PDA

View Full Version : The Bigger They Are, The Harder They Fall IC

Cogidubnus
2011-08-16, 02:52 AM
You have each been chosen to receive a special invitation.

The envelope is made of good-quality parchment, sealed with the symbol of House Deneith and stamped with the safe-delivery symbol of House Sivis. It is addressed to each individual by name and epithets.

My name is Xantippus d'Deneith, Sentinel Marshall and scion of House Deneith. It has come to my attention that a dangerous new weapon may have been smuggled into Sharn to be used by the city's criminal gangs. I strongly believe that the recipient of this invitation would be as troubled by this as I, and as such invite them to join me to discuss this problem over dinner, at the Celestial Vista restaurant in Skyway, at 8pm tonight. Please, come dressed for dinner, you are in no danger.

The seal of the Sentinel Marshalls, the silhouette of a tower from the top of which look out the heads of a lion, a dragon and a ram, from left to right, is placed next to the flowing signature at the bottom of the invitation.

None of you can resist at least seeing what it's about, so you all head to Skyway. The sights astound even those of you who have lived outside Sharn and so are aware that there is more to the world than rain and dense tower blocks. The weather is, for once, pleasant, the evening sun shining in through Celestial Vista's glass western wall, bathing the whole restaurant in gold. Huge white clouds drift past just above the roof, looking almost close enough to touch. Below you, the towers of Sharn, separated by great fissures which rapidly fade into blackness now the sun can no longer reach past the lower towers, spread out, giving way eventually to the great plains on one side, and the roaring river leading up to the mountains on the other.

Please describe what you arrive at the restaurant wearing, equipped with and carrying.

Moranica
2011-08-16, 11:51 AM
His face looks tired and old, with only the glint in his eyes and smooth movement referring to his actual age. His build is that of any fit and hard-working elf, slender, agile, and confidence in his step. He wears grey clothes and cape, which, while simple, give him an elegant and very decent look. His nice looking headband keeps back his long grey hair, preventing it from covering his grey eyes.

He wears:
Headband of intelligence
Cloak of Elvenkind
Boots of Elvenkind
Tunic of steady spellcasting
Bag of holding, which contains the rest of his stuff. Including his armor, sword and bow.

Greenish
2011-08-16, 12:34 PM
Thalaes is clothed from head to toes in loose silk robes in reds and dark browns, the colours of dried blood. His hands and feet are encased in gauntlets and boots of steel-reinforced leather, and occasionally engraved mithral armour can be glimpsed from beneath the silk. On his head rests a silk-covered mithral helm, with platinum, gem-encrusted Zaelshin Tu, the relic of his patron ancestor, affixed to the forehead. From his neck, a miniature double scimitar of Valenar hungs in miniature sheath. He carries no weapons, but from his posture and his muscled frame it is obvious he usually does.

Hideaway weapon twists up to really small, and sacred scabbard resizes to fit any weapon, hence necklace. :smalltongue:

He has left everything mentioned on the sheet below handy haversack, except identification papers, in the sack at his room in the inn he's patronizing.

Zarthrax
2011-08-16, 06:05 PM
The slightly pudgy figure who is the last to arrive wears a dark greatcoat upon which the sigil of House Cannith is worked in glittering black. It is arranged in such a way that the tips of the gorgon's horns glitter at both of the places next to his neck where others would normally wear a cape of some sort. He removes the battered hat that shielded him from the tower spit on the way up and keeps it in his hand.

His black hair is close cropped, and the stubble on his cheeks is evidence of the fact that this is a man who doesn't care about his own appearance much. His eyes travel the room, noting various figures here and there, before he takes note of the two elves, one obviously from Valenar by his dress, the other a bit harder to immediately place. He keeps looking out over the rest of the restaurant, just taking in the crowd.

Those who look for them sees that he wears two rings. The one on his left index finger is obviously an arcane signet, a gift from Baron Merrix d'Cannith, while the other hand's ring finger bears a plain band of some white metal.

He awaits the maitre d' patiently, curious as to the events that would send a Deneith scrambling for help from a Cannith, even one as out of touch as himself.

Tannis never goes anywhere unarmed.

His greatcoat is the aforementioned Battlecloak of Vycaena with a different flavor text. The two horn tips are the brooches that act as Gloves of Storing. One holds his icewand, Sinister. The other holds his identification papers. The hat has only sentimental value. His wandgun is left at home this evening, due to needing to replace the ammunition in it.

Cogidubnus
2011-08-17, 02:54 AM
A man approaches you. He has cropped brown hair, glinting grey eyes, and is wearing a smart blue and green brocade suit, although it has clearly been used before. His left breast bears the badge of House Deneith. He grins to see the three of you.

"I am so glad to see you all came. I am Xantippus d'Deneith." He looks Thalaes up and down. ""You have come dressed for an ambush my friend, not for dinner. Oh well, you still look smart enough to get in, at least when I've booked. Come, our table is over here, take a seat. I took the liberty of ordering the wine for us. Do you all drink wine? They have some fantastic vintages here."

Greenish
2011-08-17, 04:31 AM
Thalaen gives a small shrug and smiles. "Valenar do not dress for ambush. We don't have to, given the way we dress for dinner."

Thalaen glances at the Cannith and the other elf. "And more important than the wine is who you are drinking it with. Will you not introduce us?"

Cogidubnus
2011-08-17, 06:52 AM
Xantippus smiles at this response, and pats the shortsword at his side. You notice the wooden pommel is bound round with silver.

'I do not think any of us has come totally defenceless, my friend. I apologise for not introducing you, though I might dispute that anything is more important than the wine. Thalaen of the Valenari, allow me to introduce Thalaes d'Phiarlan, Inquisitive, and Tannis d'Cannith, inventor. Both will, I think, be extremely helpful if they agree to join us.'

He sits you all down as he speaks, pours you each a glass of fine red wine, and indicates to a waiter to serve.

Moranica
2011-08-17, 07:08 AM
"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Aer'rae, usually working as an inquisitive for House Phiarlan. While they would be interested to hear about this weapon as well, I chose to come here on my own account. I have heard rumors about a weapon such as you wrote about, but no solid evidence or even a clue which points in a certain direction. So discussing it with you would be very interesting, indeed. However, it also made me wonder, why you would want to discuss such a matter with complete strangers, such as me."

Greenish
2011-08-17, 07:26 AM
Thalaen raises an eyebrow when Xantippus refers to "us" but lets it pass.

He gives a curt bow at the others. "May your enemies be great, and your victories be greater."

The elf then sits down, sets his helmet on the table and takes a gulp of the wine.

Cogidubnus
2011-08-17, 09:09 AM
Xantippus raises his glass in acknowledgement of Thalaen's toast.

"Maybe I should explain. Last week, a serious political rival to Ilyra Boromar's Council Seat from Lower Dura was assassinated. The Watch are not investigating it, being too heavily-bribed by Clan Boromar. What makes it interesting is the way the mark was killed. Eye-witnesses reported hearing a loud crack, as though from a magical explosion, and the target collapsed, bleeding from just above the heart. No arrow could be found, but closer inspection of the wound revealed a small lead ball, similar to a slign bullet, lodged within. So you begin to see why I requested help from people with skills such as yours. An inquisitive to hasten my investigation along, a Cannith inventor for help identifying the weapon, and a Valenar elf to help me when the Boromar decide we are getting too close and try to silence us."

While Xantippus has been talking, the starter has been served, a cold fish salad, and he has made a good job of clearing his plate, cheerfully drinking his wine at the same time.

Greenish
2011-08-17, 09:37 AM
Thalaen has listened politely to Xantippus' explanation while finishing his salad, and is now swishing the rest of the wine in his glass while thinking aloud. "Boromar. They have a reputation even I have heard of. May yet to prove to be worthy adversaries."

"And what are, how do you say, the financial prospects related to discovering this 'thunder sling'?"

While discussing, Thalaen also keeps an eye out for eavesdroppers.

[roll0] to see anyone loitering about in eavesdropping distance.

[roll1] to notice if the waiters seem to be too interested in following the discussion.

Also, 30' blindsense, if there's anything invisible/hiding in that distance.

Cogidubnus
2011-08-17, 10:10 AM
"House Deneith have promised me a bounty if I can recover this weapon for them. They do not, however, believe it to be the only one of its kind, so there is a far greater reward for confiscating the supply of these illegally imported weapons and returning them safely to Sentinel Tower. We may also be the target of attempted murder by several successful assassins, or at least muggers, and there is a law in Sharn that those killed or subdued by an officer of the law in self-defence forfeit their possessions at the time of the assault to him.

And with me, you are all officers of the law, far more so than the corrupt Watchmen who fill this city."

Moranica
2011-08-17, 10:33 AM
After having finally taken a bite of his food and a sip of wine, Aer'rae says:

"I see, well, you did gather an interesting group indeed. I have more questions though. Who did the autopsy and the investigation of the scene? I presume everything is still as it was? This, I will need to inspect for myself. The slingbullet is also vital for the start of the investigation. Have you perhaps brought it with you?"

Another bite and sip.

"As a side note, how secretive is this?"

Knowledge local on Ilyra Boromar [roll0]
Knowledge historical on Boromar clan [roll1]
Knowledge local on 'thunder sling' [roll2]
Knowledge historical on 'thunder sling' [roll3]
Knowledge arcane on 'thunder sling' [roll4]
Knowledge planes on 'thunder sling' [roll5]

Greenish
2011-08-17, 10:50 AM
"The hunt is on, then." Thalaen taps his helmet absentmindedly. "But why are these weapons so important? A longbow kills a man dead, as often as not."

Cogidubnus
2011-08-17, 01:36 PM
"Often as not, precisely. This man was dead in moments. I believe that level of efficiency can be repeated time and time again as no one would bother to start using a new, conspicious weapon if it did not promise some kind of advantage over old ones. And if Clan Boromar are behind it...imagine the largest criminal group in Sharn, all armed with weapons more deadly than anything seen before. They would be in complete control of the streets within weeks.

The scene has, sadly, been trampled over by both fleeing crowds and the Watch, but we should indeed look at it before continuing. I was hoping our best lead would be the assassin, but nobody saw his face, only a man in a black hood fleeing carrying a long pole.

And I would appreciate it if you did not spread what we learn around. The assassination is public knowledge, but there is no need to tell our potential enemies that we are hunting them."

Moranica:

You have never heard mention of anything like this "thunder sling" before.
You know Ilyra Boromar is the Boromar Clan’s personal representative on the Council. She reports directly to Saidan Boromar, and she has the authority to make executive decisions on behalf of the clan. Her allegiance is obvious, but the other council members generally politely overlook it; the Boromars are one of the Sixty families of Sharn, and she does have the skills, credentials, and lineage to compete with any of the other councilors. Of all of the members of the council, Ilyra is the most ruthless and dangerous. The Boromar Clan prefers to avoid violence, but councilors who oppose Ilyra have disappeared in the past. However, the recent war with Daask has shaken her grip on the council.
The Boromar Clan used to be the only criminal group in Sharn, and is still the largest. It runs protection rackets, extortion, brothels, some thefts and all the major smuggling rings. More recently it has had trouble with a war with Daask, a largely monstrous criminal group who have risen to oppose Boromar. It is no longer seen as an infallible, omnipotent force, but is very powerful.

Zarthrax
2011-08-17, 03:18 PM
Tannis nods at the two elves as the introductions are made.

Over dinner, he waves away the wine and sticks to water as he listens to the proposal of the Deneith.

Finally, after a sip of water, he raises his voice for the first time.

"So, while that explains the monetary compensation, I can make that just off my normal commission from adventurers. What else are you offering?"

Cogidubnus
2011-08-17, 03:23 PM
Xantippus sighs, and mumbles almost under his breath "Why does no one want to do things purely to prevent crime in this city?"

More loudly, he says,
"How about a chance to examine this new weapon, Tannis. Obviously, Sentinel Tower will want to maintain control of the larger number of them once they are acquired, but I am sure we would be forgiven for requisitioning a few samples to help with our investigation.
Plus, aren't you just interested to find out what this thing is?"

Zarthrax
2011-08-17, 03:41 PM
Tannis considers Xantippus' words for a moment, then tilts his head.

"Very well. If I am guaranteed three samples of said weaponry and an equal share of any salvage, and the weaponry is as impressive as you claim, then I'm in."

He sips water again.

"Besides, if it is indeed as impressive as the results show, I want to know how it's made."

Cogidubnus
2011-08-17, 03:53 PM
As the main course is served, confit du canard, a duck preserved in fat and then slow-cooked so it is surrounded by crisped fat, the meat sliding easily off the bone, Xantippus continues "Frankly, I suspect someone with ties to House Cannith, possibly a rogue Artificer, must be involved if the quality is as high as I believe. That is another reason I requested your involvement - you can help if there is indeed trouble with Cannith." By this point, the Sentinel is most of the way through his second glass of wine and is happily demolishing his duck as well.

Zarthrax
2011-08-17, 04:56 PM
Tannis takes his fork in hand and starts demolishing his duck as well.

"If that's the case, then I can certainly take care of that niggling detail. A rogue Cannith with an invention that certainly doesn't belong outside the enclave? Merrix would definitely not approve of that."

He grins in a disturbing resemblance of a shark, no trace of good humor in his eyes at all.

"Not to mention that could definitely be a financial windfall for us."

Moranica
2011-08-17, 05:24 PM
Aer'rae sits listening quietly, while enjoying the duck.

Hmpf, some people never realise that information is the most valuable thing.

"Alright, since everybody is getting something from this. After this is resolved, House Deneith will owe me a favor... personally. That will be something between me and House Deneith, and none other are to know about it."

"Now, when do we start?"

Greenish
2011-08-18, 12:39 AM
Thalaen chuckles while eating the duck. "A weapon more deadly than anything seen before? Very dramatic, but I doubt it is anything compared to the double scimitar of my ancestors."

Cogidubnus
2011-08-20, 04:59 AM
'Well, I'll get the bill, then if you need somewhere to get a night's sleep there's space in my apartment. It's not much, pretty grubby, but it's got a privy and pallet beds.'

Greenish
2011-08-23, 10:02 AM
Thalaen tilts his head. "You think they're already gunning for us?"

Moranica
2011-08-23, 10:11 AM
"I'm fine thank you. Where will we meet tomorrow?"

Zarthrax
2011-08-23, 06:29 PM
Tannis shakes his head.

"I have my place to stay, thanks. But I digress. Shall we begin after dinner, or wait for the morning, then?"

Cogidubnus
2011-08-26, 05:01 AM
Xantippus shakes his head at Thalaen.

"I do not believe we are in any danger, it was simply a polite offer. Meet me at the Easter Market Square in Lower Dura tomorrow, by the southern entrance. We will find little in the dark tonight, I feel."

By this point, Xantippus has paid the bill, handing over an impressive weight of silver, and is standing up to leave.

Moranica
2011-08-26, 05:21 AM
"Alright, thank you for the meal. I'll meet you there."

Aer'rae gets up, wishes the others a good night and heads home for a good night rest.

Greenish
2011-08-26, 09:09 AM
"Very well." Thalaen bows and leaves for his inn.

Zarthrax
2011-08-26, 04:23 PM
Offering his host a short bow, Tannis nods a good evening to the two elves as the group dissolves into its components for the evening.

He turns in early at his home above his shop that night, already thinking about what could possibly be worth all this effort....

Cogidubnus
2011-08-29, 01:04 PM
The following morning, you all meet at the designated point. The market is alive and bustling again, with people shouting, selling, trading, arguing and courting as they always have done, the previous week's events already forgotten. Xantippus meets you there, this time dressed in armour made of layers of silvery steel, a skirt of leather and mail protecting his thighs, silver greaves and bracers on his legs and arms, and a round, open-faced helmet on his head. He carries a rectangular tower shield the height of a man, with a boss of steel and tiny script carved over its dark wooden surface in silver.

Greenish
2011-08-29, 02:34 PM
Thalaen appears in the same garb as he wore yesterday, now complimented by the prolific form of valenar double scimitar sheathed in a complex, runed sheath behind his back.

Munching an apple, he nods good morning at the group.

Zarthrax
2011-08-29, 02:43 PM
Tannis shows up exactly on time, still garbed as he was yesterday in longcoat and battered hat. He nods at the others as they await the last member of their party.

Moranica
2011-08-31, 01:43 AM
Finally Aer'rae arrives, wearing a similar outfit as yesterday with lots of grey. He now also sports a breastplate and a sword and bow.

"Alright people, I'm here, so let's get started. I have a lot of experience with this sort of thing, so please ask before you change anything. Although it's most likely already tampered with, we might still find some clues."

"Let's get searching!"

Using investigate feat [roll0] to find clues. DM has to roll the analysis of it.

Cogidubnus
2011-08-31, 02:52 AM
Aer'rae finds a fragment of black cloth trapped in the door of an abandoned building on the south side of the square, which clearly shows that someone fled from the building in a hurry and tore their cloak as they fled.

Moranica
2011-08-31, 04:22 AM
Aer'rae grabs the piece of cloth.

"Hmm, this is interesting. Someone wearing this, must have fled the scene. Let's see who was the previous owner."

Using gloves of object reading on the cloth.

Cogidubnus
2011-08-31, 06:22 AM
Aer'rae is silent for several minutes, focussing on the cloth.

Object Reading Results after 5 minutes:
The cloth's last owner was a NE human male, 39 years old. He acquired it as a mark of respect from House Tarkanen, and he lost it when he had to tear his cloak free when it caught in the door as he ran from the building.

Moranica
2011-08-31, 04:03 PM
"Quite interesting. It seems House Tarkanen is involved in this somehow. Does this ring a bell with anyone?"

Greenish
2011-08-31, 04:51 PM
Let's see what bells are ringing…

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
For "House Tarkanan".

[Edit]: Assume I repeat whatever information I get to others.

Zarthrax
2011-08-31, 05:54 PM
Tannis grows more dour with that mention.

"I have."

His face grows even more grim to the point where even those who normally aren't good at reading people realize that he is very very angry now. Angry enough to start killing and not ever stop, even....

Greenish
2011-08-31, 06:31 PM
Thalaen eyes Tannis with mixture of curiosity and wariness, unconsciously touching the handle of his double scimitar. "Do tell, have you perhaps a personal grudge with them?"

Cogidubnus
2011-08-31, 07:37 PM
Knowledge (everyone can read):

You know House Tarkanen was founded by Thora Tavin, a Brelish spy, during the Last War and has been established as a home for those with aberrant dragonmarks in that time. Its name comes from the name of Lord Tarkanen who led the aberrant dragonmarks in the War of the Mark

I rolled knowledge local for the other PCs.

You are aware that House Tarkanen provides most of the thievery and assassination services in Sharn. They offer either "assassination", where the client specifies the exact scenario in which the target dies, or "manslaughter", where the target is killed according to the assassin's discretion.

Zarthrax
2011-09-01, 08:04 PM
"I do," Tannis states sedately, a sentiment fully at odds with the look on his face.

"This job just got better and better."

Cogidubnus
2011-09-03, 04:34 AM
Xantippus looks thoughtful. "I don't really have any idea how to contact an assassin from House Tarkanan. I arrest killers, I don't hire them. Do any of you have any contacts you could use?"

Greenish
2011-09-03, 07:21 AM
"I might be able to find one, but my poking around would be noticed. Which is just as well, since then we could wait for them to come for us."

Can you search for "member of House Tarkanan" with Urban Tracking, or do you need to specify an individual for it?

Moranica
2011-09-03, 03:50 PM
"I could ask around at my own house. I'm sure I can come with something. If you're looking for a man, I know he was human and about 39 years old. Not much else I'm afraid, as he was cloacked."

Zarthrax
2011-09-07, 07:22 PM
Tannis shakes his head.

"I have no contacts of that nature. If we were tracking down an adventuring party, maybe, but not a league of assassins. Especially ones I want dead."

Greenish
2011-09-08, 07:44 AM
"We're going to destroy an entire guild of assassins?" Thalaen asks, then shrugs. "Sounds good to me."

The short elf nods towards the taller one. "Shall you make covert inquiries, or shall I snoop around the city and announce we're looking for them?"

Cogidubnus
2011-09-08, 08:40 AM
Xantippus pulls a pocket-sized book from his belt and starts leafing through its tiny pages. The words on the leather cover are so faded they are impossible to read. After consulting the book for a few moments, he looks up.

'The penalties in Sharn for accepting an assassination or manslaughter contract are actually more severe than those for murder. Death is the usual sentence, in recompense for the willful death of the victim. What I was checking was the punishment for helping to organise sucha contract. The client is fined heavily, normally enough to compensate the deceased's family for the loss of an income-earner. Those involved in aiding the assassin either lose their lives or their tongues, depending on the judge. To conclude, we may lawfully use what means we need against all agents of House Tarkanen, as they have all made themselves guilty of the above charges by becoming involved with an organisation known for murder and theft.'

Greenish
2011-09-08, 08:11 PM
"Common isn't my native tongue, but I think he just said we get to kill those bastards." Thalaen is visibly cheered by the thought and begins to hum a tune (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju_by-sC79c).

Cogidubnus
2011-09-10, 12:27 PM
To get things moving, I've made some Gather Information checks for Thalaen and Aer'rae. Here's the results.

Aer'rae's takes four hours asking around the Shadow Demesne housed within the House Phiarlan enclave in Sharn, while Thalaen tails back and forth across the city, spending 7 hours trying to find information on how to hire an assassin with a weapon that could guarantee a kill.

Aer'rae returns to the group first, with the information that a House Tarkanen assassin named Gregory was hired by House Boromar within the last couple of weeks, and that he has a residence in Rattlestone, in the Cliffside Middle Wards on the south-west side of the city.

Thalaen returns later, having learnt only that there is a man called The Broker in The Bazaar in Middle Dura can be used to contact House Tarkanen. He also mentions having seen a man who might have been following him several times over three of the 7 hours he's been searching, and a woman who was within earshot whenever he was asking questions about House Tarkanen.

Moranica
2011-09-10, 05:20 PM
Can I scry on this Gregory fellow? When putting together the visual info from the object reading and this new info?

Cogidubnus
2011-09-10, 05:58 PM
Specifically which spell are you using?

Moranica
2011-09-11, 03:31 PM
Scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm), it's one of my dragonmarks. DC 15 will save. He gets bonusses though.

I will be gone for the next two weeks. Feel free to NPC me.

Cogidubnus
2011-09-11, 05:23 PM
Aer'rae's Scrying reveals a man, with dark brown hair fading through to grey at the back, wearing a hooded black cloak with the hood down, workman's overalls and big boots walking quickly through a market somewhere. He has a dagger at his side with something carved into the pommel. There is another man walking by his side, a big man with blond hair, and a woman with mouse brown hair that hangs past her shoulders. The other man is also dressed in overalls, while the woman wears a plain brown-green dress.

Cogidubnus
2011-09-13, 03:18 PM
Xantippus looks resolute. "Right, we've got a good guess at who our perpetrator is, we know where he lives. Why don't we rest for a couple of hours, then visit him when he's most likely to be at home?"

Aer'rae looks slightly sceptical. "That might work, but he's bound to have an escape route and he's our only lead."

Greenish
2011-09-14, 10:22 AM
Thalaen leans to a wall, idly tapping the handle of his scimitar. "Even if he escapes, he'll know were after him. I somehow doubt House Tarkanan will go laying low after being shaken." The elf grins. "We poke the hornets' nest and see what flies out."

Zarthrax
2011-09-18, 09:27 AM
Tannis nods sharply, his anger under control (somewhat) for the moment.

"Agreed."

Cogidubnus
2011-09-18, 12:56 PM
The majority being in favour of direct action, you travel to Rattlestone, not hurrying, stopping in an inn for a couple of hours so that night fully descends.

The ward is moderately well lit even at night, with evenly spaced torches burning brightly in brackets high up on both sides of the main streets, but there are shadowy patches between each light where only the keen eyes of the elves can comfortably see. The smaller side streets also have lights, although these are fewer, leaving dark corners with unseen contents.

Gregory lives in a tenement flat two floors above street level, the building itself backed onto the exterior wall of the tower it is built in. A brief reconnaissance shows the door to be wooden, with an iron lock, and lights lit inside. You retire to the ground floor to discuss how best to proceed.

"Here's my suggestion. We knock, and as soon as this assassin answers the door, I trap him in a net and keep him restrained. Then we can guarantee he won't escape and will have plenty of time to tie him down so we can interrogate him and search his flat.
And," he says, searching another small book, "we have reasonable grounds of suspicion which gives officers of the law, like me, the right to force entry into any non-royal building." Xantippus is already loosening a net attached to his belt as he speaks.

Greenish
2011-09-20, 04:36 PM
Thalaen silently draws his double scimitar from it's sheath and nods to sign he is ready.

Cogidubnus
2011-09-22, 10:13 AM
Aer'rae knocks on the door while Xantippus stands back, out of sight of anyone peering through the keyhole, holding his net ready. After a few moments of rustling, clicking, shuffling, and other quiet muffled sounds, the door opens. With a flick of his wrist, Xantippus sends his net flying through it, twisting around the big blond man answering it. Through the door, a woman and dark-haired man are visible. As soon as the net wraps around the big man, they go for their weapons, but aren't as fast to react as you.

You have initiative, if Greenish and Zartharx could take their actions while I work out what Aer'rae'd do, that'd be swell :smallsmile:

Greenish
2011-09-23, 06:40 AM
Thalaen slips in from the door and goes for the closest free enemy. He feints to attack, then drops low and tries to sweep his opponent's legs from under him.

Move inside, [roll0] to avoid AoO (if needed).
Touch attack for trip [roll1]
Trip check [roll2]

If trip succeeds, Imp. Trip attacks (double scimitar):
[roll3] for [roll4] slashing.
[roll5] for [roll6] slashing.

Cogidubnus
2011-09-23, 04:18 PM
The dark-haired man loses his footing at Thalaen's sweeping attack, the twin blades cutting his inner thighs as he falls, blood pouring from the femoral arteries to soak the floor. In moments he is unconscious, his blood surrounding Thalaen's boots and beginning to seep through the bare floorboards.

Xantippus attempts to knot the end of his net around the banister outside the door, but the big man's struggling makes it impossible for him to tie the knot securely.

Failed a DC 10 check, how embarrassing. The man Thalaen attacked is now unconscious and prone.

Zarthrax
2011-09-24, 02:45 AM
Tannis looks down at their greeter with a note of disdain in his voice.

"Well, that was certainly worth waiting for."

Raising his hand to one of the tips of the bull's horns visible on his great coat, and pulls.

With a shimmer, the illusion of the bull's horn in his hand dissolves to reveal an arcane contraption of metal and blue glowing runes, which he points in the woman's general direction. Silently, he fires, creating a massive gout of blue energy that flies over the man in the net to attempt to strike both of the people still inside....

(OOC: Vengeance Stance active, making all my weapons Human Bane. Blossom of Righteous Fire Maneuver. All rolls are in the OOC.)

Cogidubnus
2011-09-24, 11:14 AM
Tannis' wand blast wraps around the woman, and for a moment it looks like the fight is over. But it flows over and past her, streaming through the open window on the far side of the room and off into the gap between the towers.

Aer'rae looks the woman on the other side of the room straight in the eye and commands her, with no faltering in his voice, but no anger either, "halt". The woman staggers slightly as her legs cease to obey her commands and fasten themselves to the floor.

The big man, rather than struggling against the net further, turns his hands, still tied by his sides, palms out, towards Aer'rae, Tannis and Xantippus, revealing a twisted, jumping, red and gold mark on his hand. Flames leap forth from it, wrapping around the three men and burning the net away.

The woman reaches out her hand to her fallen comrade, and a tiny surge of light passes from her hand into him. His eyes open and he blinks in surprise.
Ed: She then drinks from a blue bottle, turns, and flees, leaping through the window.

That's Burning Hands, gentlemen. 5 fire damage, DC 12 reflex save to halve it.

Knowledge DC 15 Arcana or History:
You recognise an aberrant dragonmark.

Greenish
2011-09-24, 12:31 PM
Slightly singed, Thalaen runs to the window.

Turn not over, unless the woman took off flying, I'm jumping after her.

[roll0] if necessary.

Cogidubnus
2011-09-24, 01:27 PM
As he gets to the edge of the window, Thalaen screeches to a halt, as he peers down at the yawning drop. The ground is lost in the lightless mists that surround the base of the towers. Several bridges span between this tower and the next, but all the falls are too far for an unaided mortal to survive. The woman is dropping rapidly towards a bridge slightly to the right.

That's the start of turn two, PCs go first, Greenish has used a move action (which he may still end in leaping after her if he likes).

Greenish
2011-09-24, 01:51 PM
Thalaen flashes a smile over his shoulder at his allies, shouts "Catch you later!" and jumps out after the woman.

If I need a jump check to start falling into the same direction, here's one: [roll0]

Cogidubnus
2011-09-24, 02:38 PM
Xantippus doesn't have time to spare half a glance for the fleeing woman, or Thalaen's pursuit. He hurls himself at the big man, not even bothering to draw his sword, claws and fangs that he has neatly hidden through folds of his armour mixed with heavy body blows from his elbow plates and forehead. As he attacks, Xantippus roars "You are...guilty of ...resisting arrest...and aiding...a fugitive...from the law!"

Issuing a Deterrent Verdict on the big man, along with 6 natural attacks (bite, claw and slam, all d6) manifested at the start of the day by his Wyrd-Blooded nature.

[roll0] for [roll1] + [roll2] cold
[roll3] for [roll4] + [roll5] cold
[roll6] for [roll7] + [roll8] cold
[roll9] for [roll10] + [roll11] cold
[roll12] for [roll13] + [roll14] cold
[roll15] for [roll16] + [roll17] cold

All weapon damage is non-lethal. The target is also now subject to a 50% chance not to act each round and a -3 penalty to attack rolls, AC, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks for 9 rounds.

The blond man collapses unconscious under the furious assault, leaving Xantippus grinning and panting over his unconscious body.

"That's...justice..." he breathes.

Zarthrax
2011-09-25, 02:55 AM
Tannis curses under his breath as the fire barely singes him, having taken the extra precaution of weathering the leather of his coat and hat as a last ditch defense.

Seeing the girl go diving out the window just as his mind processes that she has an aberrant mark, he runs pell mell across the room, following Thalaen out the window, barely avoiding being kicked in the face by his heels.

As the trio start to fall, Tannis's eyes quickly take in all the angles. Taking a deep breath, he fires a shot off to his right....

....which ricochets off a hanging gargoyle straight down into a crenellated buttress, which then causes it to ricochet downward again at an angle.

The smile on the face of the Tarkannen is evident as she watches the bolt of ice blue energy flash past her, contrary to Tannis's smirk.

Wait for it.

As she turns her head back down, her eyes widen in shock as the blue bolt ricochets off of a statue, off the bridge sidewalls three times, and comes straight back up for her face....

(Poetic license invoked because of how well I rolled. Also, my modifier for Knowledge: Arcana is +16, so I didn't bother rolling for that. Hope that's ok.)

Cogidubnus
2011-09-25, 07:57 AM
Thalaen and Tannis have to cover their faces as the bolt strikes the woman's head, splitting it open and spraying gore up into the air and the two falling men. Her body goes limp and starts to drop straight down with no gentle leaning to direct it towards the nearby bridges. It looks as though she'll miss the bridge she was aiming for by a matter of feet now, and below that is a much longer drop into the bowels of Lower Dura and its dark, mist-shrouded bridges.

Ed: Aer'rae, knowing how weak the dark-haired man left in the room is, draws his longbow and shoots a single arrow at him. It strikes him high in the left shoulder, and yet somehow he seems relatively unaffected, only wincing slightly at the injury.

The man looks around for a moment, realising he cannot take Xantippus and Aer'rae on in a fair fight. He waves his hands, mutters, and vanishes from their view.

I rolled 7 damage there (mental note).
You may now act again (in the case of the falling gentlemen, you may want to be inventive). Moranica's back so I'll let him take over now.

Zarthrax
2011-09-25, 09:58 AM
Tannis almost smiles for a moment as the shot hits its mark.

Scratch one more Tarkannen.

Angling himself as he falls, he speeds down to grab the corpse. Tumbling for a moment, he finally rights himself just in time to avoid slamming his head into a bridge as it whooshes past.

Double checking to make sure the other man is immediately above him, Tannis whispers a command word, activating his ring of featherweight falling and almost slams to a halt, midair.

He yells up at the other falling man.

"Just like jumping onto a horse! Otherwise, we'll both die!"

Moranica
2011-09-25, 10:04 AM
Aer'rae acts quickly after the man vanishes. Using his keen nose he figures out the direction in which the man is. He then moves closer and casts Glitterdust around himself.

Using scent from his stance to pinpoint the direction.
Autosucceed on casting defensively.
Glitterdust 10 ft radius around him. DC20 will save to avoid the blindness.

Cogidubnus
2011-09-25, 10:20 AM
The dust fills the room and corridor. Xantippus curses as it fills his eyes and blinds him. The figure outlined in the room freezes for a moment as the dust covers it, outlining wide hips, thin arms and a small head. The man doesn't start to stumble or curse though, so he appears to have avoided being blinded.

I'm going to run this encounter as just Aer'rae and Xantippus versus the man, as everyone else is now out of the picture.

Xantippus staggers, trying to find where to go, wandering past the doorway and back down the corridor, bumping off the far wall.

The figure points an arm at Aer'rae and unleashes a red ray, which strikes him in the chest. He curls over for a moment, groaning, before straightening, his limbs feeling weak under him.

You just got hit with Enervation. That's [roll0] negative levels, with all the appropriate penalties.

Moranica
2011-09-25, 11:31 AM
Spellcraft [roll0]

Feeling the hurt from the man's attack, Aer'rae hides and shoots another arrow.

Stealth [roll1]
Attack
[roll2]; [roll3]
[roll4]; [roll5]

When the man's turn starts, he will cast hesitate as an immediate action. DC19 will save (20 if still hidden)

Cogidubnus
2011-09-25, 11:42 AM
One of Aer'rae's arrows strikes true, making the man vent a high-pitched gasp.

"To hell with this," you hear Xantippus curse from the corridor. A moment later, he comes back along it, hovering a few inches above the floor, and feels his way into the door frame. Setting his shield in front of him, he says "I'll give you cover until my sight returns. If I should go out of that window for any reason, don't worry, I'll stay in the air."

As the figure begins to start incanting again, Aer'rae snaps his fingers, and the figure freezes, then suddenly moves quickly forward, flattening itself against the wall out of Aer'rae's line of sight.

Hesitate succeeds, so you're safe until he passes a save.

Greenish
2011-09-25, 12:20 PM
Thalaen speeds towards the bridge, then suddenly slows down and lands lightly on his feet, his double scimitar disappearing into his hand. He peers over the edge of the the bridge at the falling body of the woman, then looks at Tannis. "I could've gotten her alive, damnit! Go get the body, it might yet help us!"

The elf then focuses on trying to hail a skycoach.

Used Hideaway on the scimitar, running around with a bloody bared weapon might not be the best idea.

Cogidubnus
2011-09-25, 12:26 PM
A skycoach is visible in the distance, heading towards the bridge, but it takes 2 rounds to arrive and admit Thalaen.

So after two more rounds of combat, you can spend another 8 rounds getting back up to the window (you fell about 700ft).

Cogidubnus
2011-09-26, 06:31 AM
'You are under arrest! This area is sanctioned and placed under my jurisdiction! Surrender or be taken into custody by force!' Xantippus roars, adding to Aer'rae 'I've done the best I can until my sight returns. He'll be slowed now, and we ought to be protected against damage.'

All damage taken by allies in a 45 ft radius is reduced by 6, and all enemy movement speeds in that area are reduced by 15ft. Best I can do, Aer'rae'd best make his actions count.

Moranica
2011-09-26, 04:22 PM
Smart! No hiding this turn.

Moving into sight range and an arrow.

[roll0] [roll1]

Cogidubnus
2011-09-26, 04:28 PM
The arrow strikes the man in the leg, and he wobbles for a moment. He still seems hesitant to act against you, fumbling his hands in the air instead of casting spells. He stumbles towards the doorway, past Xantippus, who detects his presence too late, and the man just about makes it into the corridor.

You might as well act again. He's still within line of sight, this round, just getting slowly away.

Moranica
2011-09-27, 04:40 PM
Two more arrows fly from Aer'rae's bow.

"It might not be fast, but I'll get you!"

[roll0]; [roll1]
[roll2]; [roll3]

Cogidubnus
2011-09-27, 05:17 PM
The man groans as another arrow cuts him above the hip, then drags himself out Aer'rae's view, down the corridor towards the stairs.

Tannis manages to land on one of the lowermost bridges of Lower Dura, clutching the corpse. He finds himself surrounded by 4 guards, one holding a sword, the others longspears. The one with the sword looks puzzled as he addresses Tannis.

'See, I don't really know what to do here, because city law says I'm supposed to reward you for casting Feather Fall on a falling person, but this one is clearly deceased, and I could take you into custody regarding their death. However, you don't look like you'd be the sort to come quietly, and I can't be bothered with the paperwork anyway, so why don't I just give you this bit of paper with my mark so other guards don't give you any trouble and we'll say no more about it?'

Moranica
2011-09-27, 05:21 PM
"Follow me!"

Says Aer'rae as he follows his target stealthily.

Stealth [roll0]

Cogidubnus
2011-09-27, 07:04 PM
'Because I can do that,' grumbles Xantippus, crashing into the doorframe. Peering round the door, Aer'rae sees his target start scrambling down the stairs. Before long he'll be out of Xantippus' control and moving at full speed unless something can stop him.

Moranica
2011-09-28, 04:13 PM
Aer'rae approaches the man once again, while trying to remain hidden. He then casts deep slumber at the man.

Will save DC 21, or 20 if he spots me

Cogidubnus
2011-09-28, 04:30 PM
The man turns, sees you approaching, then crumples to the floor as you cast your spell.

I'm gonna wind forwards the next few rounds, so that Xantippus can see again and Thalaen makes it back to the room. Dunno what Tannis is doing yet.

With Xantippus' help, Aer'rae is able to tow the man's sleeping body back into the room and tie it to a chair. Looking around, you notice for the first time that this is some sort of living area, with a small table, a few chairs, and food on the table. As you tie him to the chair, you notice something odd. The man's face starts to shimmer, his clothes boil, and then suddenly the person tied up is the brown-haired woman you saw on first entering the room, the one who appeared to jump from the window. Thalaen dismounts from his sky coach just in time to see this happen.

Tannis:
At this same time, the body you're holding changes into the body of the man you were looking for, Gregory.

Zarthrax
2011-09-28, 05:50 PM
Tannis nods at the guard and takes the slip of paper, then silently begins the long trudge back up to where the building the group had entered.

Pretending to be mute is a good cover. Can't lie directly if you "can't talk"...

He fills a shiver through himself as the spell ends. Tannis shifts the body and looks for a moment, noticing that he's carrying a man and not a woman any more, which makes him feel a lot better aobut taking the shot when he did.

Next time, I'll let the elf deal with the jumper. I don't like shooting women. Doesn't mean I won't do it if I don't have to, but I still don't like it...

Greenish
2011-09-29, 07:50 AM
"Good, you've bagged them. I've a ride here." Thalaen motions to the skycoach he told to wait outside the window. "Let's wrap the other guy up, too, and go pick up that wand-happy d'Cannith. He shot the lady's - er, whoever's head right through, then dived after the body."

Cogidubnus
2011-09-29, 08:23 AM
"Sounds like a plan," Xantippus says, bundling first the woman and then the man into the skycoach, and dropping a gold piece into the driver's lap to quiet his worried expression.

You manage to catch up with Tannis (slowed as he is by man-handling the corpse) before he gets lost from sight in the crowds of Lower Dura. Xantippus looks at the headless man he's carrying and frowns, a sight made rather severe by the fact that he hasn't concealed his claws or fangs yet.

"We have courts and juries in this city for a reason, Cannith. Please try to restrain yourself from committing homicide, albeit against fleeing criminals, when there is any chance of taking them into custody. Especially when questioning them would really be rather more profitable than killing them."

Greenish
2011-09-29, 12:52 PM
"We have two of his associates, though." Thalaen nudges the tied-up blonde man with his boot for emphasis. "They're probably of lesser rank, for they stayed behind to cover his escape, but who knows more of his master's doings than a trusted servant?"

Moranica
2011-09-29, 03:53 PM
"Please handle the captives. I'll sift through everything in this room, see if I can find some clues."

Investigate [roll0]

Zarthrax
2011-09-29, 04:13 PM
Tannis arches an eyebrow and cooly responds.

"You came to me for help, even knowing my reputation. If you've changed your mind simply because I find corpses less tiring to chase, then you are more than welcome to continue questioning this one."

Cogidubnus
2011-09-30, 09:51 AM
Xantippus nods reluctantly at Tannis' reply.

"All the same, I would appreciate it if you would pander to my legal sensibilities wherever practical in future. I do not expect you to risk your life capturing criminals, do not fear."

Aer'rae's searching of the room reveals several things. Firstly, by examining the meal, he can tell that both the fish they were eating and the wine jug are enchanted, and will continue to supply food indefinitely, suggesting the assassins are well-equipped with magic items. He finds a small stash of paper packets in the mattress, each about an inch long. Tearing one open, he finds it contains a black powder and a small metal ball, like a sling bullet. His examination also shows that the powder is highly explosive, leading him to believe this is some component in the mysterious weapon you are hunting. In the bedroom, he also finds a small weapon cache, containing shruiken and two quivers of twenty arrows, with thin, pale-blue bands just below the arrowheads.

He is able to tell by the layout of the two rooms that the apartment is normally occupied by a single male, probably Gregory, your target, and that his two guests have not slept there, which he believes means they arrived today.

Searching the corpse, he recovers a long metal pole attached to a wooden handle, with a crossbow-like trigger underneath and several of the paper packets in an ammunition pouch. He also finds a dagger, a sling, two blue vials, a bow inscribed with many-coloured runes, and what he believes to be enchanted gloves and boots. The woman possesses two scrolls, a dagger and a silver necklace bearing a fox pendant. The blond man has a longsword with an inscription in an unrecognised language around the hilt, a green vial, two blue vials, and a suit of full plate armour in the bedroom that could only fit him of the three people. They also have 2103gp in coins between them.

Cogidubnus
2011-10-04, 12:31 PM
Xantippus takes the weapon from Aer'rae and hands it to Tannis, holding it by the metal pole.

"Can you use it, or better still, tell who made it?"

Could I have a Search check please, and any other skills you'd like to apply to it.

Zarthrax
2011-10-04, 02:32 PM
Xantippus nods reluctantly at Tannis' reply.

"All the same, I would appreciate it if you would pander to my legal sensibilities wherever practical in future. I do not expect you to risk your life capturing criminals, do not fear."

Tannis shrugs, then nods.

"Fine."

Xantippus takes the weapon from Aer'rae and hands it to Tannis, holding it by the metal pole.

"Can you use it, or better still, tell who made it?"

Could I have a Search check please, and any other skills you'd like to apply to it.

Tannis examines the 'weapon', for lack of a better term, exceedingly closely, checking for manufacturer's marks, distinctive metal work, anything at all to tell him where it might have been made at...

Search - [roll0]
Knowledge (Sharn) - [roll1]

Cogidubnus
2011-10-04, 04:28 PM
Tannis only:

You can tell quite easily how to use the weapon. A section of the metal pipe just beyond the trigger clips out, into which one of the paper packets can be inserted. A lever is then pulled back, and the trigger pulled, lighting the explosive in the paper and propelling the metal pellet out of the pipe. You know that the weapon would have a range similar to that of a heavy crossbow, and Xantippus' account of its effectiveness suggests it would be rather more deadly. Others without your skill would not be able to deduce how the weapon worked, or if they could, could not use it competently, without your instruction.

The weapon was not made by any Cannith scion or weaponsmith in Sharn that you know of, and you're confident you know all the ones who could even approach a weapon of this level of skilled design without resorting to magical components. Your search doesn't reveal a maker's mark, but you have not examined it for as long as you might do. You can tell the weapon has not been enchanted, but you are sure that you could do so if you wished.

Zarthrax
2011-10-04, 05:47 PM
Tannis' eyes widen slightly at all he was able to deduce so quickly, but he continues to inspect the weapon, for indeed it is, much more closely....

(I'll take 20 on that Search check now....lol)

Cogidubnus
2011-10-04, 05:51 PM
Inside the metal pipe, barely visible unless it is searched extremely hard for, a symbol is carved. The symbol appears to be the Cannith bull at first, but you then realise its horns are twisted and assymetric, and it has a row of smaller horns down the length of its nose. It appears to have fangs and to be breathing fire. You have never seen anything like it before.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions as to what it means, howeve.

Moranica
2011-10-05, 10:46 AM
"And, what did you find out?"

"We should get this powder and these vials examined. I can have it done tonight."

Greenish
2011-10-05, 12:34 PM
Thalaen eyes the weapon Tannis is examining sceptically. "That… club is the famed weapon we hunted for?"

Zarthrax
2011-10-05, 03:28 PM
To Aen'rae, Tannis merely shakes his head.

"I can analyze it back at my shop. No need to involve persons of questionable trust."

Grunting as he traces the symbol out on a bit of paper, he remarks to the other elf.

"Not all powerful weapons are covered in gilt and glow with arcane power, swordsman. This is something that just might end up putting your zaelshin tu to shame. Once I figure it out fully, anyway."

Finishing the sketch, he hands it to Aen'rae.

"I'd say from the image alone, whoever is making these things has set their sights on my House."

Greenish
2011-10-06, 05:37 PM
Thalaen grins at Tannis's reply. "One can hope." He picks up a handful of the small cloth packages. "These are explosive? That may come in handy."

The elf then stashes them to his haversack, and extends a hand towards Tannis. "May I look at the weapon? How is it supposed to work?"

I'm going to assume Aer'rae divulged most of what his searches found to us. Do correct me if necessary.

Moranica
2011-10-08, 02:17 PM
Yes, though next time, I'll incorporate it into my post. :smallbiggrin:

Zarthrax
2011-10-10, 03:54 PM
Tannis hands it over to the elf with a shrug.

"Can't tell right away. I'd have to analyze it at my shop first."

Greenish
2011-10-10, 05:22 PM
The short elf turns the strange weapon around in his hands, peers down the pipe, then adjusts the stock on top of his right shoulder like a crossbow, aims to a far corner of the room away from everybody and pulls the trigger.

Crossbows have no recoil, so I understand their stock was usually rested on top of the shoulder, but if the gun was loaded, Thalaen is in for a nasty shock. So is anyone directly behind him. :smalltongue:

Cogidubnus
2011-10-11, 04:51 AM
There is an almighty roar, like a thunderclap, which echoes around the suddenly very small-seeming room. The first thing you all see is Thalaen lurch backwards, falling to the floor as though punched, and a plume of smoke rising from the end of the weapon. When you look at it, you see a hole has been punched through the plaster in the corner of the wall.

Zarthrax
2011-10-11, 07:50 AM
Tannis's eyes narrow as he considers the results of the elf ''trying the weapon''.

Hmmmmmmmm, definite drawback. I hope the range is enough to compensate for it. Plus there has to be a faster way to reload. Maybe a quick loading enchantment? Hmmmmmmmm....

Greenish
2011-10-11, 02:47 PM
Sprawled on the floor, Thalaen grins to his companions. "There's definitely kick in there!" He rises up, then picks the strange weapon up, examines it's stock again, then braces it against his shoulder, leaning forward, and, aiming to the same far corner, presses the trigger again, this time prepared for the kick.

Cogidubnus
2011-10-11, 02:52 PM
The pin above the trigger clicks back and forth, but nothing happens.

Greenish
2011-10-11, 04:19 PM
Thalaen tries the trigger again and again. "I think it I broke it." The elf tosses the strange weapon aside. "Eh, it can't be that useful. Lots of sound and fury, granted, but no great effect."

Cogidubnus
2011-10-11, 04:36 PM
Xantippus sighs.

"Would you try to fire a bow without putting an arrow to it? Or, for that matter, would you expect a bow to kill a man from its effect on a wall? Besides, imagine what a hundred of these might do, or two hundred?"

Greenish
2011-10-16, 09:14 AM
"A hundred weapons or one, it's basically a loud, messy crossbow." Thalaen shrugs. "The first shot you fire, you tell everyone where you are."

Cogidubnus
2011-10-16, 10:02 AM
'Messy crossbow is indeed a good way to describe it. All the same, I am convinced that this weapon, being as it is, like a crossbow, simple to wield, could guarantee supremacy for whichever part of the criminal underworld controlled it. And the only thing making it possible to maintain a semblance of law in this city is criminals' in-fighting, so pardon me for still feeling concern.
'In any case, we ought to take these two somewhere safe to interrogate. I reccomend the Blackened Book's anti-magic cells.'

Moranica
2011-10-17, 03:02 PM
All this time Aer'rae has stood there. Dumbfounded at the mans method of investigation. Just pulling the trigger like that. I guess not all of us are used to doing subtle investigations.

Greenish
2011-10-18, 09:52 AM
"Anti-magic cells sound good. Shall we?" With that, Thalaen jumps into the 'coach.

Cogidubnus
2011-10-18, 01:51 PM
With your prisoners bundled into the coach, you set off. Not long into your journey, the bound and gagged woman's eyes snap open. She starts to leap for the door, but Xantippus lashes out, catching her across the side of the face, and she slumps back into her seat.

"Been waiting for that to happen," he mutters.

You arrive at the Blackened Book's headquarters via a side gate in one of the many turrets that emerge from the side of the tower housing the main headquarters. The guards greet you all in a friendly manner, and a lieutenant is soon available to deal with your requests.

"Xantippus," he smiles, Of course you can use the anti-magic cells. Interrogating abberants, I see. Anything else we can do for you? Perhaps, once you are done, your friends and yourself would like to eat and sleep here? It is quite late."

"Thank you, we may take up that offer, let us discuss it. But first, I could use a cleric capable of helping us bring these criminals round for interrogation, and if they think they could possibly get any answers from that corpse, he indicates the bloodied body of the assassin, then that would be even better."

We have several priests staying here, mostly to tend to wounded guardsmen, I will see if any can help you. Jarvis, escort the Marshall to the anti-magic wing and give him the keys to cells 11a and 13a."

The cells are basically bare, containing only a pallet bed and wooden chair, to which it is easy to bind the captives. You pause for a moment, to consider who to interrogate first.

Any suggestions on who you'd like to hear from first would be welcome. The cleric will arrive once you make your decision. If anyone has a Use Rope modifier higher than Xantippus' +1, I'll use that to oppose any Escape Artist checks.

Zarthrax
2011-11-03, 01:53 AM
Tannis follows the group silently, his general glower doing much to keep people from bumping into him.

At the question of who to interrogate first, he merely shakes his head.

"I'd say the corpse second, if only to confirm anything the others would say, but as to who goes first, I have no preference. I don't think I could conduct a good interrogation anyway. Those tools such as would be necessary tend to make....messes."

Cogidubnus
2011-11-03, 12:26 PM
"No one will be tortured, if that is what you are implying. If the captives cannot be persuaded, goaded or cajoled into helping us, we will not harm them." Xantippus looks stern as he says this.

Moranica
2011-11-03, 01:51 PM
Aer'rae looks at Xantippus showing no emotion.

Interesting...

"I agree, the corpse can wait. The other might be more troublesome."

Use rope at +4! :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-11-05, 04:08 PM
Thalaen shrugs. "Torture them, they just say what they think you want to hear. Not the best option, usually." The short elf scratches his chin, then shrugs again. "I don't think the order matters much. Might as well start with the lady."

Cogidubnus
2011-11-05, 04:31 PM
Xantippus drags the unconscious woman into one cell, and the man into another. Aer'rae ties her to a chair. At this point a short, dark-haired man appears, wearing a white tabard over his guard's mail.

"Which of the prisoners did you want resuscitating first, Marshall?" he asks, and, when he receives his answer, brings the woman round.

Xantippus squats to bring his eyes level with the woman's. "You're in the antimagic cells of the Blackened Book. You will stand trial. You will be found guilty. The word of a Sentinel Marshall is enough to bring a conviction by itself. But I will offer you a deal, if you can provide us with useful information. First, will you confirm that you work for House Tarkannen?"

The woman's eyes widen. She seems to be considering what to say, so there is a chance for you to follow up Xantippus' opening statement.

Anyone want to help with the interrogation? If anyone's got good social skills, now'd be the time to use them.
Xantippus got a 40 on his Diplomacy check, so things'll be smooth enough, but you might get more open and informative answers if you can add extra skills.

Moranica
2011-11-07, 04:57 PM
"Aer'rae takes place next to the Marshall, ready to do his part in the interrogation."

Got a +13 bluff, +17 gather info, not sure how to use it though.

Greenish
2011-11-08, 06:26 PM
Thalaen leans back to the wall of the cell and begins whistling a cheery ditty while flipping a dagger in his hands.

Sense motive +13.

Zarthrax
2011-11-08, 11:42 PM
Tannis just leans back against the wall, an intimidating glower fixed on the woman....

Intimidate +12

Cogidubnus
2011-11-12, 07:50 AM
The woman glowers at the ground for a few moments, and then says, "Ok, yes, I'm a member of House Tarkannen. I assume you must have come because of that weapon? All I know about it is that we were assigned to protect Gregory on its account, something about the Boromars and the Watch."

Aer'rae leans over, looking grim. "We already know who gave you the weapon. Do you really have nothing more to add?"

"Ok. Umm...oh, I remember Gregory saying something about a shipment. Yes, that's it! A Boromar shipment, that if we bought a slice of, we'd have done so many contracts in a year that we could retire."

Greenish
2011-11-12, 07:21 PM
Thalaen stops whistling long enough to put a word in. "Didn't think you people were the retiring sorts. And an assassin who knows her business ought to make enough to live comfortably for the rest of her life without killing all that many people." The valenar gives the prisoner a dismissive leer and adds "Then again, an assassin who knows her business wouldn't need such a crude, loud weapons, either", tapping the blade of his dagger into the palm of his gauntleted hand for emphasis.

Cogidubnus
2011-11-13, 09:06 AM
"Shows what you know," the woman snaps. "Nothing wrong with a loud weapon if you're so far away from your target no one connects the two in time." She quietens suddenly, wondering if she is being goaded into giving things away.

Greenish
2011-11-14, 12:48 AM
"Surprise is all well and good, but had you amateurs spared a thought on how fast people learn when bodies start to mount? One hit, maybe two, after that you might as well jump up and down and shout 'look, I'm an assassin'." Thalaen starts whistling again, this time a mocking tune.

Cogidubnus
2011-11-16, 07:13 AM
The woman scowls at Thalaen, but stays silent, suggesting he might have a point. Xantippus looks at her.

"You have not told us much, I must admit, and unless you can tell us more about that shipment or your information directly leads to an arrest, the best I can promise you is you won't be executed for bearing an aberrant dragonmark under House Tarkanen's banner. I suppose we should awaken and consult her fellow, no?" Xantippus turns to to the others as he says this.

Greenish
2011-11-16, 10:42 AM
Thalaen holds a hand up to Xantippus. "Hold on. Maybe we should talk about this Gregory, first." The elf fixes his eyes on the prisoner. "You were ready to stay behind to cover his escape. He didn't hesitate a moment to turn his tail. Did you expect him to leave you like that?"

[roll0] for her reaction/reply.