Bots were also better than those on Robo Wars, with the exception of the boss bots whom I felt added a bit too much bias to the match.

I thought that battle bots was a better constructed show as well. the ring was much bigger and the hazzards were far better than on Robot wars. they did do a few (url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHZ40lVd2ms] battle royals[/url]. IIRC they were always at the end of the season, after a champ was chosen for each weight class.