PDA

View Full Version : Best construct to Incarnate?

Rossebay
2011-08-17, 12:53 AM
So, I've been looking through templates and such, and I came across Incarnate Construct. Are there any constructs you know of that I could play as ECL 8 and under? If so, what are they, and what's the coolest/most flavorful one you can find?

BillyBobJoe
2011-08-17, 01:03 AM
Warforged. :smallbiggrin:

Soranar
2011-08-17, 01:09 AM
You should note that most incarnate constructs are really powerful (basically, talk it over with your DM )

you can take any race and turn it into a construct with dustform (template from sandstorm, makes you a construct for +2 LA)

warforged are constructs so you can use incarnate construct on them (gives you LA -2 which can be pretty useful to stack templates that don't lose everything from being incarnated, the wings template from savage species is a pretty good choice in this case)

Other than that, there's a construct in the Fiend Folio that makes you large and gives you STR +10 (you need to take construct HD to take it though).

Unfortunately I forget it's name.

Rossebay
2011-08-17, 01:13 AM
Hmm... Well, minus warforged cheese, I'm looking for cool looking constructs that I could play as, haha.

Going dustform seems silly, it doesn't net me anything cool. :[

Groverfield
2011-08-17, 02:54 AM
I can't remember where it's from, but there's some assassin construct thing that uses a rapier... I remember it being a kinda neat idea to incarnate it

Coidzor
2011-08-17, 02:58 AM
I think Incarnates rely on Constitution score for bonus essentia, and so Warforged would be your best bet there.

Unless you're talking about dustform-incarnate template looping.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-17, 03:47 AM
I can't remember where it's from, but there's some assassin construct thing that uses a rapier... I remember it being a kinda neat idea to incarnate it
Sounds like the Nimblewright from Monster Manual II. I don't have the book, but based on the art (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20020816a), that does sound like at least seven kinds of awesome.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-17, 03:49 AM
The issue with the spell Incarnate Construct (and resulting template) is that because a large majority of constructs are mindless, they don't have a listed LA. Thus, RAW, for PCs, it does no good to give them life.

That being said, if you work with your DM, you could probably pull something together. My first picks are either the Runic Guardian or Nimblewright (both MM2).

Togath
2011-08-17, 03:52 AM
Flesh golem has 9 HD, and is probably about ecl 10 or ecl 11 when used with the incarnate construct template, also don't forget about the awaken construct spell(from spell compendium, it works the same as awaken animal[which is from core] exept it works on constructs rather than animals), which would still leave you a construct rather than a monstrous humanoid, but would probably increase your ecl to 12 or 13

edit: also there is the dread guard from fiend folio(I think it's from it at least, might be from mm2) which is probably only a +1 level adjustment race, if you DM lets you remove the racial HD

edit #2: also I had missed the ecl 8 or under part, nevermind about the flesh golem then, though the dread guard may still work(it has 5 racial HD if I remember correctly, and possesses few ability outside of possessing the construct type[which would reduce level adjustment])

supermonkeyjoe
2011-08-17, 04:43 AM
Incarnate Maug from Fiend Folio is pretty ridiculous for a melee character.

2 Racial HD and +1 LA after incarnate construct nets you +10 str +4 dex +2 int +2 cha +7 natural armour and large size.

mootoall
2011-08-17, 08:00 AM
I think a Zelekut would be fun. Spiked Chaiiiiiiiiiins!

Tvtyrant
2011-08-17, 08:20 AM
Remember, you can play an incarnate construct of an effigy, so you can play as a lot of different creatures.