PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew transmutation spell to pseudo-heal

Mathemagician7
2011-08-16, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure if this really belongs in homebrew, since in 3.5 core, there are rules for creating entirely new spells, but whatever . . .

I have an idea, I need your help fine-tuning it, picking an appropriate spell level, and seeing if there's some exploitable loophole I missed making the spell broken.

Here's the spell idea:

Transmutation (level?? I'm honestly thinking level 1, but that might be too powerful)
range: touch
target: 1 target
V,S,M (a coffee bean, which the subject must eat)
cast time: ?? (I want this to be more than a standard action)
Fort negates (harmless?)
Duration 1 hour, see text:

The subjects metabolism speeds up dramatically, and over the course of the next hour, her body undergoes changes as though an entire day has passed.

This has several effects.

If the subject is poisoned, the delayed effect occurs immediately upon completion of this spell.

If the subject has a disease, the disease affects the target as though a day had passed (if a disease is incubating, subtract one day from the remaining incubation period) if the subject must make fortitude saves each day, they must make one at the end of this spell, etc. . .

Any beneficial spells affecting the target are similarly accelerated (by a factor of 24).

Finally, the actual intended benefit of the spell: if the subject rests during this hour, she regains lost hit points and recovers ability damage as if she had rested for an entire day (1.5 hp/character level, 3 with succesful heal check) (2 ability point/ 4 with heal check). (heal checks to provide long term care function normally)

If the rest is interrupted for a significant portion of the hour, treat the subject as if she had rested only for 8 hrs (1 hp/char level, 2 with heal check, 1 ability point/ 2 with heal check). If the subject does not rest for at least 20 minutes of the hour, she receives no benefit.

At the end of the spells duration the subject is fatigued (as if the subject had been up for an entire day). An arcane caster does not count as having rested for the purpose of preparing spells.

If the spell is used twice in a row, the subject becomes exhausted as normal for doing something which causes fatigue while already suffering from fatigue.

Note: the subject of the spell doesn't actually sleep during the hour, even if resting. In fact, her mind races, and the experience can be mildly unpleasant. (hence the fatigue afterwards).

Amechra
2011-08-16, 07:51 PM
Looks nice. I would personally change that Material Component to a Focus Component, since at the moment, you could take Eschew Material Components, and hit some random person with this spell. Seriously, this is a great "screw you" spell to use on people with Persistant Spells, as you can just repeatedly smack them with this spell until they cry.

In fact, the "beneficial spells" clause makes me happy.

Mathemagician7
2011-08-16, 07:57 PM
The intent was to create a very limited, weak healing option to suplement or stand in for divine casting in a party with limited healing options. However, I'm all for creative uses of spells, so if it could be used offensively - like to speed up poison, I guess that's ok, too, but it needs to be considered for balance.

As the spell is now, what level do you think it should be? How long to cast?

If it were to be used offensively, should the requirement that the subject eat the coffee bean be changed, or is that a good way to prevent abuse?

What are your thoughts playgrounders?

Mathemagician7
2011-08-16, 10:24 PM
I see a bunch of people read this, can anyone offer any advice?

Yitzi
2011-08-16, 10:37 PM
Looks nice. I would personally change that Material Component to a Focus Component, since at the moment, you could take Eschew Material Components, and hit some random person with this spell. Seriously, this is a great "screw you" spell to use on people with Persistant Spells, as you can just repeatedly smack them with this spell until they cry.

So restrict it to willing targets. Easy fix, perfectly common.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-08-17, 09:31 AM
It says Arcane Casters don't count as rested for preparing spells. Your missing out on Divine casters. Who needs to rest for 8 hours when they can rest for an hour and a spell and gain all Healing juiciness back.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 11:34 AM
Divine Spellcasters have a TIME OF DAY they get their spells back; they don't need 8 hours of sleep/rest.

Andorax
2011-08-18, 10:57 AM
I see serious uses/concerns with how this interacts with undead that cause negative levels.