PDA

View Full Version : Soul Eater!

Elrik
2011-08-16, 02:29 PM
I didn't see a thread for Soul Eater and I was disappointed in all of you.

After Bleach got a little too repetitive for me (the point where Gin betrays Aizen, if I recall correctly) I started looking for another manga to jump onto, and found that I'm a pretty nit picky person. I couldn't get into naruto or one piece (sorry op fans, I tried) and gave up.

Then a few months ago, I found Soul Eater.

Very cool stuff, I'm currently reading through chapter 89.

Yay, Asura is back! :smallsmile:

He was on the moon, Maka finds him via soul perception. It looks like they'll have to deal with Chrona too, and Noah as well (who is currently going through his wraith incarnation, I believe).

I'm sort of hoping Medusa is put to rest this time. Any more "just as planned" stuff and she might hit Light Yagami level. I think another antagonist should fill the void, to be honest.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 03:13 PM
Haven't read the manga, I've seen most of the anime. I got kind of distracted at one point and never finished it. I should one of these days just to complete it. The plot and characters though did start to annoy me after a certain point, but I should at least finish it so I can see how the series measures up as a whole.

Obrysii
2011-08-16, 03:18 PM
Found it on Netflix. I love the English dub (Maka sounds so cute), and the story is pretty cool. I like the pseudo-Halloween thing going on.

Kato
2011-08-16, 03:25 PM
Watched the anime. It was okay but the ending kind of ruined it for me... (Well, it was more than okay, it was really neat but this ending :smallannoyed: Oh my goodness...)

I started the manga but got distracted... I think I'll see to finishing it... sometime this year... maybe.

TheThan
2011-08-16, 04:29 PM
Found it on Netflix. I love the English dub (Maka sounds so cute), and the story is pretty cool. I like the pseudo-Halloween thing going on.

The English dub is ALL about Excalibur.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 04:40 PM
The English dub is ALL about Excalibur.

You mean the Jar Jar of the series? Seriously, that guy angered me beyond belief!:smallfurious:

TheThan
2011-08-16, 05:10 PM
You mean the Jar Jar of the series? Seriously, that guy angered me beyond belief!:smallfurious:

Excalibur was freaking hilarious, sure he was obnoxious and nobody in the series could stand him, but that was the point. He was a super powerful weapon that nobody could wield due to his personality. Jar Jar by comparison was just a dancing, juggling, bunny suited clown that everyone ignored (even the audience).

Now if you don't like him (Excalibur) that's fine, humor is a vastly personal thing.

Jamin
2011-08-16, 05:21 PM
FOOL!!! Excalibur is awesome

Jamin
2011-08-16, 05:25 PM
FOOL!!! Excalibur is awesome

Kato
2011-08-16, 05:36 PM
Excalibur was... jarring... he was... uhm... it depended. He was fun at times and just obnoxious at others. I liked Stein a lot. I liked a lot of characters but I guess Stein was a bit of a favorite. (Though, they should have named him Frank N. Stein but meh)

Dr.Epic
2011-08-16, 06:55 PM
Excalibur was freaking hilarious, sure he was obnoxious and nobody in the series could stand him, but that was the point. He was a super powerful weapon that nobody could wield due to his personality. Jar Jar by comparison was just a dancing, juggling, bunny suited clown that everyone ignored (even the audience).

Now if you don't like him (Excalibur) that's fine, humor is a vastly personal thing.

He was beyond annoying to me. It's difficult to take a plot serious (which most animes do with a continuous linear plot) when you have an annoyingly over-the-top comic relief. Not to mention, I've always thought of Excalibur as one of the most powerful swords in just general mythology (isn't that why it's always the most powerful sword in RPGs?:smallwink:) and to have this PAINFULLY annoying character be the embodiment of the weapon seemed like a huge insult.

Forum Explorer
2011-08-16, 06:57 PM
Excalibur was... jarring... he was... uhm... it depended. He was fun at times and just obnoxious at others. I liked Stein a lot. I liked a lot of characters but I guess Stein was a bit of a favorite. (Though, they should have named him Frank N. Stein but meh)

As I don't think they ever actually mentioned his middle name I like to think it starts with a N. :smallcool:

Excalibur was entertaining and annoying. But he was only in 3 episodes really and showed up briefly in another. So his little screentime maximized his entertainment while minimizing his annoyance in my opinon.

I haven't read the manga because I heard some spoilers about Crona and I really liked how the Anime handled him and his relationship to Medusa and I don't like what I've heard about the Manga's way of handling it.

Crona in my opinion is emo done right.

Kurgan
2011-08-16, 07:24 PM
Haven't read the manga, but I watched the anime.

My opinions:

-Excalibur: awesome
-Black Star: most obnoxious character ever, with a few hints of interest spread throughout the series.
-Medusa: excellent villain, terrible person

I would have rathered her die for real while freeing the keishan than spending the second half of the series plotting offscreen in the body of a child though. While interesting, it really didn't do anything outside of Crona and Stein.

-Arachne: one of the dullest villains I have seen.

All she did through the show is sit there and exclaim that everything was going as planned. Her only redeeming quality was that she had chainsaw man as her sidekick.

That said, I hear that the anime was finished before the manga (which I think is still running, right guys?), and so they just slopped on an ending. An ending I didn't particularly like. Still, overall, enjoyable show.

Unrelated, but have you guys seen the Smash Brothers crossover openings?
First opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPlil2QlTUA)
Second opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kua87H0p5nA)

I found it interesting how well they mesh together.

Elrik
2011-08-16, 08:55 PM
-Medusa: excellent villain, terrible person

I would have rathered her die for real while freeing the keishan than spending the second half of the series plotting offscreen in the body of a child though. While interesting, it really didn't do anything outside of Crona and Stein.

I've read the manga but haven't seen any of the Anime episodes.

If you're interested in Medusa's wherabouts as of late (and okay with reading spoilers):

She's dead. Or at least, I hope so. She's been going through the heroes effortlessly with her manipulative nature and I'm afraid if she pulls anymore "Just as I planned" moments she's going to hit Villain Sue status.

So, as it turns out, Medusa desired to complete her research on the Black Blood (y'know, the stuff that increases someone's insanity, and their chance of being a kishin). So she acted in a motherly and supportive fashion to Crona. Crona, not understanding Medusa's intentions, took the gestures of dinner and kindness as trolling and flew into a rage. Crona ends up curbstomping Medusa and slicing her into several pieces, but the witch reveals that she needed to confuse and enrage Crona so He/She would give in to the BB by killing the only other human that meant something to him/her. Crona is added to the shinigami's list and the spartoi are tasked to executing him/her.

That said, I still really liked Medusa and found her to be a cool and cunning antagonist. I just hope she either stays cut up or comes back with just less of a winning streak. Even Xanatos lost at least once or twice, and Aizen went mad with power before his cunning could do any real damage.

That said, I hear that the anime was finished before the manga (which I think is still running, right guys?), and so they just slopped on an ending. An ending I didn't particularly like. Still, overall, enjoyable show.

Well, the manga just hit chapter 89, a few days ago I think. At this point it looks like there are going to be a few wham-episode moments too, which I am excited about.

Forum Explorer
2011-08-16, 10:51 PM
I'm actually rewatching the anime and I'm near the end. Also because I like the ending, (Though I agree that its really weird and kinda unsatisfying) I would like to hear the reasons why its a bad ending and with the events in the Anime how should it have ended?

Some of the best lines

"Special Attack: Coffee Table Flip!"

Asura: "Oh its you Excalibur. Don't worry Madness is enough"

Excalibur: "Fool!"

Asura: "Aww, I've missed you too."

Kato
2011-08-17, 05:31 AM
As I don't think they ever actually mentioned his middle name I like to think it starts with a N. :smallcool:

Nah, any source names him as Franken Stein which is just of because Franken is opposed to Frank not a name anyone would have (okay, wait, I'm complaining about that in a show with Death the Kid, Soul Eater, Black Star and... Ox Ford, was it?) Still, it'd been nice.

As for the ending... okay, maybe not entirely horrible but just massively unsatisfying. Sorry, power of friendship my ****. I'd really need to read the manga to know what the real ending is supposed to be and (and heaven forbid it's something along the same lines)

Dr.Epic
2011-08-17, 04:33 PM
I liked Stein a lot. I liked a lot of characters but I guess Stein was a bit of a favorite. (Though, they should have named him Frank N. Stein but meh)

Oh, I hated Stein too. This is a bit of a more personal note, but Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is one of my favorite novels of all time, and to see this horrible (for lack of a better word) representation of the character was a huge slap in the face to the original book. Frankenstein (the novel) was a deep, well written work that explored the human psyche, isolation, what it meant to be human, and other complex themes. And Soul Eater took that and made it a lame character that just liked to cut people up. That one stop motion show on Adult Swim better captured the ideas of Mary Shelley's work more that this character, and when a network that's made such shows like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, 12 Oz. Mouse, and Aqua Unit Patrol Squad better captures a Victorian classic better than your work, you're doing something wrong.

Speaking of characters that annoyed me there's Black Star and Death the Kid. Black Star I actually liked at the start of the series. He seemed sort of like Aang from Avatar and I liked his fighting style better than anyone else. But his backstory angered me. Not that is was bad, but how it was played: you have this awesome backstory about how his entire family was slaughtered and the only survivor doesn't think two things about it. That's an amazing origin story and it can should make for a great character: like this person should constantly ask himself "What would have happened to me if I was just a little older? Would they have killed me and thought nothing of it?" That's an amazing backstory for like an antihero/antvillain/villain. Someone who's constant asking himself what it means to be good, is good/evil a relative thing, how good can a group be that just slaughters an entire family leaving an orphan behind, are we all just victims of our environment, and how can you really know what's good evil? But no, he's just a hyperactive kid, and then he gets even more annoying and starts challenging everyone to fights and is all angsty.

Death the Kid, he did sort of an opposite thing with Black Star. I hated his character at the start of the series, and started to hate him less, but can't really say I liked him. His one joke - his obsessive nature about everything be symmetrical - was played to too extreme lengths where it interfered with him being a component character. I'm fine with a disfunctional character with extreme comic tendencies, but on a series that's supposed to be serious, it doesn't work. Not to mention the way he held his guns. No, just no: holding guns upside down makes it harder to aim and makes it harder to pull the trigger. It does look cool, and it's just annoying to see.

Death, at first I hated him because of how he appeared all cartoon-looking, nonsensical, and nonthreatening, but they actually give him a reason for this which I thought was pretty cleaver.

Kato
2011-08-17, 05:39 PM
Not too argue but maybe you just take it a bit too serious.

Frankenstein is just a popular character and I don't think they evenm tried to make Franken an expy, even if he has his issues about his... looming insanity or what it was. but really, expecting an obviously comedic manga to do credit to a novel... meh.

Black Star... it's been too long. wasn't there some arc about his feelings? I really think it would have entirely riuned the mood if he was some brooding guy who kept wondering about stupid stuff like 'will I be like my family' or was it evil people murdering my obviously evil family'? Honestly, in this case things are really... not that ambigious.

Death the Kid.-... yeah, he pretty much had only the one joke... I still recall liking him but I don't know why. About the guns... well... how often do action stars hold their guns sideways? it's really pretty much the same... it looks different and it's just comedy.

Thrawn183
2011-08-17, 05:49 PM
I really liked the series up until Arachne. Then the main characters started to sink too far into darkness and I couldn't really tell why I was supposed to want them to win anymore.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-17, 07:02 PM
Not too argue but maybe you just take it a bit too serious.

Honestly, when you have 50+ episodes in a linear story, isn't the point to take it seriously? I mean, I love Adventure Time, and it's far more nonsensical, but with 10 minute plots for each episode that don't overlap into the next episode (possible exception the 13 year old PB plot) you know you're not supposed to take it serious. I have a hard time just ignoring the over the top nonsense in a show that seems to be building to some epic climax like most animes do.

Frankenstein is just a popular character and I don't think they evenm tried to make Franken an expy, even if he has his issues about his... looming insanity or what it was. but really, expecting an obviously comedic manga to do credit to a novel... meh.

As I said, this was more a personal note to me, but still the show is ignoring everything that made the novel so great. It reduces a great character and plot to a lame obsession.

Black Star... it's been too long. wasn't there some arc about his feelings? I really think it would have entirely riuned the mood if he was some brooding guy who kept wondering about stupid stuff like 'will I be like my family' or was it evil people murdering my obviously evil family'? Honestly, in this case things are really... not that ambigious.

What? You think it would have ruined the show if he'd been brooding about if he'll turn out like his family, but it didn't ruin the show when he became brooding about how he wasn't able to win that one fight and went around challenging everyone? I do think it was a great origin and it's only skimmed over. There was a lot of area to explore like are we the way we are because of our upbringing, do we have full control over who we become, if fate hadn't interfered, could we have turned out to be a villain or hero. Not to mention I was also surprised Black Star never seemed angry over the slaughter of his family. Evil or not, they created you and would have raised you. That should also play a factor into his character: how can someone be evil when they loved me? These points could have created a very deep character that rose a lot of questions. But no, we got someone so hyper that made Aang from Avatar look patient and serious.

Also, even overlooking the lack of attention to his backstory, he still got beyond annoying when he lost that fight, always moping around and whining.

Death the Kid.-... yeah, he pretty much had only the one joke... I still recall liking him but I don't know why. About the guns... well... how often do action stars hold their guns sideways? it's really pretty much the same... it looks different and it's just comedy.

Yeah, I disagree: you can't compare holding a guy sideways to holding it upside down. While I hate both methods, at least sideways you have a better sense of aim and you're pulling the trigger with your index finger which is a lot easier than with your pinky.

Xondoure
2011-08-17, 07:59 PM
I seem to have lost track of whats going on in the manga to the point where I feel maybe just waiting for the series to end and reading from the beginning would be more productive.

Kato
2011-08-18, 04:22 AM
Honestly, when you have 50+ episodes in a linear story, isn't the point to take it seriously? I mean, I love Adventure Time, and it's far more nonsensical, but with 10 minute plots for each episode that don't overlap into the next episode (possible exception the 13 year old PB plot) you know you're not supposed to take it serious. I have a hard time just ignoring the over the top nonsense in a show that seems to be building to some epic climax like most animes do.
Dunno... well, it got to this towards the end and it ended in a disaster *mumble* but I really liked it more while it was just action, comedy and a little fanservice. That's what it was good as and that's what I liked it for.

As I said, this was more a personal note to me, but still the show is ignoring everything that made the novel so great. It reduces a great character and plot to a lame obsession.

Except it never said it had anything to do with the novel ^^' But well.

[...Blackstar...]

Just in case...

Well, except the show really never was that much about any deep development apart from the 'let's all be nice and friends' stuff. Black Star dwelling on the fact whether he was bound to be evil (which he obviously is not, why the hell would I be evil because my family was evil?) or whether it was a bad thing for people to kill my family that has been established as a band of bandits, killers and murderers. Those guys were the worst and whatever redeeming qualities they might have had there are probably few people who deserved death more than them.
As I said, it's been too long but for what I can recall, but wasn't there an episode where his dad or so showed up as a zombie or whatever and all he had to say to Blak Star was what a failure he was?
Also, I can't recall that much long term whining. Yeah, he got sulky after he lost that fight but he wanted to be the strongest and he got pissy over that. It was annoying but it was kind of in character.

Yeah, I disagree: you can't compare holding a guy sideways to holding it upside down. While I hate both methods, at least sideways you have a better sense of aim and you're pulling the trigger with your index finger which is a lot easier than with your pinky.
Of course it is. But really, realism in a show about people turning into weapons and magical cat witches? For all I care he could have shot with his toes, it wouldn't have been any less weird and that's really all it was about.

But sorry, I don't want to dwell on it too much. Can we just agree on disagreeing? :smallsmile:

Brother Oni
2011-08-18, 06:17 AM
I've watched the whole anime and while the imagery was excellent, the themes were only ok and the ending annoyed the hell out of me.

Fine I can accept the moral of the ending is: courage (Maka) defeats fear (Asura), but in his fear, Asura gathered power, so the moral is that courage defeats everything, which is just absurd as there's not a chance in hell that Maka and Soul should be able to take on anybody of Death's power level (which Asura was) and win without plot fiat.

To paraphrase a quote from another series, it's like an ant trying to fight God. Sure the ant can be defiant to the end, but it's still squashed with barely a thought.

Forum Explorer
2011-08-18, 06:08 PM
I've watched the whole anime and while the imagery was excellent, the themes were only ok and the ending annoyed the hell out of me.

Fine I can accept the moral of the ending is: courage (Maka) defeats fear (Asura), but in his fear, Asura gathered power, so the moral is that courage defeats everything, which is just absurd as there's not a chance in hell that Maka and Soul should be able to take on anybody of Death's power level (which Asura was) and win without plot fiat.

To paraphrase a quote from another series, it's like an ant trying to fight God. Sure the ant can be defiant to the end, but it's still squashed with barely a thought.

I like to think of it as this: Asura was too powerful for anyone but the Grim Reaper to defeat. However once something happened that he couldn't accept, his insanity caused him basically destroy himself. If he wasn't insane/a massive coward then he would have easily won. I imagine that Black Star kept getting up as well but because he was much more powerful then Maka it fit into Asura's worldview and he kept beating Black Star until he literally could not move.

Obrysii
2011-08-18, 10:27 PM
Honestly, when you have 50+ episodes in a linear story, isn't the point to take it seriously?

N-no. Not with an manga that is two-parts "wut." comedy and one-part action. Soul Eater appears to be balanced more towards the clever and the amusing over the serious and straight-forward.

For crying out loud, look at what Death looks like. And acts. Look at how the moon and sun are drawn. This isn't a series to be taken seriously.

To be fair, Frank N. Stein is going more off the stereotypical "mad scientist" trope than it is the novel. It just happens that popular media (re: Hollywood) has come to depict Frankenstein as the stereotypical mad scientist type.

Dr.Epic
2011-08-19, 09:20 PM
spoiler'd for length.

Dunno... well, it got to this towards the end and it ended in a disaster *mumble* but I really liked it more while it was just action, comedy and a little fanservice. That's what it was good as and that's what I liked it for.

For me, I judge a story on characters, plot, and setting. Yeah, you can take into account other stuff like humor, morals, and theme, but these usually stem from one of the three I just mentioned. Now, I'm perfectly fine with a bad plot so long as it's intentional. Like, I'm never going to hate a really funny comedy for a bad storyline. That's kind of the point. So as you say Soul Eater isn't about plot. Then why have these cliffhanger endings, a linear story, and a plot that builds up this apocalypse scenario? Why not just have the episodes end with and ending. No the heroes/villains are getting closer to their goals or the ticking clock is about to run out of time. An action series can be this. Look at a lot of a superhero cartoons that based they episodes around one plot that ended in one episode and didn't run into the next. What it comes down to is by setting up this elaborate plot that stretches over 50 episodes it give the impression I should care about the story and take it seriously. I can't do that with comedy and fanservice as you put it. A joke isn't supposed to be that long. It's supposed to be a few minutes at most and have a punchline. 51 episodes; what's that...22 minutes per episode, let's say 20 minutes what with opening and ending theme. So 51 times 20 divided by 60 is 17 hours. The Lord of the Rings wasn't that long. Really, you can't have this ultra-complex, long plot and over the top humor. The two don't mix. It doesn't work.

Except it never said it had anything to do with the novel ^^' But well.

It's a mad scientist named after the title character of the novel. It'd be like me making a story about a character named Fro Do who was a member of a tiny race and saying "No, no. This isn't a reference at all to J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings.":smallwink: Like I said, this is a personal note to me, and I'm sure people feel different, but this isn't the first time I've seen this. Can you even name the countless times the creation has been depicted as a shambling idiot? He was a depressed, intelligent being! Yeah, yeah, tons of Victorian novels (and other classics) have been butchered in similar fashions, but Frankenstien is one of my favorite books. Just some indication they knew the source material. Mad scientist that likes to cut creatures up...ask anyone (even people who've never read the book) and they could tell you that. I guess what it comes down to for me at least is if you're going to reference something at least show you know the subject. I mentioned Frankenhole earlier, and you know, the creators showed they knew the source material to some extent. Victor Frankenstien appeared somewhat like the novel's character (yeah, with a comic twist), the creation acted like he did in the book, and they even included Victor's love interest Elizabeth. Really at least show you know the materials and don't just pull a Friedberg-Seltzer.

Just in case...

Well, except the show really never was that much about any deep development apart from the 'let's all be nice and friends' stuff. Black Star dwelling on the fact whether he was bound to be evil (which he obviously is not, why the hell would I be evil because my family was evil?) or whether it was a bad thing for people to kill my family that has been established as a band of bandits, killers and murderers. Those guys were the worst and whatever redeeming qualities they might have had there are probably few people who deserved death more than them.
As I said, it's been too long but for what I can recall, but wasn't there an episode where his dad or so showed up as a zombie or whatever and all he had to say to Blak Star was what a failure he was?
Also, I can't recall that much long term whining. Yeah, he got sulky after he lost that fight but he wanted to be the strongest and he got pissy over that. It was annoying but it was kind of in character.

Then why even give him that backstory?:smallconfused:

If you're going to give such a dark, dramatic origin to a character it should be a major part of the character's psyche and mannerisms. Look at Maka. She had a neglectful, lecherous father that cheated all the time. Such an upbringing is reflected upon in the character we see in the show and you know what: I actually think the character is pretty well written (though Soul always talking about being a cool guy drove on my nerves:smallannoyed:). This characteristic of her upbringing reflects the character we see.

Also consider just about ever comic book character origin story: Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Harvey Dent, Mr. Freeze. They've all experienced a tragic lost in their lives from someone close. And that lost shaped them and led them in some way to the world of crime, either aiding or hindering it.

Lastly, while I'm talking about comic book characters, consider Loki from the recent Thor film. His backstory is basically that of Black Star. And when Loki finds this out, we see how it affects. He just can't continue living his normal life. It has a deep impact on his mind. Unlike some people how just go around saying "I'm the biggest star ever! What my autograph?"

And as for againsty Star, I do consider it annoying. It showed how arrogant he was. He's shown he's not perfect, can't except the fact, and lashes out at everyone. Now that I think of it, the guy's almost a selfish villain. Doesn't think a second thought about the death of all his kinsman and constantly goes around shouting he's the best. And once he's shown how human he is, he goes around picking fights to make up for his insecurity. Guy's basically a bully. If you want to show something in character, how about him swallowing his pride and asking for training so he can become the best?

Of course it is. But really, realism in a show about people turning into weapons and magical cat witches? For all I care he could have shot with his toes, it wouldn't have been any less weird and that's really all it was about.

How about an explanation then? Yeah, I know all this is purely fictional, really fantasy in essence, but I'm not going to question the setting. I'm just going to let my suspension of disbelief kick. I'm never going to question elves in Middle Earth, or Jedi in Star Wars. It's the mythology of the setting, but what is the reason a character is using a weapon in an unorthodox and impractical manner? Why not just use it the way it's supposed to be used? What, do they hurt more when you fire them like that? They're just normal pistols (with the exception teenage girls turned into them) so why is he using them upside down? Why not just make a character that uses a sword by griping the sharp, metal blade?

But sorry, I don't want to dwell on it too much. Can we just agree on disagreeing? :smallsmile:

No, because this is the internet and I'm an insecure little man-child who has nothing better to do than waste his time and argue about things in a cartoon that make no sense for no good reason.:smallannoyed::smallconfused::smalleek: I think I need to rethink major aspects of my life now.

P.S.
Things I actually do like about the show so you don't think I'm just flaming and to show I can be civil:
-Maka is well written like I said. In fact, I don't really have a problem with most of the female leads. Maybe that's because I respect them so much for putting up with these men and their over the top comedic characteristics.
-The first three episodes set up the series in a creative way (if the rest of the episodes had been like this I wouldn't be complaining so much).
-The concept of people turning into weapons is pretty cool.
-Weapons become death scythes with the collection of 99 souls and 1 witch; I'm a Munchkin and love this aspect of slaughtering others that are just basically XP fodder (the show basically admits this) and getting awesome power ups!:smallbiggrin:
-It has a kind of neat gothic, Halloween theme almost like that in the Nightmare Before Christmas.
-Death is pretty original comical and his appearance, while annoying at first, is given a creative, cleaver, and humorous reason. After Death from Neil Gaiman's Sandman, he's probably the most creative personification of Death there is.

Terry576
2011-08-21, 02:02 PM
Just so you guys know, his name is Franken Stein. It's just everyone calls him Stein, or Doctor Stein, so you never ever ever hear his first name.

Photographs, or it did not occur.

http://9.p.s.mfcdn.net/store/manga/252/01-001.2/compressed/manga_rain_souleater_ch01_61.jpg

Let's see, I like Manga!Star better than Anime!Star. Mostly because of that one scene during Arachne in the manga where black star fights Mifune again and

They both agree that the other is powerful, and Mifune acknowledges Black Star as an equal, so they fight to the death to prove who the better Swordsman is.

It's far better than the anime. Far, far, better.

Psyren
2011-08-21, 05:37 PM
As far as Annoying Team Pets go, I found Excalibur far more tolerable than most. I only rank Kon, Timcanpy and Happy ahead of him to be honest.

I haven't read the manga yet though so I'll be avoiding this thread :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-08-21, 09:46 PM
Just so you guys know, his name is Franken Stein. It's just everyone calls him Stein, or Doctor Stein, so you never ever ever hear his first name.

I thought Franken was his first name. Why else would it be separated by a space and the s in Stein is capitalized.

Terry576
2011-08-22, 01:04 AM
I thought Franken was his first name. Why else would it be separated by a space and the s in Stein is capitalized.

I saw multiple instances of Frank N. Stein in this thread and it bothered me greatly. :smallannoyed:

AND NOW BACK TO CHAPTER 13 OF SOUL EATER

Forum Explorer
2011-08-22, 01:28 AM
I saw multiple instances of Frank N. Stein in this thread and it bothered me greatly. :smallannoyed:

AND NOW BACK TO CHAPTER 13 OF SOUL EATER

Frank N. Stein is what we would have preferred his name to be instead.

Terry576
2011-08-22, 01:52 AM
Ah yes, because the name Frank clearly strikes fear into the hearts and minds of foes. :smalltongue: Also they needed a not very subtle pun for his name. :smallwink:

Forum Explorer
2011-08-22, 02:17 AM
Ah yes, because the name Frank clearly strikes fear into the hearts and minds of foes. :smalltongue: Also they needed a not very subtle pun for his name. :smallwink:

But then he would have had the most normal name in the entire academy! :smalltongue:

By the way I'm kinda intrested in reading the manga but what I've heard about how the manga handles Crona is preventing me from reading. How exactly did they handle Crona in the manga and did they do a good job? Don't worry about spoiling anything for me.

Terry576
2011-08-22, 02:54 AM
Crona's gender is permanently questionable.

That's all you really need to know.

Elrik
2011-09-14, 11:45 PM
I'm sort of curious as to when issue 90 will come out, it looks like it could be late.

DiscipleofBob
2011-09-16, 03:26 PM
Finished catching up with the manga, and only just started watching the anime.

From what I've seen, the manga is far superior. The animation and fight scenes are great in the anime, but from the sound of it they pulled a Hellsing and derailed the plot in the anime so they could get an ending while the manga was still going. I'm not sure if I should continue watching the anime or not.

Also, Black Star. In the manga, he's annoying but bearably so. The voice actor for him in the anime... I almost punched my television. Maybe the Japanese actor is better (only dub's available on Netflix).

Regarding Kid and his OCD, it annoyed me at first, but towards the end of the Book of Eibon arc they explain why Kid thinks that way in a way that I actually enjoyed:
Basically, since Kid is less human and more a fragment of an elder Cthulu-esque god, he doesn't think on relatable human terms. Instead, he places the balance of life and death above all else, and tries to put balance in everything in his life. For at least a short time, he goes ax-crazy when he's convinced that eternal nothingness would be the eternal symmetry, but at the end he realizes that it's the slight imperfections in life that make everything worth it, even his own sense of aesthetics.

Also, I doubt Medusa is permanently dead. She has a habit of having contingency plans for her survival, and the way she most recently "died" was too well planned out to be her final goodbye. Not to mention she went to all that trouble of getting Arachne's body just to suicide? Doesn't seem logical to me (Yes, I realize the irony bringing up logic in a series about INSANITY).

maximus25
2011-09-18, 12:57 AM
A Soul Eater thread? I don't know how to deal with that.

tyckspoon
2011-09-18, 01:10 AM
Stab it until it stops bothering you?

Elrik
2011-09-20, 01:04 AM
A Soul Eater thread? I don't know how to deal with that.

You can deal with it by converting to Soul Eaterism!*

I'm suprised have a Bleach thread, and personally I find it hard to believe that series is still going after a decade.

*Okay, I understand why alot of people wouldn't like Soul Eater, there are quite a few annoying characters that some find insufferable...but it's one of the few mangas that I like, and I'm still looking for "that special manga-ka" to write something I love completely.*

*Okay, I'm pretty picky when it comes to stuff I like. :smalleek:

Elrik
2011-09-22, 01:06 PM
Who is interested enough to talk about issue 90?

So, it looks like prep work so far. The team (with representative death scythes from Africa and South Asia) is getting ready to go to the moon to purge the Kishin, and Maka says goodbye to her father first.

Oh, athe ththese see the unstable (and possibly now evil) Crona, who is either hallucinating Medusa (I hope) or my personal Wesley is now back from the grave. From what it looks like the snakes put within Eruka have vanished, but Medusa may have done that on purpose if she is still alive in order to fake her death...

Crona looks particularly demonic, I hope S/He ends up coming out of this alright.

Forum Explorer
2011-09-22, 03:39 PM
I wonder if Soul Eater will do the same thing as FMA and release another anime, one that follows the manga correctly.

Elrik
2011-10-01, 01:06 AM
I wonder if Soul Eater will do the same thing as FMA and release another anime, one that follows the manga correctly.

me too, I honestly think following it so they can show Medusa's final fate would be pretty cool to see animated.