PDA

View Full Version : Raptor Arrows and hiding

Phoenix10k
2011-08-16, 02:16 PM
So, here's the deal.

In the AEG D20 sourcebook "Wilds" there's a PrC called Shadow Striker. The idea is to make a bow ranger into a sniper by allowing him to make a hide check in tandem with each shot to remain hidden. Anytime the target is denied their DEX bonus, such as being flat-footed against a hidden assailant, the Shadow Striker gets sneak attack damage.

I recently acquired a single Raptor Arrow (MIC p56) which has a "returning"-like quality. At the beginning of the round AFTER you fired the arrow, it flies up into the air, returns to you, then restrings itself on your bow.

Logically, it seems like this might betray your hiding spot, but there doesn't seem to be any specific ruling regarding it. Could the arrow just be too small and slender to watch as it flies away? How would you rule it?

Flickerdart
2011-08-16, 02:24 PM
Magical ammunition is destroyed on impact, so it would only come back if you miss. If your DM overrules this, the teleporting property is the same as returning except the weapon teleports back to you, circumventing the issue.

Phoenix10k
2011-08-16, 02:29 PM
Magical ammunition is destroyed on impact, so it would only come back if you miss. If your DM overrules this, the teleporting property is the same as returning except the weapon teleports back to you, circumventing the issue.

Normally, yes. This particular item is an exception. That's why I made sure to add that line of description to the item and include its MIC page number. Let me re-title the post so as to not confuse anyone. Sorry.

At the beginning of the round after it is fired from a bow, a raptor arrow flies through the air and restrings itself on the bow from which it was fired. Unlike most ammunition, raptor arrows are not destroyed when used.

Keld Denar
2011-08-16, 02:32 PM
Raptor Arrows are a Relic, and have a special exception to the "always breaks" clause.

As far as seeing it, it is what, a size tiny or fine item, which carries a spot penalty, and then there is the penalty for distance (which should be figured at the total distance between the two of you). The shootee would have to make a pretty hefty spot check to locate you, but it would technically be possible.

At the bare minimum, he should be able to figure out from which direction you are shooting from, but thats obvious by which side of your body the gaping holes are appearing on!

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-16, 03:31 PM
Maybe pay to have a wizard cast invisibility and permanency on it?

Nefreet
2011-08-16, 10:20 PM
I'm trying to discern what size an arrow actually is. On table 9-10 in the PH it says that a scroll is "diminutive" and a potion is "fine", but no mention of an arrow. I would be more inclined to rule that a rolled-up scroll is similar to an arrow in width and length, so would an arrow have a size modifier of +4 to its "hide" check?

And just so I'm clear, say you shot this arrow from 30-feet away, thus imposing a -3 spot penalty to the spotter. He'd likely be distracted, too (another -5). Would that mean that spotting said arrow would only be a DC of 12?

Fitz10019
2011-08-17, 01:09 AM
I think an arrow is at least twice the length of a rolled up scroll. Remember that when the bow is fully extended, the arrow spans from string to just beyond the bow handle, which is about the distance from the fist of your fully stretched arm to your chin.

I would approach the main question differently, however. When you hide, all your possessions are hidden, too. I think the arrow would become your possession again, so the only effect would be a circumstance bonus to the spotter's Spot check.

As said, they would definitely know the direction.

There seems to be an oversite in that item description. What damage is done when it leaves the body to return to the bow?