PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH] X-Com Multiplayer Sys

Maldraugedhen
2011-08-17, 11:05 PM
So.

I had another homebrewing fugue stirred up by a request a little while back, and I'm currently working on a play-by-post system for an X-Com game--that could, if greatly streamlined and simplified, potentially work as a Diplomacy-style intrigue-y tabletop.

Essentially, each player controls their own nation's X-Com forces (except for one guy who plays aliens, separate from the GM because it's seeming very paperwork intensive and it allows imperfect knowledge for the aliens). Either all of the humans win, or the alien player and the last standing human player wins. Human players can try to subvert each other or stand united against the alien menace.

For now, I'm trying to keep the system as an imperfect knowledge system for the players, much like the X-Com PC game if you didn't read up on the wiki.

...Rather than paste it all here to assault you all with walls of text, I'm going to link you guys to the discussion I've got going on on it where the request was originally made. If this discussion gets lively enough, I'll crosspost it here, too, I guess.

Here it is. (http://z15.invisionfree.com/Revenant_Braves/index.php?showtopic=260&view=findpost&p=5135627)

I'd be interested in any feedback whatsoever, and if this turns into its own rules development thread, all the better. In particular, though, I'd be keen to hear suggestions on how to minimize the amount of data management necessary for the GM while retaining the essential X-Com feel. I'd also be keen to hear any suggestions for other gameplay to implement--for example, I had a suggestion to have one human player play a pure military game as the EDF (and they'd be good against giant bugs).

Obviously, if any of you guys would like to give the game a try when I have enough time to run it (I'm a bit stretched for the next couple of weeks), you'd be welcome to hop in, and if you want to use it for your own purposes, feel free.