PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 spell to light a fire

agahii
2011-08-18, 03:21 PM
Is there a spell that lights something on fire and the fire is specifically maintained by the spell for some amount of rounds? I want to light an iron golem on fire and have the fire act as a fast healing for it. All 3.5/pathfinder sources good (i'm DM)

Id use alchemists fire but the Iron golem entry specifically says magical fire.

Andreaz
2011-08-18, 03:26 PM
Wall of Fire is a good one for double purpose, and it can be permanent.

I don't remember the source(probably FR), but there's a level 2 evocation, named "combust", that is basically what you want. The guy keeps taking fire damage until he makes a reflex save.

NNescio
2011-08-18, 03:31 PM
Wall of Fire is a good one for double purpose, and it can be permanent.

I don't remember the source(probably FR), but there's a level 2 evocation, named "combust", that is basically what you want. The guy keeps taking fire damage until he makes a reflex save.

Lords of Darkness, Page 185; Magic of Faerun, Page 85, and Spell Compendium, Page 50.

The SpC version is technically the 'correct' one, since it's published the latest (and is explicitly mentioned to 'update' spells from previous splatbooks if they share the same name.)

agahii
2011-08-18, 03:33 PM
Cool, thank you. I suppose a cursed item or some such would have worked to, I just want a thematic thing like the wizard casts a spell and lights the golem on fire.

Keld Denar
2011-08-18, 03:37 PM
Funny, I did a nearly identical thing with a Cadaver Collector (MMIII) that had a couple of Shocker Lizards attached to it. Permahasty spiked golem ahoy!

Do any Shocker Lizard varients exist for other energy types? Lava Lizards, for example?

agahii
2011-08-18, 03:38 PM
Awesome :)

hangedman1984
2011-08-18, 03:45 PM
Do any Shocker Lizard varients exist for other energy types? Lava Lizards, for example?

sounds like something fairly easily homebrewed

TwylyghT
2011-08-18, 05:15 PM
would an energy substituted melfs *fire* arrow work for your needs?

CTrees
2011-08-18, 05:19 PM
Bound fire elemental? Perhaps kept in a cavity inside the golem?

Olo Demonsbane
2011-08-18, 07:54 PM
Persisted Fire Substituted Creeping Cold.

Does 1d6 fire damage the first round, 2d6 the next, 3d6 the next...etc. By one hour after you're casting it, it's doing more than 600d6 fire damage per round.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-19, 01:01 AM
Persisted Fire Substituted Creeping Cold.

Does 1d6 fire damage the first round, 2d6 the next, 3d6 the next...etc. By one hour after you're casting it, it's doing more than 600d6 fire damage per round.
Doesn't a Persisted spell need a fixed range (or be a personal spell) to work?

Groverfield
2011-08-19, 01:28 AM
Not quite sure whether this counts or not, but "continual flame" spell makes an everburning torch, though if it's for some kind of sciencey-needs, then the spell won't work, as those torches don't produce heat, burn oxygen, or anything of the like...

I wonder what happens when you drop an everburning torch on a "Web" spell...

candycorn
2011-08-19, 05:48 AM
There's a psionic power, "Control Flame", that accomplishes precisely this.

ILM
2011-08-19, 06:52 AM
Like most evocations Combust is SR:Yes, which means good luck getting that on an Iron Golem. More generally, good luck setting an Iron Golem on magical fire...

Tar Palantir
2011-08-19, 07:28 AM
Like most evocations Combust is SR:Yes, which means good luck getting that on an Iron Golem. More generally, good luck setting an Iron Golem on magical fire...

Iron Golem fire healing is explicitly in addition to its magic immunity; that is, the golem heals even though it was immune anyway. This is further corroborated by the example spell being fireball, which is SR:Yes.

ILM
2011-08-19, 07:37 AM
Iron Golem fire healing is explicitly in addition to its magic immunity; that is, the golem heals even though it was immune anyway. This is further corroborated by the example spell being fireball, which is SR:Yes.
Huh, fancy that. Nevermind then!

ericgrau
2011-08-19, 01:34 PM
Heat metal may not be fire but it still deals fire damage over time. About 7 rounds IIRC, but most fights don't go longer than that. You could empower, maximize and maybe extend it too. If you're not allowed to cast it on the golem then you bolt a large piece of metal to him and it still works. IIRC you need to be a druid though, or have the right cleric domain, or UMD it (but then empower/etc. is hard).

subject42
2011-08-19, 01:35 PM
The Cloak of Immolation (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/magic-items/cursed-items#TOC-Cloak-of-Immolation) would do what you're looking to do, with the benefit of it also never coming off of the the Golem accidentally.

Munchkin-Masher
2011-08-19, 02:18 PM
Huh, fancy that. Nevermind then!

But that's wrong, Golems still heal from magical application of the element that heals them, if they didn't then what would be the point?

Non-magical fire? Don't make me laugh.

tyckspoon
2011-08-19, 02:42 PM
Not quite sure whether this counts or not, but "continual flame" spell makes an everburning torch, though if it's for some kind of sciencey-needs, then the spell won't work, as those torches don't produce heat, burn oxygen, or anything of the like...

I wonder what happens when you drop an everburning torch on a "Web" spell...

Continual flame is a light source. The 'flame' is a visual effect, nothing more; it does nothing an actual flame does. Thinking of it as a permanent Light spell is a much more accurate way to deal with it.

CTrees
2011-08-19, 04:08 PM
Non-magical fire? Don't make me laugh.

Actually... by RAW, does lava ever cool off? This is on the "drowning as healing" level, but have a small cavity full of lava inside the golem. Instant, permanent, non-magical fire damage healing.

ericgrau
2011-08-19, 06:07 PM
Except it doesn't heal the golem since It's non-magical fire. Either they're immune to fire or it hurts them instead. Not that it'd be OP (it's not exactly portable anyway) or unrealistic (the amount of heat to heal to full wouldn't significantly cool the lava pool), it just isn't allowed.