PDA

View Full Version : Reviving yourself? 3.5

Aurenthal
2011-08-18, 10:14 PM
Can a dead wizard/cleric go to the material plane, and cast a wish/miracle/resurrection for reviving himself?

This is just for asking not for an actual game

TheCountAlucard
2011-08-18, 11:02 PM
Can a dead wizard/cleric go to the material plane, and cast a wish/miracle/resurrection for reviving himself?

This is just for asking not for an actual gameNot really - as a petitioner, he loses access to most of his class abilities. Also, wrong forum.

Zerter
2011-08-18, 11:05 PM
The petitioner rules are stupid, so I'm gonna go with yes.

flumphy
2011-08-18, 11:44 PM
Not really - as a petitioner, he loses access to most of his class abilities.

RAW, pretty much this.

In my homebrew settings I typically switch up the petitioner rules so that it is technically possible. However, there are consequences, and chances are those spellcasters will end up wishing they stayed dead. I suppose I watched All Dogs Go to Heaven too much as a child.

FelixG
2011-08-25, 07:47 AM
Out of curiosity, where are the rules for a Petitioner?

Feytalist
2011-08-25, 07:50 AM
Out of curiosity, where are the rules for a Petitioner?

Planar Handbook.

It might be somewhere else too, I'm not sure.

Edit: I know it was in the Manual of the Planes. I think it's in the Planar Handbook.

Ernir
2011-08-25, 08:12 AM
Petitioners (Manual of the Planes page 200) can not leave their planes.

However, I see nothing about them losing their spellcasting, and neither do I see anything in the spell descriptions that says it's not possible to cast resurrection spells outside the material plane. :smallconfused:

erikun
2011-08-25, 08:21 AM

However, I see nothing about them losing their spellcasting, and neither do I see anything in the spell descriptions that says it's not possible to cast resurrection spells outside the material plane. :smallconfused:
Well, except for the whole Range: Touch thing. The material component will probably be a bit tricky to manage without your equipment, as well.

I also thought that Petitioners lost their memories as well, as well as all but 1d4+2 class levels or something similar.

That said, it might be interesting to die on the deity's home plane, and then have to quest to re-locate your body and resurrect it before time runs out on the spell. It might also be interesting to succeed, only to find you took 120 years to do so.

Feytalist
2011-08-25, 08:22 AM

So it's possible for a petitioner to raise dead himself, and then... what? Be transported back to the material? Or perhaps he just loses the petitioner template and stays where he is? And then find his own way home?

Huh. That's an interesting idea...

Ernir
2011-08-25, 08:29 AM
Well, except for the whole Range: Touch thing. The material component will probably be a bit tricky to manage without your equipment, as well.
Touché.

I also thought that Petitioners lost their memories as well, as well as all but 1d4+2 class levels or something similar.
If it is, I missed it when I read the template description.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-25, 09:31 AM
One could double or triple wish to get a true resurection.

Wish one for your body to turn to dust.
Wish two for true resurection to rivive you in the afterlife plane.
Wish three to remove the parrisoner template so you can teleport home.

Or you could clone yourself post mortum and use the clone to resurect yourself. Nothing says you can't send the clone to the material plain after it is created and then use the clone ability to hop into it from the afterlife as you normaly would for a clone.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-25, 11:21 AM
There are numerous spells that trigger given certain conditions. Several of them allow for clerics and other divine casters to resurrect themselves via either a piddly 1000 GP (Revivify+Contingency) or something else (Pact of X or X Pact, see Spell Compendium, Heroes of Horror).