PDA

View Full Version : Arcane spellcasters CAN heal

Elboxo
2011-08-18, 06:26 AM
So i was looking in the Complete Divine and i noticed the feat Spontaneous Healer, p84 only requires you to be non-evil and have 4 ranks in knowledge religion. From there you can swap out prepared spells for Cure Light wounds.... Heals from the wizard, anyone? Only downside is you can only do it a number of times = wisdom modifier.

CTrees
2011-08-18, 06:31 AM
That still sounds... suboptimal, to put it nicely. Sorc+UMD+wand of lesser vigor seems vastly preferable, and a rogue/bard/whatever would be an even better choice, imo.

Feytalist
2011-08-18, 06:39 AM
Synostodweomer. Granted, it's a 7th level spell, but still. It's also only themselves.

Also, get somehow turned into a construct and use repair spells.

If a sorcerer, it's also possible (subject to DM approval) to research the cure line.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-08-18, 06:51 AM
So i was looking in the Complete Divine and i noticed the feat Spontaneous Healer, p84 only requires you to be non-evil and have 4 ranks in knowledge religion

And that you have the ability to cast cure wounds spells. You still need domain (healing) access then. This is more of a non-cleric divine caster feat.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-18, 06:55 AM
The best HP healer I know is a bard / warweaver / bard / sublime chord with healing hymn.

At 20th level your 1st level spell slot heals 1d8+37 hp to 7 or 8 people at a short range.

Ernir
2011-08-18, 06:55 AM
Arcane spellcasters CAN heal

Bards find your lack of faith disturbing.

More to the point, yeah, arcane casters can. There are a few ways. I just haven't run into a situation where it's worth it.

Elboxo
2011-08-18, 07:06 AM
Synostodweomer. Granted, it's a 7th level spell, but still. It's also only themselves.

Also, get somehow turned into a construct and use repair spells.

If a sorcerer, it's also possible (subject to DM approval) to research the cure line.

Exactly why my latest character is a wizard warforged scout.
I see your guys points, also bard: I'm sorry.
It is barely optimized, BUT IT STILL EXISTS
and ofcourse as a spontaneous caster youcould get maximized CLW etc. Or arcane disciple that Shiz. Just something I wanted to point out

mootoall
2011-08-18, 07:10 AM
I'm also happier with a Dread Necromancer and an undead/TTS party.

gbprime
2011-08-18, 07:50 AM
I'm also happier with a Dread Necromancer and an undead/TTS party.

All hail the Tomb Tainted Warforged. Made of bone instead of wood. Vigilant bodyguard to Dread Necromancers everywhere!

Because you know, Cure spells are half effect on Warforged, but Inflict spells are full effect...

Objection
2011-08-18, 08:02 AM
Aren't there also arcane scrolls of cure light wounds and such (albeit more expensive than the divine versions)? And a wizard can copy a spell from a scroll into his/her spellbook iirc, even though that's a costly process.

Eldariel
2011-08-18, 08:06 AM
I don't mind the fact that my Polymorph, in lieu of winning everything forever, also heals the subject.

Tyndmyr
2011-08-18, 08:17 AM
Meh, bard has cure spells as arcane, making them eligible for Eternal Wands.

So...collection of Eternal wands of CLW or w/e. Done deal, inexpensive.

Jeraa
2011-08-18, 09:03 AM
Aren't there also arcane scrolls of cure light wounds and such (albeit more expensive than the divine versions)? And a wizard can copy a spell from a scroll into his/her spellbook iirc, even though that's a costly process.

A wizard can only copy a spell on the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list. The arcane healing spells are bard spells, not wizard.

The wizard could research and develop a version of the healing spells he can cast and copy into his spellbook though. (DMG, 198)

TSED
2011-08-18, 09:05 AM
Wizards and sorcerers had it in core, too.

"Wish."

The Glyphstone
2011-08-18, 09:09 AM

"Wish."

...If you're using Wish to replicate Cure spells, then someone is doing it wrong.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-18, 09:19 AM
...If you're using Wish to replicate Cure spells, then someone is doing it wrong.

Wish to replicate heal or revivify? (using limited wish)

The Glyphstone
2011-08-18, 09:19 AM
Wish to replicate heal or revivify? (using limited wish)

Okay, heal I'll give you...but Revivify wasn't a core spell.

Eldariel
2011-08-18, 09:26 AM

"Wish."

Polymorph, man!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-18, 09:26 AM
Didn't see there was a core-only restriction

Objection
2011-08-18, 09:37 AM
A wizard can only copy a spell on the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list. The arcane healing spells are bard spells, not wizard.

The wizard could research and develop a version of the healing spells he can cast and copy into his spellbook though. (DMG, 198)

Oh. Someone told me I could copy any arcane spell from a scroll. Oh well, it's a good thing I got more than one Cure Light Wounds scroll for that character then :smallbiggrin:

Unless I can't even cast that spell from a scroll, in which case ... poopie.

EDIT: OK, never mind, I'm an idiot.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-18, 09:56 AM
Didn't see there was a core-only restriction

TSED (the person I was quoting) mentioned Core. That was the 'core-only restriction'.

Godskook
2011-08-18, 10:02 AM
Arcane Disciple is far better known, from the same book, and combos well with the mentioned feat(especially on a wizard). Note that for Spont-Healer, you only need 1 of the relevant spells known and the rest on your class list.

@Object, that's Archivist with divine spells, rather than anything arcane.

Tetrasodium
2011-08-18, 10:22 AM
All hail the Tomb Tainted Warforged. Made of bone instead of wood. Vigilant bodyguard to Dread Necromancers everywhere!

Because you know, Cure spells are half effect on Warforged, but Inflict spells are full effect...

warforged aren't half healing to cure spells... they are

spells from the healing subschool and supernatural
abilities that cure hit point damage or ability
damage provide only half their normal effects to
a warforgedspells from the healing subschool and supernatural
abilities that cure hit point damage or ability
damage provide only half their normal effects to
a warforged
Goodberry & some others work 100%

Vladislav
2011-08-18, 10:36 AM
So i was looking in the Complete Divine and i noticed the feat Spontaneous Healer, p84 only requires you to be non-evil and have 4 ranks in knowledge religion. From there you can swap out prepared spells for Cure Light wounds.... Heals from the wizard, anyone? Only downside is you can only do it a number of times = wisdom modifier.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't work. The key points is that...

Benefit: You can use your spellcasting ability to spontaneously cast cure spells (from your class spell list) just as a cleric can. You may use this ability a total number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.See, the spells have to come from your class spell list. There are no Cure spells on the Sorcerer/Wizard class spell list. I guess you could first take Arcane Disciple feat to get Cure spells on your class list, and then Spontaneous Healer, but that's two feats spent on a rather weak ability. And you can do it a very limited number of times per day, and you need to keep your Wisdom reasonably high, which induces MAD.

Just get a Healing Belt.

FMArthur
2011-08-18, 11:54 AM
Pretty sure you can get Rainbow Servant's Cleric list capstone by 11th level.

Cruiser1
2011-08-18, 11:54 AM
If you want to heal with a full arcane caster like Sor/Wiz, learn the spell Light of Venya from Spell Compendium. Shoot two rays that each heal a non-evil creature of 1d6+10 hp, from a 3rd level slot. Almost as good as a cure spell (this maxes out as 32 hp healed, while Cure Serious Wounds maxes out at 39 hp healed) and being Evocation isn't affected by limitations on cure spells (such as half effect on warforged). Can double as a non-foolable Detect Evil, if you damage the target creature first and then hit them with this spell! :smallamused:

hangedman1984
2011-08-18, 12:39 PM
pfft, just buy a healing belt (MIC) and be done with it

Eisirt
2011-08-18, 12:49 PM
In the Complete Champion a Sorcerer can have as an ACF at level 5 forfeit 1 spell known/level in trade for access to the spell-list from 1 Cleric Domain. Makes you a devout Sorcerer, but you're casting Cure Spells, Heal and Regenerate as arcane spells....

Domain Access: Healing Domain
Granted Power: You cast healing spells at +1 caster level.
Healing Domain Spells
1 Cure Light Wounds: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +5).
2 Cure Moderate Wounds: Cures 2d8 damage +1/level (max +10).
3 Cure Serious Wounds: Cures 3d8 damage +1/level (max +15).
4 Cure Critical Wounds: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +20).
5 Cure Light Wounds, Mass: Cures 1d8 damage +1/level (max +25) for many creatures.
6 Heal: Cures 10 points/level of damage, all diseases and mental conditions.
7 Regenerate: Subject’s severed limbs grow back, cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +35).
8 Cure Critical Wounds, Mass: Cures 4d8 damage +1/level (max +40) for many creatures.
9 Heal, Mass: As heal, but with several subjects.

and of course a lot of Cures are on the Bard Spell-list anyway.

JaronK
2011-08-18, 01:45 PM
Make them be Necropolitan, then use Animate Dead for a Necrosis Carnex or just cast Black Sand. Either way, free all day casting forever after. Tomb Tainted Soul also works.

If not that stuff, then check out what Summon Monster can do...

JaronK

Tyndmyr
2011-08-18, 01:53 PM
Make them be Necropolitan, then use Animate Dead for a Necrosis Carnex or just cast Black Sand. Either way, free all day casting forever after. Tomb Tainted Soul also works.

If not that stuff, then check out what Summon Monster can do...

JaronK

Alternatively, Warforged and cast repair spells. Same basic concept.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-18, 03:41 PM
Or just summon something that can heal :P The ultimate form of victory!

Elboxo
2011-08-18, 03:44 PM
I see you boys brought out the other ways of healing, plus items.
I've now figures out that the most useful information on GITP can be found by posting a thread with a stupid suggestion and watching the others post about their better ways of doing it.....
Thanks for correcting me on the choice of spell and how it has to be on your list, very interesting that tombtainted warforged heal fully from inflict.... Very interesting indeed.....

What summoned monsters can heal?

mootoall
2011-08-18, 03:59 PM
Unicorns and puppies and glitter and rainbows and sunshine and happiness!

Tvtyrant
2011-08-18, 03:59 PM
Bralani (Summon Monster VI) (Cure Serious Wounds)
Avoral (Summon Monster VII) (Lay on Hands for 66 HP)
Lillend (Summon Monster VIII) (Cure Light Wounds)
Leonal (Summon Monster IX) (Cure Serious Wounds 3/day, Heal 1/day, Lay on Hands for 100 HP)
Couatl (Summon Monster IX) (Cure Moderate Wounds)

Using Planar Binding on a Ghaele (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghaele.htm) gets you at will cure light wounds, which is fantastic for out of combat healing.

gorfnab
2011-08-18, 04:16 PM
Arcane Disciple: Healing + Combat Medic (HoB) prestige class = Spell slots of 6th level or higher can be spontaneously converted into the spell Heal as well as functioning for lower level spells as a cleric's spontaneous healing casting.

The_Jackal
2011-08-18, 04:18 PM
Healing is overrated. Forget the cleric, just give me a rogue with UMD, a wand of cure light wounds, and a few scrolls of restoration. Problem solved.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-18, 04:24 PM
For sorcerers, an Empowered Undying Vigor of the Dragonlords (DrM if I'm not mistaken) can be quite useful in a crafted contingent spell.

Henge Guardian
2011-08-19, 04:13 AM
I like Arcane Disciple (Complete Divine) on a Sorcerer, plus Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon. Add Reach Spell (Complete Divine), and you can fling healing all over the place.

Elboxo
2011-08-19, 07:43 AM
I hear persisted mass vigor from a cleric is a pretty cool idea and doesn't afraid of anything.

Tyndmyr
2011-08-19, 07:57 AM
Sword of what was it...vampiric regeneration? The one where you get hp when you stab people.

Add the summoning reserve feat. Stab your endless supply of newly summoned minions as required for healing.

candycorn
2011-08-19, 01:21 PM
There's also Summon Monster 7, which can summon an Avoral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/avoral.htm), which is quite capable of healing. Augment summoning to boost its HP, and you have a potent heal dose. With the right item you can cast a summon monster 9, then maximize it for 5 avorals, each able to heal 80 HP.

That's 80 HP with a level 7 spell, 240 with a level 8 (+item), and 400 with a level 9.

That seems on par with most spells divine casters do.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-19, 01:27 PM
There is little you can't pull off by chaingateing solars.

It really is a better option than trying to max ranks in preform (BMX)

Drachasor
2011-08-19, 01:29 PM
There's also Summon Monster 7, which can summon an Avoral (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/avoral.htm), which is quite capable of healing. Augment summoning to boost its HP, and you have a potent heal dose. With the right item you can cast a summon monster 9, then maximize it for 5 avorals, each able to heal 80 HP.

That's 80 HP with a level 7 spell, 240 with a level 8 (+item), and 400 with a level 9.

That seems on par with most spells divine casters do.

SM 6 has the Bralani, which can use Cure Serious Wounds 2/day as a 6th levle caster. That's about 40 HP per summon (averages 19.5). Obviously there are more efficient methods than either one of these if you take the right feats.

Flickerdart
2011-08-19, 01:52 PM
There is little you can't pull off by chaingateing solars.

It really is a better option than trying to max ranks in preform (BMX)
Wouldn't it be Ride?

Drachasor
2011-08-19, 02:00 PM
You could also simulacrum a high level caster and keep them in a portable hole until needed.