PDA

View Full Version : I need a bit of help with a build.

Metahuman1
2011-08-15, 12:57 PM
Alright, I've had an idea for a build, but I'm not sure how this would work. It was inspired by this thread, http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203915 . Now, What I'm wondering is, if I put a trap into a ranged weapon, say the trigger of a crossbow, and made the trap an Orb spell, could I then have it set up so that when I pulled the trigger of the cross bow, it fired an Orb spell in the direction the crossbow was aimed at? And if the answer is yes, how would the too hit bonus be determined? Based on the two hit bonus of whoever made the trap with the spell in it, or based on mine at the time I activate the trap?

Appreciate the help and input!

Keld Denar
2011-08-15, 01:00 PM
Traps nearly always affect the triggerer, either directly (by targetting or aiming with an attack) or indirectly (AoE effect centered on the triggerer).

What you are asking for is basically an infinte use use-activated magic item, which there are already rules for. (Or at least guidelines. Poor poor poor guidelines.)

Metahuman1
2011-08-15, 01:31 PM
Yeah, thought it was a longshot. I was kinda hoping it would work though, as it would be a great way too give something nice for Archer characters.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-15, 05:56 PM
Yeah, thought it was a longshot. I was kinda hoping it would work though, as it would be a great way too give something nice for Archer characters.

Ya but it WOULD be a bit rigged :smallbiggrin:. I would suggest doing this: Make a crossbow or bow or whatever deal entirely fire damage then re fluff it as shooting a fireball or orb of flame. Sure it doesn't stun but you could add the stunning surge enchantment on it as well if you want.

Metahuman1
2011-08-15, 05:58 PM
That's not a bad idea actually. I might use that. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-15, 06:04 PM
That's not a bad idea actually. I might use that. Thanks. :smallsmile:

No problem :smallsmile:. Also a suggestion I thought of right now, you could make it brilliant energy to make it a touch attack as well. (Ignore the part about not hitting undead constructs or objects. It won't unbalance it at all.)