PDA

View Full Version : Hyborea!

breakdownjason
2011-08-15, 06:13 PM
So I'm attempting a homebrew of a conan-esque world and I'm currently working on the magic system. I want it to fit the theme that magic is VERY powerful in this world but also a bit limited in scope. I thought to do this I would write up completely new spells based on the 4 classic elements and limit the shaman (new class I've worked up) to only cast from one of the schools (s/he would get all the spells from that school ala Dread Necro). They'll each have a number of utility spells but specialize in certain other schools as well i.e. Fire focusing more on evocation. Any thoughts on how to make this work better? I've been working on it for a week and have really only statted up my casting class and first level spells for the fire and earth schools.

eftexar
2011-08-15, 06:26 PM
Could you post the class please, or at least an outline and some of the mechanics? I mean it sounds like it could work, but without looking at it...

breakdownjason
2011-08-15, 06:48 PM
I'm currently at work so I don't have my templates up and i just have a rough draft I did of the class in my Homebrew pad I keep with me for when inspiration strikes so I'll give you the basics right now and post a full stat block later on.

D6 HD (Im basing this off of PF)
BAB - As Cleric
Spell Progression - As Cleric
Saves-
Fort - Poor
Ref- Poor
Will - Good

1st Level
Totem/Totem Points - Acts as a Clerics Divine Focus, but can use a totem point to increase the save DC by one. Totem points available are level x ability modifier. Totem bonus goes up every 3 levels (4, 7, 10 etc.)
Attunement - Mechanical way to lock the shaman into a certain school of casting.
2nd Level - Elemental ability. Basically the Oracle classes mysteries re fluffed. Another becomes available every 3 levels from here (5, 8, 11) Currently working on a list which will be posted asap.
10th Level - Elemental Apotheosis. The shaman at this point starts to gain abilities of an elemental based on his attunement. Increases every 5 levels from this point until final at level 20. There are currently 4 dead levels but two of them have a new level of spellcasting.

eftexar
2011-08-15, 07:07 PM
Hm... Sounds Interesting, I'll check back later when you post the full class.

breakdownjason
2011-08-15, 07:14 PM
Ill Throw out a spell too. The setting is Very powerful magic (while limited) so keep that in mind and PEACH.

Fire Shield
Shaman 1
Casting Time - Standard Action
Range - Touch
Save - None, harmless (see text)
SR - Yes
Duration - 3 Rds/CL

The target of the spell becomes surrounded by a fiery nimbus. This provides Fire Resist 3, AC +1 and anyone that strikes the target of the spell with a melee attack must make a reflex save (DC 11+modifier) or take 1D4 points of fire damage.