PDA

View Full Version : The eye...

torugo
2011-08-16, 10:02 AM
I bet everybody remembers the eye that came in the desert after the Order left the place where Girard's Gate was supposed to be.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0698.html
Have you noticed it was a green eye? Have you noticed Girard's spells are purple?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0694.html
Have you noticed that Z's spells are green?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0800.html
And to end this all.....how do you think NALE knew the order were in the middle of the desert last week?
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html

=P

hamishspence
2011-08-16, 10:04 AM
It's been mentioned in the main 801 thread.

I'm not sure who first speculated it was Zz'dtri after strip 698- I couldn't find any references in that strip's discussion thread.

Maybe the speculation didn't begin till the reappearence of Zz'dtri.

The Oracle tended to be a more common guess.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-16, 10:06 AM
Ugh, ressurecting threads should be much easier if your topic is going to be the same, I could swear there have been around 6 threads on the eye.

Yeah, Nale just admitted he knew the Order was in the desert, and the only way he could know is with that scrying eye. (Probably.)

torugo
2011-08-16, 10:24 AM
Of course there were already threads about the Eye. You put an eye like that in the comic and you can be 100% sure people will comment about it in the forum. I was just pointing out that now we have a very solid confirmation. Nale after the last comic says he KNEW the order was on the desert last week. All adds up.

FujinAkari
2011-08-16, 10:27 AM
Ummm... yes. A lot of people noticed that... it was actually agreed upon as 'the most likely theory' for the most part ever since Z showed up.

However, it almost seems to me that Z merely CAST a scrying spell on Elan, he didn't have it fixated on that spoi in the desert, which is why he DOESN'T attach any relevance to where Elan actually was and why the eye didn't show up until several hours -after- the Order arrived.

SavageWombat
2011-08-16, 10:46 AM
To be more specific, it was brought up originally as a possibility, but the color choices from Z's original appearance didn't match well.

Once he reappeared in the strip, his magic color matches quite well with the scrying sensor.

Alchemist_Fire
2011-08-16, 11:28 AM
My alternate speculation is that Nale is in cahoots with Gerard! Both parties have reason to hate Azurites, and both like being cunning.

Shale
2011-08-16, 11:29 AM
The catch there is that Nale clearly has no idea the Order is looking for a gate.

MoonCat
2011-08-16, 11:30 AM
At least one person thought it was settled it was Girard, but basically ever since Z showed up it has been general opinion that it was Z's. Now it's been confirmed, so great.

137beth
2011-08-16, 11:32 AM
The catch there is that Nale clearly has no idea the Order is looking for a gate.

...Yea he does. He knows about the gates, remember? And he found out WHILE ROY WAS RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

That being said:
Not everything is a clue. Sometimes spells just happen to be a certain color.

MoonCat
2011-08-16, 11:33 AM
Not everything is a clue. Sometimes spells just happen to be a certain color.

I have no idea what you mean. The dewomer is always the same color for a caster, and it's the same color's as Z's.

Shale
2011-08-16, 12:00 PM
...Yea he does. He knows about the gates, remember? And he found out WHILE ROY WAS RIGHT NEXT TO HIM.

Yes, but he doesn't realize that's why they're on the Western Continent. He thinks they're there to seek out and eliminate their recurring annoyance hated enemies, the Linear Guild.

derfenrirwolv
2011-08-16, 12:06 PM
It was green, and thats Zz drizzt's color, but how would T'zz ird know about the illusion in that spot? Is Girard (or his group) using Nale to topple Tarquin's evil regime?

Gift Jeraff
2011-08-16, 12:37 PM
It looks like he could be scrying on Mr. Scruffy, not the spot in the desert. My guess Z scryed on V or someone, saw that there was a housecat in the party, and decided it would be easier to scry on an animal.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everybody's who's read strip 801 has made the connection that was Nale spying on them.

Maxios
2011-08-16, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure everybody's who's read strip 801 has made the connection that was Nale spying on them.

I feel like a moron now :smalltongue:

Honestly, I can't believe I didn't realize it was Zz'drit spying on them until now :eek:

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 01:09 PM
I feel like a moron now :smalltongue:

Honestly, I can't believe I didn't realize it was Zz'drit spying on them until now :eek:

Really? I thought when Nale dropped the fact he knew they were in the desert everybody would just connect it to the glowing eye. Guess not.

snikrept
2011-08-16, 01:46 PM
Interesting that Zz'dtri chooses mr. scruffy as the target of the spell though, instead of Elan. Or is there something about scrying that only looks at the location where the target has been a few minutes prior?

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-16, 01:52 PM
Interesting that Zz'dtri chooses mr. scruffy as the target of the spell though, instead of Elan. Or is there something about scrying that only looks at the location where the target has been a few minutes prior?

I highly doubt that Z would specifically Why WOULDN'T Z scry on the most powerful member of the Order? Mr. Scruffy is like a GOD!

snikrept
2011-08-16, 01:55 PM
It does seem to be circumstantial evidence that Mr. Scruffy is more than he seems. Unless there have been other offpanel scryings, the only way the linear guild would know he's even a part of the team is if the IFCC told them specifically, and if the IFCC thinks Scruffy is important, then :smalleek:

Palthera
2011-08-16, 01:59 PM
Is there any reason this is "scrying" rather than "prying eyes"? I know the range is much shorter on prying eyes but they are both visible (if hard to spot) and move around on instructions, rather than moving to a specific person or place.

Wanda V'Orcus
2011-08-16, 02:00 PM

Wouldn't you want to scry on the only member of the intended target party who couldn't tell anyone else about the presence of the eye?? :smalltongue:

Also, I guess this means it wasn't Sauron after all... :smallamused:

Cheers, JohnH / Wanda

EmperorSarda
2011-08-16, 02:53 PM
Most likely it was Z. scrying on V. in the desert. Mother Black Dragon did point out that V never did protect hirself from being scrying on. And we have seen no indication that V. has not started shielding against scrying, not that we have seen.

Nale is too egotistical to think that they aren't after Girard but after him.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 03:15 PM
Don't you need to know a certain amount of knowledge about the person you're scrying on? Why would he choose the cat? Did they even know the Order had Scruffy?

VanBuren
2011-08-16, 03:54 PM
Don't you need to know a certain amount of knowledge about the person you're scrying on? Why would he choose the cat? Did they even know the Order had Scruffy?

Scruffy knows all, and because I failed math, it works in reverse as well.

All knows Scruffy.

SowZ
2011-08-16, 05:02 PM

He knows about the gates, though, so he can probably deduce it once he learns that they weren't actually looking for him.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 05:04 PM
Scruffy knows all, and because I failed math, it works in reverse as well.

All knows Scruffy.

Really, 'cause it sure don't look like he knows how to kill a dog (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html).

VanBuren
2011-08-16, 05:58 PM
Really, 'cause it sure don't look like he knows how to kill a dog (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0792.html).

To your fragile mortal mind, perhaps. Just wait. Scruffy's plan is yet to come to frution. Frusi- Fru- Frutition. Fr-

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-16, 06:09 PM

Wait, the good Doctor Epic is NOT a member of the Mr. Scruffy cult? Nooooooooooo! :smalleek: Also, he cant reveal himself in-panel. That would enlighten those not yet ready. :smallbiggrin:

Gift Jeraff
2011-08-16, 06:14 PM
I can't believe there would actually be a meme on these boards more annoying than O-Chul Facts. :smalleek:

Tebryn
2011-08-16, 06:22 PM
Wait, the good Doctor Epic is NOT a member of the Mr. Scruffy cult? Nooooooooooo! :smalleek: Also, he cant reveal himself in-panel. That would enlighten those not yet ready. :smallbiggrin:

He never said what kind of Epic he was a doctor of.

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-16, 06:25 PM
I can't believe there would actually be a meme on these boards more annoying than O-Chul Facts. :smalleek:

O-Chul has a pet Super-Advanced Flying Dinosaur. O-Chul is actually Mr. Scruffy's human prophet.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 06:50 PM

ARGH! Again with these dumb character worships. Mr. Scruffy is just a cat and That Guy with a Halberd is just a jerk with a halberd. That's right, I'm going there. What ya gonna do 'bout it, huh?:smallamused:

Mutant Sheep
2011-08-16, 06:58 PM
ARGH! Again with these dumb character worships. Mr. Scruffy is just a cat and That Guy with a Halberd is just a jerk with a halberd. That's right, I'm going there. What ya gonna do 'bout it, huh?:smallamused:

I thought you were The Guy with a Halberd after he jumped in the rift! :smalleek: You calling yourself a jerk?

VanBuren
2011-08-16, 07:04 PM

Don't force the One True and Holy Scruffy to hork up a Vorpal hairball on you.

Onikani
2011-08-16, 07:49 PM
It does seem to be circumstantial evidence that Mr. Scruffy is more than he seems. Unless there have been other offpanel scryings, the only way the linear guild would know he's even a part of the team is if the IFCC told them specifically, and if the IFCC thinks Scruffy is important, then...

The target of the scry gets a will save (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm).
It's that simple, even as an animal companion, Mr Scruffy would have the lowest will save in the party...

Animal Companions have poor will saves, based off their HD (which is based off the HD of their owner).
We know that Belkar is at least Ranger 9 since he has evasion - which would make his druid level is 6 (ranger level -3). This gives Mr Scruffy 4 bonus HD, adding 2 to his will save for a whopping total of +3.

Balkar is atleast level 11 (Ranger 9/Barb 2) so assuming the OotS is actually level 12 their base saves (and some notes) would be:

Belkar: +4
Durkon: +8 (most likely +12-13 after wisdom adjustment)
Elan: +8 (but could be 7-9 depending on Dashing Swordsman)
Haley: +4
Roy: +4 (probably +5-6, i'll bet his Wisdom is 12-14)
V: +8

So not only does Mr Scruffy have the lowest bonus (making him the most likely to fail a save), but as mentioned, he is unable to tell anyone if he actually succeeds on his save.
:D

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 07:55 PM
I thought you were The Guy with a Halberd after he jumped in the rift! :smalleek: You calling yourself a jerk?

As if. I'm way too attractive to be that guy.

Don't force the One True and Holy Scruffy to hork up a Vorpal hairball on you.

Pff. I have defect arrows so I can easily counter any projectile he fires at me.

Leecros
2011-08-16, 08:22 PM
Pff. I have defect arrows so I can easily counter any projectile he fires at me.

defect arrows? I didn't know you could cause an arrow to change allegiances...

The Giant
2011-08-17, 11:19 PM
This thread has become about 80% spam.

Thread closed.