PDA

View Full Version : Falling Hero [3.5 PrC, WIP]

Lither
2011-08-16, 06:31 AM
“I fought with everything I had. I fought with the misguided belief that I could make things better. All I saw was people bleeding. Eventually, I realised I wanted to watch my enemies bleed as well.”

~Fallen Paladin

Not everybody is cut out to be a paladin. Some fall instantly, some atrocity they committed robbing them of their powers. Others fall slowly. Their actions slowly push them towards evil, though they rarely see it. Ordinarily, they fall and seek redemption. Other, more unlucky ones have a prominent figure in the Lower Planes take an interest in them, hiding their fall and feeding them similar powers twisted by evil. Those unfortunate paladins continue to keep what resembles their original powers, and continue down their path until it is too late.

Becoming a Falling Hero: Becoming a Falling Hero

Entry Requirements:
Class:Paladin level 5
Alignment: Lawful Good

Class Skills
The Falling Hero's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Spot (Wis).
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d10

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Power Feed, Smite Opposing, Favoured Enemy +2

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Alignment Shift, Aura of Vengeance

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Detection Malfunction, Hateful Touch, Favoured Enemy +4

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Dark Magic, Bonus feat: Improved Sunder

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Final Fall, Favoured Enemy +6, Slave to Darkness
[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The Falling Hero gains no additional proficiency.

Power Feed: The Falling Hero retains all class abilities except for the ones noted below. The mount is also secretly replaced or similarly corrupted.

The Falling Hero levels stack with Paladin levels for determining all of its class features.

Smite Opposing: The Falling Hero believes themself to be right and their enemies to be evil, regardless of alignment. This belief is powerful enough that the paladin's Smite ability works on any designated target, regardless of whether or not they are evil.

Favoured Enemy: This works as the Ranger ability of the same name.

Alignment Shift: The Falling Hero moves down one step towards evil and also may take a step towards the chaotic end.

Aura of Vengeance: If the Falling Hero or any ally within 10ft is injured, the attacker takes 10% of the damage (no save). If an ally is killed by a death effect, the power intensifies and deals 20% of the ally's maximum hitpoints in damage (Fort half; save = 15 + 50% of damage dealt).

Detection Malfunction: The Fallen Hero's Detect Evil ability shows any opponent as evil to the Falling Hero.

Hateful Touch: The Falling Hero can choose to instead inflict injuries with their Lay on Hands equal to that normally healed.

Dark Magic:The Falling Hero now draws spells from the Blackguard spell list instead of the Paladin spell list.

Final Fall:The Falling Hero's alignment permanently changes to Evil and may be Lawful, Chaotic, or Neutral.

Slave to Darkness: The Falling Hero's levels now stack with Paladin levels for the Blackguard.

Mulletmanalive
2011-08-16, 09:22 AM
It's a halfway interesting idea; the other hand has me saying that the point of a slow descent is that it has to come from somewhere on high to work well and it sounds like anyone who took this would have been a pretty pants paladin from the start. Are you sure this couldn't just be done with a feat?