PDA

View Full Version : Help me pack for a trip to Costa Rica!

veven
2011-08-15, 03:26 PM
I'm leaving tomorrow for Costa Rica to work on a farm near Puerto Viejo de Limon. The purpose of the trip is mainly to practice my spanish (I am a spanish major) but there is also the whole, "college-angst-gotta-get-out-of-my-home-town" thing going on too (I moved out for college but it's still only like 45 minutes from home so yeah..).

Anyways, I've got a short list of stuff to pack but I don't want to forget anything important so I come to the playground for aid. I'll be gone for about 5 weeks

The list so far:
-Flash light
-Hiking Boots
-Rubber Boots (according to the farm I'm working on these are very important)
-sheets
-sleeping bag
-shampoo
-soap
-laundry soap
-light work clothes (pants and shirts)
-rain coat
-Long socks (for the boots)
-mosquito repellent (apparently the Carribean coast is full of em')
-Sun screen (so so much sunscreen. I am so very white.)
-books
-journals
-nutritional supplements
-deodorant
-toothpaste
-toilet paper (for emergencies)
-water bottle (like a nalgene or something)
-multitool
-batteries (for the flashlight)
-towel
-money belt
-passport
-Drivers License
-pens/pencils
-English/Spanish dictionary
-snacks of some sort (granola, trail mix, etc)

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Ashtar
2011-08-16, 09:41 AM
A pack of playing cards, a miniature compass, a couple of post-cards with pictures of where you live to show to people (bonus points if you have the large 3 panel panorama), condoms (Even if you have no intent on anything, hell they might not even be for you, but someone else in need), camera (even if it's just a disposable), small rugged notepad, a set of spare shoelaces (always useful to tie things up). On the spot, get a small lighter, even if you don't smoke. :)

A swimsuit or swimming trunks, for if you get a day off to get to the sea.

Lord Loss
2011-08-16, 11:54 AM
If you're brining a flashlight, I reccomend the wind-up kind. They're powered by kinetic energy or something, you can wind them up to provide light. TheyK're amazingly useful if you're stuck somewhere dark (you never know) and are great for conventional use as long as you remember to win them up.

Some form of first aid kit might be a nice touch, as would be some books or other forms of entertainment for the quieter moments (plane ride comes to mind, but books are always good to bring along on nay trip).

EDIT: Nevermind about the books, I see you've got that covered.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 01:15 PM
-Sun screen (so so much sunscreen. I am so very white.)

Just make sure it's not in your carry-on bag. I made that mistake and it was taken away at the airport. You don't want to go somewhere tropic without sun screen. OUCH!:smalleek:

Xyk
2011-08-16, 01:56 PM
A pocket knife or multi-tool of some sort is always helpful. I use mine even when not in Costa Rica.

Edit: After looking a second time, I see you've all ready listed that one.

Lillith
2011-08-16, 03:04 PM
I agree on the camera but not a disposable kind. Seriously the country is amazing nature wise and just some disposable camera is going to be unable to make nice pictures for you. Try to borrow a normal camera from someone.

Also bring a travel sized translator book, some areas don't have a lot of English speaking people.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 03:18 PM
I agree on the camera but not a disposable kind. Seriously the country is amazing nature wise and just some disposable camera is going to be unable to make nice pictures for you. Try to borrow a normal camera from someone.

Again on a subject I made a great mistake with: make sure you remember to bring a charger for a digital camera.

LCR
2011-08-16, 04:01 PM
Make sure you have the needed vaccinations and pack medicine especially against diarrhea. You might also want to pack antimalarial medication, depending on your exact area of travel. As usual, see a qualified physician before you depart.

Also: Cook it, peel it or forget it. And for the love of god, don't drink the water.

Edit: Found this (http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/costa-rica.htm) handy resource for traveling to Costa Rica.