PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magi and Natural Weapons/Unarmed Strikes?

Larpus
2011-08-19, 01:52 AM
Can a Magus use Spellstrike with a Natural Weapon or Unarmed Strike?

Also, can he use the Arcane Pool to enchant his fists/claws as if he had an Amulet of Mighty Fists?

Baroncognito
2011-08-19, 02:36 AM
If you have levels of monk, I think so. Magic Weapon specifies that a Monk's Unarmed Strike counts as a weapon, and can be enhanced by the spell. I'd say that if it works for "Magic Weapon," it should work for the Magus ability.

Monk gives you improved unarmed strike, so you would only need "Weapon Focus (specific Natural Attack) to qualify for Feral Combat Training, which says that
Choose one of your natural weapons. While using the selected natural weapon, you can apply the effects of feats that have Improved Unarmed Strike as a prerequisite, as well as effects that augment an unarmed strike. Since the Magus abilities augment your unarmed strike, you should be able to have them augment your natural weapon that way.

I don't think it works if you don't have a level of monk. Improved Unarmed Strike says that you're always considered armed and that you can do lethal damage with your strikes, but Magic Weapon makes a distinction for Monks but not for Improved Unarmed Strike.

Andreaz
2011-08-19, 07:35 AM
Spell strike "sort of" already works baseline for natural weapons, unarmed strike included. Any touch spell can be so delivered by a normal attack with a natural weapon, but not in the round the spell was cast.

The actual class feature spell strike also works normally: Any weapon wielded may be used in this way.

"wield" is not "hold a manufactured weapon", it's "Handle a weapon". Natural weapons and unarmed strikes count with no problem.

Larpus
2011-08-19, 03:16 PM
I see, I see, thanks for the replies.

I was wondering that because I recently discovered the wonderful world of natural weapons and thought it would be cool if a Magus could enchant them an lessen the gap between them and manufactured weapons, but a 2 feat investment is kinda steep.

Also, thinking deeper into it chances are the Magus can only enchant a single weapon at a time, so no arcane pooled multiple natural attack shenanigans...sadly.