PDA

View Full Version : "My Blade and I are of One Spirit" [3.5 Base Class][PEACH]

Amechra
2011-08-15, 10:46 PM
http://www.castastone.com/Cast-a-Stone_files/strega_files/blade2.JPG
The Soul Knight
I have seen you "warriors" with your weapons. They are not one with you; they are merely useless hunks of metal.
I have seen you "knights", playing around with your tin-pot armor on your enslaved horses; they are merely crutches.

I have no time for such toys.

HD: d10
Skills: 4+int skill points per level
Class Skills: Autohypnosis (Wis), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Martial Lore (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), and Swim (Str).

{table=head]{colsp=6}
The Soul Knight|{colsp=4}
Soul-Swathed Weapon
|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Features|1st|2nd|3rd|4th
1|+1|+2|+0|+2|Pseudonatural Weapon 1d8, Draw the Inner Blade|1|-|-|-
2|+2|+3|+0|+3|Armored Soul, Sharpened Mind|2|-|-|-
3|+3|+3|+1|+3|My Soul is my Blade (1)|2|-|-|-
4|+4|+4|+1|+4|Pseudonatural Weapon 2d8, Sharpened Mind|3|-|-|-
5|+5|+4|+1|+4|My Soul is my Blade (2)|3|-|-|-
6|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Sharpened Mind|3|1|-|-
7|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Pseudonatural Weapon 3d8, My Soul is my Blade (3)|3|1|-|-
8|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Sharpened Mind|3|2|-|-
9|+9/+4|+6|+3|+6|My Soul is my Blade (4)|3|2|-|-
10|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Pseudonatural Weapon 4d8, Sharpened Mind (Supernatural)|3|3|-|-
11|+11/+6/+1|+7|+3|+7|My Soul is my Blade (5)|3|3|1|-
12|+12/+7/+2|+8|+4|+8|Sharpened Mind|3|3|2|-
13|+13/+8/+3|+8|+4|+8|Pseudonatural Weapon 5d8, My Soul is my Blade (6)|3|3|2|-
14|+14/+9/+4|+9|+4|+9|Sharpened Mind|3|3|3|-
15|+15/+10/+5|+9|+5|+9|My Soul is my Blade (7)|3|3|3|-
16|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+5|+10|Pseudonatural Weapon 6d8, Sharpened Mind (Extraordinary)|3|3|3|1
17|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+10|My Soul is my Blade (8)|3|3|3|1
18|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+11|Sharpened Mind|3|3|3|2
19|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+11|Pseudonatural Weapon 7d8, My Soul is my Blade (9)|3|3|3|2
20|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+12|Weapon Paramount, Sharpened Mind|3|3|3|3[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Soul Knight is proficient in all simple and martial weapons. They are additionally proficient in all light and medium armors.

Draw the Inner Blade (Su): Inside all creatures, there is a deep well of confidence, that everything will fall into place in a fashion that they will be able to exploit. At 1st level, a Soul Knight gains the ability to draw strength and power from this deep reservoir.

"Drawing" the Inner Blade is a Swift action, and may be sustained for as long as the Soul Knight desires.

While the Inner Blade is "Drawn", the Soul Knight receives the following penalties and benefits:
-They are considered proficient with any weapon they wield, including improvised weaponry.
-They gain a +4 bonus against all fear effects and effects that would cause them to become fatigued. If the effect does not have a save, they may make a Will save against a DC of 10+1/2 Creature's Hit Dice+Creature's Charisma score to negate the effect.
-They may use their Charisma modifier instead of their Dexterity modifier when calculating initiative.
-They automatically fail all Disguise and Hide checks; their sheer self-confidence resonates subconsciously within creatures, causing their presence and identity to be felt acutely. As a side effect to this, any creature that has heard the Soul Knight's name before automatically knows that it belongs to them, even if they have never seen that Soul Knight before.

Additionally, they always carry some external sign of their Inner Blade's readiness; whether it is faint music playing on the edge of hearing for everyone who sees him, or the fact that their skin practically glows, there always is a sign. This manifestation may take practically any form, but, as always, the DM has the final saying on whether or not that effect fits with the tone and flavor of the game.

Sheathing the Blade is a Move action, as it is always harder to force the energy to return to whence it came. You may not Draw and Sheathe the Inner Blade on the same round.

Pseudonatural Weapon (Su): The Inner Blade is not just a metaphor; it has, to tell the truth, a physical manifestation. This manifestation, known as a Pseudonatural Weapon, is a sign of a Soul Knight's very self-expression as a warrior.

The Pseudonatural Weapon is only active while the Soul Knight has their Inner Blade drawn; while it is Drawn, any weapon that the Soul Knight is wielding is wreathed in some physical manifestation that shows that the Pseudonatural Weapon is present as well.

The Pseudonatural Weapon is treated as either a manufactured weapon or a force effect, whichever would be better in that situation; additionally, the Pseudonatural Weapon uses the damage listed above, or the weapon's base damage, whichever would be higher. It also inherits whatever enhancements that the base weapon may have.

While the Pseudonatural Weapon is active, the Soul Knight has access to the abilities bound within their Soul-Swathed Weapon; they have access to all Soul-Swathes of any level they can use, but they may only use a number of them up to the amount listed on the above table; changing which Soul Swathes are in use requires an hour of calm meditation. If their Enshrouding Level is higher than their Soul Knight class level, they may treat their Enshrouding level as if it were their class level for the purpose of which levels of, and how many of each level, Soul Swathes they may access.

The damage dice for a Soul Knight's Pseudonatural Weapon count as sneak attack dice for the purpose of qualifying for prestige classes and feats. Whenever a feat or prestige class would increase sneak attack damage, the Soul Knight instead increase their Pseudonatural Weapon damage by either 1d4 (if the increase is a 1d6), or by 3/4s the amount (if it would be a static increase, such as Craven.)

Armored Soul (Su): While a Soul Knight may use armor, they find that sometimes it is their sheer confidence that better steels you against attack.

While the Inner Blade is drawn, a Soul Knight may use their Charisma modifier towards their AC, in place of their Dexterity modifier; they still lose this bonus if they are Flat-footed, however.

In addition, half of their Dodge bonus to armor class applies even if they are flatfooted, and half of their Armor and Shield bonuses apply against touch attacks.

Finally, they gain their Charisma Modifier as a Morale bonus to all saving throws, up to an amount equal to half of their Soul Knight level.

Sharpened Mind (Sp): Gone are the days that a warrior could make do with only their trusty weapon; as such, a Soul Knight must, by necessity, broaden their horizons.

At 2nd level, and every even level thereafter, a Soul Knight gains a single Cantrip, Orison, or Fundamental of their choice as a spell-like ability at will; the caster level for these spell-like abilities is equal to the Soul Knight's Enshrouding Level.

After 10th level, all spell-like abilities gained through Sharpened Mind are treated as if they were Supernatural abilities whenever it would be advantageous to do so; at 16th level, all spell-like abilities gained through Sharpened Mind are treated as if they were Extraordinary abilities whenever it would be advantageous to do so.

This ability may be used to qualify for any feat or prestige class that requires the ability to either cast a number of cantrips/orisons/fundamentals, know a number of cantrips/orisons/fundamentals, or being able to use a specific cantrip/orison/fundamental.

My Soul is my Blade (Ex): A Warrior is nothing if he cannot depend on his weapon; of course, the inner flow of confidence unlocked by Drawing one's Inner Blade can unlock potential, even while that Blade is sheathed.

A Soul Knight of at least 3rd level cannot roll a number below 2 for attack rolls; if they would ever roll below a 2, that number is treated as if it were a 2 instead for all purposes.

At 5th level, and every 2 levels thereafter, the minimum attack roll for a Soul Knight increases by 1 (so it would be 3 at 5th level, 4 at 7th level, 5 at 9th level, and so on and so forth.)

Weapon Paramount (Ex): A Soul Knight eventually gains such great control over their Inner Blade that it practically becomes an extension of their willpower.

At 20th level, all of the Soul Knight's abilities that require that they have their Inner Blade Drawn to function function continuously as extraordinary abilities; in addition, whenever they actually draw their Inner Blade, they may select which of the bonuses/penalties they are affected by.

Soul-Swathe List
1st level: Keen Edge (Increase Crit Range by 1)
Swift Striking (Gain an extra attack)
Ear-Shaking Ring (Silence effect in a radius around the Soul Knight)
Purity of Wrath (Gain meager Fast Healing.)
MORE COMING
2nd level:
3rd level:
4th level:

Multiclassing
When a Soul Knight multiclasses, one of the following occurs:

-Any prestige class level that explicitly increases Enshrouding Level increases it by 1.

-Any Prestige class level that does not increase Enshrouding Level at all, but increases Meldshaping or Shadowcasting, increases their Enshrouding level by 2/3.

-Any other level increases their Enshrouding Level by 1/3.

Size and Pseudonatural Weapon
The damage listed for the Pseudonatural Weapon is listed for a medium-sized creature; follow the normal rules for damage dice due to size.

Notes
Hehe, this is going to be FUN! If you want to know the source of this, the Inner Blade idea comes from an (unfinished) book named Arthur's Head, that is still floating around on the 'net somewhere. I didn't write it, and in fact can't find it at the moment (might have been taken down).

So if you can find Arthur's Head for me, I would be greatly enthused. You'll know if you find the right book if it is on a website that also has a story about the Graily Hole, and if one of the story includes a section on Wuesday (the day between Tuesday and Wednesday.)

This will be a melee warrior, who, after I'm done, will be able to take care of himself on the battlefield; in other words, this guy will be a Gish par excellance (I hope)

Amechra
2011-08-15, 10:47 PM
Soul-Swath Name
Description
Level:
Range:
Target:
Save:

Eye-Blink Strike
You can strike between moments, bisecting the world into the past and the future
Level: 2nd
Range: Melee
Save: No

You may make a single attack as an immediate action. This attack may interrupt another creature's action.

Laughing Step Stance
You do not accept the facts that most other people take for true; that there is a "down", for example
Level: 1st
Range: Personal
Target: You

You are treated as though you are constantly under the effects of a Balancing Lorecall spell (SpComp)

Tears Empty of Sadness
As you strike, the very weapons of your enemies weep to see your prowess.
Level: 3rd
Activation: Attack action.
Range: 15' Burst

All objects within range are affected as though by a Shatter spell.

Amechra
2011-08-16, 10:52 AM
You may begin posting and PEACHing, if you like (please please please, someone do so. It would make me HAPPY!)

Garryl
2011-08-16, 11:47 AM
Just saw the link to this from the tables-in-tables discussion. You say you never get PEACHes? Well, let me take a look.

"The Soul Knight" should extend across the first column as well. It just looks ugly with that gap. And the sub-heading (BaB, saves, Class Features, swathed weapon levels, etc.) should be bolded or something to make them stand out form the table proper. You should also include a "Level" sub-header in the first column to make it more clear.

Oh, wait, you meant about the class itself, not the table? Give me a minute.

Draw the Inner Blade: When you say that drawing the inner blade is a swift action, you may wish to put "drawing" in quotation marks or otherwise indicate that you are not drawing a physical object but rather entering an enhanced mental state, and thus that this has no relation to the normal usages of drawing, such as drawing a weapon.

The granting of proficiencies feels like clunky wording to me (it gets its point across, but it seems like it could be cleaner). Maybe "The Soul Knight is considered proficient with any weapon he or she wields, including improvised weaponry."

Ditto for the saves against fear/fatigue. Just give a +4 bonus against fear effects and effects that would cause fatigue rather than talking about targeting (some effects don't have targets, which would cause rules confusion about whether this applies). You might also want to have it apply to other checks to avoid fatigue, and possibly also against exhaustion. Also, what does the extra save against save-less effects actually do? Negate the effect? Negate the fatigue or fear conditions?

Using Charisma instead of Dexterity may lower initiative for characters with higher Dex than Cha.

Pseudonatural Weapon: Alternating between d6s and d8s results in a strange and uneven damage progression (see below). The lack of scaling with size also gives larger Soul Knights a comparative disadvantage, and smaller ones a comparative advantage, while also impeding the common combat tricks of increasing size for greater damage.

{table=head]Level|Damage|Increase from previous
1|1d6|N/A
4|1d8|+1
7|2d6|+2.5
10|2d8|+2
13|3d6|+1.5
16|3d8|+3
19|4d6|+0.5[/table]

Armored Soul: I don't have much sheer confidence. Does this mean that Soul Knights aren't very steeled against attack? (You switch from 3rd person to 2nd person here.)

You should mention that this ability isn't granted until 2nd level, like you do for all other abilities. Once again, low Cha/high Dex Soul Knights get shafted whether they like it or not. You might want to clarify the wording to indicate exactly which ways the Cha-in-place-of-Dex functions like normal Dex to AC (including, but not limited to, interactions with Max Dex bonuses and being denied Dex to AC). A simple way would be "While a Soul Knight's Inner Blade is Drawn, she may use her Charisma modifier in place of her Dexterity modifier when calculating her Armor Class. This otherwise functions as normal for adding the Soul Knight's Dexterity modifier to her Armor Class, such as interaction with her armor's maximum Dexterity bonus and being lost when she would otherwise be denied her Dexterity modifier to her Armor Class."

Turning half the character's Dodge, Armor, and Shield bonuses into Deflection is a bad thing. They are still from different sources, and thus won't stack. Further, Dodge bonuses normally stack with each other, but as Deflection bonuses, they won't. Try instead having half the character's Dodge bonuses to AC still apply while she would normally be denied Dex to AC, and half the character's Armor and Shield bonuses to AC apply against touch attacks.

Charisma to saves is a nice touch, and limiting it to half the Soul Knight level prevents giving everything for a small dip. Good.

Sharpened Mind: Replace your letter 'x's with word "a"s. (ie: "cast a number of... know a number of...) It's easier to read that way. Also, the table lists "Pseudonatural" at 16th level rather than Extraordinary.

Anyways, everything else looks good. I look forward to seeing the Soul-Swathes and what they add to the class.

Amechra
2011-08-16, 11:55 AM
Alright, I'll fix it.

I wrote down Pseudonatural because they aren't exactly extraordinary; they are also spell-like abilities when it would be advantageous.

I'll change that to Extraordinary.

The changes to wording are excellent. This is another class I wrote at 1:05 in the morning, and so my grammar and memory of the rules suffered. My apologies.

Garryl
2011-08-16, 01:43 PM
It's cool. You might also want to let manifesting PrCs give a 2/3 Enshrouding level increase, since this class is closely tied to mental strength and force of will (it even has Autohypnosis).

Amechra
2011-08-16, 02:24 PM
Sounds good.

A little bit of background on Sharpened Mind; I originally was brainstorming along the lines of "alright, a non-Spellcaster needs some stuff to do out of combat..." and then it hit me that Cantrips/Orisons/Fundamentals are low power and awesome ways to distinguish your Soul Knight from the pack; I have fond memories of playing a Cultist (from the Descent of Shadows project) with Question Shadow as my first level fundamental (yay being the creepy guy that talks to people's shadows!)

Garryl
2011-08-16, 02:50 PM
Just remember that "any orison" also includes Cure Minor Wounds. Some people get a little squeamish about unlimited out of combat healing. Guidance is also a solid pick, giving an effective +1 to all out of combat skill checks for you and your party, and maybe the first attack or save in combat.

Amechra
2011-08-16, 03:21 PM
Then again, infinite out of combat healing is already available (thank you, Dread Necromancer). I'm not taking it out, though, as always, a squeamish DM can Rule 0 it away.

Still, think of all the fun stuff you can do! Yay, Prestidigitation at will!

eftexar
2011-08-16, 06:21 PM
Hm... Well, everything seems balanced so far.
The bonus from My Soul is my Blade might be bit steep, but, depending on the bonuses granted by soul-swathes, that might not be a problem.
And what is enshrouding level? Is that something like how spellcasters have a casting level?

Amechra
2011-08-16, 07:31 PM
Yes, Enshrouding Level is essentially Caster Level.

My Soul is My Blade is strong, but it doesn't really add more power; it more results in elimination of failure. It is actually on the sum total weaker than an actual bonus to hit.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 10:40 PM
3 Soul-Swathes are up! Of 1st (Laughing Step Stance), 2nd (Eye-Blink Strike), and 3rd (Tears Empty of Sadness) levels respectively.

Next up: A couple of 1sts (Swordsmen Need No Blades will be among them.)

I like Exalted-style names, really.

eftexar
2011-08-17, 11:42 PM
A question about Eye-Blink Strike. What do you mean by interrupting? Does it automatically end the attackers sequence? If so this is immensely powerful (especially for a level or rank 2 effect). If that is how it works I would suggest allowing a save or a check. Or does it simply mean you can attack in the middle of their action?