PDA

View Full Version : Ah dump stats... How i love thee...

Kjata
2011-08-17, 08:35 AM
So, been playing some Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. DMing a game, first ever. Ran through a pre-con adventure, had an adventure of my own, running another prebuilt. Also playing in a game, and having way more fun with that. I rolled up a protagonist (Professional Antagonist, basically I bully people for money) and get a 5 for my intelligence... This is abysmal. But, I played it up. Basically, he is very dumb. But he thinks he is quite clever. He basically comes up with half assed schemes that have a slight chance of profit, when straight up robbery is much more profitable.

We are part of a traveling merchant group, so whenever we stop by the city we are only there for the night. This is ideal for mugging people, as they can report me to the gaurd, but I'll have moved on by the time anyone get's around to anything. In one city, I robbed a halfling point blank, and then assaulted him. We left the city, only to find a roadblock. We went back. My character had the idea to join the town guard, so he could rob people under the cover of the law, before moving on the next day. Well, he went to the guardhouse and was requested to join. I failed the (int based) perception roll to see the wanted poster, and was subsequently arrested. Joy.

He also frequently lies to authority in ways that incriminate others, and will end up wasting a lot of everyones time.

Best moment of the game so far, which I think was also a very subtle dm warning, was when I went out to find someone to pick a fight with and rob. I met... someone trying to rob me, or kill me and rob me. I killed him and took his stuff. I think the dm was saying "Knock it off or you will try to rob the wrong person... and get robbed yourself."

Off topic, this game is degenerating quickly. We have a psychotic norsemen who has an 18 foot long tongue due to being gifted by Slaanesh, one party member who wants to overthrow the empire by making the people rebel and rule them as a dictator, a small time thug(me), a not quite as psychotic norsemen, and a Priestess who turns a blind eye to her coworkers misdeeds, and spends a lot of time reading or praying and basically staying out of our way.

Lord Loss
2011-08-17, 10:29 PM
Oh man. This sounds awesome. You should write one of those campaign journals, or keep us updated on this. In the theme of dump stat horror storeis, I once played a D&D Archivist with, like 6 STR. You know those heavy things wizards carry around? Like hats? And Spell-books? Other than my equipment, I could carry next to nothing. And I couldn't touch those spells that required attacks, touch or not.

Lhurgyof
2011-08-17, 10:51 PM
Oh man. This sounds awesome. You should write one of those campaign journals, or keep us updated on this. In the theme of dump stat horror storeis, I once played a D&D Archivist with, like 6 STR. You know those heavy things wizards carry around? Like hats? And Spell-books? Other than my equipment, I could carry next to nothing. And I couldn't touch those spells that required attacks, touch or not.

I had a scout with a 5 STR and like and 8 CHA or CON once. :smalleek:

Acero
2011-08-17, 11:59 PM
Dwarf fighter. 4 CHA. He didn't talk much

Seerow
2011-08-18, 12:00 AM
Troll Street Sammy, 1 Logic, 1 Charisma.

Oooh yeah

KineticDiplomat
2011-08-18, 11:11 AM
Troll Street Sammy, 1 Logic, 1 Charisma.

Oooh yeah

Stones not big people person. Stones big gun person! Others not appreciate Stones' big gun plan.

Volthawk
2011-08-18, 11:20 AM
Heh, in our group Wisdom is generally deficient. Only one of our characters had a positive wisdom modifier (mine), two have 8 Wisdom, and one has 5 Wisdom (incidentally, she also has the highest Intelligence).

Objection
2011-08-18, 11:32 AM
I'm curious as to how a high int low wis character works. Is it like they're book smart but not street smart or something?

Ekul
2011-08-18, 11:41 AM
Low Wis high Int? Know a lot, but you squander your talents. It happens all the time in real life. ALL THE TIME.

I've had a small sized caster with 1 strength and 7-8 constitution before. He's based on me.

(Note: I really do have a huge problem with carrying capacity. I'm fully encumbered when carrying two textbooks in a backpack. I'm at my max load when carrying my rather light laptop.)

(And I really am 4 feet tall.)

hangedman1984
2011-08-18, 12:24 PM
I'm curious as to how a high int low wis character works. Is it like they're book smart but not street smart or something?

the 3.5 phb describes such a character as being a absent-minded professor type

Elyssian
2011-08-18, 12:32 PM
I had an orc necromantic priestess with a 3 charisma in exchange for a 19 wisdom plus an unlucky monstrous trait or two.

WildPyre
2011-08-18, 12:47 PM

I tend to play it as not knowing the difference of what you CAN do and what you SHOULD do.

FlyingScanian
2011-08-18, 01:09 PM
I tend to play it as not knowing the difference of what you CAN do and what you SHOULD do.

"Intelligence is knowing [the exact stats for an Old Red Dragon], Wisdom is knowing not to provoke it"

Don't remember where I saw it, sadly...

But yeah. Intelligence: coming up with crazy plans. Wisdom: knowing when (and IF) to put said crazy plans into action.

kieza
2011-08-18, 01:10 PM

Mad scientist. The sort that makes a zombie virus and releases it before he comes up with an antidote.

Basically, you do very dumb things in very smart ways because you don't think about the end result of whatever you're about to do.

Mono Vertigo
2011-08-18, 03:46 PM
Basically, you do very dumb things in very smart ways because you don't think about the end result of whatever you're about to do.
See also Aperture Science. Or the fictional company that goes "Hey, we've invented a nifty portable teleportation device! Let's use it to test our almost-as-amazing but ridiculously-badly-marketed-and-tested* other products. Y'know, instead of thinking of actual practical application." The most hilarious and awesome demonstration of this on a large scale.

*let's say you make the bounciest gel ever that also happens to "dislike the human skeleton". How would you market it as? If you answered "diet pudding", you win a cookie.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-18, 05:09 PM
That's your smart guy who develops something and does not realize that it might have very deadly applications.
Or they know lots of theoreticals, but not much practical knowledge.
Or your absent minded professor type.
Or someone smart, but easily lead.
Extreme cases could be idiot savants.

holywhippet
2011-08-18, 07:55 PM

A fair number of academics are like this - without being absent minded or crazy. They have a keen understanding of subject material, but might not understand the implication of it in the real world.

Shadow Lord
2011-08-18, 08:04 PM
I once had a Wisdom of 3, a Charisma of 3, a Strength of 6, a Constitution of 14, and an Intelligence of 24. It was fun!

Fiery Diamond
2011-08-18, 08:15 PM
I once had a Wisdom of 3, a Charisma of 3, a Strength of 6, a Constitution of 14, and an Intelligence of 24. It was fun!

How on Earth did you roleplay that monstrosity? :smallconfused:

Esprit15
2011-08-18, 08:39 PM

My guess is a rude smart-Alec of a wizard.

Acanous
2011-08-18, 09:23 PM
I'd see it as "HA! You petty mortals and your STUPID problems. I COULD help you, but I don't FEEL like it. Think I'll just laugh while that dragon eats you.

Oh wait, we're friends?"

Chilingsworth
2011-08-18, 09:51 PM
I currently have two characters (both are race/class combos with backstories my DM gave me to put flesh on.)

A custom subrace elf cleric
Str 6 (-2 racial), Dex 12, Con 12, Int 14 (+2 racial), Wis 19, Cha 12

And a custom subrace halfling psion (telepath)/wizard (diviner)
Str 6 (-2 racial), Dex 14 (+2 racial), Con 14, int 19, Wis 10, Cha 8

Kjata
2011-08-19, 08:04 AM

Look at the average World of Warcraft Pvper.

Spamotron
2011-08-19, 03:48 PM

What about the opposite? I'm trying to come up with a way to portray a high Wisdom low Intelligence character that isn't Forrest Gump.

Volthawk
2011-08-19, 03:51 PM
What about the opposite? I'm trying to come up with a way to portray a high Wisdom low Intelligence character that isn't Forrest Gump.

Simple, someone who goes by their instincts rather than by analysis and knowledge. Somewhat like an animal, I guess...

erictheredd
2011-08-19, 04:41 PM
with the high wisdom low intellegence--- try the guy who doesn't have a good memory but has tons of common sense. The guy isn't book smart, but he knows how the world works and has an unusually accurate feel for situations.

I can imagine a hero that is this way....

I'm trying to imagine a villain.

starwoof
2011-08-19, 09:18 PM
with the high wisdom low intellegence--- try the guy who doesn't have a good memory but has tons of common sense. The guy isn't book smart, but he knows how the world works and has an unusually accurate feel for situations.

I can imagine a hero that is this way....

Think of the stereotypical Queen Bee of high school. That blond girl who is not too smart, but has a good feel for people. By reading their emotions they know the best way to manipulate someone. Its definitely a low int high wis/cha villain archetype.

Gamgee
2011-08-20, 09:00 PM
Think of the stereotypical Queen Bee of high school. That blond girl who is not too smart, but has a good feel for people. By reading their emotions they know the best way to manipulate someone. Its definitely a low int high wis/cha villain archetype.

High Int and High Wisdom would be?

Esprit15
2011-08-20, 09:06 PM

A very intelligent version of the low int high wisdom person. An all around genius.

Narren
2011-08-20, 10:36 PM
I've seen a character with an 18 strength and a 7 constitution. That always seemed really...off, to me.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-20, 10:46 PM

The person who is able to perfectly read their opponent, to discern weaknesses and strengths, and then elaborate the perfect plan to take care of them. It's the villain that not only knows what plan will work best, but also how to implement it, when and most importantly, why that implementation is necessary.

The only way to defeat such a villain is sheer luck, an opponent with similarly high int and high wis, or such high numbers that no plan can hope to work against them. And even then, expect them to win anyway.

Kjata
2011-08-21, 01:27 AM
I've seen a character with an 18 strength and a 7 constitution. That always seemed really...off, to me.

Nah, it would be like the bubble boy... you know, too sickly for air because of all the everyday bacteria that will seriously mess him up. Only instead of watching tv all day, he lifts weights.

Or he's a hemophiliac who works out a lot.

The person who is able to perfectly read their opponent, to discern weaknesses and strengths, and then elaborate the perfect plan to take care of them. It's the villain that not only knows what plan will work best, but also how to implement it, when and most importantly, why that implementation is necessary.

The only way to defeat such a villain is sheer luck, an opponent with similarly high int and high wis, or such high numbers that no plan can hope to work against them. And even then, expect them to win anyway.

Or, you know, get physical and lay down the pain. When your opponent is Evil Steven Hawkings, call Brock Lesner in to kick his ass.

starwoof
2011-08-21, 02:27 AM

The same, but ugly and better at math.:smallbiggrin:

Lappy9000
2011-08-21, 02:32 AM
Ronas Stormhorn, Minotaur Psychic Warrior (homebrew rules for a +0 LA minotaur).

Good Strength, Average Constitution and Dexterity, but here's the fun part:

Charisma, 18
Wisdom, 20
Intelligence...6

He made a surprisingly good (if easily manipulated) party face, and I even wrote his backstory to note how he was a diplomat in the warring minotaur tribes. The best part was that I took Psycrystal Affinity, and gave myself a rock (geode, so still crystal) named Rocky the Mineral American with an Intelligence of 9.

So my character was literally dumber than a rock.

His child-like demeanor made him very likeable to the rest of the party, even after he cleaves enemies in twain after an uber charge :smallbiggrin:

absolmorph
2011-08-21, 04:39 AM

So, to simplify this, Batman.

WitchSlayer
2011-08-21, 07:27 AM
Wait, in Warhammer Fantasy don't you add +20 to your intelligence if you're human or +10 if you get some race that is particularly unintelligent? So it would be impossible to get a 5 int!

Seb Wiers
2011-08-21, 09:21 AM
with the high wisdom low intellegence--- try the guy who doesn't have a good memory but has tons of common sense.

<snip>

Not hard at all.
For the typical male version, Al Capone, or pretty much any gang leader. For a low charisma version, the savvy barbarian bounty hunter type. No book learning, lots of real world "geett'er dun" skill, and smart enough to hire a nerd (accountant, scribe) when he needs nerd work done.
For the typical female version, any uneducated gold digger type, and a great number of family matriarchs as well.

cthulhubear
2011-08-21, 12:26 PM
I've created an app on the weave where the character has an int of 2 (32 pb, put an 8 in it, base race shifter int -2 so 6, and I took the Feral Template so I got a -4, so yeah.) Haven't been accepted yet, so I dunno if I'm playing it yet. Sadly It makes it to where just about any feat or prestige class that involves skills is out of my reach.

Volthawk
2011-08-21, 12:35 PM
I've created an app on the weave where the character has an int of 2 (32 pb, put an 8 in it, base race shifter int -2 so 6, and I took the Feral Template so I got a -4, so yeah.) Haven't been accepted yet, so I dunno if I'm playing it yet. Sadly It makes it to where just about any feat or prestige class that involves skills is out of my reach.

You realise 2 int is animal intelligence, right?

cthulhubear
2011-08-21, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I know. I'm not sure if he'll even be able to speak XD. The int penalty dosen't really matter in terms of skills tho, as the dm said this game will be full of combat and the like. :smallbiggrin:

JonRG
2011-08-21, 02:08 PM
In a futureish game (a mix of 3.5 and d20 Modern'n'Beyond rules), I rolled two 18s and a 7 for my urban ranger/sniper-type character. I put the 7 in Cha, but in my defense, the concept wouldn't have worked any other way. (i.e. I wouldn't have been able to carry my weapon, survive, or be smart enough to perform my duties.)

@Cthulubear: I don't think your Intelligence can drop below 3 through penalties, though Google is kicking my butt and I can't cite a source.

EDIT: It's a half-orc thing, but I don't know if it applies to other Int-penalty races. I'd ask the DM. It could be important, because it's questionable if an Int 2 creature could gain class levels. :smalleek:

A half-orc’s starting Intelligence score is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character’s score to 1 or 2, his score is nevertheless 3.

nyarlathotep
2011-08-21, 02:35 PM

Batman. Curse you word limit

Coidzor
2011-08-21, 02:36 PM

Or... tackling them to the floor and beating the stuffing out of them. That generally works too.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-21, 02:39 PM
Or... tackling them to the floor and beating the stuffing out of them. That generally works too.

He anticipated that and got himself contact poison (against which he took the precaution to become immune to) all over himself. Have a nice death.

Volthawk
2011-08-21, 02:40 PM
He anticipated that and got himself contact poison (against which he took the precaution to become immune to) all over himself. Have a nice death.

Tackle with a warforged, then.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-21, 02:47 PM
High Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. High Wisdom is knowing it doesn't belong in a fruit salad.

Coidzor
2011-08-21, 02:51 PM

Really. That's your "gotcha!" Not, say "Oh, no, see, he's a wizard so he's always flying so you can't tackle him even if you can fly yourself?" :smalltongue:

Son, I am disappoint.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-21, 02:58 PM
Tackle with a warforged, then.

Then it's actually a Contingency spell keyed to "someone touches me" that activates a Shapechange spell on the villain. Have fun grappling a true dragon.

Really. That's your "gotcha!" Not, say "Oh, no, see, he's a wizard so he's always flying so you can't tackle him even if you can fly yourself?" :smalltongue:

Son, I am disappoint.

Flight invites ranged attacks. Oh, I could've said "You actually tackled an astral projection! His real self is in a private demiplane with more abjurations than you have HP!" but really, that is quite predictable.

Allow me some originality! :smalltongue:

cthulhubear
2011-08-21, 04:29 PM
@Cthulubear: I don't think your Intelligence can drop below 3 through penalties, though Google is kicking my butt and I can't cite a source.

EDIT: It's a half-orc thing, but I don't know if it applies to other Int-penalty races. I'd ask the DM. It could be important, because it's questionable if an Int 2 creature could gain class levels. :smalleek:

The Feral Template says that the minimum is 2 int, and the dm, as far as I know, doesn't really care about the Int 2 creature gaining class levels. However, I've pm'ed to see if my character can actually talk or not :smalleek:

Eric Tolle
2011-08-21, 06:02 PM
Low wisdom also implies low willpower and self-control. So you can have the very smart guy who parties until he gets really sick, and the next day can very rationally describe why that was a bad idea. And then the next day he parties until he gets sick....

Kjata
2011-08-22, 09:21 AM
Wait, in Warhammer Fantasy don't you add +20 to your intelligence if you're human or +10 if you get some race that is particularly unintelligent? So it would be impossible to get a 5 int!

Well, i have 25... added 5 to my base 20. But for those not familiar with the system, saying I have 25 int doesn't seem as bad as it is. i decided to just say 5 for familiarity and emphasis.

WitchSlayer
2011-08-22, 10:01 PM
Well, i have 25... added 5 to my base 20. But for those not familiar with the system, saying I have 25 int doesn't seem as bad as it is. i decided to just say 5 for familiarity and emphasis.

Ah. Pfft. Wussy

I had a dwarf with 15 fellowship.

starwoof
2011-08-22, 10:26 PM
Whatever the lowest score for dwarfen fellowship is, I've had it. I considered using Shallya's Mercy on it but decided I needed to have better weapon skill. :smallbiggrin:

WitchSlayer
2011-08-22, 10:53 PM
Whatever the lowest score for dwarfen fellowship is, I've had it. I considered using Shallya's Mercy on it but decided I needed to have better weapon skill. :smallbiggrin:

Ah yes. The dwarven way.

I am proud.

Mekboy
2011-08-24, 04:47 PM
I'm currently playing in a Pathfinder campaign, completely random stats, no assigning. My character is an elf mage, with 7 str, 6 con and 10 hitpoints. I kinda tend to try and stand as far away from the combat as possible.