PDA

View Full Version : Got myself a 4e game and a 3.5 setting, help wanted

Tundar
2011-08-16, 09:53 AM
I've purchased the 4e module "King of the Trollhaunt Warrens" because I've read good things about it and it fits perfectly into my campaign.

But alas, my campaign is 3.5 and we don't intend to switch.

My problem is converting the monsters in the module. I don't know anything about 4e and some of the monsters in the module are new ones and also looking rather interesting challenge wise.

So my task is to find a way to convert the 4e monsters. Is there anything available online or should I just suck it up and make my own monsters?

Fox Box Socks
2011-08-16, 10:06 AM
Short version: use lots of handwaving.

Long version: since 4e monsters aren't built using the same tools as PCs, monster creation is painfully easy compared to earlier editions. Want to give that hobgoblin the ability to shoot lightning from his hands? Plug in the math and boom, you're done. This isn't the case in 3.5, as instead you'll have to dig through books to find a way to give that hobgoblin a magic item or feat or prestige class that lets him cast Lightning Bolt (or a Lightning Bolt analogue) as a spell-like ability.

So, yeah. Cheat. Look at Skalmad's abilities, decide what they would look like in 3.5, then give them to him.

Tundar
2011-08-19, 05:43 AM
I'll do that. Thank you!