PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Bloodlines] Renowned and Mythblooded

Pyromancer999
2011-08-17, 03:38 PM
Background- I'd been looking through my D&D resources, when I came across Weapons of Legacy, a system that, if imperfect and costly, provided for legendary weapons that provided increased benefits with level. Then I took a look at Welknair's Bloodlines, and got inspired....to make a request of a Weapons of Legacy-themed bloodline. As Welknair's been busy cranking out Bloodline-y goodness, he made the suggestion that I try my hand at making a Weapons of Legacy-themed bloodline, two actually. And so, I present the Renowned and Mythblooded bloodlines. Enjoy!

Renowned

Many a person knows of the wielders of Weapons of Legacy, of the might and strength of their weapons. But what of their descendants? Do they enjoy the same might that their ancestor knew? The answer is: sometimes. Whenever a wielder of a Weapon of Legacy bonds to their chosen Weapon, some of that Weapon's power touches the wielder in a way that the wielder and their Weapon are one. As such, it is not unusual for a fragment of this power to enter their children, giving rise to Legacy abilities in the descendants of such beings, allowing them to duplicate the abilities of their ancestors famed weapon in the weapons that they bear.

{table=head] Level |
Minor |
Intermediate |
Major

1 | | | Knowledge(History) +2
2 | |Knowledge(History) +2 |Legacy Bond
3 | | | Charisma +1
4 |Knowledge(History) +2 |Legacy Bond|Legacy Power(A)
5 | | | Legacy Affinity +2
6 | |Charisma +1| Legacy Power(A)
7 | | | Legacy Skill 1 +2
8 |Legacy Bond |Legacy Power(A) |Legacy Power(B)
9 | | | Str +1
10 | |Legacy Affinity +2 |Legacy Power(C)
11 | | | Legacy Affinity +4
12 |Charisma +1 |Legacy Power(A)|Legacy Power(D)
13 | | | Legacy Skill 2 +2
14 | |Legacy Skill 1 +2 |Legacy Power(D)
15 | | | Dex +1
16 |Legacy Power(A)|Legacy Power(B)| Legacy Power(E)
17 | | | Legacy Affinity +6
18 | |Str +1 | Legacy Power(F)
19 | | | Legacy Skill 3 +2
20 |Legacy Affinity +2 |Legacy Power(C) | Legendary Power
[/table]

Legacy Bond: Renowned can awaken the potential for Legacy abilities in even the most mundane of items. Select one specific type of item, such as a mace, light armor, or a ring. So long as the Renowned spends one hour over such an item, and have had a personal experience with it, the item awakens its Legacy abilities, making it more like the Weapon of Legacy their ancestor wielded, and becomes Legacy Bonded. This ritual need not be repeated, and a Renowned can only have one Legacy Bonded item at a time. This confers the weapon the benefits of being a Weapon of Legacy, and also allows the item to confer a +1 bonus to either: AC(Shields and Armor), Attack or Damage rolls(choose one, Weapons), or +1 bonus to any one skill or save(other). The Legacy Bonded item also gains an omen. The Renowned also declares the nature and/or identity of their ancestor's Weapon of Legacy when this ability is gained. The specific type of item a Renowned's ancestor's Weapon of Legacy does not need to match their type of item for Legacy Bonding.

Legacy Power: A Renowned can confer some of the abilities of its ancestor's legacy weapon to a Legacy Bonded item. At the levels listed above, the Renowned can choose a power from the Legacy Ability menu listed, or two from a lower-powered one, or ability(ies) equivalent to powers on the menu type listed.(ex. Instead of choosing an ability from Menu C, a Renowned can choose two abilities from Menus B or A). If using an existing Weapon of Legacy, the Renowned can choose an equivalent or lesser ability of their Ancestor's item, so long as their character level is 2 levels greater than the level appropriate for a wielder to gain such an ability. These powers are conferred to a Legacy Bonded item, and are constant, not changing with Legacy Bonding to new items.

Legacy Affinity: A Renowned knows how to deal with those who wield legendary power. A Renowned gains the given bonus to all interaction rolls with individuals with Weapons of Legacy, Legacy Bonded items, or that are Monsters of Legacy.

Legacy Skill: Depending on a Renowned's ancestor's Weapon of Legacy, the Renowned gains bonuses to certain skills. Look at the prerequisites for a Renowned's Ancestor's Weapon of Legacy. If skill ranks are required, the Renowned gains a bonus to the skill ranks are required in. Repeat this each time a Legacy Skill bonus would be gained. Should there not be any skills left to choose, the Renowned gains a bonus to an appropriate skill related to their Ancestor's Weapon of Legacy(ex. Knowledge(Religion) for Exordius).

Legendary Power: A Renowned knows how to give a Legacy Bonded item one of the greatest powers available, if only for a short time. Select a Legacy Power from Ability Menu G, or if using an existing Weapon of Legacy as the Renowned's ancestor's Weapon of Legacy, the first ability gained when or after a normal wielder would gain 17th level. They may grant this ability to a Legacy-Bonded item for a number of rounds equal to your level each day, which need not be spent consecutively, but must be used in 2-round increments.

Mythblooded

Many know of legendary creatures, Monsters of Legacy. However, what one fails to take into account is that even once such creatures are dead, their power is not gone from this world, so long as they have descendants. These descendants are enhanced by a shard of the same legendary might that powered their ancestors, gaining enhanced capabilities and other powers.

{table=head] Level |
Minor |
Intermediate |
Major

1 | | | Knowledge(History) +2
2 | |Knowledge(History) +2 |Legacy Body
3 | | | Charisma +1
4 |Knowledge(History) +2 |Legacy Body|Legacy Power(A)
5 | | | Legacy Affinity +2
6 | |Charisma +1| Legacy Power(A)
7 | | |Heritage Skill 1 +2
8 |Legacy Body |Legacy Power(A) |Legacy Power(B)
9 | | | Str +1
10 | |Legacy Affinity +2 |Legacy Power(C)
11 | | | Legacy Affinity +4
12 |Charisma +1 |Legacy Power(A)|Legacy Power(D)
13 | | | Heritage Skill 2 +2
14 | |Heritage Skill 1 +2 |Legacy Power(D)
15 | | | Dex +1
16 |Legacy Power(A)|Legacy Power(B)| Legacy Power(E)
17 | | | Legacy Affinity +6
18 | |Str +1 | Legacy Power(F)
19 | | | Heritage Skill 3 +2
20 |Legacy Affinity +2 |Legacy Power(C) | Legendary Might
[/table]

Note:The Mythblooded bloodline cannot be the only bloodline you have. Once the Mythblooded Bloodline is selected, you must choose one other type of bloodline you have, which must be equal to or less than in strength to the strength of bloodline you chose for this bloodline(ex. if a Character selects an Intermediate Akodrin bloodline to be targeted, then the same character must have either an Intermediate or Major Mythblooded bloodline). Mudblooded cannot be selected to be targeted by this bloodline, nor can it be used as a component bloodline for a Mudblooded bloodline.

Legacy Body: Mythblooded gain some of the power of their ancestor, and it eventually shows in the character's performance. This gives a +1 bonus to one of the following to a Mythblooded: AC, Attack or Damage rolls, or rolls for any one skill or save. The Mythblooded also gains an omen. The Mythblooded also declares the nature and/or identity of their ancestor when this ability is gained. Also, the Mythblooded is treated as being 1(Minor or Intermediate) or 2(Major) levels higher than they are for level-related bloodline effects for their chosen bloodline.

Legacy Power: A Mythblooded can gain legendary abilities like their ancestor. At the levels listed above, the Mythblooded can choose a power from the Legacy Ability menu listed, or two from a lower-powered one, or ability(s) equivalent to powers on the menu type listed.(ex. Instead of choosing an ability from Menu C, a Mythblooded can choose two abilities from Menus B or A). These powers cannot be changed when selected.

Legacy Affinity: A Mythblooded knows how to deal with those who wield legendary power. A Mythblooded gains the given bonus to all interaction rolls with individuals with Weapons of Legacy, Legacy Bonded items, or that are Monsters of Legacy.

Heritage Skill: A Mythblooded can become more proficient with natural bloodline skill abilities than can normal bloodline members. At the given levels, this ability grants an additional +2 to the skill bonus gained at the same level through the chosen bloodline.

Legendary Power: A Mythblooded knows how to draw upon some of the greatest of their legendary ancestor's power, if only for a time. Select a Legacy Power from Ability Menu G, chosen when this ability is gained. They may gain access to this ability for a number of rounds equal to its level each day, which need not be spent consecutively, but must be used in 2-round increments.

Don't have Weapons of Legacy? Here's an excerpt (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050701a) with some sample Weapons of Legacy and one example Monster of Legacy, and a link or two to more of the same.

That's all for now. Please PEACH/comment.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 04:38 PM
These will be available in my upcoming The Gods Returneth game. Just sayin'.

Ooh, look up Prime32's (at least I think its his) Weapons with Class Levels thread over on BG.
I think I'm gonna give my villain a Mythblooded Weapon and some Reknowned Armor (targetting the Mythblooded Weapon, of course). You know, so that he is completely borked.

He is supposed to be someone who failed a bid for godhood, after all.

peacenlove
2011-08-17, 04:48 PM
Legendary Power: A Mythblooded knows how to draw upon some of the greatest of their legendary ancestor's power, if only for a time. Select a Legacy Power from Ability Menu G, chosen when this ability is gained. They may gain access to this ability for a number of rounds equal to your level, which need not be spent consecutively, but must be used in 2-round increments.

Menu G abilities have some 1-shot abilities such as chain lighting and dominate person.
While chain lighting, if selected, will just do its damage and that's it, what happens with dominate person? Does the duration come from Legendary Power or from Dominate person itself?

Looking at the abilities of the menu G I wouldn't find any of them gamebreaking at 20th level anyway so you may give continuous access to them (and if you don't, players will select one shot effects anyway)

Lastly table says legendary might, ability says legendary power.
EDIT:

Ooh, look up Prime32's (at least I think its his) Weapons with Class Levels thread over on BG.

I would be interested for a link for both if possible.
Your material is interesting and I would like to see them in action.

Pyromancer999
2011-08-17, 04:57 PM

Sounds good, and if you could let me know how they work out, that'd be great.

...I have no idea wht you're talking about. Can you provide a link?

I think I'm gonna give my villain a Mythblooded Weapon and some Reknowned Armor (targetting the Mythblooded Weapon, of course). You know, so that he is completely borked.

Mythblooded doesn't provide a weapon, so not entirely sure what you're saying here.

Also, thinking I may have to also add Reknowned to the list of bloodlines unable to be targeted, as when you think about it, it doesn't really suit the idea of a creature being legendary, just a weapon-bearing ancestor.

Menu G abilities have some 1-shot abilities such as chain lighting and dominate person.
While chain lighting, if selected, will just do its damage and that's it, what happens with dominate person? Does the duration come from Legendary Power or from Dominate person itself?

Looking at the abilities of the menu G I wouldn't find any of them gamebreaking at 20th level anyway so you may give continuous access to them (and if you don't, players will select one shot effects anyway)

I've been thinking of just straight-out granting a menu G ability, but what one has to consider is that they're gained at 17th level minimum.

Lastly table says legendary might, ability says legendary power.

Fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 05:13 PM
I'm talking this thing (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10411) of utter beauty!

Pyromancer999
2011-08-17, 05:24 PM
I'm talking this thing (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10411) of utter beauty!

I've seen that. It's interesting, but not quite Weapon of Legacy quality weapons, although it doesn't require you to expend a lot of hit points and the like to get those abilities. Also, not all Weapons of Legacy are sentient, either. Interesting, but I'm not so sure what exactly it has to do with these bloodlines.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 07:07 PM
They have class levels, ergo they can also have bloodlines.

A magic weapon with a Mythblooded bloodline would make a rather effect weapon, non?

Pyromancer999
2011-08-17, 07:18 PM
They have class levels, ergo they can also have bloodlines.

A magic weapon with a Mythblooded bloodline would make a rather effect weapon, non?

.......Well, they are originally creatures, but they're mostly magic items, so while it technically can be done, it's something that should be consulted with your DM about, as it is a bit unbalanced. Also doesn't fit fluff-wise, as it's doubtable that a descendant of a Monster of Legacy would willingly let itself be turned into an item, or able to be forced to transform into one. Also, magic item with Mythblooded Bloodline isn't that different from a Weapon of Legacy without the penalties, although the amount of penalties to wield any Weapon of Legacy is ridiculous as it is, it's still a bit overpowered.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 08:36 PM
Funny bit about that... I AM the DM.

Just sayin'.

Pyromancer999
2011-08-17, 10:12 PM
Funny bit about that... I AM the DM.

Just sayin'.

Oh, then it's an NPC. That's actually a pretty clever idea then, although it wouldn't be recommended that you allow PCs to do that.

Amechra
2011-08-17, 10:18 PM
Considering that everyone will be running around with a bloodline in my upcoming game, and they are going to progress until ecl 8 in an e6 game (for the purposes of bloodlines) anyway...

Everyone will be constrained on what classes they can take, so there will be that for balance...

Pyromancer999
2011-08-18, 09:01 AM
Considering that everyone will be running around with a bloodline in my upcoming game, and they are going to progress until ecl 8 in an e6 game (for the purposes of bloodlines) anyway...

Everyone will be constrained on what classes they can take, so there will be that for balance...

That's true, not to mention interesting.

Now, any more PEACHes/Comments on this homebrew?

Amechra
2011-08-18, 08:37 PM
A clear and concise question comes to mind... namely, is Legendary Power a rounds/day thing, or is it only once EVER?

Pyromancer999
2011-08-19, 12:44 PM
A clear and concise question comes to mind... namely, is Legendary Power a rounds/day thing, or is it only once EVER?

It's a rounds per day sort of deal right now, although as said earlier in this thread, it's being considered that maybe the Menu G ability should just be granted outright.

Garryl
2011-08-19, 06:50 PM
There's no 'k' in renowned (http://www.dumbtionary.com/word/reknowned.shtml#1). The 6th level Major bloodline table has Legacy Bond (A) instead of Legacy Power (A). Also, Legacy Skill and Legacy Power each switch temporarily from 3rd person to 2nd person ("your").

Mythblooded's Legacy Power also switches temporarily from 3rd to 2nd person. Legacy Body and Legacy Power both refer to the Reknowned instead of the Mythblooded. Finally, the Major table lists Legacy Bond (A) at 6th instead of Legacy Power (A), and Legendary Might at 20th instead of Legendary Power.

As I am not familiar with bloodlines or Weapons of Legacy, I cannot comment on the power and balance of these bloodlines, but these do look like interesting ways of implementing Legacy items and creatures.

Pyromancer999
2011-08-19, 11:03 PM
There's no 'k' in renowned (http://www.dumbtionary.com/word/reknowned.shtml#1). The 6th level Major bloodline table has Legacy Bond (A) instead of Legacy Power (A). Also, Legacy Skill and Legacy Power each switch temporarily from 3rd person to 2nd person ("your").

Mythblooded's Legacy Power also switches temporarily from 3rd to 2nd person. Legacy Body and Legacy Power both refer to the Reknowned instead of the Mythblooded. Finally, the Major table lists Legacy Bond (A) at 6th instead of Legacy Power (A), and Legendary Might at 20th instead of Legendary Power.

Thanks for noticing this. Fixed.

As I am not familiar with bloodlines or Weapons of Legacy, I cannot comment on the power and balance of these bloodlines, but these do look like interesting ways of implementing Legacy items and creatures.

Thanks.