PDA

View Full Version : The Trials of blood-Tiger

Kaim_the_angel
2011-08-19, 08:26 AM
The first thing you see are bars. You awake to find yourself sat on a prison bed, the door hangs open before you. Standing up you look around to find yourself in an old prison, long since abandoned.
Glancing through a window you see a busy street, full of people of assorted races, going about their lives.
As you continue to search the building you find a letter addressed to you sat on the wardens desk.
The games begin.

Archwizard
2011-08-20, 10:21 PM
A prison bed is my base of operation for this? How ironic, given the effort I've always put into avoiding spending time in a jail cell.

The Tiger then uses Retributive Invisibility on himself.

No sense in risking someone seeing me.

He then walks over to the letter and quickly pockets it before beginning a thorough search of the prison.

Take 20 on Search: 24. Detect Magic is active constantly. Have low-light vision and darkvision 60', so no creating light sources for dark areas for searching.

Also, will re-use Retributive Invisibility every 18 rounds to maintain constant invisible status.

Course of action after this depends on results of searching/detecting magic.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-08-21, 05:12 PM
The prison is empty, the letter reads.

Dear Lucius.
Congratulations on accepting my invitation and best of luck in the contest.
As a sporting chance to all contestants, I have made it impossible to locate one another via magical means, this will allow each of you to utilize your own cunning to find your foes when needed. If you are to become Lord Assassian, you will find reliance on your own abilities, rather than magic, is far more useful.
Incased in the box is a small device with which you may contact your Sponser, who will aid you in many ways. Please Open the box immedietly to recive your first assignment.
Best regards
The Spider

Archwizard
2011-08-23, 02:52 PM
The Tiger leaves the prison and goes into the city, looking for a remote tower to camp out in. He scans the city as he flies about, looking for signs of the people he saw in that room. Once he finds a suitable spot, he contacts his sponsor.

I don't know about the architecture of this city, but if it's anything like European style, there should be plenty of towers (churches, etc) that are pretty much doing nothing but collecting dust.

Also, minor precision note, I hadn't actually said I read the letter in the jail, I wasn't intending on reading the letter until after the above action of finding a tower to hide in.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-08-27, 05:42 PM
As you head towards the exit you notice a small box liying on the ground, you almost immediatly recognise it as the box that was within the envelope, which was about two floors above you, somehow, it has appeared down here.
It bears a small note
OPEN ME

Archwizard
2011-08-27, 06:07 PM
Interesting.... Tiger thinks as he picks up the box and opens it.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-08-27, 07:10 PM
The Moment you open the box somthing springs out, a small worm like creature tears out and lands on your skin, beofre you can stop it the creature burrows into your skin, leaving a fine pool of blood behind it. A sharp pain runs through your arm, then your chest, in less than ten seconds the creature has reached your brain. A sharp pain in your head makes it seem like your life is over
Then you hear a voice
~Good morrow, Lucius my birdie, what for do you fly your coupe?~

Archwizard
2011-08-27, 07:55 PM
I am so confused. I didn't fly my coop, as in my understanding is that the coop is the city itself.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-08-27, 08:01 PM
As I stated in the opening rules, your base of operations is where you start, the letters are orders about how to begiin the missions, you where leaving your homebase before reciving instructions, therefore "Flying the coop"

Archwizard
2011-08-27, 08:34 PM
As I stated in the opening rules, your base of operations is where you start, the letters are orders about how to begiin the missions, you where leaving your homebase before reciving instructions, therefore "Flying the coop"

That was in no way clear. You did not say that we were restricted to our base of operations unless given permission to leave, you only said we're not allowed to leave the city. I was intentionally going somewhere else to receive instructions in order to not be seen in my base of operations doing things others would also be doing.

I think your explanation of that and handling of it stinks.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-08-28, 06:28 AM
If you read the letter again, it states to open the box Immeditly this is clearly an order.
Please remeber that i am currently running 11 games and therefore cannot contain a constant state of perfection in my posts, there will be errors. In addition as your first mission (which the sponser was about to give you) was to lay traps and defenses in your Base of operations, so by saying "Why are you flying the coop" I was keeping you here to save the needless posting of
"I fly across the city, oh wait I have to be back there, i fly back."

Archwizard
2011-09-02, 04:38 AM
If you read the letter again, it states to open the box Immeditly this is clearly an order.
Please remeber that i am currently running 11 games and therefore cannot contain a constant state of perfection in my posts, there will be errors. In addition as your first mission (which the sponser was about to give you) was to lay traps and defenses in your Base of operations, so by saying "Why are you flying the coop" I was keeping you here to save the needless posting of
"I fly across the city, oh wait I have to be back there, i fly back."

I missed one word, and frankly I'm not totally convinced it's reasonable to interpret that as a direct order.

Edit: Why I find the tone not convincing as a direct order: the word please. "Please open immediately" has a much different tone than "Open immediately."

"A sharp pain runs through your arm, then your chest, in less than ten seconds the creature has reached your brain. A sharp pain in your head makes it seem like your life is over"

You essentially threatened to kill my character for missing a word, because you didn't want me to have to post to fly back? I find that to be pretty uncool, and sets up a game world that I'm not sure I want to play in.

I've been mulling that over, which is why the big delay in my posts. Honestly, I'm still not sure I want to play in this world. And that is sad, I wasn't kidding when I said I was super excited to play this game, and in one post you managed to drag that enthusiasm out back and shoot it.

A better way to handle that? Have someone waiting for me when I get back because I left it unguarded, and say "This is why when a letter says immediately, you do it immediately, you left yourself vulnerable." Basically, emphasize what the character did wrong (not opening immediately) without grossly overreacting to the infraction. If I had tried to leave the city, then blast the character into a million bits.

Anyway, sorry I ramble a bit in here.

I have not decided to continue or withdraw yet, but at this point one thing that does concern me is: is there a point to my even worrying about continuing? Since, in theory, all of us are playing simultaneously, I would imagine others have advanced within the timeline quite a bit past the first 20 minutes or wherever I am.

Unless you feel the need to make the decision for me, I'll let you know today what I want to do.

Kaim_the_angel
2011-09-02, 09:00 AM
Personally I belive you are massivly over reacting to a single phrase from a character, so far I had not punished you in the slightest, simply made a charcter voice his own opinion on your actions.

EDIT: As a continuation, the thing crawling into your head, is not a punishment, in fact it has happened to literally every single player in the campaign. It's a plot device, and rather than see what it is, you instantly belived it to be me punishing you with death for a very minor act.
I will be the first to admit that my writing was in no way perfect in most of the previous posts and that errors in my writing may cause problems, but i f mentioned I am happy to rectify certian errors on my part.

Archwizard
2011-09-02, 10:03 PM
Perhaps, but keep in mind I have no way of knowing that happened to every other player, I've been a good boy :smallamused:.

And the reason I viewed it as a punishment was the combination of "A sharp pain in your head makes it seem like your life is over" and "~Good morrow, Lucius my birdie, what for do you fly your coupe?~"

Essentially, questioning the action, with no other message, right after the phrase 'seem like life is over', is what I reacted to. At this point, I'm merely trying to explain how the phrases read to me. This is one of the real pitfalls here of PbP games, where it's text only and very time-delayed. In a real-time game, this almost certainly would have been resolved in less than 5 minuets of discussion/RP.

I'm game to pick up from receiving my first task from my sponsor if you think it's practicable for the game to do so.