PDA

View Full Version : Swordcoast Legacy [Preproduction]

Zombimode
2011-08-18, 12:59 PM
For those who are unsure, or those who dont have any idea whats the title is about: Yes, this is about Baldurs Gate. As a 3.5 PnP campaign.

As the tag in the title indicates this campaign hasnt started yet. Im still buisy with converting NCPs and creatures, and wraping my head arround how this thing will work. (And... uh.. with finding players...:smallannoyed: )

Today I will present you my latest work: the main villian: Sarevok.

If you dont know who Sarevok is, he is the main antagonist in the CRPG-classic Baldurs Gate, released in 1998. Like the Player Character he is the offspring of Bhaal, the dead god of death and murder.
Some images:
http://images.wikia.com/forgottenrealms/images/5/51/Sarevok_in_armor.jpg
http://img1.freeforumzone.it/upload1/768543_Sarevok_Red.jpg
And here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kmmggc6jH8) is the intro cinematic form Baldurs Gate.
The voice, the armor, the way he causaly snaps the neck of this poor guy with his bare hands... you know it means buisness when he shows up. He is threatening, dark and powerfull. But first and foremost he is badass.
Cliche? Maybe today. But it totally worked in 1998.

This is my first draft. Please keep in mind, I have not much experience in characterbuilding for 3.5

Sarevok Anchev, CR 15

Male human Psychic Warrior 3 / Fighter 2 / Warmind 9 / Warblade 1
Medium humanoid
Init +8; Senses Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Common, ?
AC 26 (armor +11, deflection +2, dex +3), touch 15, flat-footed 23
hp 174 (15 HD)
Fort +20, Ref +11, Will +6
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Melee +5 Vampiric Greatsword +24/+19/+14 (2W6+11+1W6/19-20)
Ranged
Space/Reach 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Atk +14; Grp +18
Atk Options Sweeping Strike, Crusaders Strike
Special Actions Chain of Personal Superiority, Chain of Defensive Posture, Moment of Perfect Mind, Iron Heart Surge, White Raven Tactics, Pearl of Black Doubt, Thicket of Blades
Abilities Str 18, Dex 19, Con 22, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 10
SQ Enduring Body, Battle Clarity
Feats Power Attack (1st lvl.), Combat Reflexes (1st lvl. human), Stand Still (1st lvl. PsyWar1), Waffenfokus (Greatsword) (2nd lvl. Fighter1), Hold the Line (3rd lvl.), open (3rd lvl. PsyWar2), Impoved Initiative (4th lvl. Fighter2), Martial Study (Crusaders Strike) (6th lvl.), Greater Resilience (9th lvl.), Martial Stance (Thicket of Blades) (12th lvl.), Robilars Gambit (15th lvl.)
Skills Bluff +8, Concentration +24, Intimidiate +16, Jump +12, Knowledge (Psionics) +9, Knowledge (History) +3
Possessions Mithral Full Plate of Speed +3 with armor spikes, Vampiric Greatsword +5, Ring of Protection +2, Gloves of Dexterity +6, Amulet of Health +6
Power Points 70
Powers Known
Force Screen
Expansion
Conceal Thoughts
Precognition, Offensive
Presience, Offensive
Hustle
Keen Edge, Psionic
Steadfeast Perception

For the reference: Fully buffed with his own powers, his attack line looks like this:
Melee +5 Vampiric Greatsword +30/+30/+25/+20 (3W6+19+1W6/17-20)
and his AC like this
AC 36 (armor +11, deflection +2, dodge +4, shield +6, insight +4, size -1), touch 19(25 against incorporal touch), flat-footed 32
and he has 204 hp

Even if dont get buff time, his Chain of Personal Superiority and Chain of Defensive Posture class features as well as the hast ability of his armor are all free action activated. And thanks to White Raven Tactics he can throw up 3 other buffs in one round (Expansion as swift action for 9pp).

Comentary
On the subject of Sarevok one can clearly mark how much has changed between the edition and how different the desing philosophies were. In the original game, Sarevok is a single class fighter with a massive HP boost. Thats it and its awesome. Sarevok kicks ass and takes names. He is terrifying, an unstoppable juggernaught.

With 3.5 there are two main differences:
1. High Level mundane melee sucks (for the most part, bear with me)
2. PCs and NPCs/Monster follow the same rules

I already broke with the 2nd principle. Out of frustration, I gave him a 36 point buy; otherwise his stats would be impossible to get with the normal 28 this campaign uses.

In 2e high level warrior types were pretty awesome. Yeah, a well played caster (especially a wizard) would overshadow the fighter. But while the casters could overperform, the fighter still fullfilled his role adequately: surving punishment, and beating (or shooting) the living crap out of things.
In 3.5 caster are overperforming, while fighters are underperforming.

Building Sarevok as a single class fighter was out of question. He would be the most laughable villian ever.

I toyed with some ideas and shortly thought about giving him some PSI-powers when I stumbled upon the Warmind PRC - and instantly fall in love. Strong, relevant and useable class features? Its own Manifester progression with Full Bab? Whats not to love?

I also like how his Manifester Power work with what is shown in the original game: from his character model and the videos Sarervok appears to be unusual large. But when you meet him in-congnito in Candlekeep he uses the standart human model (same for his later incarnation in Throne of Bhaal). While it was certainly not intended as such it is cool that you can explain this percieved difference in size with Sarevok actually using Expansion when the going gets tough.

On his equipment

First: I didnt count the value of his gear. So I dont know if he is overdressed or underdressed for an NPC of his level. But frankly I dont care. This campaign probably wont use WBL (and MagicMart) anyway, but instead will use the treasure, shops and prices like they are found in the original game.

His sword was easy. In Baldurs Gate Sarevok uses a (undroppable) Greatsword +5. In Baldurs Gate 2 you can find sword: this time its an Greatsword +2 with a weak vampiric special. In its description it is noted that it has lost much of its power. So I just added them together while using a standart 3.5 echantment: voila, Vampiric Greatsword +5.

His armor was a bit less straight foreward. Within the mechanics of the computer game he does not wear armor (since the original game ended completely after Sarevok drops under 1hp, the devs didnt felt the need to give him actual equipemt), but has an natural AC equivalent of 22, which was equal to then-Fullplate+3 (in 2e Fullplate gave +9 armor). He is also depicted with an extremly high Dex score, which was fully added to your AC in 2e regardles of armor. I felt Mithral Fullplate was in order. Then I saw the "Mithral Fullplate of Speed" special armor in the SRD which fits nicely with his strange permanent haste effect he has in the game. So he gets a Mithral Fullplate of Speed +3, with armor spikes (but of the course!) and a black paint.

The Ring of Protection is actually in his possesion in the game but not assinged to any inventory space. I just "corrected" the mistake.

The stat-boosting items are just to get his ability score at least close to what they are in the original.
His original stats would roughly translate into the following:
Str 22 Dex 18 Con 16* Int 14 Wis 12 Cha 13
*But for his buttload of HP he is supposed to have he needs a much higher Con score.

So, there he is. He is not even finished. There is still one feat slot open. And I thought about adding a template, but I havent really found something fiting.
Speaking about his feats: they are a complete lackluster. Robilars Gambit does nothing because he tries to have a relevant AC. For the same reason Im not sure how sensible a second stance is. He probably wants to stay in his Pearl of Black Doubt as much es possible.
And the rest... yeah I didnt give much thought on his feats.

So, do you like my Sarevok? Any advices on this build (or any mistakes for that matter)? His feat selection could really use a major overhaul.

Or: What would YOUR Sarevok look like if you were building him for 3.5?

Arundel
2011-08-18, 01:11 PM
I assume we are talking about his appearance at the end of the first game, his later appearances would be a far bit different.

I was a bit surprised at the level of him of however. If I remember correctly, your max character level in that game was roughly 5. He also had a party of his own in the fights, so I would be surprised if he was much over 7 or 8.

Zombimode
2011-08-18, 01:35 PM
I assume we are talking about his appearance at the end of the first game, his later appearances would be a far bit different.

I was a bit surprised at the level of him of however. If I remember correctly, your max character level in that game was roughly 5. He also had a party of his own in the fights, so I would be surprised if he was much over 7 or 8.

Not quite. In BG1 without the add on, the EXP cap was 89.000. That was enough for level 7-8 depending on your class.
With the expansion the cap was raised to 161.000 which allowed for another 1-3 levels, again depending in your class. Your endgame party would consist of 6 characters of levels 9-10.
I think with the expansion the endfight was made a bit harder. The stats I based this on are the one from the expansion (since this is the more complete version of BG, I treat it as canon).

The complete enemy party at the end:
Sarevok, level 15 fighter, with twice as much HP as he could have at this level: incredible 312 hp! Even in Throne of Bhaal, the epic level conclusion to the series you will be hard pressed to find something with similar hp.

Semaj, level 12 wizard (conjurer), but since there are only 5 spell levels in BG1, he is a bit watered down.

Angelo, level 12/12 fighter/wizard (he mostly shot Arrows at Detonition at you, and did not cast that much).

Tazok, Half-Oger level 11 fighter.

This party is clearly more powerfull then the Players Party. But remember, Baldurs Gate is a computer game and was desinged as such. It can be expected from the human player to beat much stronger computer controlled enemies thanks to better tactics.