PDA

View Full Version : picking feats for a church inquisitor

big teej
2011-08-15, 11:06 PM
greetings all, I'm rolling up a church inquisitor (Defenders of the Faith Page 51)

and I'm stuck on picking feats.... I've not a clue.

I'm considering going with my old "stand-by" choices

Quick Draw
Improved Initiative
Earth Sense
Extra Smiting

his domains are Destruction, War, and Inquisition.

sources available
Masters of the Wild
Sword and Fist
Tome and Blood
Tome and Blood
Enemies and Allies
Song and Silence
Defender's of the Faith
Unearthed Arcana
Book of Vile Darkness
Cityscape
Magic of Incarnum
Dungeon Master's Guide
Dungeon Master's Guide II
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Monster Manual III
Player's Handbook
Player's Handbook II
Book of Exalted Deeds
Psionics handbook
Oriental Adventures
Races of Stone
Deities and Demigods
Arms and Equipment Guide

banned sources: anything not EXPLICITLY listed above.

thoughts?

EDIT: nobody has any suggestions on what feats a church-inquisitor should take?

DoughGuy
2011-08-16, 12:54 AM
Law Devotion

big teej
2011-08-16, 01:42 AM
Law Devotion

that's not ringing any bells.... what book is it out of?

Saintheart
2011-08-16, 02:00 AM
that's not ringing any bells.... what book is it out of?

Complete Champion. Although you'd have to alter your domains to get it. Church Inquisitor is basically cleric +0.5, so pretty well most of the standard cleric tricks will work with a CI. Most people dip Inquisitor for the Inquisition domain, honestly, and then move on with an eye to Dweomerkeeper.

Since by your book list Complete Champion's out, then Defenders of the Faith is probably your biggest source of feats. Divine Metamagic and so on. I notice Extra Smiting: if you're intending to get by without DMM cheese at all and you want some extra stuff for that, consider the Cleric ACF out of PHB II (or it might be UA, actually) which trades out turning undead for a smite evil ability.

Other than that, what levels, what concept are you going for?

big teej
2011-08-16, 11:56 AM
Since by your book list Complete Champion's out, then Defenders of the Faith is probably your biggest source of feats. Divine Metamagic and so on. I notice Extra Smiting: if you're intending to get by without DMM cheese at all and you want some extra stuff for that, consider the Cleric ACF out of PHB II (or it might be UA, actually) which trades out turning undead for a smite evil ability.

Other than that, what levels, what concept are you going for?

well, typically my characters never enter a prestiege class unless I create them in one from scratch (meaning 6th level or so)

so, having read the church inquisitor stuff, an idea sprang to mind.

I'm kinda going for this no-nonsense, warhammer 40k Gregor Eisenhorn/Commodus Voke/sigmarite witch-hunter feel.

I don't consider feats to important to the concept or his effectiveness (I'm playing a tier 1 caster in a group with almost no optimization)

but I did want the feats to fit in there someway... I always have trouble picking feats for clerics :smalltongue:

that help flesh out the concept any?

mechanically, I intend to focus mostly on supporting certain aspects of his personality. I.E. he's highly suspicious of people around him, so he typically has zone of truth prepared once or twice every day. he's also constantly prepared to face incarnations of evil I.E. undead, fiends, etc. so the smite and turn undead abilities are pretty solid as well.... I think.

Saintheart
2011-08-16, 08:41 PM
Not really sure what else to offer (AFB) but Prestige Paladin springs to mind as a class? I think it's UA or PHB II...

Greenish
2011-08-16, 09:16 PM
Not really sure what else to offer (AFB) but Prestige Paladin springs to mind as a class? I think it's UA or PHB II...It's UA, and thus not on the list. Besides, it's not a feat. :smallamused:

big teej
2011-08-16, 09:23 PM
It's UA, and thus not on the list. Besides, it's not a feat. :smallamused:

oopsies..... I have Unearthed Arcana... but now I'm wondering where it is since it's not in front of me. :smalltongue: