PDA

View Full Version : Rate the 3.5 Status Ailments!

wayfare
2011-08-16, 06:21 PM
Hey All:

I'm trying to build a class that inflicts status ailments on his opponents, and was wondering how they measure up against one another.

Help me rate status ailments on a 4 point scale

0 = Eh, I've seen better (Dazzle)
1 = Irritating (Slow)
2 = Ouch (Daze)
3 = Well, that sucks (Level Drain)

For my purposes, ability damage and drain don't count as status ailments.

Thanks for the help!

--Wayfare

Circle of Life
2011-08-16, 06:27 PM
While perhaps not exactly what you were asking for, daze is commonly regarded as the deadliest condition, as basically nothing is immune to it. Stunning and paralysis are technically stronger conditions, but half of the monster manual is immune to those, so yeah.

I'd rather take a few negative levels than lose my next X turns completely with no say in it.

koscum
2011-08-16, 06:37 PM
Hey All:

I'm trying to build a class that inflicts status ailments on his opponents, and was wondering how they measure up against one another.

Help me rate status ailments on a 4 point scale

0 = Eh, I've seen better (Dazzle)
1 = Irritating (Slow)
2 = Ouch (Daze)
3 = Well, that sucks (Level Drain)

For my purposes, ability damage and drain don't count as status ailments.

Thanks for the help!

--Wayfare

Unluck = Daze - (-0.31 ÷ 0.51) depending on action(s) taken.

Unluck followed by Daze = +∞

Madcrafter
2011-08-16, 06:43 PM
0- Dazzled, Fatigued, Fascinated, Shaken, Prone, Sickened
1- Deafened, Energy Drain (Low), Entangled, Exhausted, Frightened, Nauseated, Staggered
2- Blinded, Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Energy Drain (Med), Panicked, Petrified
3- Comatose, Dying, Energy Drain (Lots), Helpless, Paralyzed, Petrified, Stunned, Unconcious
4- Dead

Done quickly, so some of them might not make sense. Some might be missing too.
As Circle of Life said though, a lot of these conditions are countered with undead, constructs, plants, oozes etc. and will definitely go up and down depending on the focus of the monster you use them on (eg. Exhausted is not as bad for spellcasters as it is for melee fighters IMO, but deafened is the opposite)

koscum
2011-08-16, 06:51 PM
Dominated could be 2 or 3, depending on who's dominated.

wayfare
2011-08-16, 11:13 PM
Thanks a lot, guys!

My idea is to create a class that primarily debuffs. If the warlock is direct damage, this class will be direct debuff.

Any other opinions would be welcome, though I think Madcrafter probably hit it on the head.

Thanks again

Madcrafter
2011-08-16, 11:21 PM
No problem. Just remember about the immunities and how that affects your ability to do things.

I'd be quite interested in seeing this when it is done, if you don't mind sending me a PM.

Quellian-dyrae
2011-08-17, 02:02 AM
I'd go with:

1: Dazzled-, Deafened, Entangled, Exhausted+, Fascinated, Fatigued, Flat Footed, Immobilized+, Prone, Shaken, Sickened.
2: Blinded-, Charmed-, Confused, Cursed-, Disabled+, Nauseated+, Staggered+.
3: Cowering, Dazed-, Dying+, Frightened-, Helpless+, Panicked, Paralyzed+, Stunned, Unconscious+.
4: Dead, Dominated, Petrified, Polymorphed (Baleful).

Where a + means it's a bit stronger than the average for that level, - meaning weaker.

Additional notes:

Energy Drained can be in any category, depending on the number of negative levels bestowed.

Entangled assumes only the stat penalties. Entangled that also binds the target counts as Immobilized, and so is 1+.

Cursed would mean the 50% chance of losing action bit of Bestow Curse. Unluck would also be there.

Dazed, as mentioned previously, is something that few targets are immune to, which makes it more useful in general.

General rule of thumb: Level 1 imposes stat penalties, Level 2 makes it difficult to contribute (flat chance of losing/failing actions or loss of certain actions), Level 3 makes it impossible to use standard actions or to control what action you take (3+ makes you helpless), and Level 4 means you're effectively dead.

wayfare
2011-08-22, 05:54 PM
Quick question: How powerful are these status ailments.

Vulnerability: A creature with the Vulnerability status takes +50% damage (rounded up) from all sources.

Cursed: A creature that has been cursed suffers a 50% chance to fail any action it takes. This failure chance is rolled before any checks are made.

NNescio
2011-08-22, 06:01 PM
Cursed: A creature that has been cursed suffers a 50% chance to fail any action it takes. This failure chance is rolled before any checks are made.

Bestow Curse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bestowCurse.htm) has a similar effect.

wayfare
2011-08-22, 08:24 PM
Bestow Curse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/bestowCurse.htm) has a similar effect.

Yep! I just wanted to give that condition a name, as was suggested a few post above!

Here are a few more conditions that I could use some help ranking:

Defiled: A defiled creature does not regain health. Normal healing or supernatural healing effects are powerless to restore damage.

Note: Defiled is not necessarily connected with negative energy. Living creatures are often defiled by negative energy, but a fire elemental might be defiled by water or cold damage. A defiled Iron Golem might be covered in a thin layer of corrosive slime.

Decaying: When a creature is exposed to the Decaying status, it is entitled to a Fortitude save to resist the effects -- failure indicates that the target takes 2 points of damage and the condition runs its course.
At the beginning of each round, the creature is entitled to another Fortitude save -- success negates any damage, while failure adds an additional 2 points of damage. This continues until the effect runs its course or the creature is dead. A creature reduced below 0 hp by decay is reduced to bone within 1 round.

Example: Rothgor the Rage Mage (42 HP) fails his first save against a 10 round Decay effect. Rothgor takes 2 damage, and must resist the Decay effect each round. Lets track Rothgor's progress

Round 1: 2 Damage
Round 2: Save
Round 3: 4 damage
Round 4: 6 Damage
Round 5: Save
Round 6: Save
Round 7: 8 damage
Round 8: 10 damage
Round 9: 12 damage (Dead)
Round 10: 14 damage (Reduced to bones)

Fragile: A fragile creature has had its body compromised in some significant way (brittle bones, scarred muscle, toxic blood, etc). Whenever a Fragile creature takes damage, it also takes 1 point of Constitution damage.

Frenzied: A Frenzied creature enters a state identical to barbarian rage, save that a frenzied creature cannot tell friend from foe and will attack the closest target until that target is dead or the Frenzy effect expires.

Stupefied: A stupefied creature halves its intelligence and charisma scores.

All opinions are welcome!

Madcrafter
2011-08-23, 01:11 AM
0-
1- Vulnerability, Frenzied, Stupefied
2- Cursed, Decaying (Stoppable), Fragile (Curable)
3- Decaying (Unstoppable), Fragile (Uncurable)

Not sure if defiled includes magical healing as well. If it can be cured, I'd put it at 1, if not, at high 2 or possibly 3. Frenzied and Stupefied go a lot higher for main casters. You can sort of go by the same guidelines as the ones before, with 1 being stat debuffs of mild inconvenience, 2 being possible loss of actions, and 3 being almost certain death.