PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapon Rend and other rend sources.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-15, 06:59 PM
Two Weapon Fighting is generally accepted to need outside sources of damage in order to be relevant. Sneak Attack is the usual source, but an alternate one is rend damage. Originally rend did automatic damage when two claw attacks land, and in the PHBII they printed a feat that allows rending once per round with weapons. This is a slightly useful source, but a much better one was posted in Tome of Battle (Girallon Windmill maunever and the weak Rending Claws class feature). My question are there any other sources of weapon rending in 3.5?

Saintheart
2011-08-16, 01:17 AM
MIC, Gloves of Rending. +2d6 rend damage about 3/day, when you hit with the second weapon.

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-16, 04:56 AM
There might be a potential for Totemist/PsyWar shenanigans with tons of natural attacks plus rending. Might be something to consider.

WinWin
2011-08-16, 05:43 AM
Black Blood Cultist covers natural weapon rending, particularly when Savage Grappple is obtained.

I think the majority of weapon rends have been listed.

Darrin
2011-08-16, 07:25 AM
Girallon Arms soulmeld bound to the arms chakra has something similar to rend, although it's not called that explicitly. If at least two claws hit the same opponent, you get double claw damage (including Str bonus). Kinda odd they didn't call it "rend" and give it a standard rend damage (2d6, etc.).

Also, same book: Spinemeld Warrior 5 gets rend when both spines hit.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-16, 08:24 AM
Sounds like the best way to get rend is either Girallon Arms with claw rend and then get as many claw attacks as possible, or play a Thri-Kreen Swordsage that uses multiweapon fighting and Girallon Windmill. The ape windmill does more damage, but you don't get it until later in the game.

Keld Denar
2011-08-16, 09:15 AM
Do note that most rend attacks can only be performed with claws. Two Weapon Rend, Girallon Windmill Fleshrip, and Gloves of Rending seem to be about the only sources of weapon rend. All other rend sources listed so far as natural weapon rends. It would be decently hard to combine the two with your hands full. You'd have to look for non-hand weapons like UAS, armor spikes, etc.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-16, 03:57 PM
I was thinking straight Thri-Kreen Swordsage with multiweapon fighting, and use the weapon rend systems.

Cieyrin
2011-08-16, 04:05 PM
I was thinking straight Thri-Kreen Swordsage with multiweapon fighting, and use the weapon rend systems.

Why Swordsage? That'll delay Multiweapon Fighting. Warblade has full BAB, access to Tiger Claw and a better recovery method.

Either way, make sure you use Gythkas! You have weapon familiarity with them and d10/d10 damage is quite nice.:smallbiggrin: Makes me wonder why there weren't any gythka thri-kreen in Iron Chef: Dervish, honestly...

Tvtyrant
2011-08-16, 09:36 PM
Why Swordsage? That'll delay Multiweapon Fighting. Warblade has full BAB, access to Tiger Claw and a better recovery method.

Either way, make sure you use Gythkas! You have weapon familiarity with them and d10/d10 damage is quite nice.:smallbiggrin: Makes me wonder why there weren't any gythka thri-kreen in Iron Chef: Dervish, honestly...

Well Swordsage allows a lot more maneuvers known, which means more Shadowhand to take advantage of the proliferation of limbs. I agree that its strictly worse for to hit, but rending doesn't come online until late in the game.

One issue I find with this build concept is that I could not afford four +5 weapons, so my to hit is going to collapse. Maybe take the divine prestige class and Cleric for the ability to boost BaB.

Cieyrin
2011-08-17, 12:44 PM
Well Swordsage allows a lot more maneuvers known, which means more Shadowhand to take advantage of the proliferation of limbs. I agree that its strictly worse for to hit, but rending doesn't come online until late in the game.

One issue I find with this build concept is that I could not afford four +5 weapons, so my to hit is going to collapse. Maybe take the divine prestige class and Cleric for the ability to boost BaB.

I wouldn't bother with enchanting the weapons to +5 if you have a resident wizard with Greater Magic Weapon in his spellbook. Fund him with some Pearls of Power (3rd level) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#pearlofPower) at around ECL 8 when his CL is high enough to do +2 and it'll scale with your party's power. A pair of +5/+5 Gythka will cost you 201,200 gp and whatever the cost of 2 gythkas is. A pair of +1/+1 Gythka and 3 3rd level Pearls of Power will cost you 36,200 and leave you room to enchant your gythka blades with special abilities, as well as leave you money in your budget for other things. The wizard will be playing with 4th level spells by then and have a bonus spell at 3rd level to spare that he shouldn't mind funding you with power so you can see if your enemies will blend. :smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2011-08-17, 07:21 PM
You should note that the primary benefit of Two Weapon Fighting (or the superior Multiweapon Fighting) is that it lets you trigger special abilities and effects more frequently. It's just too inefficient to keep up with Two Handed Fighting Power Attack or spells (or psionics, or soulmelds, or etc) in the damage dept. So instead of Rend, I suggest that you look at things that are triggered by attacks (which are thus improved when you get more attacks), such as ability damage, Save or Suck/Lose Effects, Grapple, etc.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-08-17, 07:50 PM
Claw Gloves from the Garb of the Hunting Cat set (MIC). They're considered punching daggers, and if you have at least two of the three pieces of the set you can rend with the gloves once per round for 3d6 damage. The cloak from that set gives you +1d6 damage in Sudden Strike conditions, i.e. Sneak Attack but not when you flank.

CelestialStick
2011-12-05, 04:53 AM
MIC, Gloves of Rending. +2d6 rend damage about 3/day, when you hit with the second weapon.

I just looked in the Magic Item Compendium and couldn't find gloves of rending. Can anyone tell me the page number? Thanks! :smallsmile:

CelestialStick
2011-12-05, 05:05 AM
I just looked in the Magic Item Compendium and couldn't find gloves of rending. Can anyone tell me the page number? Thanks! :smallsmile:

Ah I just found rending gauntlets on page 121. :smallwink:

Doorhandle
2011-12-05, 07:43 AM
For the pathfinder monks among us, there's Boar style and it's chain from ultimate combat. This allows you to do slashing, and then piercing damage with unarmed attacks, as well as giving you a rend if you hit with two of them, among with other things like free intimidate and bleed.

Also, you can get rending claws as a feat, and the Rending Fury chain, which not only halve the number of attacks you need to rend, but also eventually gives you more damage as well as bleed. Check 'em out. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatFeats.html)

The Underlord
2011-12-05, 08:45 AM
I believe there is a vestige that grants claws and rend. Don't recall which one though.

Amphetryon
2011-12-05, 09:12 AM
For completeness' sake, remember that Frostrager grants a rend attack as well.

CelestialStick
2011-12-05, 11:48 AM

Is that 3.5 or Pathfinder? :smallsmile:

CelestialStick
2011-12-05, 11:53 AM

Amphetryon
2011-12-05, 11:54 AM

3.5, from the Frostburn supplement.

CelestialStick
2011-12-05, 11:59 AM
3.5, from the Frostburn supplement.

Great! Someone just got me Frostburn for my birthday! So what is frostrager (or on what page can I find it)?

Cieyrin
2011-12-07, 02:19 PM
Great! Someone just got me Frostburn for my birthday! So what is frostrager (or on what page can I find it)?

It's a barbarian prestige class, so it's in the prestige class chapter, Chapter 3 or 4, I'd posit.

CelestialStick
2011-12-07, 11:56 PM
It's a barbarian prestige class, so it's in the prestige class chapter, Chapter 3 or 4, I'd posit.

Thanks, Cieyrin! I actually found it the other day but forgot to return and post it here. It's in Chapter 3 on pages 60-62. Thanks! :smallsmile:

dgnslyr
2011-12-08, 12:53 AM
I think it would be good to check the date. I knew there was something suspicious when I saw a previously viewed thread I didn't remember reading in the recent past.

darkdragoon
2011-12-08, 10:02 AM
There's also Great Rend for Shifters