PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Weapons: TWF and Economical Enhancemts

Elric VIII
2011-08-16, 05:03 PM
A character I'm making will be taking TWF and Double Wand Wielder as his main offens, but I want to have a ranged weapon backup. The problem is, the only ranged weapons with which I am proficient are simple weapons.

Now, a crossbow is not that great because I am not really able to make full attacks with it. A sling can full attack, but I would like to be able to benefit from TWF. That leaves dagger and dart.

I have a few questions on this topic:

1. Are daggers or darts destroyed when they hit (like arrows/bolts)?

2. Is there a way to enhance or cast GMW on darts/daggers in bulk (groups of 50, etc) or must each one be individually enhanced?

3. Is there a weapon that can be enhanced in bulk, thrown, and is not destroyed?

4. Can I TWF with slings or crossbows?

5. Is there a magic ability that reloads crossbows and allows them to be used in full attacks?

Greenish
2011-08-16, 05:14 PM
A sling can full attackNot unless you have Quick Draw and draw a new sling for every attack, but then, that also works for crossbows. Slings are cheaper though.

1. Are daggers or darts destroyed when they hit (like arrows/bolts)?No.

2. Is there a way to enhance or cast GMW on darts/daggers in bulk (groups of 50, etc) or must each one be individually enhanced?Individually enchanted. You only get bulk prices for ammunition (or ammunition-like stuff such as shurikens).

3. Is there a weapon that can be enhanced in bulk, thrown, and is not destroyed?No.

4. Can I TWF with slings or crossbows?Yes, but both require both hands to load.

5. Is there a magic ability that reloads crossbows and allows them to be used in full attacks?Quick Loading, MIC.

tyckspoon
2011-08-16, 05:33 PM
Quick Loading, MIC.

Unfortunately still requires a hand to perform the necessary manipulation, so not enough on its own to enable a full TWF attack with crossbows. I remember mention of a couple of magic items that will give you a third hand/arm that can be used for reloading and similar manipulations, but I don't recall the actual names to search for them, and I also don't remember if they're at all price-efficient.

Elric VIII
2011-08-16, 05:41 PM
Thank you for the answers

Not unless you have Quick Draw and draw a new sling for every attack, but then, that also works for crossbows. Slings are cheaper though.

I forgot to mention I planned on using the Weapon Crystal that allows the wepaon to be drawn as a free action, since they are quite cheap.

Greenish
2011-08-16, 05:47 PM
I remember mention of a couple of magic items that will give you a third hand/arm that can be used for reloading and similar manipulations, but I don't recall the actual names to search for them, and I also don't remember if they're at all price-efficient.Spare Hand (MoE/MIC) should work if you have infusions to power it with.

There are also Arms of the Naga from Savage Species, but those were pretty expensive, I seem to recall.

I forgot to mention I planned on using the Weapon Crystal that allows the wepaon to be drawn as a free action, since they are quite cheap.600 gp per sling (300 for MW, 300 for crystal). Affordable, but quite a bit for backup weapons.

Elric VIII
2011-08-16, 06:01 PM
600 gp per sling (300 for MW, 300 for crystal). Affordable, but quite a bit for backup weapons.

Yeah, I may just invest in a MM Rod of Chain spell at higher levels and cast GMW on a bunch of mundane darts.

Just a thought, can you draw darts and throw them the same way you draw and nock an arrow without using a separate action (maybe a dart quiver)?

Greenish
2011-08-16, 06:33 PM
Just a thought, can you draw darts and throw them the same way you draw and nock an arrow without using a separate action (maybe a dart quiver)?Nope. There might be a magic item for that.

Speaking of which, Gloves of Endless Javelins are only 7000 gp.

Elric VIII
2011-08-16, 07:18 PM
Nope. There might be a magic item for that.

Speaking of which, Gloves of Endless Javelins are only 7000 gp.

Oh, hey, that could work really well.

Is there, perhaps, an item similar to the Necklace of Natural Weapons for thrown weapons?