PDA

View Full Version : Countering Defensive casting?

Mikka
2011-08-15, 03:53 PM
Is there anyway other than Mage Slayer to counter/ruin defensive casting?

I remember just recently reading a feat or class ability which WASN'T Mage slayer, and which i think didn't make the pesky wizard aware of the fact that his defensive casting still would provoke an attack of opportunity.

Besides, any other nice advice against wizards as a poor melee person?

Making a Witch hunter character , Paladin(2)/Fighter(1)/+1 Bab Class going into Witch Slayer from Tome of Magic (gives mettle, slippery mind and spell-lockdown and Possessed/exorcist smiting :thog:)

Keld Denar
2011-08-15, 04:00 PM
Spellcaster Harrier, IIRC, is in the epic feats section.

Spellcasting Harrier [Epic]
Prerequisite
Combat Reflexes.

Benefit
Any spellcaster you threaten in melee provokes an attack of opportunity if he or she tries to cast defensively. You get a +4 bonus on this attack roll.

The only other option is to ready an attack, which is rather inefficient.

tyckspoon
2011-08-15, 04:01 PM
Spellcasting Harrier, but it's an Epic feat. I don't know of any other pre-Epic things that do it (although I don't claim to have complete mastery of this particular field, and would not be surprised if there is something else beyond Mage Slayer.) If you're really wanting to directly shut down a caster, the best result is usually achieved with either a good ranged weapon or extended reach + readying to smack them when they cast; if you can deliver 20-30some damage on a single blow, you'll usually wreck a spell.

Alefiend
2011-08-15, 04:06 PM
Grapple. Then throttle.

Mikka
2011-08-15, 04:07 PM
I'm trying to create an indomitable character, and he seems pretty alright except for the fact that i suddenly realized that while he might be hard to get to, he has no capabilities to keep his opponents from just going "yeah im just gonna leave lol!" So far im looking at something like this.

Paladin (2) : +cha to saves, good saves, full bab→
Fighter (2) : +fort , full bab +2 feats
+Barbarian (1): +fort, POUNCE

Witch Slayer (Tome of magic):->> Bonus jazz

Feats:
1: Martial Study (Devoted something)
h: Inhuman Reach
flaw: Aberration Blood
f: Bladeproof Skin (spelltouched)
Fighter: Combat Reflexes
Fighter: Close Quarters Fighting (To counter grapplers)
3: Martial Study (Wall of Blades) : to counter Ranged touch attacks and lead up to Iron Heart Surge, unless theres better options?
6: Martial Stance (Thicket of Blades)

ToB classes are sadly not allowed, but your Initiator level is equal to your BaB.

Ohh, and im hoping of getting to play him as a Spellstitched Necropolitan (Human)

Suggestiioooons? Keld Denar, you are a crazy master of optimi-fu helps :3

Ohh, and the reason im not fond of Mage slayer is.. -4 CL on spellstitched spells , aaaand i considered going = Insert spellcaster here + Mindbender and then Mindsight. . to be able to spot / counter invisible bastards and sneaky rogues.

Edit: Maybe focus on non-CL based spells with spellstiched and only take Mage Slayer after the two level dip for mindsight?

Andorax
2011-08-15, 04:19 PM
Use a garrotte?

Zale
2011-08-15, 04:24 PM
I favor the charging rhino offensive, myself.

Enough stampeding animals kills anything.

Psyren
2011-08-15, 04:47 PM
You could always lift Pathfinder defensive casting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic#TOC-Concentration), i.e. make it a caster level check instead of a skill check, and have the DC scale with spell level. You could even leave in the Concentration skill for everything else.

gibbo88
2011-08-15, 06:16 PM
I'm pretty sure one of the image slayer line of feats stops spellcasters from being able to cast defensively if you threaten them, so you get your AOO there.

Greenish
2011-08-15, 06:21 PM
I'm pretty sure one of the image slayer line of feats stops spellcasters from being able to cast defensively if you threaten them, so you get your AOO there.It's considered polite to read the original post when replying to a thread. :smalltongue:

Is there anyway other than Mage Slayer to counter/ruin defensive casting?(Bolding added.)

Vandicus
2011-08-15, 06:27 PM
I've heard it said that manyshot and greater manyshot have greater disruption power since all the damage is done within the standard action that can be readied to attack them with. I'm not exactly sure of the RAW of this because I don't often play archers and haven't ever used the manyshot line. My cursory reading of the concentration skill tells me that the concentration check would be equal to 10+damage done by being hit by a readied action(in this case manyshot or greater manyshot).