PDA

View Full Version : Help with Natural attack and secondary attack clarification

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 04:51 AM
So here is the situation. My character recently gained two extra arms that are now being used as a secondary attack. Also he now has multi attack rendering the secondary natural attack's at only a -2 mod instead of -5.

So, for instance if my BAB is +6/+1 and I make a full attack action

Would the following be true.

+6 on primary then +4 on the seconardy set from the two arms.

and then +1 on primary and -1 on the secondary set from the two arms again?

Baroncognito
2011-08-19, 05:10 AM
No. You only get +6 with the primary and +4 with the secondary.

Without feats, you only get one attack with each natural weapon in a full attack action.

So if you have Claw/Claw/Bite, you get +6/+6/+6.

Now, if you have Improved Unarmed Strike, you can instead treat your Unarmed Strikes as your Primary weapons and your primary weapons as secondary weapons, so you'd get: +6/+1 for unarmed strikes and +4 for all of your natural attacks.

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 05:13 AM
Well the primary attack is a with a weapon not unarmed.
So basicly I am better off taking just normal attacks with my weapon and ignoring the extra arms.

Baroncognito
2011-08-19, 05:20 AM
What are your arms capable of? Do they have natural weapons on them or are you just punching with them? Do you have Improved Unarmed Strike?

With a weapon, you get +6/+1 for the weapon and +4 for the seconary attacks.

candycorn
2011-08-19, 05:20 AM
You may combine the two.

If you have a BAB of +6, and you have 2 natural attacks, then, on a full attack action (with multiattack), you may do:

+6 (manufactured weapon) / +4 (natural weapon) / +4 (natural weapon) / +1 (manufactured weapon)

You do not, however, get more than one attack with each natural weapon. They only give 1 attack each, no matter what your BAB is. The only way to get more natural attacks is to get more natural weapons.

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 05:24 AM
The arms are being treated as guantlets ( for purpose of dmg IE 1d3+ 1/2 str in this case), however they were mechanically grafted on and as such being treated as if they were a natural attack.

It is a rather messy situation. My character was abducted and forced into this rather cybernetic esque change.

Baroncognito
2011-08-19, 05:25 AM
You do not, however, get more than one attack with each natural weapon. They only give 1 attack each, no matter what your BAB is. The only way to get more natural attacks is to get more natural weapons.

Well, there are feats you can take too. Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike in 3.5, Cyclone of Claws in Pathfinder.

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-19, 05:27 AM
The arms are being treated as guantlets, however they were mechanically grafted on and as such being treated as if they were a natural attack.

It is a rather messy situation. My character was abducted and forced into this rather cybernetic esque change.

I honestly think you should have a talk with your DM about getting those arms counted as normal arms. It's much less of a headache that way.

Grafts granting extra arms isn't exactly out of the question.

Rimeheart
Well, there are feats you can take too. Rapidstrike and Improved Rapidstrike in 3.5, Cyclone of Claws in Pathfinder.

I am not looking to increase the amount of attacks with the arms. I was merely trying to figure out how they would work with my standard weapon attack with a BAB offering more than one attack per round. Since I was not sure how to look up such a question in a book.

Baroncognito
The arms are being treated as guantlets, however they were mechanically grafted on and as such being treated as if they were a natural attack.

It won't hurt your primary attack rolls at all to use the secondary attacks, so you might as well use them if you've got them, unless you can do better things with the arms.

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 05:30 AM
It won't hurt your primary attack rolls at all to use the secondary attacks, so you might as well use them if you've got them, unless you can do better things with the arms.

Currently no, since trying to attack with a weapon in them would lead to massive penatlies.

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-19, 05:31 AM
If you have a manufactured weapon and some secondary natural attacks, you can take your full iterative attacks with your manufactured weapon and then attack with your natural attacks.

The only way to make natural attacks inapplicable in an attack routine is to, say, hold a weapon in the same hand your claws are on.

But really treating these grafts as normal arms would lead to far less headaches.

So your attack routine should be +6 weapon/+4 slam/+4 slam/+1 weapon. Plus Strength, of course. Your slams only deal 1/2 Strength modifier bonus damage, due to being secondary attacks.

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 05:34 AM
If you have a manufactured weapon and some secondary natural attacks, you can take your full iterative attacks with your manufactured weapon and then attack with your natural attacks.

The only way to make natural attacks inapplicable in an attack routine is to, say, hold a weapon in the same hand your claws are on.

But really treating these grafts as normal arms would lead to far less headaches.

So your attack routine should be +6 weapon/+4 slam/+4 slam/+1 weapon.

Well, treating them as normal is not in the flavor of what occured to him. Essentially it was as if aliens had landed abducted a farmer and turned him into their cybernetic warrior champion. Now, the rest of the party will hopefully save him from this gruesome fate.

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 05:36 AM
Thank you guys for the clarification!

Baroncognito
2011-08-19, 05:37 AM
Well, you don't necessarily need to use weapons in them.

If you hold a flask in one, you won't need to use a move action to take a potion of healing out of a bag.

Switching weapons between hands is a free action, so if you hold weapons in the new hands, you can switch from your hypothetical crossbow to your hypothetical long sword and still make a move or attack action without having to drop your crossbow (I've had combats where I've had to run back to a square to grab a weapon I'd dropped earlier).

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 05:39 AM
Well, you don't necessarily need to use weapons in them.

If you hold a flask in one, you won't need to use a move action to take a potion of healing out of a bag.

Switching weapons between hands is a free action, so if you hold weapons in the new hands, you can switch from your hypothetical crossbow to your hypothetical long sword and still make a move or attack action without having to drop your crossbow (I've had combats where I've had to run back to a square to grab a weapon I'd dropped earlier).

Hmm, thank you for the ideas on potion and weapon switching.

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-19, 05:39 AM
You can also reload crossbows just fine with your spare arms.

You can dual-wield hand crossbows this way. Which is pretty cool.

(Also, don't make slam attacks when your grafted hands are holding potions. It can only end in broken glass and tears.)

Rimeheart
2011-08-19, 05:45 AM
You can also reload crossbows just fine with your spare arms.

You can dual-wield hand crossbows this way. Which is pretty cool.

(Also, don't make slam attacks when your grafted hands are holding potions. It can only end in broken glass and tears.)

Depends on the potion... slam attack with alchemist fire in them ? Sounds a tad broken and funny.

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-19, 05:47 AM
If I were DMing I'd allow it, if only because you'd be in range of the splash as well.