PDA

View Full Version : Council of Thieves

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-17, 10:44 PM
Tamarie
Eight bells toll somewhere in Rego Corna, booming out waves of sound that cross the boundary between night and day out in the Westchannel, into your little shop. Only a few minutes ago you stepped out of your sleeping room in the back and perched yourself on the hard stool behind your rough desk. A small wooden bookshelf holding samples of your work squats next to the wall on your right. It’s not much, but the Order of the Dragon didn’t have much to spare, and a translator doesn’t need much more. The door leading out into the street hangs open, inviting customers in. Westcrown’s citizens are only beginning to emerge from their homes, dawn’s light lifting at least one worry from their hearts, but you don’t want to miss any potential customers. You see a ragged-looking woman scurry down the street, only to drop to the ground near what looks like the remains of a rudimentary shelter propped up against the building across from yours. She tears at the wreckage and uncovers the head and chest of a clearly dead man. You can hardly bear to tear yourself away as the woman cradles the head to her and her shoulders begin to shake.

However, it seems your openness may even be rewarded as well as punished. A cloaked woman enters your shop and walks over to the bookshelf, closing the door behind her. Something seems strange about her. You do not recognize her as one of your normal customers. She has dark, curly hair and a oval-shaped, hard-to-read face. Under her cloak you glimpse dull but tough-looking leather armguards, and you can hear the faint clanking of metal rings. She also doesn’t seem to be examining the book she has chosen—a compilation of star charts that no one seeking translation work ever touches—very closely, instead glancing every so often at you.

After a few moments of this she replaces the book on the shelf and goes over to you. "Tell me,"[b] she says, placing her hands on your desk, [b]"I saw your name written in that book, Miss Rivern, as the author. I have to ask—did you know Agnes Rivern?" The woman looks right into your eyes as she says it, and you can see in her eyes a compassion that you would not expect in a total stranger. "I did not know her well,"[b] explains the woman, pulling back a little, [b]"but I’ve worked with the dottari and she was uncommonly honorable."

Amanita
The air rings with sound as nine bells clap in some faraway tower. The streets are beginning to fill up, and you begin to trace your familiar route through the city, looking for some sign of your brother. Vendors’ mats, stalls, and carts are beginning to line the streets, and patrons are beginning to queue up for a shot at their wares. You scan the crowd for an easy avenue for movement and spot one: an armored Hellknight on a dun, speckled horse Is making way for himself by shoving people to the side, and is going in just the direction you want to go. You slither through the crowd and start moving in his wake, ducking back into the mass when it looks like he might be turning his head to look behind him. He doesn’t notice you.

You don’t notice any signs of your brother, either. Your daily searches have yet to reveal any signs of him: being locked in a basement is not the best way to become skilled at gathering information. You have, however, seem to have picked up a footpad. A woman in a cloak with the hood thrown back and the front open to reveal her dark, curly hair, oval-shaped face and leather-and-metal armor has fallen in behind the Hellknight as well. She beckons at you and you hesitate just long enough for the crowd to close between you and the Hellknight. He moves along, and you and the woman stand facing one another in the crowded street.

"I don’t always come this way," she says, "but since every time I do there you are, it seems like you do. What is it you’re looking for? Perhaps I can help you find it."

Corath
The procession flows slowly down the street as twelve bells peel one at a time. Each step of the accused, and his captors, and, it seems, each beat of your heart, is in time with a peel. The man shuffles toward a raised platform in the middle of the square, his hands bound at the wrists and his legs shackled to a lead. This lead is held by one of the dottari, the city guards, clad in red and black Cheliaxian livery. Two more flank the prisoner, and one more, mounted on a horse and keeping the way clear, goes in front. Around you, onlookers throw stones or pieces of rotten produce at the condemned man; the execution seems to have brought out the worst in Westcrown’s people.

The man and his guards make their way to the platform. The two guards in back of him shove him onto the platform so he ends up on his knees in front of a large man dressed all in black and carrying a massive sword. The dottari on the horse pulls a scroll out of his pocket and opens it. It is more than a foot long, but the message he reads off it is brief. "For the crimes of disloyalty to Cheliax, sedition against its rulers the noble House of Thrune, and incitement against their dominion over Westcrown and the lands about there can be no lawful punishment save death. This is the fate this man brought upon himself." The dottari rolls up the scroll and directs the horse to sidestep off to the left so everybody can see the execution. The executioner raises his sword to his shoulder, and his mouth seems to be moving, but you cannot hear over the cries of the crowd. The condemned man’s voice, however, rings out. "Beyond this world the legions of Hell shall not pursue those who refuse them!"

The dottari on the platform laugh and push the man down to the ground. He thuds against the wooden planking, and the sword thuds too, louder. You feel a touch on your shoulder and look behind you. There stands a woman in a black cloak, with dark, curly hair and an oval-shaped face. She does not look at you, but instead at the dead man on the platform. "I understand if you do not want to talk about that," she says, her eyes not moving, "but you did not throw anything or shout. I don’t think you were here for the spectacle." She seems to come to herself, and looks to the left and right at the slowly-dispersing crowd. "Perhaps we can talk further, somewhere a little more private?"

Ducan
At two bells, the drinking house you haunt is nearly empty. The barkeep is nearly asleep in his chair, the barmaids won’t arrive for another two hours, and the only other patron has just stepped out. The corner in which you sit smells of stale beer and of your own body. Many hours, over many days, you have sat here, until the chair seems to have molded itself around you. You’ve considered leaving your corner, and the tavern, for the outside, but where would you go? Only one thing’s certain: whatever allies you’ll need to track down the people who hurt your master, you won’t find them here.

Or perhaps you will. You’ve grown to know many of the tavern’s regular customers by sight, but the cloaked woman who enters now is new to you. Her oval face is framed by dark, curly hair, and her eyes are brighter than most anyone’s who comes in here. She gives the bartender a pitying look and seems to decide not to disturb him. Instead, she takes a step toward your corner, and then another, until she is sitting across from you. "Let me make this simple," she says quietly, leaning over the table. "I know why you come here. You met two of my associates here, though you might not have recognized them. They told you about your master and the thrice-damned House of Thrune, and you’ve waited, and waited for news." She seems about to continue, but stops herself, and waits instead for your reaction.

Paimon
It’s been almost an hour since three bells, and you’ve decided to find a place to camp for the night. The smell of today’s catch going rancid on the docks seeps down the alleyways from the waterfront, only a few blocks to the east. You can’t help but turn over the name of the district in which you find yourself, Parego Spera, over in your mind. "Hope’s Altar". Some hope. The planks and plywood you’ve managed to collect over the course of the day—no staying in one place for you—won’t even protect your body or the manuscript you carry from rain, much less the shadows that stalk Westcrown at night.

You chose this alleyway for its seeming lack of traffic, but it seems you will have to revise your earlier assessment. A woman in a black cloak and leather and metal armor comes picking her way along. She seems worried about something, looking about herself nervously. Her curly hair shakes just a second after her head. In the middle of one of these sweeps, you see her eyes come to rest on you. She might have moved on, but instead she stops scanning and stares at you for a second. Not at your horns like other Chelish, but at your eyes.

"Paimon?" she says, sweeping her hair off her forehead and hurrying closer to you. "Of the Lowpier Players? I saw your last performance, though you probably don’t recognize me from the audience."

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-08-17, 11:03 PM
Paimon

"Hush, whoever you are! Throwing names around like that is dangerous!"

slugboy_73
2011-08-18, 06:47 AM
Corath

Slowly unclenching his fists that had been balled up in frustrated rage Corath nods and turns to the woman, "Yes, somewhere quiet would be good after that."

Zefir
2011-08-18, 07:32 AM
Ducan

Ducan looks up from his table as the woman comes near him. he has draged the cape over his head, since this way his face is more in the dark then without it. His eyes widen for a moment as she cursed the House of Thrune.
He cough slightly befor he speak up in a silent voice.

"Dear Miss. I think you aren't here to tell me that your 'associates' have done there job to please you. And since you take this name in a sentence with a curse, I assume you have simular feelings then I do. You know me well enougth to know what I want to hear. Continue and we will see how good your informations are Miss?"

With the last he holds up his hand open just like he wants something from here. Mainly her Name in the current situation.

Vacuus
2011-08-18, 09:45 AM
OOC
Is it safe for me to assume that you're handling the Perception and Sense Motive rolls?

I'm assuming that I'm not picking up anything suspicious from the person, okay?

Amanita
Amanita stares blankly at the woman.

"You know something about what happened to him? Him being my brother, that is. Waern Vallist, if you need a name. He was a great person, probably still is."

"Not probably," Amanita corrects herself, "definitely"

"If you know anything, make your demands known. If you know nothing, then leave me be."

Feather Sigil
2011-08-18, 09:31 PM
The very moment she saw the cloak, Tamarie probed beneath her desk with her foot, looking for her crossbow but trying not to knock it over. The lightest of bumps confirmed it was there, along with her quiver of bolts, exactly where she put them before opening the shop. It didn't make her feel safe nearly as much as the lack of pentagrams on her visitor's garb--every morning Tam woke up half expecting to be evicted.

One of the advantages of wearing what was ostensibly a blindfold was being able to look all around discretely. While her guest "browsed" her star charts, Tam examined her bookcase and desk with her eyes alone, watching everything through a haze of blue cloth. Quill and ink vials on the desk, scrolls of bare parchment in a box to the left of her desk, six books with alternating brown and black covers, a bare space for a seventh with a dark blue spine--the book her visitor held--and weapons under the desk. The cloaked lady put back the book. Good. Everything was in place. Too bad she didn't really seem to care about the star charts, though. Nobody did.

At the mentioning of her mother, Tam's mouth suddenly felt dry, words sticking in place in her throat. She immediately looked away from her visitor. "Y...yes, she was..." Her voice quivered when she found it again. She shut her eyes and felt the bottom of the blindfold turn cold and wet. "...She was my mother. She-she died three days ago." Because of me. Tamarie found herself just nodding slowly for a moment before looking back up at the visitor, regaining at least some of her composure. She had to deal with this person professionally. "Was there some unfinished business you had with her?"

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-22, 07:06 PM
Tamarie
The woman pulls back at the sight of tears dripping off your blindfold. "I’m Janiven," she says quietly, her hand rising to her face and brushing at her cheek. It leaves a dark streak of smudged, damp dust behind. "And I’m sorry to have mentioned her so soon…I didn’t know." Janiven falls silent and begins to pace the room from one wall to the other, an uncertain expression on her face. "I met her here once. This was an empty hovel," she says, and stands still, feet wide apart. "And I did have business with Agnes. I was supposed to meet her again at four bells at Vizio’s Tavern, but I decided to check this place out as well. I was surprised to see your shop."

Janiven sighs. "I don’t suppose you could join me at four bells to honor her memory?"

Amanita
The woman raisese her palms at you, seemingly in surprise at your response. "I did not know you had lost your brother, Miss Vallist," she says, "and I certainly did not kidnap him. However, I do know that you won’t find him wandering the streets."

The woman takes a few steps closer to you, as though to stop you walking away. "I also know that you are not the only one who has had something precious taken from them. Instead of looking fruitlessly all on our own, a group of us are meeting at four bells this evening at Vizio’s Tavern. Do you think you can come?"

Corath
The crowd around you begins to disperse, but it is by no means quiet in the square. With the specatcle over, people are going back to their business facing the plaza or at open stalls lining the streets. "Walk with me," says the woman, leading you through the mass of people. You follow, not really looking or caring much where you’re going. The streets are all familiar at a glance, so you know the woman isn’t taking you somewhere unknown or dangerous. After some time, she speaks, sounding disappointed. "I’m sorry to say it would be hard to find anywhere truly quiet at twelve bells. Unless you want to visit the north end! And after that, what I have to say might not be the best thing to hear." You notice you’ve stopped, just in front of the modest shrine to Idomedae at which you’ve been staying. "Honor him. And then, if you would, honor me at Vizio’s Tavern at four bells. Then we shall have some talk."

Ducan
"I do know what you want to hear,"[b] says the woman, throwing back her own hood. Her eyes hold pity, whether for your loss or your insecurity at needing to you’re your face you’re not sure. [b]"You want to hear that someone will pay them back for what they did to you. You want that someone to be you. And you want me to tell you it might be. Well, it might be.

"But wearing a hole into your chair here isn’t going to get you what you want. Coming to Vizio’s Tavern at four bells this evening might. Ask for Janiven." With that, she throws her hood back up. You think you catch a slight roll of her eyes as she does so, but her mouth remains still and expressionless.

Paimon
"Yes, it seems sometimes even the walls have ears," says the woman. "and I understand if you don’t feel safe after what happened. However, the night holds worse perils and if you want to shelter behind walls, deaf walls, tonight, I can help you. My name is Janiven, and I’m on my way to Vizio’s Tavern, a short walk from here, to meet a couple of friends. Would you like to join me?"

slugboy_73
2011-08-22, 07:22 PM
"Vizio's Tavern and four bells", nods Corath. "I shall be there".

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-08-22, 09:19 PM
Paimon
"Yes, it seems sometimes even the walls have ears," says the woman. "and I understand if you don’t feel safe after what happened. However, the night holds worse perils and if you want to shelter behind walls, deaf walls, tonight, I can help you. My name is Janiven, and I’m on my way to Vizio’s Tavern, a short walk from here, to meet a couple of friends. Would you like to join me?"
"A hot meal and a place to stay for the night without fear of Hellknights kicking down the door? Yes, please."

Vacuus
2011-08-23, 06:00 AM
"I see."

Amanita glanced around aimlessly while thinking about the matter. There was no indication that the woman had any useful information whatsoever, the entire affair may even be a trap of some sorts. Mysterious people approaching you randomly in the streets is usually a cause for concern.

On the other hand, Amanita had been rather short of leads lately, a short visit probably wouldn't hurt. Not to mention she sensed no hostility from the woman.

"I'll be there," Amanita replied.

Zefir
2011-08-23, 04:12 PM
Ducan

Inside his mind he makes puh. This Lady is annoying. First hidding and than this condescending gesture? She really doesn't know all.

"I will be there."

He will wait until she left and then since it is 3 bell he will go. He isn't quiet sure where the named tavern is exactly, but this seems to be the one tavern he never entered.

Feather Sigil
2011-08-25, 10:32 PM
Tam immediately guessed this Janiven was another rebel, affiliated with the Order of the Dragon. For what other reason would she have happened to meet Mother in this of all houses? Kazoden never told her for what the house was used before he gave it to her but it was so simple and out of the way it could have been a secret meeting place as much as a warehouse.

"Yes...sure, I'll be there, Janiven. Thank you."

There was nothing wrong with doing that. She'd have to close the shop a little early, was all.

They wouldn't be the only two there to discuss rebellion, most likely. Janiven would warm her up a little with small talk, perhaps buy a drink or two and then get right to the point. Tam would hear everything she had to say, say "No" in response and then leave, promising not to report anyone present that afternoon to the guards. Hardly different from when Mother tried it on her (only it was at home and thus considerably more awkward when it was over) or when Kazoden tried it on her. The Order wanted her for some reason, that much was clear, but while she would die to keep their secret, she would do nothing more than turn a blind eye.

"Where can I find the tavern?"

zimmerwald1915
2011-08-29, 08:03 PM
Paimon:
Janiven leads you to the back door of the Tavern, which opens into a kitchen. You see pots hanging from the ceiling, a massive oven, a narrow countertop and a basin full of water before Janiven shows you the way to the common room. "Make yourself comfortable,"[/color] she says, turning back into the kitchen. [b]"I’ll be getting food and drinks."

You notice that the common room is empty of people, and that all but one of the tables is covered in dust. All the windows leading outside are covered by heavy black curtains. There is no one behind the bar, but you can see Janiven through a window lighting the stove. When she is satisfied with the flame she hurries out and behind the bar, where she draws a mug of ale from a cask and gives it to you.

Tamerie, Amanita, Ducan, Corath:
You arrive shortly after four bells. The sun is dipping below the tallest buildings, whose shadows cover the streets, though it won’t be truly dark for some time. You can smell the stink of old fish from the Crescent Market on the waterfront. The Tavern itself looks like a solid building, but something about it is off-putting. After a few seconds you realize: the quieting streets are louder than this place. No light issues out the windows either. The door, however, is slightly ajar, and you can see candles flickering, inviting you to come inside.

When you enter, you see only one customer, a man with pale skin and horns sitting quietly at a table in the middle, nursing a drink. The woman you met earlier today is visible for a few seconds at a time, busy in the kitchen. Now that you’re inside you can hear the clattering of pans, and the smell of old fish is replaced by the smell of frying fresh fish and aged ale.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-08-29, 08:42 PM
Paimon savors the taste of the ale. Sure it wasn't Corentyn wine, but the only alcohol he'd ever been allowed was cheap, watered-down swill. And not because of who he was. That was all the Lowpier Players could afford for celebrations after a successful opening or closing. He looks with curiosity at the people arriving at the tavern. Something told him Janiven wasn't offering him a meal out of the sheer goodness of her heart, though she certainly had showed him more kindness than he'd come to expect from anyone. But he now realized she must have a motive.

Zefir
2011-08-30, 02:12 AM
Ducan enters the bar early as it seems. He only noticed the one man inside and the woman behind. He takes a seat next to Paimon.

"Hello." he sais.

After all he isn't sure if this man is one of the poor customers here or is here for the same reason. Either way Ducan looks after him closly, because his kind isn't known for beeing the good once.

Vacuus
2011-08-30, 02:36 AM
Amanita steps into the dimly lit bar, not a very welcoming sort of place for meeting of any sorts. She walks to the counter and takes a seat, not intent on standing for the duration of the wait.

slugboy_73
2011-08-30, 07:17 AM
Corath enters the tavern and offers everyone a soft, "Good afternoon"

He takes a seat with the others at the table, making sure that his falchion is accessable.

Zefir
2011-08-30, 08:15 AM
Ducan just nods at him responding with an "Hello"

The woman just got a nod.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-08-30, 11:00 AM
Paimon

"Hey there," Paimon replies. "Janiven invite you here too?"

Feather Sigil
2011-09-01, 11:38 PM
After Janiven left, Tam checked the bookcase again and got right back to waiting for any customers to arrive. No big deal, really. Just another rebel to decline. Maybe she could introduce her to Kaz, that they could work together. It was not at all strange that she could brush off knowing dissenters of Westcrown's rulers so easily, for it was something she grew up with. Tam didn't report them because she thought it was the right thing to do, though Alice certainly made a good point (as usual) that right now the last thing she needed was to have more reasons for the law to mercilessly throw the book at her, on top of the potential danger of being somewhere other than home when the sun went down. Hopefully the meeting wouldn't last that long.

At three bells, Tam closed her shop and made her way to her parents' graves. The graves were empty, for nothing recognizable as a corpse was found in the smoldering wreckage of the house they died in. Yesterday's funeral wasn't much, either: just herself, Kazoden and a few of Mother's friends from the Order of the Dragon. She paid for the tombstones and the graves and that was it.

After the funeral ended, Tam stayed while everyone else left. When she was alone with them, she knelt before the tombstones and apologized repeatedly. When she returned to the graves today, she did the same thing.

The four great peals died down as Tam laid eyes on the tavern. Soft, dim lights lit its windows but only the faintest murmurings escaped its open door. Hardly anyone would notice the place; they would be too busy getting things together before sundown. Tam looked all around before pushing the door open and walking in, shutting it behind her. Four people sat at a counter while Janiven darted in and out of the tavern's kitchen. A tall armoured man with grey eyes and a haircut one would expect from a priest. A thin lady with long black hair. A man sporting a rapier and dagger at his sides. The one that stood out the most was the one with pale skin, black eyes and horns on his head: a tiefling.

Tam inhaled sharply as she approached them. She didn't mind tieflings, but she knew their reputation. It was the reason for her wearing a blindfold: ever since she had a vision of her parents' death her eyes were permanently stained black and the last thing she wanted was to have to endure constant suspicion and harassment from people who suspected she was a tiefling.

She quickly took a seat next to the black-haired lady. "Hello, everyone. Are you all here for the meeting with Janiven as well?"

With the DM's permission, rolling a Linguistics check instead of a Profession check for whatever income she makes today. The result will be in gold pieces and I'll divide the result by seven since I'm going by one day instead of one week.

[roll0]

13 / 7 = 1.8. So, 1gp 8sp.

Vacuus
2011-09-02, 03:45 AM
Janiven? Perhaps that was the name of the woman from earlier.

"I know not of a 'Janiven', but assuming you're referring to the same woman I'm thinking of, I'm not here to meet with her," the black-haired lady responded, "I am here to meet with everyone else."

The lady paused for a moment before continuing, "my name is Amanita Vallist, pleased to make your acquantaince."

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-02, 12:08 PM
Paimon

"Wasn't aware she was holding some sort of meeting here, but she offered me food and shelter for the night, which is a damn sight kinder than I'm used to. So I'll hear what she has to say. Name's Paimon. Formerly of the Lowpier Players, though I'd appreciate it if you didn't spread that around. Have no idea if the Hellknights are still out for my blood."

Zefir
2011-09-03, 06:31 AM
Ducan is very disappointed for now. He was told to hear something of intressed, but for knoe he just heared some smal talk.

"We are here for a reason. And if I assume right we all share a goal here. Janiven may knw thisand I assume she is able to clear things up."

Feather Sigil
2011-09-06, 01:38 AM
So their stories were all different. It didn't surprise Tam that the offer of honouring Mother was a lie, but it did surprise her that at least four of their number were lead her under completely different false pretenses--some of them weren't even aware of their host's name. The armoured man believed they shared a goal but that could not be so if such measures were what it took to get them all together here.

At least this was different from past insurgent gatherings she had attended.

"If we all share a goal, why do we all have different interpretations of what this gathering ought to be? Seems we're here only for Janiven's goal for us, whatever that is. Paimon, we know why you're here, but what about the rest of you? How did she convince each of you to come?"

Vacuus
2011-09-06, 05:04 AM
"I see," Amanita says, a look of disappointment clearly shown on her face.

It's too soon to give up, Amanita thought, but Tam's words had a stronger impact than she might have expected. Still, there's no harm in trying, I guess.

"I guess I'll be the one to start," Amanita adds, as she gets up from the counter.

"I am here as I was promised that someone here had information regarding a man named Waern. That is all."

slugboy_73
2011-09-06, 09:33 AM
Corath remembers his manners

"My name is Corath,"he begins. "I am here due to differences with the current regime.

Sorry for the lack of posts, RL has been crazy

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-06, 01:30 PM
Once you’ve all gathered and introduced yourselves, Janiven—you all know the name by now, either from her or from the others you met in Vizio’s—emerges from the kitchen balancing three trays in her arms. The first contains five mugs of ale, which she gives to everyone except Paimon, who has one already. One she sets down on the bar far away from any of you. The other trays bear a large bowl of roasted potato chunks covered in glistening and pungent olive oil, a platter of white fish filets bearing seared-black grille marks, and carved wooden plates and pewter forks. These trays go on the table at which Paimon’s been sitting, and Janiven gestures for those of you who have not joined him to take a seat.

"One thing before we eat," she says, going to the door and closing the latch. She then goes to the bar and picks up the mug she’d put aside. "A toast to those we miss most tonight. Ulrica, Larens, Waern, Agnes, Joel1, 2. None were known to everyone here, including me, but Agnes and Hilstrom were, and they deserve to be remembered not with silence, but with words. I suspect that is the same for the rest." As Janiven throws back her drink, her eyes glance at the door.

"Since you ask about Waern," she sighs to Amanita, "I’ll tell you what I know. He is not being held by the dottari. None of the city jails hold a man by that name. He could have been taken by the Hellknights of Rivad, and been held there, though I know not what would make them want him, or by the shadow beasts to wherever they take people."

1: Zefir
I took the liberty of naming your master Larens.

2: Slugboy
You recognize "Joel" as the man you saw executed today.

Vacuus
2011-09-06, 01:58 PM
Amanita stared at the food that Janiven carried out of the kitchen, she was completely unaccustomed to food of that sorts. Most of her meals consisted of bread and dried meat of some sorts, on special days, she would treat herself to a loaf of sweet bread. Roast potatoes and grilled fish were completely alien to her, so much so that their appearance and aromas were all that she was thinking about.

That is, until Janiven mentioned the name Waern. Amanita immediately straightened up and listened intently.

----

Unfortunately, Janiven's words are less useful than Amanita had hoped, on the bright side, at least his death has not been confirmed. As long as he isn't dead, there's still a chance, Amanita thought.

After mulling over her thoughts for a moment, Amanita spoke up, "do the Hellknights you speak off keep logs of the people they take?"

slugboy_73
2011-09-06, 02:19 PM
Corath joins Janiven in toasting the missed people. He hopes that Joel's soul is at peace.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-06, 04:54 PM
Paimon

"To the dead."

Paimon raises his glass and then takes a long pull before setting it down and enjoying the meal. For a man who's had nearly nothing to eat for the past few days, and has NEVER had anything like this before, he takes his time, carefully picking the fish apart before eating it, and cutting the potatoes finer than Janiven had. An actor's every movement was made with care, and while many could see in his eyes unbridled joy, he was trying to avoid behaving like a starving animal.

Zefir
2011-09-07, 02:00 AM
Ulrica, Larens, Waern, Agnes, Joel and Hilstrom. So one Name for every person right here. He also toast when Janiven calls for them, but after Paimon's words he just place the mug on the table again.

"It seems we all lost someone to the current situation in this place. I see why you got us together Janiven. I'm ready to do something, since this place really needs to change."

He looks at the other just to see if they are rather shocked or support this.

slugboy_73
2011-09-07, 06:45 AM
Corath nods his head.

Yes, a place where rule is just and good, not just the mighty over the weak.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-07, 09:10 AM
Paimon

Paimon sighs.

"I'm just a man whose circumstances went beyond his control. But now I've nowhere to go, so I'd be open to joining a crusade or something. Especially if I can make those thugs in fancy, black armor pay."

Feather Sigil
2011-09-07, 11:05 AM
Tam slowly raised her mug to the toast. She felt an unseen hand gently grasp her hand and turn it, nearly tipping the mug over, but she quickly freed her hand and corrected the mug. "To the ones we love. May they find peace, wherever they are." The words only made her feel hollow, empty. What ironic right did a murderer have to wish peace on her victims? She kept her head down, staring at her food, sharp pangs of longing and regret slicing through her heart.

Not one to pass up a free meal, Tam ate while listening to the others, keeping a tight grip on her cutlery. It seemed as though they were each declaring their motivations. Amanita searched for someone, Paimon seemed to just want to get by, while Corath and the Rapier-and-Daggers were openly rebellious.

I'll have to decline the offer soon--the moment it's made, I guess. I can't do this. They're going to investigate my parents' death and the destruction of the Elmeans' house. They'll find out about my business sooner or later. What good will it do to become an enemy of the state? Really? There are plenty of rebels out there. None of them have ever succeeded in changing anything. What's the point? Wouldn't it be better trying to live within the system as best you could?

Then again, what is the system really doing? They may declare to be dedicated to order, but there's still plenty of crime and those shadow creatures run unchecked.

A silence descended upon the table after everyone else spoke. Perhaps they were waiting for her to add her feelings, perhaps not. She certainly felt a growing pressure to say something. Tam took a couple of deep breaths before looking up at the others, raising her mug again. She didn't expect them to toast once more, but the gesture was meaningful in itself.

"I'm Tamarie Rivern. Agnes Rivern was my mother...and my hero. She was a dottari, but to the commoners she dedicated herself to aiding, and to me, she was--pardon the cliche--a knight in shining armour. She, along with my father, died earlier this week." Tam lowered the mug. "It's one thing to wish for revolution, but what would you really do about all this?" She didn't speak to anyone in particular, but rather all of them.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-07, 02:22 PM
Paimon

"Earlier this week? That sounds like a familiar story. Ulrica was the one I lost, just about a week or two ago. Run through by a Hellknight's sword, right after she told me to run. Your mother was a dottari, you say? Did she ever mention an incident that happened in that time frame? A raid led by the Racks on a small actor's guild?"

Feather Sigil
2011-09-10, 10:34 PM
That did sound familiar...

"Yes...it was because of a controversial play, right? They slaughtered the guild, tore down the theatre and destroyed every copy of the script they could find. Something about a tiefling who--oh." Realization turned Tam's gaze away from Paimon. "Well, I'm very sorry for your loss. Mother wasn't involved in that operation, but she was furious the night it happened. She only found out about it after it happened; otherwise she might have tried to stop them from going so far...Why bother having laws at all when they can inflict such destruction on their own whims? Over a mere play, no less--sorry, Paimon, I didn't mean it like that. And I promise I won't mention you or your affiliation with the Lowpier Players to anyone."

OOC

He has horns, so we would have all figured out by now that he's a tiefling, right?

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-10, 11:23 PM
Paimon

"No apology necessary. I agree. The Hellknights claim the reason they exist is to beat civilization into mankind. Whip them like dogs to keep their animal impulses in line. But for all that talk, the Hellknights are just as beastly when allowed free rein. If I weren't lying low and trying to keep the last copy of the script safe I'd find some way to strike back at them, or at the church that ordered the raid, SOMETHING! I can't make things better by just sitting on my hands. I suppose that's why I was invited here in the first place."

Yeah, Paimon isn't even attempting to hide his heritage, so unless they think he's some sort of satyr, it's a pretty safe bet they know he's a tiefling. :smallbiggrin:

slugboy_73
2011-09-11, 06:15 AM
"They wiped out a group of people just because they did not like their art?" asks Corath. "This group has much to answer for"

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-11, 12:29 PM
Paimon

"Bit more complicated than that. They though having a tiefling depicting their god was blasphemous. That and the plot doesn't depict him in the most flattering light. I don't know if you've seen a lot of Chelish theater, but when Asmodeus is mentioned, they tend to use flowery praise, depicting him as the inevitable ruler of all and wisest of the gods. This play didn't do that. Its depiction of Iomedae as an equal to him and the overall questioning of his primacy pissed off the church big-time. They've got no respect for classy art."

Zefir
2011-09-11, 12:40 PM
"The Hellknights have allways shown a short mind. They use their strength to fear people, but non of them would be able to create a trap or some tactics."

Ducan mention. It seems he wanted to say more, but he first waits for Paimon, since it is him who have the attention.

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-11, 04:45 PM
Janiven eats in silence for most of the meal. She speaks only to answer questions directed at her, like Amanita’s. "Meticulously," she says, swallowing a chunk of potato. "They want their plated asses covered in case they end up in a conflict with the dottari over jurisdiction after taking their prisoner. But they keep their books locked up tight in Citadel Rivad. But if he never spoke out against the regime, they wouldn’t have noticed him. But the shadow beasts, they’ll take anyone they catch out at night, so Thrune can continue to terrorize and oppress the people of Westcrown." For the most part, however, she lets you talk amongst yourselves. Every so often you catch the corner of her lip twitching upwards at something you said, but her eyes keep tracking over to the locked door. Finally, when everyone’s plates are cleared—after a much shorter time than you’d wished, especially Paimon—she gathers them up and stacks them on the bar. She walks over to a window and raises the corner of one of the heavy, black curtains in order to look out. She sneezes at the dust it kicks up: you can see it dancing in the shaft of yellow light that beams onto the floor of the tavern. After a few seconds, Janiven replaces the curtain and joins you again at the table. She does not sit down, but stands by her chair, her arms at her sides.

"I won’t keep you much longer," she says. "There is enough time to reach your homes before true nightfall, but only just. Of course if you wish to stay the night you are welcome." She coughs again, whether from nervousness or the dust you can’t tell.

"You’ve all shared something of your stories, hopes, and fears with me, and with one another, and we all have one thing in common. We have all suffered, and it’s down to the way this city is run. I have lived here my whole life, and I love Westcrown, but it has become a dark place. Fear should not be an expected part of life, yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps. Peace, such as it is, and prosperity for the nobles and rich men, has been bought in the coin of fear and in prayers to Hell.

"Other lands live free from tyrrany. Other cities do not fear the night. Other governments do not cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows. Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and docks and history—she is also her people! With but a small group of supporters and dedicated comrades, we can earn the trust and admiration of these people. A Westcrown with the people behind us is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!" As she gets to the end, she slips into a rhythm, gaining force but losing touch a bit with the way the conversation has gone so far. You suspect she rehearsed this little speech. After she finishes, she begins to lower herself down into her chair when the door rings with an excited pounding. Janiven darts over to the window and raises the curtain again, and unlocks and opens the door.

An out-of-breath teenager slips in and collapses with his back against the door, slamming it shut with his body. Janiven locks it again, but your attention is focused on the boy. His eyes are wide, and his cheeks pale. "They’ve got Arael!" he says through his panting, and doubles over in warm, wet coughs.

Janiven pats him on the shoulder and quickly draws enough ale for a few mouthfuls from the open cask behind the bar. "Tell me what happened," she says softly as she gives it to him.

The boy sips at the ale and hiccoughs, but after a few moments he calms down enough to talk coherantly. "The dottari nabbed Arael, and the Hellknights of the Rack are trying to get custody of him! There’s a bunch of Hellknights on their way here now! I only just made it in here; they were right behind me!" His story is confirmed by the sound of clanking armor coming from what seems like all sides of the tavern.

The door reports again, this time like a bass drum, as a deep male voice calls in "We have you surrounded. Give yourselves up!"

Janiven, it seems, has no intention of following their commands, however. She hauls the youth up on his feet and carries him behind the bar. Together, they lift up a heavy trap door in the floor. No dust cascades into the air this time, and the hinges glide silently past one another. "This leads to the sewers," says Janiven in a breathy voice, gesturing to the open trap door. "We should be able to lose them."

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-11, 10:40 PM
Paimon

"Don't have to tell me twice!"

Paimon, having just finished his meal dashes over to the door to follow Janiven and the newcomer Morosino.

Vacuus
2011-09-12, 04:24 AM
Amanita followed Janiven, but something seemed amiss to her. Stirring up talk of a revolution, only to have the Hellknights here just after? Nonetheless, Amanita had no intention to stick around and endure the Hellknights.

Zefir
2011-09-12, 04:45 AM
Ducan listen to her quietly.There is nothing wrong in her words.

"It's time to show them that we won't stay there any longer."

And then the man stomps in Ducan suddendly jumps up and ready his weapons. After he saw that the man is known by Janiven, he drags them back. Hellknights knocking on the door made him again preparing for everything. Ducan runs to the sewer entrace.

"Seems like we drag this to a lower level." he sais with a smile after climbing down as fast as possible.

slugboy_73
2011-09-12, 06:51 AM
"Nothing like a little adversity to bring folks together, "says Corath as he moves to go down the trap door.

Feather Sigil
2011-09-15, 08:38 AM
Tamarie smiled at Janiven as she gave her speech, admiring her passion--all their passion, really. They weren't the only ones. She had seen this sort of thing before--many in Westcrown were sick of the system, eager to see change. Indeed, the system was heavily flawed, but an ordinary person couldn't be expected to change it, which was precisely why most people didn't try. What would they aspire to do, murder the House of Thrune? Destroy all the Hellknights? Venture into Hell itself and strike down Asmodeus? Her parents' library used to have a few books like that: hero stories of extraordinary deeds and unlimited courage, with heroes who lacked normal flaws. But real life wasn't that. Nobody could ever live up to that standard. They would try, driven by sheer passion, and fail. They would end up dead, in jail or the prey of the shadows. That was the way it had always been. If revolution had any chance of success, would it not have already had its chance in the near-century since Thrune seized power?

Yes, we already know this. Why are you still thinking about it? It's getting late! Just tell her you're not interested and get out of here, already!

Tam rose to her feet and opened her mouth, but in that instant there was a loud bang on the door and suddenly everything changed. Before she knew it, the building was surrounded by Hellknights and her feet instinctively carried her towards the only available escape.

"But--I told you this was a bad ide--not now!"

Her voice momentarily changed, mixing with another, deeper voice, as if a second woman was speaking in perfect unison with her. Tam remained at the trap door while everyone else leaped into it, looking at the young man in Janiven's arms, seeing if he was wounded. She entered only when the three of them remained.

"Who do the two of you work for?"

OOC

To give an example (in the wrong gender, but it's the only thing I could think of off the top of my head) of the two-voices-at-the-same-time thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlOmZY-mPhI (1:56 onward)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkFgRbgRyPY&feature=related (0:25-0:31)

I'm not sure if I'm just going to use colour-switching or something else, but you'll know it when you see it.

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-16, 09:51 AM
"Go with Morosino" says Janiven, ushering you down the trapdoor. "He knows the way." The youth looks at her, biting his lip, but Janiven smiles and gives him a little shove. "I'll join you in a moment." She looks askanse at Tam as Morosino starts to lead her down the passage. "And I’ll tell you then." She closes the trap door, and the passageway plunges into blackness. Morosino and Janiven seem to know their way by touch, however. You can hear Janiven working a mechanism, and the sound of wood crunching and splitting against stone.

"Hold hands," says the youth, "It’s not far." You move slowly in the darkness, your feet padding on a slightly damp, sandy, downward-sloping floor. Occasionally, one of you brushes up against the walls, which feel like they’re made of badly laid brick. Finally, the path levels out and you hear the creaking of rusty hinges. A pungent odor of garbage and waste wafts towards you. "We'll wait here for Janiven," says Morosino. To Tam, he says, with evident pride, "I'm Arael’s assistant at the Temple of Iomedae. I'm going to be a priest someday."

Anyone with Darkvision:
You are able to avoid brushing the walls, though you do not really see anything of note. The door Morosino opens is of hard oak, a wood slow to rot even in the warm, moist sewers. Beyond the door you see that the sewers themselves are much better made than this tunnel that leads to them, with stone walls and floors.

Behind you a light flares into being. It is Janiven, holding a thick wooden rod whose tip glows with a wan, unnatural light. If you couldn’t tell by the smell, her light reveals that the oaken door Morosino opened leads out into the sewers. The walls and floor are light grey stone with black flecks that reflect the light of Janiven’s rod. She squeezes past you and into the sewers, where she holds the rod as close as she can to the far wall. You see there, illuminated by the rod, a crude drawing of the head and shoulders of a man in profile. The man looks off to the right, and one arm raises a sword above his head; this sword points to the left. Janiven steps confidently to the left and shoves aside a boulder that had been leaning against the wall by the door. You can no longer see her with the door open, though her rod’s light continues to show you where she is.

"Good, they’re still here. Come," she says. After you and Morosino have all entered the sewers, she pushes the door shut and lowers a heavy oaken bar. Morosino leans down to where the boulder stood, and lifts out a metal box. Janiven pulls out a key and opens it, revealing twenty-one small compartments, each containing a corked glass phial filled with light blue liquid. "The barrels over the trap door will slow the Hellknights down," she says, taking three phials for herself and passing the box to Morosino, "As will the tanglefoot bag I rigged to break when they open it, and the bar on this door. But we won’t have time to stop and rest." As she talks, Morosino takes three phials for himself and passes the box to Paimon.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-16, 11:17 AM
Paimon takes three of the vials like the others have done before passing it to Tamarie.

Vacuus
2011-09-16, 10:28 PM
Amanita takes 3 of vials as Paimon passes it to to Tamarie. She inspects the fluid in the vial closely.

OOC
Appraise: [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll1]

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-16, 11:16 PM
Amanita
The liquid inside the phials seems to pulse, beating against the glass like the heart of a tortoise against its belly shell. You recognize the feeling, and the color, from stores that the Churches of Asmodeus sometimes distribute to the people. A healing drought. Anyone else selling such merchandise, you have been told, is heretical, and thus you do not believe that the phials would not get you much on the open market.

Feather Sigil
2011-09-17, 10:44 AM
The next several minutes were a blurred rush of darkness, foul stenches and hushed, echoing conversation as they all made their way through the sewers. Tam went along without protest, as she had hardly any choice in the matter. She pinched her nose between her fingers, but could still taste some of the smell on her tongue--which seemed far worse upon a moment's thought. She could barely see and didn't know any pathways through the sewers, so for now she was completely at the mercy of Janiven and Morosino. Thoughts of being surrounded by Hellknights in this dark, cramped space would not leave her. Alice's constant frustration and apprehension didn't help.

When Tam held the box, she grimaced as her nose was assaulted by the reek of the sewers. After Miss Vallist took her three vials from it, she set the box down--there were nine vials remaining--and never took her eyes off of it as she firmly grasped one of the vials and carefully removed it--eight left. Another one of the vials--seven left--immediately rose into the air, moving in unison with hers; she quickly snatched it from the air and put both of those into pockets in her robe. Tam swiftly took one more--six left--and gave the box to Corath before any more vials could levitate. Placing the last vial in her pocket, she could feel them shaking a little. Two in the right pocket, one in the left. The light blue liquid looked familiar.

"I recognize this: Mother always carried one or two with her. The liquid grants rapid healing to the body, doesn't it?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-17, 12:39 PM
Paimon

Paimon blinks in surprise at the levitating bottles.

"Right...that was not normal."

His tone is curious, rather than insulting.

Feather Sigil
2011-09-18, 02:10 AM
Tam feigned absolute innocence, maintaining a calm face and tone, as if what just happened somehow escaped her notice.

"I don't imagine any of us expected things to turn out this way, Paimon. All we can do is hope for the best, right?"

You're wasting your time and you know it...don't get mad at me! I'm trying to help us. I'm always trying to help us.

Hopefully he hadn't picked up on her reactions to the floating vials, focusing only on the vials themselves. Hopefully nobody else did. Hopefully the display didn't trigger any recollections of the immediate past. Hopefully they wouldn't become mistrustful of her out of sheer superstition...

In the end, she just wanted to go home--both her past home and her current one. No Hellknights, no sewers, no rebellion, no questions about why her voice changed and things tended to levitate around her. Just the night sky, her bed and sleep, all nice preludes to a new morning of translation and reading.

Tammy, you know we can't keep this from happening. Who knows how long it'll be before we get to go home? What might happen between now and then? I think you should tell them the truth.

Are you mad?!

How in the Nine Hells is she supposed to make being an unwilling vessel for poltergeists sound positive?

Lying won't help and telling the truth won't help, yes? So what do we do?

slugboy_73
2011-09-18, 06:06 AM
Corath takes his three vials out and holds them out with his hand open hoping they will do something. After a few moments, when they do not float up on their own he puts them in a pouch with a small look of disappointment.

Zefir
2011-09-18, 08:43 AM
Ducan isn't able to see much in the darkness, but thats rather common for him.

"Home sweet home."

Ducan sees that everyone is taking three vials ad after Corath took his one there are only 3 left. He goes and picks them up. There is no visible bag where he could put them, but after he took them under his cape they where gone and his hands where free.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-18, 09:11 AM
Paimon

The tiefling looks at Janiven.

"So...where are we headed? I can take point if you like, since I don't need a torch to see in the dark, but I have no clue where to go."

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-19, 01:54 AM
"We follow these symbols," says Janiven, pointing at the chalked man holding the sword. "Arael and I made these markes so people could find their way through the sewers to our hideout. The sword does not always point the same way, but it always points the right way." She begins walking purposefully down the path, and beckons for you to follow her. "As for taking point, we should make use of light while we have it, and get as far away from the tavern as possible. The Hellknights might take a few minutes to search the tavern, but some are going to follow us down here after they grab a lantern and make torches. They might even try to infiltrate the sewers ahead of us if they can guess our route. We need to keep moving, with all speed."

Vacuus
2011-09-19, 04:04 AM
"And is that hideout safe? If they've found it already, we'd be walking right into their grasp," Amanita says as she trudges on.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-19, 11:46 AM
"We follow these symbols," says Janiven, pointing at the chalked man holding the sword. "Arael and I made these markes so people could find their way through the sewers to our hideout. The sword does not always point the same way, but it always points the right way." She begins walking purposefully down the path, and beckons for you to follow her. "As for taking point, we should make use of light while we have it, and get as far away from the tavern as possible. The Hellknights might take a few minutes to search the tavern, but some are going to follow us down here after they grab a lantern and make torches. They might even try to infiltrate the sewers ahead of us if they can guess our route. We need to keep moving, with all speed."
Paimon

"I thought that went without saying. Let's move!"

He starts to follow the marks.

Zefir
2011-09-19, 12:38 PM
"We are in the sewers, non nonguilty person walks these street."

And Ducan keeps going right behind Paimon.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-19, 12:40 PM
Paimon

"This is Westcrown, guilt means something else here."

slugboy_73
2011-09-19, 01:22 PM
Corath gives a humorless smile and nods in agreement with Paimon.

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-20, 04:24 AM
You follow Janiven and Morosino down the sewer channel. Many tributary channels branch off, but you can see they slope up ever so slightly. They must lead to the street, and to the Hellknights on the street. Finally, you come to another intersection. The sewer water flows left and right, but in front of you there is a simple wooden door. You find the mark easily enough, and intact, on the wall to your right. The sword points at the door. Fortunately, someone propped an old tabletop over the channel, so you don’t have to jump or wade to get across.

The door opens easily, with only a little screeching from the hinges. You see that the path it leads to is dry, but that some of the masonry has fallen from the ceiling into the path.

Vacuus
2011-09-20, 06:26 AM
Time passed and Amanita had yet to receive and answer from Janiven or her companion. Sighing, she unwraps the spear she had been carrying and grips it tightly in her hands. If there was trouble ahead, she was going to be prepared for it.

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-20, 12:40 PM
Paimon

Paimon looks ahead to see if there's anything suspicious.

Perception check: [roll0]

slugboy_73
2011-09-22, 08:06 AM
Corath, who is behind Paimon, wonders why Paimon is staring at him so intently. He gives him a reassuring smile and a small wave, "Don't worry my friend. I have your back."

Gotta love a 3 on perception rolls!! :smallbiggrin:

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-22, 01:38 PM
Paimon shakes his head.

"Wha? Aroden's ass, even I'M having a hard time seeing down here!"

Zefir
2011-09-22, 02:01 PM
*clap* Ducan just Facepalm, but keeps quiet.

After all he keeps his eyes open for some ambush.

Feather Sigil
2011-09-26, 08:10 PM
The one saving grace of being in these sewers was the cramped spaces. They were forced to walk single-file, which was great for Tamarie since, blindfold or not, she could hardly see, but that didn't matter if she only had one direction to walk in anyway. More importantly, if the Hellknights attacked them here they could not be surrounded--they could still be overcome and captured but it was certainly better than walking into a battle-ready crowd of them.

With a rustling sound, a few pebbles shook loose and fell from the ceiling, bringing a small stream of dust with them upon her head. She wiped the dust out of her hair with a sigh. "Just how extensive is this network of passages, Janiven? Is there anywhere in Westcrown they don't lead to?"

zimmerwald1915
2011-09-28, 01:08 PM
"They don't cross the Westchannel into Rego Corna," says Janiven, picking her way through the fallen debris. Speed seems to be her greatest concern. "The island has its own system. But they go everywhere else. Amanita, you're right to worry, but there are others at the hideout now, and we have to warn them, tell them about Arael." The hallway you're in has been sloping gently up, but now you reach a hump and it begins dropping gently down. Soon, Janiven's rod reveals a door, and a rusty iron ladder to your left, leading up towards the street. The door is unmarked.

"We can't be there yet," Janiven muses. "And we're still close to the tavern." She puts her hand on the door to open it, pausing to look back at you.

OOC:
I have the LSAT Saturday and a paper due on Tuesday, and Zousha's busy as well, so this'll stay slow. In the meantime, have a map!

http://i54.tinypic.com/29kxkxf.png

Folks are identified by their outlining: Janiven's black, Morosino's pink, and you all know your own speech colors. Paimon's standing next to the ladder.

Feather Sigil
2011-09-28, 11:35 PM
The ladder looked almost inviting--it would have been were it not for the time. They couldn't risk the surface now, especially if they were close to the tavern as their guide said, so why did they stop? Being stuck in the cramped hallway but not moving through it made the experience on a whole feel much worse than before. At least movement helped maintain one's focus on their destination, diluting the immediate present somewhat. Without that distraction, the confines of the corridor felt even more oppressive; the smells, mixed with those of seven people packed very close together, were even more foul than before.

Tam felt a series of small feet climb over her ankle. As she had no room to jump, she simply shut her eyes and shuddered, trembling on the spot. The most minute of squeaks echoed in the silent hallway.

"What do you mean, Janiven? Is there a reason we shouldn't press on? Surely you're not considering we go up there. If the sun hasn't set by now it should soon. Those shadow creatures, whatever they are, will stalk us at every turn."

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-09-29, 12:45 AM
Paimon

"Seems to me there's only one way out. Forward. Let's move out."

Vacuus
2011-09-29, 11:15 AM
"I see," Amanita replies. It seemed that she was going to be spending quite some time in the sewers. Fortunately, she's quite used to spending prolonged periods of time in the dark underground. As she walks, she hums a tune softly to herself.

OOC
Yay! We've covered 30 feet! Onwards party!
Also, untrained Perform check: [roll0]

Zefir
2011-10-05, 05:11 PM
"I think we should go inside no point in waiting here any longer right?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-05, 05:35 PM
Paimon

"Indeed. Let's kick that door in. If someone's on the other side, we'll just have to deal with them."

Feather Sigil
2011-10-06, 07:24 AM
There were people on the other side of the door? That must have been why Janiven hesitated. She probably hadn't recognized whatever voices she heard as allies--or had, as enemies. The surface was still not an option: there could be Hellknights up there in addition to the shadow creatures. But if Hellknights were before them as well as above...

"Is there no other path we walked by that we can take instead? A branch that connected to this one? If whoever is behind that door means us harm--we know who means us harm--then the rest of the path forward is compromised. We should avoid confronting such people if it's feasible."

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-06, 12:18 PM
Paimon

"I'm tired of running! Get outta my way."

Paimon pushes to the front of the group and kicks open the door.

zimmerwald1915
2011-10-11, 07:49 PM
"No, this is the way," says Janiven, pushing herself up against the wall to make room for Paimon. The signs pointed to the door that led us here, and there've been no branches off this hallway. We can't go back either. The Hellknights will have made it down from the tavern by now."

Paimon sees that the door opens out into another sewer channel, that the path to the right continues as far as he can see, and that the path to the left takes a turn a few feet from the door. As Paimon kicks open the door and advances, you all hear raised voices. It sounds like they were in the middle of an argument. However, they seem to stop at the sound of wood hitting stone. "Who's there?" you hear, accompanied by the unsheathing of swords. Two people in what looks like Hellknight armor come charging from around the corner. "Halt!" says one, raising his sword.

Have an encounter. You guys go first.

http://i51.tinypic.com/8zlkyc.png

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-10-11, 08:27 PM
"BY WHAT RIGHT?" Paimon yells, trying to look as scary as possible.

Intimidate check: [roll0]

Vacuus
2011-10-12, 10:55 AM
Amanita advances and upon spotting the Hellknights, falls behind Paimon and begins casting a spell. The world fades to gray for a brief moment before snapping back to normal as she completes her incantation. A thin beam of blue light springs from her fingertips, directed straight at the Hellknight in front.

OOC
Move to F13 and cast Ray of Frost.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

slugboy_73
2011-10-13, 12:34 PM
Unless Janiven wants to back up there is not much Corath can do other than cheer on Paimon.

zimmerwald1915
2011-10-13, 01:05 PM
Unless Janiven wants to back up there is not much Corath can do other than cheer on Paimon.
OOC:
Janiven and Morosino will take their actions after you all take yours, at which point the Hellknights will take their turn. However, some space will probably open up in the hallway as other PCs move forward, so you might not want to declare this your action just yet.

slugboy_73
2011-10-14, 06:50 AM
Corath will hold his action to see if a space opens up near the melee. If so he will advance forward and attack with his morningstar due to lack of room to swing his falchion.

Morningstar (2-handed) +4 to hit, 1d8+4 dmg

Feather Sigil
2011-10-14, 07:11 PM
"Paimon, wait!"

But she couldn't stop him. Full of anger, he charged through the door to meet their fate head-on. Right into the hands of the enemy--who else but dottari or Hellknights would say "Halt"?

Great. Now we can't say they kidnapped us.

They would give in, or they would fight. Tamarie didn't want to do either but there was nowhere to run, or Janiven would have mentioned it. She was trapped.

If they're here, they must have found a path ahead of this one. They've cut it off. It's over...

We don't know that! Help them!

Yeah, might as well.

Paimon's right there, standing in their way. As long as he doesn't let them into this hallway, I'm okay...I just need to stay strong...

Tam shut her eyes and concentrated on the idea of courage. She let it surround her, fill her, flow through her until it danced at the edges of her fingertips. Certainly she was scared. Near-blind, surrounded by danger, on two hair-thin edges looking out at unpleasant and uncertain futures. But even with that fear, she could still press on. She could help them by giving them a courage that was not her own.

"Stay strong, everyone!"

Her voice carried the courage, spreading outwards, echoing through the tunnels. It made her feel a little better; hopefully it would do the same for the rest of them, if only for a time.

Tamarie casts Bless. All the PCs, Janiven and Morosino get +1 to their attack rolls and +1 to their saves against fear for the next minute (10 rounds).

She then moves either to D11 or to E11, depending on Zimmer's reply to my question. If Tam moves to D11, she will look up at the night sky and use her Guiding Star ability to determine exactly where she is. I will edit this post to include those actions.

Don't move backward, Paimon, or they'll get her. :smallsmile:

Tamarie
Tamarie Rivern (http://www.dndsheets.net/view.php?id=21644)
Female TN Human Oracle, Level 1, Init +1, HP 9/9, Speed 30
AC 12, Touch 11, Flat-footed 11, Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Light Crossbow (50) +1 (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Armoured Kilt (+1 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 17
Condition Bless (+1 attack rolls, +1 saves vs. fear)

Spell Slots
L0: Infinite
L1: 3/4

Durations
Bless (1 minute): 10/10 rounds