PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Rossebay
2011-08-16, 12:18 AM
So, I have a wizard. I'm avoiding cheese with him, so nothing to worry about there. Generalist Wizard, which is nice. He's easily the most powerful character the party has on them, and I've used him as a character that helps the rest of the party function, but I want him to take up a more focused and noticeable role right now.

So, my question is, where do I take him? What should I do?

gorfnab
2011-08-16, 12:36 AM
What is your build so far (class, race, feats, spells, etc.)? What books do you have available? How much GP do you to spend? What gear do you have?

Zaq
2011-08-16, 12:40 AM
What gorfnab said, with one addition . . . what's the rest of the party like?

Rossebay
2011-08-16, 12:43 AM
My build... Uhh, sort of open right now.

Feats that are staying:
Able Learner, Weapon Finesse, Dreadful Wrath, Element Switch (Acid), Empower Spell. That leaves 3 open.

I can take really any alternative class features up until now, along with PrC's for a level, 2 at most.
Scores are 12, 18, 16, 20, 12, 18 after magic items have been taken into account.

So, really, Wizard 6/___2, 3 open feats, skills basically open.

Edit: THE REST OF THE PARTY!

A Rogue/Assassin/Swordsage mix.
A Knight.
A Cleric.
A Scout.

0nimaru
2011-08-16, 12:45 AM
So, I have a wizard. I'm avoiding cheese with him, so nothing to worry about there. Generalist Wizard, which is nice. He's easily the most powerful character the party has on them, and I've used him as a character that helps the rest of the party function, but I want him to take up a more focused and noticeable role right now.

So, my question is, where do I take him? What should I do?

I bolded the bit that pops out at me. What is currently happening that you aren't enjoying?

Rossebay
2011-08-16, 12:49 AM
I bolded the bit that pops out at me. What is currently happening that you aren't enjoying?

I enjoy facilitating the party, but... It's not very well defined. There's a lot of versatility with little definition. I feel like a library of spells, but I don't really have a purpose in combat, I guess.

Big Fau
2011-08-16, 12:55 AM
I enjoy facilitating the party, but... It's not very well defined. There's a lot of versatility with little definition. I feel like a library of spells, but I don't really have a purpose in combat, I guess.

A Wizard has only one job during combat: Play GOD. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=394.0)

Use the buffing option, it tends to not completely trivialize the encounters.

gorfnab
2011-08-16, 01:02 AM
If you're looking to be more of a face/cheerleader for the party, with that decent of a Cha, I would almost suggestion Wiz 6/ Human Paragon 3/ Prestige Bard 1/ Virtuoso 10 (your casting will be diminished a bit). Otherwise with some minor tweaking Wiz 5/ Paragnostic Apostle 1/ Urban Savant 10/ Paragnostic Apostle 4 if you want to play more of God/ secondary face (through skills and the Urban Empathy ability) type character.

Rossebay
2011-08-16, 01:58 AM
Uhh...

Any ways to summon something, bind it to you, and use its power for combat?

gorfnab
2011-08-16, 02:05 AM
Uhh...

This should do it: Mastering the Malconvoker (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=289.0)

Greymane
2011-08-16, 02:05 AM
Uhh...

Er... There's Fiend Binder from Tome of Magic. It's not terrible, but you end up losing a few caster levels and have to spend skill points in Truenaming. Which is typically seen as verywrongbadno. You get to keep the demons/devils you bind around permenantly, but it costs your Standard action to order them around.

The upside is that you get a harem of succubi as a class feature.

Unless you mean have a demon possess you and you use their powers as your own? Demon possession is outlined a bit in BoVD but I don't remember how much of their abilities they keep while doing it.

Edit: And gorfnab offers a potentially superior option.

Rossebay
2011-08-16, 02:18 AM
Er... There's Fiend Binder from Tome of Magic. It's not terrible, but you end up losing a few caster levels and have to spend skill points in Truenaming. Which is typically seen as verywrongbadno. You get to keep the demons/devils you bind around permenantly, but it costs your Standard action to order them around.

The upside is that you get a harem of succubi as a class feature.

Unless you mean have a demon possess you and you use their powers as your own? Demon possession is outlined a bit in BoVD but I don't remember how much of their abilities they keep while doing it.

Edit: And gorfnab offers a potentially superior option.

Sort of like that. Like, "Oh, hey there Mr. Balor." And then you snatch him up and get claws, wings, and a fire whip. Something to that effect.

0nimaru
2011-08-16, 02:23 AM
Incarnum perhaps? But that is in a backwards direction with where you are currently.

You can always just look up new and interesting polymorph forms, but this may enrage your DM as you destroy encounters with forms PCs weren't meant to take.

NNescio
2011-08-16, 02:24 AM
Uhh...

Fiend of Possession?

Mind you, it does smell strongly of Gruyère.

Incidentally, are you perchance a fan of Megaten*?

(Megami Tensei, with Persona being part of the series)

Rossebay
2011-08-16, 02:24 AM
Incarnum perhaps? But that is in a backwards direction with where you are currently.

You can always just look up new and interesting polymorph forms, but this may enrage your DM as you destroy encounters with forms PCs weren't meant to take.

Yeah... I'm doing my best to avoid cheese there. :\

Fiend of Possession? Book?

And, I've heard of it, but... Why? Can they do such things? Summon something, meld with it, and fight?

NNescio
2011-08-16, 02:27 AM

It's a PrC from the Fiend Folio. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7518.0) The PrC goes on the demon you want to bind, not you.

Greymane
2011-08-16, 02:28 AM

The back of the Fiend Folio (no page number, AFB).

Warning: The use of this PrC has a known side effect of flying DMGs that home in on your cranium.

Edit: Swordsage'd!

NNescio
2011-08-16, 02:33 AM
The back of the Fiend Folio (no page number, AFB).

Warning: The use of this PrC has a known side effect of flying DMGs that home in on your cranium.

Edit: Swordsage'd!

Page 204, IIRC.

Rossebay
2011-08-16, 02:43 AM
I'm a bit confused by all of this. What sorts of abilities does it bestow?