PDA

View Full Version : Need The Right Monster For This Situation

Dralnu
2011-08-18, 04:49 PM
A party of seven level 5 characters are on a huge platform that's suspended high up in the air by a large iron chain. The bad guys are ambushing the party from another platform nearby. The bad guys want to cut the chain so that all the character plummet to their doom.

I want a monster that the bad guys can throw onto the platform and start sundering that chain. The PCs would have to stop it before it succeeds in its task. What's an appropriate monster for this job? It's probably suicidal so something summoned, undead, or a construct would be best I think.

No, the PCs can't fly, so please don't bring that up.

Greenish
2011-08-18, 05:04 PM
Gold or Platinum Clockwork Horror?

[Edit]: They look the part: http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/467547-emperor_ren/547/36/clockwork_horror_display.jpg

Dralnu
2011-08-18, 06:12 PM
They even have saws for mouths! Bwahaha!

I may in fact use them. The fluff is rather problematic as they're intelligent beings and stuff. Are there any other ideas?

Nachtritter
2011-08-18, 06:14 PM
Giant Crab.

You can't go wrong with a Giant Crab, and I guarantee your players won't be expecting it.

Crow
2011-08-18, 06:18 PM
Armored-up troll with adamantine gauntlets could do it.

Eldariel
2011-08-18, 06:33 PM
Thoqqua (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/thoqqua.htm)? It's summonable with the contemporary SM/SNA spell and pretty much exists to melt things down. Maybe a couple?

begooler
2011-08-18, 06:33 PM
You could have a caryatid column from Fiend Folio. They have improved sunder, and are architectural constructs.
Perhaps, emerges from the platform itself.

Might be a little high CR for the party though.

Squiggles
2011-08-18, 06:46 PM
Load the Rust Monster catapult! Ready! Aim! Fire!

Gray Ooze dissolve metals and organic materials with powerful acid, that may work?

Maybe the Automatons from MMII, they certainly look the part.

Dralnu
2011-08-19, 07:25 PM
Armored-up troll with adamantine gauntlets could do it.

It has to be okay with plummeting to its death. Good idea with adamantine though, and troll would be able to take a beating long enough to accomplish its task.

Thoqqua? It's summonable with the contemporary SM/SNA spell and pretty much exists to melt things down. Maybe a couple?

Fluff-wise it's perfect, but statistically it's not good at destroying an iron chain unless it's missing something.

You could have a caryatid column from Fiend Folio. They have improved sunder, and are architectural constructs.
Perhaps, emerges from the platform itself.

I don't like its "Break Weapon" ability.

Load the Rust Monster catapult! Ready! Aim! Fire!

This can work. They look dumb enough to cut a chain without realizing they'd die after. And attacking one won't break your weapons so melee won't cry.

Maybe the Automatons from MMII, they certainly look the part.

The clockworks?

I think Rust Monster is winning right now. Bad guys keep them in wooden boxes, throw them onto the platform, nomnom chain.

Randomguy
2011-08-19, 08:20 PM
If you use a rust monster, make sure the rest of the platform is wooden, or else people will wonder why it went for the chain specifically.

big teej
2011-08-19, 08:53 PM
how about a ragewind?

it's a whirling vortex of weapons.

they could sick it on the platform and it could camp out on the square that contains the chain, slowly but surely whittling it down while the party tries to cope.

Crow
2011-08-19, 09:17 PM
I think with the troll, you could have it grip the chain with it's one hand, and sunder the chain with it's free hand. The platform plummits as the troll hangs from the chain and laughs!