PDA

View Full Version : Idea for "Super Hero" Game

Paganboy28
2011-08-15, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

I have played MnM2 and now MnM3 for a while. I have an idea for a game using this system but would like some help putting it all into a coherent backstory.

My group were discussing the super hero genre and how would laws and society react to the presence of super heroes/villains. We came to no consensus and so the game was a non-starter.

So this brings me to my campaign idea. What if the players were the first and only super beings on Earth. I was going to use the late 1940's as a back drop and the players would be various characters at a press conference where they test the power of the new atomic age - the first attempt to split the atom. However something goes wrong and there is a radioactive surge of an unknown nature that causes some of those present to change.

I have ideas of what NPC's could be there. I was thinking of getting the players to create their "normal" selfs first, say PL2 and then give them extra points so they reach PL4 but with the proviso that the extra 2 level points must be spent on abilites or such, not on simply making their character advance (doesn't really make sense but i know what I mean).

We could then play out the laws coming into effect, how characters deal with the new powers and being super. Maybe some of those present go dark and become villains. Do their governments ask for their aid in the war?

Any other advice/tips/hints/etc?

What do you think?

GoatToucher
2011-08-15, 07:24 PM
I ran a game once wherein I had the players generate PL 3 policemen who were then present outside a lab/warehouse that exploded. I then gave them each a power suite that brought them up to PL8. In the days that followed, they could apply their new PP to expanding their powers or abilities as they saw fit.

Treblain
2011-08-15, 07:36 PM
People who'd be there: reporters, scientists, soldiers, politicians. In fact, those are actually pretty common superhero professions.

New laws for superpowered individuals would be fairly unlikely if only a small group at the experiment got powers. They might be conscripted into national service, but you'd need a larger, more uncontrolled population of superbeings to make specific laws and regulations necessary.

Now, if the empowering event was replicable, then that's another story. Suddenly the dirty Commies and the rogue military-industrial complex are making their own superbeings, and the good guys have to stop them.

Tengu_temp
2011-08-15, 07:36 PM
PL 4 is not a superhero, it's just a semi-competent street fighter. Cops are PL 3, soldiers are PL 5. The book suggests PL 6 for low-power heroes, and I recommend going with that.

I don't think if making characters as superpowered later is a good thing to do - they will only be normals for one session at most, after all. It's much better if they already make their superhero sheets in advance, together and under DM supervision.

Beleriphon
2011-08-15, 07:58 PM
My group were discussing the super hero genre and how would laws and society react to the presence of super heroes/villains. We came to no consensus and so the game was a non-starter.

www.lawandthemultiverse.com

Written by lawyers, about superheroes.