PDA

View Full Version : Handle Animal an enemy's pet?

Flickerdart
2011-08-16, 02:39 PM
I cannot locate any rules that stop you from using Handle Animal on an enemy's mount, pet or even Animal Companion. This makes having an animal very dangerous and Handle Animal even more ridiculous, and seems like something that WotC should have thought of. There's got to be a rule that forbids this somewhere - but where is it?

mootoall
2011-08-16, 03:17 PM
Look at the time it takes to Handle Animal. It is far from combat viable.

Flickerdart
2011-08-16, 03:56 PM
Action: Varies. Handling an animal is a move action, while pushing an animal is a full-round action.

If you can't spare a move action in combat, you're doing it wrong.

Vladislav
2011-08-16, 04:02 PM
Since the animal is hardly trained to go against its owner, most DMs would interpret such attempt to wrest control as "Push". DC 25 and full round action. And if you make it, he* gets to overrule you with a DC 10 check and a free action.

* assuming it's a Druid's pet we're talking about.

deuxhero
2011-08-16, 04:55 PM
You're doing it wrong.

A Paladin should be screwing over armies of horses instead!

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-16, 05:57 PM
Action: Varies. Handling an animal is a move action, while pushing an animal is a full-round action.

If you can't spare a move action in combat, you're doing it wrong.

I am pretty sure that in order to give commands to an animal it has to go through the excessively long training time.

BobVosh
2011-08-16, 06:02 PM
He is asking for RAW, logic need not apply here.
Looks like you are right Flicker. Odd.

I am pretty sure that in order to give commands to an animal it has to go through the excessively long training time.

Actually to teach it a trick it is a long training time. After it learns it, according to raw apparently, anyone can spend a move action and a DC15 to make it use the trick.

SowZ
2011-08-16, 06:24 PM
It is like trying to capture a trainers pokemon. They just bat it away...

Frosty
2011-08-16, 06:25 PM
Doesn't the "Push" option already require that the animal be friendly towards you in some fashion? It really makes sense, or else you can just "Push" Dire Wolverines to defeat them and get exp for example.

Flickerdart
2011-08-16, 06:30 PM
That's just the thing - I can't find any qualifiers on what state the animal must be in. I suppose the logical conclusion is that Handle Animal only conveys your intentions to the animal, but it is under no compulsion to actually do as you tell it. The language used could support that reading ("commanding an animal for Handle, but "get[ting] it to perform a task" for Push), but then Push can still be used on unfriendly targets.

awa
2011-08-16, 08:31 PM
at least according to the srd it appears you are correct. Although a dm would well be within their rights to shut it down it does appear to be raw.

Talya
2011-08-16, 09:01 PM
You're doing it wrong.

A Paladin should be screwing over armies of horses instead!

Unless he's a dwarven paladin. Then it's armies of sheep.

Oh wait, i missed the word "over" in there. My mistake. Carry on.

Coidzor
2011-08-17, 01:49 AM

By RAW, if your handle animal is good enough you can "Push" Wild Owlbears into no longer attacking you? :smallconfused:

Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

deuxhero
2011-08-17, 01:52 AM
Unless he's a dwarven paladin. Then it's armies of sheep.

Oh wait, i missed the word "over" in there. My mistake. Carry on.

Technically it's your mount and their "command others of [their] kind" ability.

Coidzor
2011-08-17, 01:58 AM
Technically it's your mount and their "command others of [their] kind" ability.

Which is not very impressive. Has to do it at one standard action per creature and only up to Paladin Level/2 times per day.

Once per day per two paladin levels of its master, a mount can use this ability to command other any normal animal of approximately the same kind as itself (for warhorses and warponies, this category includes donkeys, mules, and ponies), as long as the target creature has fewer Hit Dice than the mount. This ability functions like the command spell, but the mount must make a DC 21 Concentration check to succeed if it’s being ridden at the time. If the check fails, the ability does not work that time, but it still counts against the mount’s daily uses. Each target may attempt a Will save (DC 10 + ½ paladin’s level + paladin’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect.