PDA

View Full Version : Lemonus' Campaign World

Lemonus
2011-08-18, 08:47 PM
I'm going to be using this thread to write down my ideas for a 4e campaign world. Please give ideas or criticize, whichever. Don't expect this to be too good.

I'm thinking a world where all monsters are in fact the ones who rule the world. Instead of deep Dwarven halls, there instead might be deep tunnels dug by Bulettes. The "civilized" races are very rare, but have started to fight back. Recently, the Drow and Elves have formed a shaky truce, and are trying to reclaim the forests and the Underdark.

That's just a small starting outline. I'll post more once I get some sleep.

sdream
2011-08-23, 09:12 AM
If the monsters have formed civilizations, they are actually the civilized ones.

It could be cool multiple ways:

The "barbarian" elves, neandrathol dwarves, cannibal gnomes could filter in at the edges of monstrous society, horrifying stately land-shark matrons...

... and the party of "wild" races (but somewhat educated) could be trying to overcome the cultural fear and loathing of their kinds in "civilized" lands.

... or the party of "wild" races could have found an artifact, god, horror etc that boosted their stats (especially mental) well above their feral kinsman and now they plot to steal resources from the "civilized" lands to lead their races to supremacy.

... or the party of "civilized" mosters could be trying to preserve their civilization against the onslaught of the feral races.

... or the party of "civilized" monsters could be trying to bring order and enlightenment into the feral lands, to improve the lot of the noble savages, and their poor adorable children

In all the above cases, get comfortable with the swarm and mob templates, and putting class levels on monsters... alternately:

... the party of "civilized" mosters could get an incursion of strange and horrible creatures from a foreign land, that speak no civilized tongue, and slaughter men, women, and children of all races indescriminately. They must push back these ruthless and horrifically powerful creatures, and find out where they are coming from (normal DnD society) and arrange for them to stop (ally with an above ground BBEG to wipe them out, or win the respect of their leaders and treaties).

Sounds like fun!