PDA

View Full Version : Weapon proficiency (pathfinder)

Kmcdswan
2011-08-16, 03:21 PM
So as a curiosity if a player in your game wanted to play a cleric of a concept (rather than a deity) what would you do about the proficiency in your deities favored weapon.

LKMDS.

Greenish
2011-08-16, 03:25 PM
Wing it. For example:

Law - Longsword
Chaos - Greataxe
Good - Mace
Evil - Flail
Nature - Sickle
Sun - Morning Star
Sea - Trident
Magic - Quarterstaff

Fenryr
2011-08-16, 03:28 PM
Personally, I would think of a deity that is close or similar to the concept. Then grant him that favored weapon proficiency.

subject42
2011-08-16, 03:58 PM
When I had a player want to be the cleric of a concept, I just asked him what kind of weapon seemed appropriate for that concept. The answer was "hammer", so he picked a hammer and we moved on.

Since most weapons aren't crazy good compared to others, you can normally wing it unless the player wants an exotic weapon or one that has the trip or reach special qualities.

mootoall
2011-08-16, 04:16 PM
When a cleric worships a concept, he still gets his spells from a god. Pick a god whose dogma matches (or comes close to) the ideals of the cleric, and use his/her favored weapon.

Big Fau
2011-08-16, 05:30 PM
When a cleric worships a concept, he still gets his spells from a god.

No they don't. It's never stated as such in the PHB anyway.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-16, 09:03 PM
Since most weapons aren't crazy good compared to others, you can normally wing it unless the player wants an exotic weapon or one that has the trip or reach special qualities.

Just exotic weapons. It's not like it's gonna be the end of the world if the cleric chooses guisarme.

Flickerdart
2011-08-16, 09:12 PM
Exotic favored weapons won't do you any good, since War domain only gives you Martial Weapon Proficiency. As for trip or reach, your average Cleric doesn't usually bother with those things anyway.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-16, 09:27 PM
Exotic favored weapons won't do you any good, since War domain only gives you Martial Weapon Proficiency. As for trip or reach, your average Cleric doesn't usually bother with those things anyway.

In PF, clerics are automatically proficient with the favored weapon.

mootoall
2011-08-16, 09:28 PM
No they don't. It's never stated as such in the PHB anyway.

From the SRD: "Clerics gain spell power from deities or from divine forces."

Candleke
2011-08-16, 09:29 PM
Give him what he wants but keep track of it there are alot of good weapons since Ultimate Combat came out.

Andreaz
2011-08-16, 09:30 PM

It's slightly different.

In pathfinder, all clerics are automatically proficient with their deity's weapon. War domain gives something else entirely (bonus damage on certain uses/day or something like that, I think).

So...wing it. Incarnum gives you ideas for alignments(law = longsword, chaos = battleaxe, evil = flail).

Otherwise...well, wing it. Even exotic weapons are fine considering they are barely worth more than martials (even spiked chains, you silly people. They got nerfed :p).

From the SRD: "Clerics gain spell power from deities or from divine forces."

As it says, "deities or divine forces" leaves clear that it doesn't have to come from a god. The universe itself feeds you the Holy Oats.

Greenish
2011-08-16, 09:34 PM
Even exotic weapons are fine considering they are barely worth more than martials (even spiked chains, you silly people. They got nerfed :p).Spiked Chain is straight up worse than heavy flail. Worse than flail, really (5 average damage vs. 4.5 average damage, but flail can be used one-handed).

mootoall
2011-08-16, 09:35 PM
As it says, "deities or divine forces" leaves clear that it doesn't have to come from a god. The universe itself feeds you the Holy Oats.

I'd qualify that as, say, a Solar or other extraplanar creature, since there are no other divine forces specified in the rules.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-16, 09:38 PM
I'd qualify that as, say, a Solar or other extraplanar creature, since there are no other divine forces specified in the rules.

More like spells come from faith, not gods.

mootoall
2011-08-16, 10:02 PM
More like spells come from faith, not gods.

It doesn't say that. I was wrong, it specifies what "Divine Forces" are in the next few sentences. "The divine force of nature powers druid and ranger spells. The divine forces of law and good power paladin spells. Divine spells tend to focus on healing and protection and are less flashy, destructive, and disruptive than arcane spells."

So Law and Good (and presumably Evil and Chaos) and Nature are divine forces. Seeing as how planes are those ideals solidified, I'd say that it's the planes or the gods who are giving them those powers.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-16, 10:04 PM
It doesn't say that. I was wrong, it specifies what "Divine Forces" are in the next few sentences. "The divine force of nature powers druid and ranger spells. The divine forces of law and good power paladin spells. Divine spells tend to focus on healing and protection and are less flashy, destructive, and disruptive than arcane spells."

So Law and Good (and presumably Evil and Chaos) and Nature are divine forces. Seeing as how planes are those ideals solidified, I'd say that it's the planes or the gods who are giving them those powers.

Maybe they get their spells from the aligned planes if they don't get them from a god. Now I want to make outsiders that represent war and come from the planes of Ysgard and Chernogarr (4e plane for the LE god of war. I'm nit sure if the spelling is quite right).

Olo Demonsbane
2011-08-17, 12:42 AM
Awww, man. I thought this was a thread about a character using Pathfinder as a weapon :smallbiggrin:

Big Fau
2011-08-17, 06:33 AM
Awww, man. I thought this was a thread about a character using Pathfinder as a weapon :smallbiggrin:

It is for some of us.

subject42
2011-08-17, 09:36 AM

Be a barbarian
Take leadership
Take a Pathfinder Chronicler as your cohort
Take the Body Bludgeon rage power from Ultimate Combat
???
Profit!

McSmack
2011-08-17, 09:57 AM
Yeah I'd just ask the character what weapon they want, and let them have that. Considering all that a cleric can do them having proficiency in an above average weapon isn't exactly overpowering.