PDA

View Full Version : Bodyguarding in 3.5

Mulletmanalive
2011-08-16, 08:20 PM
I'm seeking sources of abilities that are helpful for protecting others as a bodyguard character.

I've already found:

Everything in Complete Warrior
Shield Other
Guardian Paramount from Epic Level Handbook
a bunch of stuff from Swashbuckling Adventures

I'm working on a prestige class and need inspiration, in case that matters :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-08-16, 08:29 PM
Devoted Spirit discipline, ToB.

Constant Guardian & Dutiful Guardian feats, DotU.

Saintheart
2011-08-16, 08:38 PM
Allied Defense, Shining South.

fryplink
2011-08-16, 08:39 PM
Battlefield control, walls and barriers, if its a more magical themed class. Yea, drawing fire is a great tactic until you're dead, but one your body hits the floor, the principal is no better off than he was without you.

Which brings the next important bit, word of recall (or a similar ability) would make a beautiful capstone to a bodyguard class, if you applied it to yourself and the principal. Teleport and other methods of escape are important. When you look at the regan assassination, two bodyguards pull guns two more get the president out of dodge fast which, in a world with magic means teleport, shadow walk and speed boosts.

I guess it comes to flavour. Is your bodyguard in armor, or is he in a suit with an array of magical gadgets and abilities to preserve the principal?

Squiggles
2011-08-16, 09:02 PM
Sanctuary spell would be pretty simple as well as any of the myriad AC/Save/HP buffs.

Heavily fortified Carriages, magical palanquins warded with Force spells, the magical route has many options, to say the least.

Cheaper potions, like Invisibility, Fly, etc

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-16, 09:19 PM
Ranks in UMD and a scroll of teleport. Sometimes all you need is to be elseware, and if even you don't know exactly where you go nither does anyone else.

holywhippet
2011-08-16, 09:51 PM
You just need a bag of holding - as soon as trouble starts have them jump inside and wait it out. IIRC the bag has 10 minutes worth of air so just finish each battle before then.

Olo Demonsbane
2011-08-16, 11:31 PM
There's a prestige class in Complete Warrior explicitly made for Bodyguarding. Can't remember if it's any good.

My current character uses Twinned Synchronicity to have two readied actions that he can use to block charges, knock opponents backwards, etc. It's working well so far.

Curmudgeon
2011-08-17, 12:29 AM
Really excellent Hide skill, with Supernatural Hide in Plain Sight. It's -30 to your Hide check to Hide someone else, and you can exactly offset that penalty with a +30 Hide competence magic item (90,000 gp). You can't target someone with either a spell or a normal attack if you don't have line of sight to them.

Safety Sword
2011-08-17, 01:21 AM
Surely Benign Transposition (Spell Compendium) needs to make an appearance.

Groverfield
2011-08-17, 01:43 AM
I used to have a homebrew base class for this, but no luck, I don't have it anywhere anymore... but I might type it back up.

big teej
2011-08-17, 01:59 AM
I didn't see anyone mention it.

so Devoted Defender, Sword and Fist (I'm sure it was updated in complete warrior)

see also: the Knight's shield ally ability.

there's also a few spells (that I can't recall the name of) that allow you to cure x damage for taking y portion of it yourself.

Tenno Seremel
2011-08-17, 02:06 AM
Hyperconscious has level 2 psionic power Psychic Bodyguard that allows you to make target's Will saves.

deuxhero
2011-08-17, 02:30 AM
Benign Teleportation?

Darrin
2011-08-17, 07:03 AM
There's a prestige class in Complete Warrior explicitly made for Bodyguarding. Can't remember if it's any good.

Sword & Fist, actually. Devoted Defender. It may be one of the better 3.0 PrCs. Some very interesting possibilities:

Straight-up dodge bonus to AC, without any wacky "marking" restrictions or limitations.

Harm's Way: switch places with your charge whenever your charge is attacked, and you get attacked instead. Could be an interesting way to activate Skirmish (switch places for 5', then 5' step). Also, say hello to Robilar's Gambit/Karmic Strike.

Defensive Strike: AoO when your charge gets attacked by an adjacent opponent with an untyped attack bonus. Combine with Double Hit and maybe Snap Kick for more ouchness.

Deflect Attack: once per round, parry a melee attack against your charge with an opposed attack roll + an untyped bonus.

A great PrC for a cohort. Or pair it up with a Knight who can try to draw aggro (test of mettle, goad, etc.). Or put some greater invisibility on the Devoted Defender.

Greenish
2011-08-17, 07:08 AM
Sword & Fist, actually. Devoted Defender.Well, CW has Knight Defender, but that's meh.

Garagos
2011-08-17, 07:59 AM
I agree with Darrin, Devoted Defender is THE bodyguard prestige class. I haven't looked at it in years so no idea if it needs updating for 3.5, but I remember my DM had one travel with us for awhile and that guy was a BA when his "charge" was next to him.

Downysole
2011-08-17, 10:19 AM
Anything in the Family Domain (SC) is pretty good, not to mention the domain power, which is what kept my group alive and well through the entire Red Hand campaign...except that one time where I got fireballed to death by my mage.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-17, 11:31 AM
I agree with Darrin, Devoted Defender is THE bodyguard prestige class. I haven't looked at it in years so no idea if it needs updating for 3.5, but I remember my DM had one travel with us for awhile and that guy was a BA when his "charge" was next to him.

Skill list needs a little changing. Primarily for innuendo. But you also get search, spot and listen as class skills.
Defensive strike pretty much requires a good dex on the defender, and combat reflexes.
Deflect attack is pretty awesome, especially at higher levels when you can start making that DC 20 reflex save on a regular basis.
In terms of giving the DM a headache, I'd like to see two Defenders in a fight, each one declares the other to be his charge...
Anytime you hit one, his buddy blocks you, or hits you.

Mulletmanalive
2011-08-17, 11:39 AM
Ok, thanks folks: i've finished the class now. Might post it if i can figure out how to retro-fit it to normal 3.5

Morph Bark
2011-08-17, 05:20 PM
In terms of giving the DM a headache, I'd like to see two Defenders in a fight, each one declares the other to be his charge...
Anytime you hit one, his buddy blocks you, or hits you.

Then also give them both White Raven Tactics and stuff like Karmic Strike. :smallamused: